FFXIV To Impose Game Play Time Limit!?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » FFXIV to impose game play time limit!?
FFXIV to impose game play time limit!?
First Page 2 3 4
By Acemister 2010-08-27 04:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

From http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40643/FFXIV-to-impose-gameplay-time-limit

Square Enix has revealed that it will be implementing new measures in upcoming MMO Square Enix that are designed to narrow the gap between hardcore players of the genre and more casual players.

Kotaku reports that the game will allow players eight hours of unrestricted play. Once that barrier is passed, however, there will be an incremental decline in the amount of experience points players can earn over the next seven hours.

Once that time’s up, the chance to gain experience is removed. This is then reset after one week. The restriction only applies to one class, however, so players will be free to switch to another character class and level that up instead.

The game’s director Nobuaki Komoto says that the model is deigned to prevent those with less time to dedicate to the game from suffering such a notable disadvantage when compared to gamers with plenty of time to plough into the game.

It’s a curious decision from Square Enix, and one that Komoto admits could be tweaked prior to release.
Article continues below

Advertisement
Koch

The MMO genre is synonymous with ‘grinding’ – that is, long play sessions involving repetition of tasks with the sole intention of levelling up. The genre’s dedicated fan base revels in it. Is it wise to implement measures specifically designed to block such usage, particularly when users will be paying monthly to play the game?
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-27 05:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Multiple threads on this already.
[+]
 Phoenix.Crimsontears
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Crimsontears 2010-09-11 21:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Total BS.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
Server: Caitsith
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-09-11 22:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

They should just give you an 'exp buff' thats potency and/or duration increases with the number of hours you're logged off (see Aion :x). So, casual players level faster and 24/7 players aren't being gimped. ^^

Edit: Bad apostrophe. >.<
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-11 22:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
They should just give you an 'exp buff' that's potency and/or duration increases with the number of hours you're logged off (see Aion :x). So, casual players level faster and 24/7 players aren't being gimped. ^^

Do you, or are you gonna play 14?
 Caitsith.Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-09-11 22:07:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I may, but probably not for a while. School is demanding most of my free time, but we'll see what the future holds. :3
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-11 22:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
I may, but probably not for a while. School is demanding most of my free time, but we'll see what the future holds. :3

I'm waiting till March for the PS3 version.
By Izey 2010-09-11 22:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
They should just give you an 'exp buff' thats potency and/or duration increases with the number of hours you're logged off (see Aion :x). So, casual players level faster and 24/7 players aren't being gimped. ^^

This.^
 Caitsith.Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-09-11 22:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Caitsith.Zefiris said:

I'm waiting till March for the PS3 version.
Lol, I don't own a PS3 and I'm pretty sure my laptop isn't up to par with the requirements for FFXIV, so I'm not entirely sure it's possible for me to play anyway! But if I could, I'd so be a mithra. They're freaking adorable in this game. T_T I did play a Wii for the first time last weekend... sword fighting and archery ftw! Mario Kart too. ;D
Izey said:
Caitsith.Zefiris said:

This.^

Hehe, it's a total ripoff from Aion but I thought it was a good idea. :3
I hear a lot of talk about an exp penalty in FFXIV though it seems like people say it's only a rumor. *shrug*
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-09-11 22:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This is so lame.

We're paying to play the game and they want to tell us how long we can play it for? WTF? I know it's only for one job, but what if someone doesn't WANT to play another job? I don't think we should be penalized because we prefer to play one job over the other.

Zefiris' XP Buff idea sounds a lot better.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2010-09-11 22:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Why should I pay monthly just so I can play only 8 hours a week?
[+]
 Bahamut.Nixak
Server: Bahamut
user: Nixak
By Bahamut.Nixak 2010-09-11 22:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Izey said:
Caitsith.Zefiris said:

This.^

Hehe, it's a total ripoff from Aion but I thought it was a good idea. :3
I hear a lot of talk about an exp penalty in FFXIV though it seems like people say it's only a rumor. *shrug*
[/quote]

I thought that was ripoff from WoW.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-09-11 22:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Nixak said:
I thought that was ripoff from WoW.

Oh, you're probably right. However, I've never played WoW. Forgive my ingnorance. ^^
 Lakshmi.Ricco
Server: Lakshmi
user: Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-09-11 23:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So you hand SE money and they tell you how long you can use the product you're paying for how nice of them :)
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-11 23:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

OP needs to dig a little deeper next time for the whole story. Yes there is a threshold on the amount of xp you can gain at one time. However you don't have to wait a full week for the threshold to reset. Doing other tasks such as farming, quests, missions and the like will reset the limit much quicker, allowing you to xp faster. SE's system as is right now is designed to slow the hardcore players down instead of keeping the casual and hardcore player more closely confined.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-09-11 23:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Well no but if you're not going to get exp on the job whats the point of staying on that job silly
[+]
 Ramuh.Mairah
Server: Ramuh
user: Mairah
By Ramuh.Mairah 2010-09-11 23:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I dun get the logic people are having. So you can't level one job 168 hours a week oh noes. If all you do when you play an mmo is exp *** one job non-stop for hours and hours on end, go for it, but there is plenty else to do in the game that you can play more than just 8 hours a week.
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-11 23:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The only person in our shell on Trabia who hit surplus was cloudXIV and was RIGHT at the end of the week so it really made no difference.
 Lakshmi.Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-09-11 23:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Mairah said:
I dun get the logic people are having. So you can't level one job 168 hours a week oh noes. If all you do when you play an mmo is exp *** one job non-stop for hours and hours on end, go for it, but there is plenty else to do in the game that you can play more than just 8 hours a week.

yeah but what if you want to only play one job or only one interests you at launch? IIRC from the polls that were done by SE i recall leveling jobs was the highest %. Many people prefer to level then do quests when you don't need a huge group of people to get them done :P
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-11 23:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

What else is there going to be at the launch? Missions, Quests, Farming and leveling. There's only going to be so many Missions and quests available so those will be knocked out fairly quickly most likely. Farming for whatever you happen to need to level. Leveling is going to be your primary entertainment for the beginning stages of the game so why not take the time and try different jobs?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-09-11 23:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose but how many people did that in XI most people i knew hit 75 then leveled other jobs exception being sub jobs.
I'm just saying for some people who really only want to level one job as you can see I like to level almost everything lol but I see many ppl on here who only have one capped job and only like to focus on that one job.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-09-12 00:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ricco said:
I suppose but how many people did that in XI most people i knew hit 75 then leveled other jobs exception being sub jobs.
I'm just saying for some people who really only want to level one job as you can see I like to level almost everything lol but I see many ppl on here who only have one capped job and only like to focus on that one job.

Couple things to keep in mind. When XI was first released in Japan, the level limit was only 30. It was later raised to 50 while NA beta was going on and received subsequent raises there after. You're not going to see a whole lot of levels up front.

The jobs in XIV aren't going to play like XI. People will branch out and try various jobs to get a feel for them and decide if they like the job or not.
[+]
 Ramuh.Mairah
Server: Ramuh
user: Mairah
By Ramuh.Mairah 2010-09-12 00:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
Lakshmi.Ricco said:

Couple things to keep in mind. When XI was first released in Japan, the level limit was only 30. It was later raised to 50 while NA beta was going on and received subsequent raises there after. You're not going to see a whole lot of levels up front.

The jobs in XIV aren't going to play like XI. People will branch out and try various jobs to get a feel for them and decide if they like the job or not.

Not only that but from what my friend was explaining to me ( He leveled everything to 10 in beta) You can use abilities from different classes if you have it leveled, much like subjobs. Not exactly sure how it works but leveling multiple things can work to your benefit.
By Flionheart 2010-09-12 00:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Mairah said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
Lakshmi.Ricco said:

Not only that but from what my friend was explaining to me ( He leveled everything to 10 in beta) You can use abilities from different classes if you have it leveled, much like subjobs. Not exactly sure how it works but leveling multiple things can work to your benefit.

It does. Levelling up Pugilist for Gladiator for example is an incredibly good idea due to getting abilities like Second Wind and Taunt.
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Server: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-09-12 00:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I only have a problem if they don't have more than just two mage classes at start.

I plan on grinding them to cap as quickly as I can so I feel more free to wander around.

If they are going to do this to help people who game less than they need a bonus for those who play more, like say anima recharging while you're online.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-09-12 00:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said:
Because 8 hours a week is 32 hours a month, for 13 dollars. That's 40 cents an hour.

Try finding any other form of entertainment that's that cheap.
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Server: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-09-12 00:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Valefor.Prothescar said:
Because 8 hours a week is 32 hours a month, for 13 dollars. That's 40 cents an hour.

I thought it was 15 dollars.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-12 00:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Valefor.Prothescar said:

I thought it was 15 dollars.

I'm fairly certain that it is $12.99 for 30 days.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-09-12 00:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Valefor.Prothescar said:

FFXI?!
[+]
First Page 2 3 4