Forum » FFXI » General » Connection help
Connection help
 Seraph.Jacaut
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2009-01-22 19:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay hi there FFXIAH peeps~ so i moved into my new apartment and i dont know if FFXI hates me, or if my connection just sucks. my internet runs fine and i download a little slower then i use to, but that runs okay too. when i go to log onto FFXI it lets me onto POL but past that it usually crashes saying i dont have an internet connection. or if it lets me log onto my char it kicks me off 45 seconds later. any clue what to do? been like 2-3 weeks with out playing and in that time ive realised i truely am addicted to FFXI with the little time i play lol. been off work the wholllle time i havent been able to play, kinda kicking myself in the head.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Seraph.Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2009-01-22 21:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

sorry XD not good with this kinda shtuff well im on a dell laptop inspirion 1521 2 gigs ram wireless internet, . . . not sure who through it was included through the price of the apartment ;;. there is no modem, just a ethernet plug in next to the phone jack where i plug my router right into it. friend said its cable but im not sure what it is.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-22 21:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

How many people are in your building? If there's like 8 apartments, times 1.5 computers per family (just a guess, we have like 7 different wireless networks in my building of 8 units, makes finding a free channel a pain in the *** lol), thats a lot of people sucking on the same bandwidth, which could impact an online game (since games are constantly communicating back and forth, as opposed to web pages)

Do you know anyone that has their own internet connection you could take your laptop to to test FFXI? That'd be a good way to tell if your internet connection is to blame and not your laptop.
 Seraph.Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2009-01-22 21:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

well its a connection per apartment actually =D out of what i know atleast. and yeah i tested it @ some random *** wifi in town, worked fine. but my friend said something about that some connections can run fine, but when it comes to online games it can limit your bandwith for them and idk anything about that ***was hoping there was something i could do if that was the problem.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Seraph.Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2009-01-22 22:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

well i dont really know what info is needed so if you can ask in "computer for dummies" terms ill give it to you ^^. Summary from my end. internet works perfect for web surfing and downloading music/movies/xbox live/etc but as soon as i try to start ffxi on my laptop it just dies after i log onto POL. and ive tried shutting everything down except FFXI and still didnt work. is there anywhere i can look up the POL error codes to see what they mean?
 Garuda.Crayne
Server: Garuda
user: Crayne
By Garuda.Crayne 2009-01-22 23:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It definately sounds like prioritized traffic to me...since I've been playing FFXI with ridiculous lag for 2 years now at college, behind a packet shaper, I know some of the symptoms...

Basically, in this system, priorities are set on data sent and received based on type and destination, and maybe by program process name (pol.exe, for example). What it does it let stuff like port 80 (generally web browsing) thru without much trouble, but stuff further down the list like MMORPGs and p2p downloads are either put at a priority so low they come to a crawl or get blocked entirely.

Or it could just be an issue with your building's firewall. Find out who the network administrator is and talk to them, it usually helps. In my case though, it didn't lol.

GL, I hope it gets fixed...the last thing Seraph needs is another version of me (10 seconds lag on average >.>)
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-22 23:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I know a few people that have gone through this as well, with certain types of connections getting extremely low priority over other, standard types. I remember the first time I ever even heard about it; oh so many years ago, there was a massive uproar at the local college because good old Napster was literally eating up every kb of bandwidth running through the dorms. In the end (or should I say, as soon as they caught on lol) they completely blocked Napster, and the students, boy were they pissed :)

At any rate, talking to whoever administers your network is a good start, but unless they are also an online gamer, I wouldn't hold my breath for much sympathy or help. Friends of mine that play WoW in student housing generally get the proverbial "finger" when it comes to asking their NA to open a few ports so they can get their MMO fix.

Since your connection holds strong outside of the home, you've pretty much found your problem, and if possible, I would look into getting your own internet service. May not be possible where you live (and if that's the case, that truly sucks), but if it is, and it's in your budget, at least you won't have to deal with that anymore, plus you can forward your own ports and streamline your network as you see fit. And (this is on the "hush hush"), if you know other people in your building that play online games, you can even work out some kind of shared cost situation. Works wonders for a friend of mine in a similar situation. Just don't ever ever tell your ISP, they generally get a little pissed about that stuff lol
 Seraph.Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2009-01-22 23:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

lol wellllll thanks for the help. yeah i had a little mix up with transfering my job here, so no work for 2 weeks now >.< definately gonna get my OWN internet as soon as i get caught up on bills though, gogo tax time~ lol ill just go bum off some wifi in town for the meantime XD
 Carbuncle.Shutupanddie
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Shutupanddie 2009-01-23 02:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

sounds like wifi keeps beconing, thus doing so is looking for router and timing out creating packet loss. reason you can stay on web is because longer time out values, also you hit webpage imed stop downloading. you would not notice much packet loss through web. video game streams bandwidth, 1 packet dropped is a dc. just my two cents..

** you can get something called.... callled... "thinking" what it does sits midway from router to wifi. gateway? any rate, itll snag too weak wifi signal from w/e, keep a good RF signal and pass that on to your in home wifi.
 Seraph.Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2009-01-23 02:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

soooo new info, im doomed to get on here XD. i can get on now every once in awhile for 2-3 min before i hit this "FFXI-4002" then pol 0215 and get kicked... i searched google and what i got out of 4002 is my router's firewall is screwing me over. so i went in and opened port forwarding like it said but still wont work. gonna try plugging the ethernet cable straight from the wall into my laptop tomorrow see if its just the router hurting me =/ lol
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-01-23 17:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah for awhile now i been getting DCed non stop after a few hours of gameplay

connection is fine PC is fine ports are fun

the DC's started about 2 weeks ago
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-23 17:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cardinalgate said:
yeah for awhile now i been getting DCed non stop after a few hours of gameplay

connection is fine PC is fine ports are fun

the DC's started about 2 weeks ago

I've got a friend that exact same thing has been happening to for 5 years now. Everything is good on his end, but for some reason his network just hates FFXI. He had to bring his laptop over to my house for his Maat fight cause he was paranoid he was gonna get booted mid fight lol...

Funny thing is, back when I played WoW, it was the same for me (even worse, actually, more like every 15-20 minutes)...and his connection to WoW was solid as ***. So who knows...
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-01-23 17:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have Comcast, its probably their voodoo witch magic.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-01-23 17:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

i would play "女神転生IMAGINE" for 3 days without logging out and i wont be get disconnected whatsoever unless the server is going down
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-26 06:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't know if you got this fixed yet hope you have. If you're buying your internet connection from the same people you pay your rent to then it could be a problem with them setting it so certain "bandwidth intensive" applications cannot be used or on low prioty so you can use them for a short time until someone else in the building uses internet for something with higher priority.

The way it works at my place is I share my appartment with 3 others in a block of about 150 people buying our connection from same people we pay rent to. They give two options for connection because we're in student accomodation; 1. gives you basic connection doesnt support gaming (I tried ffxi and no connection to pol whatsoever but browsing net was fine) and 2. higher bandwidth and gaming support which costs way more(which I know use, though ffxi cuts out for about a hour every 6 hours -.-).

Try speaking with your landlord about the issue, if their not internet savy try and buy a direct connection with a large net provider such as AOL or w/e and their should be nothing (except your firewall, be sure that ffxi and pol viewer are selected under "allowed programs" on your firewall settings) to stop you connecting I don't think.

Anyways, I know how frustrating it is not being able to play for a length of time =( so good luck hope it works out for ya ;)