Forum » FFXIV » General » Need advice on buying a computer. ( that will run
Need advice on buying a computer. ( that will run
First Page 2 3
 Shiva.Ninaa
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-08-23 16:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I have never bought a computer before, we've always had family computers that were pretty basic, but I would like to buy one for myself, mostly for gaming(ffxiv in particular, for now), internet, and word processing. I don't want anything crazy, but I would like it to not suck.

I would like suggestions as to where to go to buy it, and what to ask for.

I just don't want to end up buying more than I need, or less.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-23 16:13:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you building, or buying pre-built?
 Shiva.Ninaa
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-08-23 16:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably pre-built, as that would be easiest, and I am not very confident in building one. But if you suggest otherwise, I could probably go either way.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-23 16:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Okie dokie. What kind of budget are we talking here?
 Lakshmi.Strey
Server: Lakshmi
user: Strey
By Lakshmi.Strey 2010-08-23 16:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Depending on where you buy from I may be of assitance since I am a computer sales at Best Buy and also a Builder in m free time. But as the post above the budget is going to make or break what you get.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-08-23 16:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

With prebuilt, you pay for crapwear preinstalled on your computer that is really garbage (no MS Office, bunch of "sign up for AOL" things, etc), but you also get warranty and stuff.

With a build-it-yourself you can get the same computer for a lot cheaper. I think I posted in a thread about the difference between them and proved that prebuilt vs do it yourself saved $1000 on the machine I spec'd. This was the highest end dell you can buy vs newegg.

You do have to spend time putting it together and if something breaks dealing with different warranty centers. For a novice when it comes to computers and for someone who wants a machine that is "good enough" I would suggest prebuilt.
 Shiva.Ninaa
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-08-23 16:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know. I have the money, but I don't want to bankrupt myself. As I have never bought a computer before, I am not quite sure what a good price would be. That is one of the reasons that I need help, I don't want to go over board. would 600-1000$ be sufficient?

Edit: let's say less than 2k?
 Asura.Nightbear
Server: Asura
user: Nightbear
By Asura.Nightbear 2010-08-23 16:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

over 9000 dollars!!! jk~
I'm building one my self, is not hard to put one together anymore. never been actually just back in the 90s~, every component will only fit were is supoused to fit.

Chosing what you want is the hard part since most of the time it will hurt your wallet,I want to builda a "Basic" pc for gaming so im looking @ a 700$-900$ , buying prebuilt might save you time and grant an extended guaranty from the store as well for most cases.
 Asura.Meowzma
user: meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2010-08-23 16:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't intend to be rude to you specifically, but there seems to be a lot of these posts cropping up lately.

Does the entire FFXI playerbase use a Gameboy to play the game? Why do so many people seem to think they need a PC from the 30th century to play FFXIV?

This thread is going to go 2 ways: one road will have a ton of guys having a nerd-rage over their PCs stocking 12GB RAM+ and only using <300MB for FFXI, with the rest on multiple tabs of redtube, other other road will lead to people quoting 10 posts and responding with "lol", followed by people posting makeshift PCs they found on Google.
 Asura.Nightbear
By Asura.Nightbear 2010-08-23 16:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

No offence to Best buy , but is not the best place to buy parts for a build-it-yourself pc :P price wise i mean.

600-1000 will make you a pc that runs XIV easly.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-23 16:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meowzma said:
I don't intend to be rude to you specifically, but there seems to be a lot of these posts cropping up lately.

Does the entire FFXI playerbase use a Gameboy to play the game? Why do so many people seem to think they need a PC from the 30th century to play FFXIV?

This thread is going to go 2 ways: one road will have a ton of guys having a nerd-rage over their PCs stocking 12GB RAM+ and only using <300MB for FFXI, with the rest on multiple tabs of redtube, other other road will lead to people quoting 10 posts and responding with "lol", followed by people posting makeshift PCs they found on Google.

Or we'd actually give advice, like most people do on AH.
 Asura.Meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2010-08-23 16:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Advice on buying an over the top machine that the original poster will probably never fill.
 Lakshmi.Strey
By Lakshmi.Strey 2010-08-23 16:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I find somtimes the best way to go is since alot of retail stores bu in bulk they get discounts on bulk buys so they can sell cheaper than manufacture stores and some online non retail stores. If ou did not want the hastle of building your own I would recomend buying a decently powerd macine without a dedicated graphics card to get it a little cheaper and then order a good graphics card from newegg. I have seen that Bestbuy sells computers cheaper than newegg but newegg crushed bestbuy in computer component prices, they beat my employee discount somtimes lol.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-23 16:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meowzma said:
Advice on buying an over the top machine that the original poster will probably never fill.

'Future proof'

You don't build a PC for a singular game. If you do, you're doing it wrong.

Build it for future games.
 Shiva.Ninaa
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-08-23 16:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meowzma said:

I play XI on xbox, and my options are buying a PC, or buying a ps3, I don't think I need anything from the 30th century, but I know I need more that what our family computer has. Sorry, if there are lots of topics, I've just never bought a computer before, and after looking at all the options, I am a little lost.
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-08-23 16:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow im fail.. I had no idea wtf redtube was <_< thanks google -.-
 Asura.Nightbear
By Asura.Nightbear 2010-08-23 16:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

try this out http://mpcoutlet.com/

Is were i get my stuff from.
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-08-23 16:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Strey said:
I find somtimes the best way to go is since alot of retail stores bu in bulk they get discounts on bulk buys so they can sell cheaper than manufacture stores and some online non retail stores. If ou did not want the hastle of building your own I would recomend buying a decently powerd macine without a dedicated graphics card to get it a little cheaper and then order a good graphics card from newegg. I have seen that Bestbuy sells computers cheaper than newegg but newegg crushed bestbuy in computer component prices, they beat my employee discount somtimes lol.

store personal computers will most likely have shitty power supply and motherboard.
 Asura.Meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2010-08-23 16:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ninaa said:
Asura.Meowzma said:
See above.

I play XI on xbox, and my options are buying a PC, or buying a ps3, I don't think I need anything from the 30th century, but I know I need more that what our family computer has. Sorry, if there are lots of topics, I've just never bought a computer before, and after looking at all the options, I am a little lost.

Like I said, I'm not specifically aiming at you.

I would go for PC over the PS3 for obvious reasons; consoles generally have a 4 year turn over (when Xbox was first launch, Gates wanted to make it 2 and was shot down).
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-23 16:31:03
Link | Quote | Reply

lol @ MMO on a console.
[+]
By Zekko 2010-08-23 16:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

PCs are outdated the day you buy them. I work in a PC store and i have built many PCs just to try out FFXIV. My currant one is tri-fire 5870s and and I7 Extreme. It'll be outdated by next month by say tri 5970s or NVIDIAs next gen card. You can play FFXIV on High with an I7 930 with a Radeon 5850/5770. Which is less than 1000$
 Lakshmi.Strey
By Lakshmi.Strey 2010-08-23 16:32:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The budget graphics card I worderd for FFXIV was the MSI GTX460 Cyclone since it does not have the over heating isues of the 465-470-480. Plus the cyclone has an amazing cooler on it. ( bought two and hope FFXIV supports SLI lol) It's a direct-X 11 card which is good and supports 3D ready if you ever wanted to do 3D in the future. I would look into somthing like that and buying a prebuilt ASUS desktop without a dedicated card in it already. There is an i5 Asus desktop computer at bestbuy right now which is shifting out for the new modle coming in. So you may be able to get that one cheep if the store near you discounts them more to make way for the next one. The i5 will be more than enough for FFXIV.
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-08-23 16:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

you open up the pc and look inside... stuff is made in Taiwan or China etc...
 Lakshmi.Strey
By Lakshmi.Strey 2010-08-23 16:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:
Lakshmi.Strey said:
store personal computers will most likely have shitty power supply and motherboard.
The power supplies usally suck I agree there may have to upgrade that, but atleast Asus manufactures decent motherboards unlike other companies who dont even design thier own. Personally EVGA is my MOBO company.
 Shiva.Ninaa
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-08-23 16:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I am looking at the advice here, and I can't understand half of what is said, so I think I am probably going to go with a pre-built.

I am sure that I could put everything together if I had all the pieces, but I have no idea what pieces I need in the first place.
By Zekko 2010-08-23 16:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ninaa said:
I am looking at the advice here, and I can't understand half of what is said, so I think I am probably going to go with a pre-built.

I am sure that I could put everything together if I had all the pieces, but I have no idea what pieces I need in the first place.

You can find sites that build them for you that are cheaper than pre-built rip off stores
 Lakshmi.Strey
By Lakshmi.Strey 2010-08-23 16:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

For exsperience the main things you want to look at are Processor, Graphics Card, and Ram. When buying a perbuilt you come across the issue of the choices you have only have one good thing out of those three things I listed above. In what I have seen is that prebuilts usally lack or over charge if it has a dedicated graphics card in it since they add a laor charge to snap it in. So buing a prebuilt machine at a better price that has decent ram and a good processor is the way to go and plug in a graphics card yourself. You will save money that way.
 Hades.Tudds
Server: Hades
user: rabbits
By Hades.Tudds 2010-08-23 16:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok Im kinda in the same situation but have to get a laptop as i travel loads does anyone know of laptop that could run ff14 and get a 6000+ score or even 8000+ on the benchmark I realise its gonna be expensive ( or impossible ) but if money was no object would it be a fully customised Alienware M17X or has anyone heard of something thats out or coming out that could blow it away ( maybe a custom build laptop? )
The best ones I can find on the web seem to be the M17X or Asus G73JH-TZ008V
You have a $1 million dollar budget GoGoGo
Thanks
 Shiva.Ninaa
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-08-23 16:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
Shiva.Ninaa said:

You can find sites that build them for you that are cheaper than pre-built rip off stores

I have been looking at a few sites, but I am not sure if any of them are reputable:

http://www.buydirectpc.com/

http://www.ibuypower.com/

Lakshmi.Strey
By Lakshmi.Strey 2010-08-23 16:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I would go with ASUS, I just dont like Dells lol and Asus has a good rep. But since im not a dell fan I do not look at them much so i dont know mow much it compairs. ut the 1GB of DDR5 graphics in the ASUS i7 computer is nice.
First Page 2 3