Forum » FFXI » General » Dual Box Walkthrough
Dual Box Walkthrough
First Page 2
 Fenrir.Tool
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-19 19:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello dual boxers. I am going to embark on running two accounts at once for double the fun, and double the productivity this September. However, as the month comes closer and closer, I want to do my homework and get some help in knowing what the process of getting this up and running is.

I would like to think it is as simple as creating a new account and keeping the same personal/billing information as the original account and simply registering new CD-keys as FFXI is obviously installed already.

Also, is it possible to link another account to a currently active Square-Enix account so that I can get satchels for my characters on my new account?

I appreciate the help everyone~
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-08-19 19:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't you make this thread already?
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-19 19:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

No, my previous one was about how one would go about controlling both characters on multiple instances of FFXI. This one is about the creation/registration process of getting it up and running. I apologize for the confusion.
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-08-19 19:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tool said:
No, my previous one was about how one would go about controlling both characters on multiple instances of FFXI. This one is about the creation/registration process of getting it up and running. I apologize for the confusion.

yes its that simple, and yes you can get satchel on it with your linked account.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-19 19:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Axle said:
Fenrir.Tool said:

yes its that simple, and yes you can get satchel on it with your linked account.

Thank you.
I'm not sure how or why I convinced myself it was more complicated than it actually was. But just a few more questions:

My second account won't be billed until I register FFXI and create a content ID correct?

Also, is it possibly to simply buy the CD keys from POL directly, as not to go out and buy another needless physical copy of the game.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-19 23:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Blargh, looks like I'm going to have to buy another copy of the ultimate edition of FFXI to get my registry keys, as buying them individually are $10 a piece.

POL won't give me any headaches for having the same personal/billing info on a new account will they?
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-19 23:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

it depends tool about the multiple accts registered to 1 creditcard.. I had a friend a while back who had 3 accounts on his CC and got banned for suspected rmt activity, but then I've had my creditcard on like 20 accounts and theyre all here lol so maybe they've loosened on it as far as rmt goes with no free accts anymore
 Phoenix.Esaias
user: Esaias
By Phoenix.Esaias 2010-08-19 23:42:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 3 accounts,

I pay for my brother's account which is on 360. The account which my wife used to use which i now use for a mule, and my main. I have the mule and main on the same SE account and have satchels. The cheapest way to go for the Keys was ultimate PC version. I used on 360 and ps3 but just needed the keys ^^.

I havent had any troubles with keeping multiple accounts on one credit card.

Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-08-19 23:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tool said:
Blargh, looks like I'm going to have to buy another copy of the ultimate edition of FFXI to get my registry keys, as buying them individually are $10 a piece.

POL won't give me any headaches for having the same personal/billing info on a new account will they?

When I started my alt I purchased the game off steam to get my codes although I'll avoid ever installing again using steam, it *** my entire system up and I had to fully reinstall.

Never had any billing issues having multi accounts, I've had 5 billing off my card at one time although for some reason I can't update billing info on the pc due to the secure code crap. I have to use my PS2 or my in-law's 360 to get around it.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-19 23:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

yea man that secure code thing is ***.. it charges you 1$ every time you have to change your creditcard
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 00:09:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright. Might wanna call Playonline just to confirm things. I rather not get banned for simply dual boxing with myself.

Hopefully I won't have any issues with security or whatever.
Also, I won't get billed for anything until I register FFXI and make a content ID on the second account right?
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 00:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

"Dualboxing" is against the ToS cause it requires windower to do, so say you have an xbox and a laptop!
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 00:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
"Dualboxing" is against the ToS cause it requires windower to do, so say you have an xbox and a laptop!

Well this is what worried me to begin with. Will SE notice I'm running two instances from the same MAC address/connection? My friend who dual boxes says he's done it for years and has had zero issues, but I'm curious if anyone has been in trouble for it.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 00:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

naw, nothing with windower/ legit dualboxing will ever get you banned :p when you get into botting one char or the other will be the only time any issue can arise
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 00:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
naw, nothing with windower/ legit dualboxing will ever get you banned :p when you get into botting one char or the other will be the only time any issue can arise

Okay just making sure. I have heard of some online games that don't like it when they see multiple accounts coming from the same internet connection. Hopefully this won't be the case.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 00:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

you'll be fine :)
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-08-20 00:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
yea man that secure code thing is ***.. it charges you 1$ every time you have to change your creditcard
This is not an actual charge, it will show as a pending charge but fall off. It's kinda like a 'check' to make sure the account is active and able to be billed. Generally takes 12-24 hours for these to drop off. Granted... If you're broke like me, a few mess ups could make other charges bounce.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-20 00:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

orly :O good to know
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 00:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Also I shouldn't get charged for making a POL account until I make a content ID correct? I know this seems redundant but I rather be safe than sorry ><
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-08-20 00:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tool said:
Also I shouldn't get charged for making a POL account until I make a content ID correct? I know this seems redundant but I rather be safe than sorry ><
You won't get charged until after the free trail is over and don't forget to get a gold world pass from your main, a couple of nice things in there.

But to directly answer your question, if you don't have a content ID you will not get charged unless you had some billing due before and for a new account that won't be an issue.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 01:06:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Fenrir.Tool said:
You won't get charged until after the free trail is over and don't forget to get a gold world pass from your main, a couple of nice things in there.

But to directly answer your question, if you don't have a content ID you will not get charged unless you had some billing due before and for a new account that won't be an issue.

Oh snap, almost forgot about that gold world pass thing. I should totally redeem that.

Although it would seem guide & sprout berets have no purpose thanks to level sync now huh?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2010-08-20 01:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tool said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Fenrir.Tool said:

Oh snap, almost forgot about that gold world pass thing. I should totally redeem that.

Although it would seem guide & sprout berets have no purpose thanks to level sync now huh?
They are pretty much useless but it's the other stuff I was interested in anyway. Sol cap's pretty nice and if you need hp for latents or triggering, gold moogle belt is pure win.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 01:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, most of them appear to be novelties but really cool nevertheless. /drool @ Timepiece & Miniature Airship. DO WANT!

But yeah if anything has a use it's the Sol & Lunar Caps. The rest can simply be obtained next time the event comes around. And I'm sure even with the final update around the corner it's simply a matter of putting a loop button on annual events for us.
 Diabolos.Lilywolf
Server: Diabolos
user: Lilywolf
By Diabolos.Lilywolf 2010-08-20 01:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing you can do, if you don't want to buy the disc again, is purchase the ultimate collection via Steam. I got it back when they were doing that special where it was only $11, idk how much it is these days but it totally beats the hell out of buying a new disc and gives you the code for everything the same way. A bonus to that is you can use the steam download if necessary in the future to install on a pc where you haven't got access to the disc.

It was a lil confusing for me when I did it, but basically all you have to do is buy it and start the download, THEN it will let you access the code, which you can just log into your already installed POL and put in and delete the steam install forever ! Not that steam is bad, but it's a lot easier for me to screw with the folders I already have shortcuts to for my dat mods, so I'm of that opinion^^

I don't know that this is useful or not, but it's a good option to know of if you have any interest in such a thing^^

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 01:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Steam is cool and all, but the way they install software vs buying the game itself is funky. I had a hard time getting console mode active for Crysis when my friend gave it to me as a gift via Steam. I rather not go through the headaches of downloading much of anything. As lame as it sounds, I will probably end up paying $20 just to get a bunch of letters and numbers :(
 Diabolos.Lilywolf
By Diabolos.Lilywolf 2010-08-20 01:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I was able to link both of my POL IDs to my single SE ID and they both got a satchel with my one security token... You can link up to 10, according to SE, but you cannot unlink them once you have them linked ::learned that the hard way when I had a friend visit and decided to link his to my account for satchel then felt like an absolute moron when I looked into it, ended up having to deactive my poor token:: but if it is only to be used by you, that shouldn't be an issue ^^ just be aware if you are dual boxing with a token, you can't use the same code twice, and the most recent code will invalidate any older ones, so you have to input them in order. Little nuisances, but good to know ^^

edit: yeah I didn't keep the steam install, just let it start so that the code was viewable and then cancelled and uninstalled the whole program, not just the FFXI portion, and played with my normal install from my disc that I had bought for my other character ^^
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 02:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Deadwing said:
Fenrir.Tool said:

I would like to think it is as simple as creating a new account and keeping the same personal/billing information as the original account and simply registering new CD-keys as FFXI is obviously installed already.

Its really that simple

Actually, I tried making another POL account just now until it told me I will need a POL registration code (which obviously I don't have as my main account is already registered.)

Kind of silly that POL would require a registration key which comes with buying FFXI when the service in of itself is free.

Asura.Deadwing said:
Fenrir.Tool said:

Also, is it possible to link another account to a currently active Square-Enix account so that I can get satchels for my characters on my new account?

No you'll have to buy satchel for those guys

I personally octabox, if you want to boost your multi-boxing potential I suggest you use a program called Multi-Send. It allows you to clone commands and send them to both characters on your PC or LAN.

Really? I know some people that told me I can link more than one POL account per SE account, meaning my token password will work for both/either account(s), and both will receive satchels for whatever characters are active.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-08-20 02:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Lilywolf said:

edit: yeah I didn't keep the steam install, just let it start so that the code was viewable and then cancelled and uninstalled the whole program, not just the FFXI portion, and played with my normal install from my disc that I had bought for my other character ^^

Yeah, I knew that the token password only works for one log in, even if multiple accounts are linked to the same token/SE ID. Sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. Although if you were in touch often enough they could just call you when they need to log in and you can give em the password lol.
 Diabolos.Lilywolf
By Diabolos.Lilywolf 2010-08-20 02:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Just went and looked at it, it is 9.99 for the ultimate collection now via steam XD here

I'm cheap so I'm like totally of the opinion that $10 is better than $20, and I believe the mild irritant of the to install/to not install is worth the $10 savings, but I can understand the allure of not dealing with it. But like I said, it's simple enough to deal with, it just needs to be told to start the install off FFXI to access the code, and all told that takes like 5 mins, including the install of the Steam software itself.

/opinionated
/maybe mildly helpful ^^
First Page 2