Laevateinn (80)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Laevateinn (80)
Laevateinn (80)
 Unicorn.Moldtech
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-08-14 08:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

So, any thoughts on Laevateinn (80) opposed to hq staves?

Looks sweet but hell to get the original let alone the act of god to upgrade it. :/ Makes me laugh at all these melee type relic/mythic holders crying about thier upgrade trials and needing thier killshots though lol. Be a blm and try doing it. ^^
[+]
 Leviathan.Cymmina
Server: Leviathan
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2010-08-14 08:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

When I did the math a while ago, the level 80 Laevateinn fell somewhere between NQ and HQ. There's still no reason to own this weapon, especially when you can get the Magian staves, which eclipse HQ staves by a significant margin.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-14 09:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

As Laevateinn gets more MAB we are generally getting more MAB gear which kinda diminishes the gain from the MAB. ANd yeah trial staffs are way better
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-14 09:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Doing the math it should do more dmg than HQ staff as long as you have less than 100 MAB... And getting to 100 by yourself is kinda hard

However for it to beat the trial staffs you would have to have less than 20 MAB and blm jt put you at 32
 Lakshmi.Snuffy
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Snuffy 2010-08-14 11:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Doing the math it should do more dmg than HQ staff as long as you have less than 100 MAB

Could you explain this? All I see is HQ Stave MAB = 15, Laev (80) MAB = 30, so Laev should always beat it.

I would like the staff just to save on inventory space, but the cherry on top is being able to nuke without swapping staves, making TP gain for its mythic WS feasible. I'm not saying you can completely full time it (still need earth staff for idle and dark staff for resting), or that you can melee everything because accuracy will be an issue on stuff where you need that WS's Magic Defence -10%.
 Kujata.Jatayu
Server: Kujata
user: sruon
By Kujata.Jatayu 2010-08-14 12:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure HQ Staves are +15% flat damage, not +15 MAB.

Could be wrong though.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Samhain
user: Samhain
By Lakshmi.Samhain 2010-08-14 12:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, Jatayu is correct.

Kaeko did an enlightening comparison between the Laevateinn and the staves, so you might be interested in checking it out purely from the magic damage perspective.

Admittedly, this was done before the level 80 version was released. However, I doubt the upgrade is significant enough to change his conclusion, especially with the advent of the new magian staves.
 Fenrir.Lamentor
Server: Fenrir
user: Lamentor
By Fenrir.Lamentor 2010-08-14 12:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference between Magic atk. Bonus and staves like HQ staves and the trial of the magian staves is the diminishing returns, really. I believe Magic atk bonus starts off by adding 1% damage for each magic atk bonus you add, and it seems to calculate that off of your total INT. The higher MAB gets, the less of a return it gives. I can't think of the exact formula off the top of my head to calculate the diminishing return you get the higher your MAB rises, but it's definitely there, and definitely noticeable.

As for the HQ staves / affinity staves, I'll explain it like this. 1. There's no diminishing returns.
2. It's calculated after INT and MAB (plus other small things) are.

And so, assuming the average BLM were to nuke 1,000 w/o a staff on, adding 10 mab would probably increase their damage to 1,080, whereas a NQ staff would increase their damage to 1,100 flat, and HQ to 1,200. Even higher with the new Trial of Magians staves, to 1,300.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-14 13:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Snuffy said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Doing the math it should do more dmg than HQ staff as long as you have less than 100 MAB
Could you explain this? All I see is HQ Stave MAB = 15, Laev (80) MAB = 30, so Laev should always beat it.
As already said HQ staffs are 15%.

To show the math on this I'll bring up the magic dmg formula...

D=(V + (dINT * M))*Multiple-Target Damage Reduction*resist*Staff Bonus*Day | Weather Bonus* Magic Burst Bonus*Magic Burst Bonus Gear *MAB / MDB *Target Magic Damage Adjustment

To find out what you need for one to win just put 2 of the same formulas next to each other with a > or < sign and fill in the differences.

For this case since we are assuming no changes other than MAB and staff bonus and everything multiples to that we can cancel it all out so we can look at it as.

MAB+laev MAB> MAB*staff bonus

MAB+30>1.15*MAB

MAB+30> MAB +.15MAB

30>.15MAB

MAB> 200

Base MAB>100 so 200-100= +100 MAB over base from gear/traits.

So Lae wins as long as you have less than 100 MAB over traits/gear/buffs. Of course that doesn't account for macc or ES buff
 Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-08-14 13:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Is all this remembering the 10% bonus damage from enhanced elemental seal? D:
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-14 13:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Moldtech said:
Is all this remembering the 10% bonus damage from enhanced elemental seal? D:
No at the end I said it doesn't account for that...

But I'm not sure I'd count 1 nuke every 10 minutes lol. But if you want to account for that one nuke ok. Though if you wanted to get into it you could get into resist rate differences too.

Obviously since Lae already wins on dmg with HQ staffs I'll compare trial ones.

ES bonus*(MAB+laev MAB)> MAB*staff bonus

1.1(MAB+30)> 1.25*MAB

1.1(MAB+30)> 1.25MAB

1.1MAB+33> 1.25MAB

33> .15MAB

220>MAB

So on ES Lae will win as long as you have less than 120 MAB

Of course trial staffs win any other time no matter how much MAB you have since you can't get an amount low enough to make Lae better

Unicorn.Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-08-14 14:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, ok, now hold my hand on this, put it in a less scienticifc way if you will. How does magic damage +4 defeat 15%?

Is it 4%? Is it 4 mab? Is it damage x4? What exactly is that +4 that is supposed to be beating hq staves? Currently I don't see the attraction to the trial staves.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-14 14:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as has been tasted last I seen (easily seen to hold true for dmg but macc is a bit harder) +1 elemental affinity=NQ. +2 elemental affinity =HQ and so on. Or to put it in terms of raw numbers

+1= 10% dmg, 20macc
+2= 15% dmg, 30macc
+3= 20% dmg, 40macc
+4= 25% dmg, 50macc

Though like I said not sure how far the progress on the testing on the latest staffs macc is so kinda conjecture from how it had been progressing. And you can't choose higher acc and dmg at the same time...
 Lakshmi.Samhain
user: Samhain
By Lakshmi.Samhain 2010-08-14 14:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic damage +4 on the magian staves is equivalent to +25% damage.

The damage magian staves are significantly more powerful than HQ staves but, as they stand right now, only possess the accuracy of the NQ staves.