Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Avatar Fight questions...
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-18 11:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

A couple LS friends and I did the Garuda Fight last night; we were going to get Garadu's Dagger for our 63 THF. Our 75 THF pretty much solo'd it, with 63 THF coming along for a some extra DPS and me as 53 WHM for baraero and curing purposes. It seemed like the fight wasn't that bad, so my question is, since you get 10k for doing it, would a 75 DNC and 75 THF be able to handle these in a duo? It says that the avatar fights are repeatable every Earth day, and since you can get 10k for doing them, seems like this would be an easy way to make some quick cash. Is there some catch I don't know of here? It's gonna be a while before me and the THF get 75, so obviously this isn't something that's going to happen anytime in the immediate future...but if they are all repeatable it'd be a great way to make some money when the LS isn't doing anything together or is on an "off" day.

Thanks for any input... ^^
 Alexander.Harryxi
Server: Alexander
user: HarryXI
By Alexander.Harryxi 2009-01-18 11:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I've beat some avatars with THF, WHM, and SAM or DRG. The biggest danger is their Astral Flow moves and status effects. You talk to the npc who gave you the tuning fork to claim a reward. I've heard of SMNs soloing it daily for their income.
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-01-18 11:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I think someone in my old ls did the math and said that if you did the 6 basic avatars (Not Diabolos or Fenrir) you could have 1.8 mil by the end of the month.

However, it's a lot of work. Though the fights are easy, keep in mind the travel time to get the fork (Leviathan in Norg, for example, or Ifrit in Kazham) and then to get to the BC. Garuda in Cape Terrigan, Shiva in Fei'yen, none of them are exactly quick and easy to get to. For the time and energy you spend hitting every single Fork/BC, you could have farmed 60k worth from mob drops. :)

But, they are definitely easy if that's the path you want to take, I solo'd them Rdm/nin with mediocre gear and I did fine.
 Alexander.Harryxi
Server: Alexander
user: HarryXI
By Alexander.Harryxi 2009-01-18 11:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
keep in mind the travel time to get the fork (Leviathan in Norg, for example, or Ifrit in Kazham) and then to get to the BC

That's why I'd heard about SMN doing it. Because they didn't do the solo battles, they were able to get a free ride from the mini-battle npc to the cloister. TY for the reminder, Alijah.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-18 12:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

As for travel time, I have WHM and all the tele's, so getting around wouldn't be too bad for some of them (provided I can get to a town and change job to DNC), coupled with outpost warps and/or using the Campaign teleporter NPC in the past and then popping back into the present at the nearest maw.

Besides, I hate farming. I'd rather do a boss fight for 10 minutes a pop, plus it's much more exciting (provided we live lol). Now, if we wanna be really sneaky and do them on the best Vana'diel day, that would prolly take a while. ^^
 Midgardsormr.Ryaan
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Ryaan
By Midgardsormr.Ryaan 2009-01-18 12:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

A THF and DNC could solo it with out any major issues. The only problem I can see in this is the lack of bar- spells and the potentially deadly Astral Flow. I have seen an avatar 2hr take out a 75DRK and a 75SAM in one shot. But if you can guarantee your survival through the astral flow you will be fine. The debuffs that they can put on you can easily be worked around.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-18 12:38:16
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

It's certainly plausable to defeat primes with a DNC & THF duo, however this can lead to a sticky situation post astral flow if you don't have any resistances. I've noticed a PLD's rampart almost completely nullifies astral flow, so tag one along for the ride if you have any doubt.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-18 13:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

We'd be happy to bring along whoever wants to come with us, honestly. I think the 10k per fight would be a nice incentive for someone to come out and whack at them for a while ^^

I'm gonna try and convince a 75 WHM I know to come with us when we do this. He loves money, that's for sure lol
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-18 13:25:48

Yeah it's not a bad idea when you think about it. In fact this is how my group of friends funded each other's fancy stuff. We'd take an entire week of killing all avatars and sum up the pool of gil and buy each other something expensive that we always wanted. 60k a day from the 3 of us adds up fast over a week ^^

I used to solo avatars daily on RDM/NIN (6 of the 8) and have done them on my SMN75 as well...

There is only one real problem with avatars for gil. Time. As a non-Summoner job, it takes about 6 hours to do 6, because of the running around.

On Summoner, fights take 18-28 minutes each and are VERY risky, and its hard to control hate.

Basically though you can make 60k a day, which is 60k/hour mostly. However there may be better options depending on your jobs. :s

But, 60,000 x 30 = 1,800,000.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-18 15:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM/NIN can solo it really easy, very constantly also.

Out of about 45 fights total on avatars, I have died only 1 time, and that was because SS/Phl/Bar-spell was all down at the time, I hate half HP due to helping others and they kept on getting killed, and I was stupid enough to actually cast raise in the middle of the fight without using Chainspell, which it Astral'd when I wasn't looking.

So that one death was my fault.

doing this instead of farming? Yeah, people say that you can make 60k a day, but try doing this 2 days in a row, and you will find out that instead of 60k a day, its 60k every 2 days, being that it takes too long to travel to all the areas, you have to keep ToDs of when you kill the avatar and turned in whisper (you can't get new fork for 24 hours, not after JP midnight like people think you could) and the possiblity of getting screwed up on travel times.

Plus the costs that it takes to solo it (shihei isn't free) and you end up making about 40k per 2 days.

Not really recommended unless you have no other choice, which is impossible.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-18 18:43:02

Eh, it was just more like a fun thing to do when we were all online together as often as we could. Of course you could farm in between these sessions, but we had our routes and routine figured out so it turned out quite fun and profitable in the end.

Too bad it's not like in the old days when there was no time limit. That's how the JP made bank; just spam avatars. Good times, good times.
 Fairy.Antigone
user: jarredpoe
By Fairy.Antigone 2009-01-18 19:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I need some of the Items from the avatars Num such as Ifit's Sword or Shiva's Claws.... I wont be back on game for about a month though (Xbox had to be sent in because I got the red ring of death). But if your game when I get back I'll be happy to go with you, I have a 75 DNC friend who would wanna go as well....
 Pandemonium.Sepihroth
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Sepihroth 2009-01-18 21:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
RDM/NIN can solo it really easy, very constantly also.

Out of about 45 fights total on avatars, I have died only 1 time, and that was because SS/Phl/Bar-spell was all down at the time, I hate half HP due to helping others and they kept on getting killed, and I was stupid enough to actually cast raise in the middle of the fight without using Chainspell, which it Astral'd when I wasn't looking.

So that one death was my fault.

doing this instead of farming? Yeah, people say that you can make 60k a day, but try doing this 2 days in a row, and you will find out that instead of 60k a day, its 60k every 2 days, being that it takes too long to travel to all the areas, you have to keep ToDs of when you kill the avatar and turned in whisper (you can't get new fork for 24 hours, not after JP midnight like people think you could) and the possiblity of getting screwed up on travel times.

Plus the costs that it takes to solo it (shihei isn't free) and you end up making about 40k per 2 days.

Not really recommended unless you have no other choice, which is impossible.

Hmmm you sure about the 24 hour thing? I've always gotten the fork the next morning under 24hours....
And was helping a lot of peeps get the avatars.
 Ragnarok.Wran
Server: Ragnarok
user: wran
By Ragnarok.Wran 2009-01-18 21:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I have gotten it down to 4 hrs if I really push it and grab the whispers the day before. so say if you have all the forks on you, do the fights, and then run back to the npc, you still have to wait till jp midnight to get the new forks. As people have said it is the time to get to the fights and get back to the npc to trade in the whispers. I was doing it as rdm/blm no problem jsut takes the time ~6hrs to do the running around ands fights with telepoints and outpost warps. Astral flow at 50% is the only danger and that is only bad if you convert at the wrong time and dont have defenses up.

After turning Whispers in, you have to wait until Japanese Midnight to get a new fork. (11AM EST, 10AM CST, 8AM PST)

If you're like ma and go to bed at 6AM, get up at 3PM, its not too bad.. >.>

But yeah. There is still the cost of Shihei. And also, if you're in an Endgame LS, or worse an HNM LS, chances are you wouldn't have time to do this as your main money maker.

What I did was kill avatars every day for a month straight, to fund Alchemy and some equipment I needed sooner rather than later.

You're probably better off farming WotG Stronghold NM's for money, fishing, or farming up BS and KS.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-19 01:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I swore I read somewhere that you have to wait 24 hours to get a new whisper.

Sorry if I'm wrong.
 Valefor.Anastriana
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Anastriana 2009-01-19 06:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I normally do them as RDM/BLU.

Saves on shihei (when I used to do them RDM/NIN, I used about 40 shihei per fight), and having a half decent weaponskill cuts the fight time down to about 10-12 minutes. (even Garuda spamming whispering wind only took 17 minutes).

My melee gear isn't wonderful, SH, W. Turban, Joyeuse, Genbu's Shield, Vendors Slops, Ogre Boots, so other decently geared people could probably cut down on that time by quite a bit.
 Fenrir.Parak
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Parak 2009-01-19 08:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you think you can do this a PLD/NIN, PLD/DNC or PLD/RDM? I tried PLD/RDM a long time ago before my enhancing magic was capped and I pretty much miserably failed.

Maybe if I brought some meds with me?
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-19 11:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to do these for gil a lot, did a run the other day with several characters and a friend with a couple characters. Not too bad to get ~490k with choco costs and outpost warp fees for ~4-5 hours of work even with going around getting the forks. Goes pretty quickly traveling when you have a whm and blm and also set your hp in your home nation.

The last time we went, I went as mnk/dnc and had a rdm/whm there to cast barspells and haste. Their accuracy is pretty horrible against a 75 mnk or thf. If I'm online and anyone wants to go kill them, I'm generally up for it unless I happen to be busy for some reason.

{Gil} {Yes, please.}
 Fairy.Antigone
By Fairy.Antigone 2009-01-19 12:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

When I come back Tbest Ill be more then happy to do runs with you.... I havent even touched SMN yet because I havent taken the time to get the avatars but I'm honestly more concerned with the items I want from them then the avatars come second for me.
Ill send you a /tell when I'm back on game if you want company.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-19 12:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, sounds like fun to me. The other day we helped some brand new lvl 12 I think Summoner get 3 of the avatars. Lucky for them they got to tele to the cloister. Unfortunately I have to walk b/c I did the mini fights back when they first introduced them. 5 SL ftw. >.> But you could definitely get ported out easily and let us kill them or join in on a higher lvl job too, it wouldn't matter to me. =)
 Fairy.Antigone
By Fairy.Antigone 2009-01-19 15:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I would prob go as 75RNG and my friend would come with his DNC or BLM cause he needs a couple of them still for Fenrir....
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-01-19 18:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

RMT do this in mass groups of BLM. It takes only seconds to kill each avatar, even Fenrir and Diabolos that way. Takes very little skill, don't need great gear. Honestly wouldn't doubt if it is 1 person controlling all 6.