The Beginning? Or The Beginning Of The End?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » The beginning? or the beginning of the end?
The beginning? or the beginning of the end?
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-31 23:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm wondering how the stamina system will work at later levels.

Like faster stamina gain? or always a static number?
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-07-31 23:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I'm wondering how the stamina system will work at later levels.

Like faster stamina gain? or always a static number?

Progression beyond what I'd say is "Early Dunes PT" FFXI equivalent is still a mystery.

My guess is there will be abilities and equipment that "Reduce stamina Cost" and "Increase stamina regeneration(Haste)"
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-31 23:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't wait tbh.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-07-31 23:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I can't wait tbh.

I'm mostly curious to see if Disciples of the Land and Hand will really factor into Physical Level, and if there will be any limits to leveling crafting skills, as there are in FFXI.

While I wouldn't really look to a game simply to craft, I will admire FFXIV's commitment to catering to a wide variety of individuals, if someone can physically level their character to "Max" level off simply crafting and gathering. Full integration of Non-combat and Combat activity in a progression system, I feel is the Holy-grail of RPG design. You really do create your characters role, instead of being shoved into a scenario you don't want, for the sake of progression.

The only game in recent memory that really accomplishes this, is Fallout 2. You can play the game, and experience 95% of the game's content, without firing a single gun. That's not to say your followers won't, though that is usually limited to random critters in the overworld, and most situations can be resolved through non-violent means.
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-07-31 23:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I can't wait tbh.
^

I'm quite curious about the gear situation, too. Swapping gear for each and every little thing is really annoying, and downright impossible without 3rd Party Stuffs (BLM,SCH,etc). Not to mention the strain it places on inventory.

I'd be happy with something more simplistic or trimmed down.

I like the ability thing Zic mentioned, though. It'd be cool to mix some of Marauder's raw power with Pugilist. Granted, it also means more SJ leveling <.<
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-31 23:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
I can't wait tbh.

I'm mostly curious to see if Disciples of the Land and Hand will really factor into Physical Level, and if there will be any limits to leveling crafting skills, as there are in FFXI.

While I wouldn't really look to a game simply to craft, I will admire FFXIV's commitment to catering to a wide variety of individuals, if someone can physically level their character to "Max" level off simply crafting and gathering. Full integration of Non-combat and Combat activity in a progression system, I feel is the Holy-grail of RPG design. You really do create your characters role, instead of being shoved into a scenario you don't want, for the sake of progression.

The only game in recent memory that really accomplishes this, is Fallout 2. You can play the game, and experience 95% of the game's content, without firing a single gun. That's not to say your followers won't, though that is usually limited to random critters in the overworld, and most situations can be resolved through non-violent means.

To be honest I was thinking about this for a long time a few days ago and I came up with a pretty cool scenario:

One person with really high mining can mine a spot in a really hard to get place, but with the chance of getting really rare ore, now for this person to mine that spot he needs a few 'bodyguards' or friends to kill all the mobs around. Whilst he mines to get loot for everyone (I believe mined rocks appear in the pool) the rest of the party is defending his ***.

That to me sounds like great fun.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-07-31 23:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The Blu-mage / FFIX / FFV progression system is also another really positive point for me. I'm loving the thought of that much customisation to go into a character. You'll have one person who can't live without a certain ability, and another person who can't live without an entirely different ability. Of course there will be abilities that will be necessary, but I like the sound of having DD with all out raw power, or maybe a slightly more defensive DD who can jump in to tank an add or something.
 Ramuh.Tousou
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-07-31 23:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
The Blu-mage / FFIX / FFV progression system is also another really positive point for me. I'm loving the thought of that much customisation to go into a character. You'll have one person who can't live without a certain ability, and another person who can't live without an entirely different ability. Of course there will be abilities that will be necessary, but I like the sound of having DD with all out raw power, or maybe a slightly more defensive DD who can jump in to tank an add or something.

And best of all, the ability to swap roles if/when needed without having to switch job/subjobs.(Assuming what little I know is correct.)
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-01 00:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't wait... for it to not suck. Especially as a mage lol. I don't even have enough stamina to use one of my abilities that I used to be able to

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-08-01 00:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I can't wait... for it to not suck. Especially as a mage lol. I don't even have enough stamina to use one of my abilities that I used to be able to

Yah, you can plan for a lot of balancing and class changes in this phase of Beta.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Tousou
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-08-01 01:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Impossible with out 3rd party stuff? That is honestly, really, quite a lot of fail.

Mostly laziness on my part, honestly. I'd rather not use SE's macro system and have to hit 3-4 macros for 1 action, especially spells. It took quite a bit out of me to optimize my BLM/RDM macro set(I'm the "just in case" type), and even then Windower is still a Godsend. I couldn't imagine having 8+ macros for day/weather changes. Hell, even Precast to casting swap is annoying with shorter spells.(I'd say resists, but it's not super tough to open the menu and toss on Wizard Gloves.)

BLU would probably make me /wrists x.x
 Sylph.Cossack
Server: Sylph
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2010-08-01 01:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

You *** bumbling texans. I almost sometimes want to think Texas is not a state (especially after those changes in the education there)

Go *** yourself ***.

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-08-01 02:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Tousou said:
Impossible with out 3rd party stuff? That is honestly, really, quite a lot of fail.

Mostly laziness on my part, honestly. I'd rather not use SE's macro system and have to hit 3-4 macros for 1 action, especially spells. It took quite a bit out of me to optimize my BLM/RDM macro set(I'm the "just in case" type), and even then Windower is still a Godsend. I couldn't imagine having 8+ macros for day/weather changes. Hell, even Precast to casting swap is annoying with shorter spells.(I'd say resists, but it's not super tough to open the menu and toss on Wizard Gloves.)

I hate having to manually equip anything though, but I find myself doing it sometimes anyway. Much rather just open up a txt file and macro it in that way.

Windower can be a godsend on mage jobs but honestly I have seen plenty of people manage without it and do quite well. I'm just one of those lazy people though. ;P

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-08-01 02:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Tousou said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
I can't wait tbh.
^

I'm quite curious about the gear situation, too. Swapping gear for each and every little thing is really annoying, and downright impossible without 3rd Party Stuffs (BLM,SCH,etc). Not to mention the strain it places on inventory.

You are correct about the inventory, but that is only because SE likes making a ***load of gear as that was the big thing for awhile with the cap at 75. It has become something they just do at this point.

Personally if there was a BLU in 14 and I could not change gear, I would be very upset.

I assume by "Changing gear" you mean like flash-changing through macros, that has become literally THE defining mechanic behind FFXI.

It depends on the systems in place. Personally, I'd like to see a shift away from the magical phantom-gear swapping ***in FFXI. Not to mention there's twenty-two (22) equipment slots in FFXIV, that's six more than XI.

My point is right now, you can't really say something will upset you, if you don't know if it's going to be a necessity or even a benefit otherwise.

Ramuh.Tousou said:

I SCH without windower, and do fine. It's a lot less complicated that most people would believe. But I augment a lot of my macros with typed commands. It's faster and more reliable than 3rd party tools anyway. For example, I don't have a macro for every elemental Spell, I have one line for Helix and the other for TV-III nukes, with the optimal gear-set changes on the end line, that change universal gear. So ***like staves and the Obi would be tied to my elemental macro, and certain things like Ugly Pendant and blah, would be on another.

It's a lot easier to see than hear about so I'll just say that SCH doesn't need 3rd party tools to play. The limit on macro lines is infuriating regardless of what job you're playing, and I really think SE should have designed XI with many more lines, though obviously not unlimited since that would create first-party bots.

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2010-08-01 14:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hiromichi.Tanaka said:
Since FFXI has been out of eight years, we think it's reached its time now, so obviously we would want FFXI players to shift to FFXIV. However, we do understand if FFXI players have special memories of FFXI, so there must be some people who will continue to play FFXI. So, we would like to keep of them happy, and we will try to introduce some bonus for our customers, probably from a monetary point of view.

Maybe they're concerned about the super hard core groups who will just ignore FFXIV. Ya know the types that they'll have do drag from FFXI kicking and screaming.

I was reading this on another fan site. As most of you know this was taken out of context but the discussion was if we we're being steered towards the new product.

From a business standpoint it's a win for SE if we continue to play FFXI in large numbers. It's a win for them if we play both. It's a win for them if many quit and migrate to FFXIV.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-02 12:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

I made a thread about trolling once but it got deleted,
actual good trolling only happened on Usenet don'tchakno.

There's no such thing as "good trolling". To be "good" at trolling simply means one fails at life.
Trolling, at its core, is the internet equivalent of stealing someone's brown-bag lunch in middle school, or placing crank calls after midnight during a prepubescent "sleep-over".

Those who find trolling to be entertaining are simply immature, and worse, overly confident and overly zealous in their desire to act immaturely. The internet has given a "home" to such hooligans, where they can act anonymously and, in general, without fear of repercussions. It's a sad fact.

Still, trolls would do less harm to society if they went around leaving flaming bags of dog feces on doorsteps, or hanging out slurping Slurpees at the local 7-11 store. Enjoy your "pull my finger" jokes IRL so you can at least enjoy the pleasure of viewing a real live eyeroll instead of a cheap emoticon.
you don't know what a troll is, but you seem to troll often?
:D
edit: for your health-
The use of the word "trolling" comes from the fishing technique where
a baited hook is dragged through the water, in an attempt to attract
and catch a fish. Usenet trolling is the act of posting an article, or
"troll" (baited hook) in a Usenet newsgroup (the water) with the
intention of attracting the native inhabitants (groupers) and
provoking an emotional response (caught!). The phrase was originally
coined as "Trolling for flames", where the posters intention was to
incite a "flame war", the Usenet intellectual equivalent of a bar
fight.
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-08-02 12:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

the stamina thing needs to get fixed its pretty HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE at times
By Zekko 2010-08-02 13:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
There's no such thing as "good trolling". To be "good" at trolling simply means one fails at life.
Trolling, at its core, is the internet equivalent of stealing someone's brown-bag lunch in middle school, or placing crank calls after midnight during a prepubescent "sleep-over".

Those who find trolling to be entertaining are simply immature, and worse, overly confident and overly zealous in their desire to act immaturely. The internet has given a "home" to such hooligans, where they can act anonymously and, in general, without fear of repercussions. It's a sad fact.

Still, trolls would do less harm to society if they went around leaving flaming bags of dog feces on doorsteps, or hanging out slurping Slurpees at the local 7-11 store. Enjoy your "pull my finger" jokes IRL so you can at least enjoy the pleasure of viewing a real live eyeroll instead of a cheap emoticon.

[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-08-02 13:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

that picture amuses me.