Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-30 11:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

By Antisense 2010-07-30 12:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

And who was trippin over "welcome to 2004"?
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-07-30 12:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Antisense said:
Seriously, how do people make claims about how melee pDIF is distributed or, to be more accurate, how melee pDIF should be considered to be distributed? Do they actually do probability plots?

Saying unresisted values of Drain and Aspir (note I am not saying anything about resisted value) are uniformly distributed is a claim with an obvious underlying probability model assumption that there is no reason to believe is wrong.

There is tonnes of data about the distribution of pDif, several trapezoidal models have been proposed on BG (none are perfect, but aren't far off).

The post you pointed to has no where near to a fully understood formula, just the bones of a potential formula. So having seen your evidence I stand by my statement "drain/aspir still is far from fully understood (i.e. no formula)".

And I am fully aware of the m.acc testing done by the JPs, the reason I said 2009 is because it was around Jan-May 2009 when the NAs and EUs became aware of data and begun to analysis it (analysis which I was part of, back when I played/posted on BG).

By Antisense 2010-07-30 14:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

With respect to pDIF, no one can even say whether the appearance of a trapezoidal distribution is the result of a sum or product of two uniform random variables. (But it's obvious that it's a function of two random variables at the minimum.) By your standard, there is actually no "formula" for pDIF, just a specification of maximum critical pDIF with vague distribution claims.

Unresisted values of Drain, on other hand, have been asserted to be uniformly distributed between 160 and 320 HP at 300 dark magic skill and somehow this is a sketch of a formula.

Claims themselves do not constitute evidence. That's right: I have yet to state or cite any sort of evidence. Occam's razor is absolutely not proof in the least, but if you were to examine the observed data for Drain, Aspir, and Aspir II (I just choose not to provide links), there is no compelling reason to believe that unresisted values (you would have to understand what makes unresisted values different than resisted values) are anything other than uniformly distributed.
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-07-30 15:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Your right, pDif isn't completely nailed down. But at least there is some idea of how it is distributed (with data) whereas there is no such info for drain/aspir.

Melee damage wasn't a good choice of something that we understand. I should have used Magic damage.

I am not disbelieving CDF's claims, I am just saying that you are wrong to mock people for not knowing information that has only recently surfaced by claiming everyone has known for years.
By Antisense 2010-07-30 16:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You think there is no such info (data) for Drain (II) and Aspir instead of accepting that you do not know whether there is or not.

I don't mock people for not knowing that curries (and buns) have bonuses that increase with party size, but I do mock those who think that this knowledge has "recently surfaced," whatever the source. Some things do not need data sets but can just be verified individually, like enmity +/- on food or the Drain "soft cap."