Why do people change their gear when you examine them
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Hades.Allegro
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Allegro
By Hades.Allegro 2009-01-14 16:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Its hilarious someone would be offended for another person checking their gears. If anything, the fact that they would waste time examining you is a complement. Its also funny that someone would actually feel bad about examining another character. There is an emote for /stare, which is not to be confused with examine. Please remove the sand from the vag and try again, it's not that bad.
 Fairy.Telamon
Server: Fairy
user: prisonsex
By Fairy.Telamon 2009-01-14 17:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ryousuke said:
http://www.jpbutton.com/?p=551
Halfway down the page: Discussion and Japanese player's reponses to the question "Why is /check considered rude?"

Thanks for the link, it was a good read.

I wonder if the new MMO from Square will have multilingual servers as well
 Carbuncle.Shutupanddie
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Shutupanddie 2009-01-14 23:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

if you really wanna feel violated by random checks, try soloing as blm in mount zhayolm. the rmt their no matter what youre doing, killing a bug, resting or walking to camp will in fact "rudely" check you. so is it rude to check someone? depends on your excessiveness towards using the command. check once, person ws's recheck because they swapped. meh w/e spam checking someone during/while theyre engaged is 100% rude. not only does it clog their chatlog "provided you dont filter" but it also creates a distraction to ppl who filter alot and rely on chatlog simply opening to acknowledge a monsters spells or movements. so i guess its all a personal choice to filter that and be annoyed or not? bottom line is, if you think its rude, filter it, or else youre being rude to yourself? good post!
 Bahamut.Lyle
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lyle 2009-01-15 00:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish it would translate to /em looks you up and down with rape in consideration.

Would save me typing it in myself :3
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2009-01-15 00:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shutupanddie said:
if you really wanna feel violated by random checks, try soloing as blm in mount zhayolm. the rmt their no matter what youre doing, killing a bug, resting or walking to camp will in fact "rudely" check you. so is it rude to check someone? depends on your excessiveness towards using the command. check once, person ws's recheck because they swapped. meh w/e spam checking someone during/while theyre engaged is 100% rude. not only does it clog their chatlog "provided you dont filter" but it also creates a distraction to ppl who filter alot and rely on chatlog simply opening to acknowledge a monsters spells or movements. so i guess its all a personal choice to filter that and be annoyed or not? bottom line is, if you think its rude, filter it, or else youre being rude to yourself? good post!

Mt.Zhayolm is check city by RMT, I used to just filter checks all together when I was up there >_<.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-01-15 00:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
One could also argue that /checking is a much more important part of the game for English-speaking players than Japanese-speaking ones, as Japanese gamer culture tends to place more emphasis on privacy, where English-speaking gamer culture places more emphasis on achievement via display of gear.

That tickles me in such a way. lol I read that and I couldn't agree more. ;]
 Asura.Volition
Server: Asura
user: Volition
By Asura.Volition 2009-01-15 18:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who gets annoyed when someone checks their gear (no bazaar up, or anything) and doesn't do it multiple times is just ridiculous. There is no way you can convince me that it is a rude thing to do. By now, the JP players should know theres just some "lost in translation" issues going on here. Other than that, comparing it to real life as in people wouldn't do that when walking down the street? Come on, if you are comparing this game to real life, and get ticked off at such a simple thing, there are MUCH deeper problems at hand here.

As someone said earlier, I love getting checked. I have learned to not /check everyone I see, as I used to do it a lot when I was new to the game, because I'm no longer curious as to what some people are wearing. However, when I see some cool new gear I haven't noticed before, I'll check the person. Simple as that.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Hitan
Server: Leviathan
user: Hitan
By Leviathan.Hitan 2009-01-15 19:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive, been playing this game for a while and this question always bothers me, imo i think its just part of the game to check players, we all play to get the top gear in the game and i see it as not in any way bad for a player to check me i find it even sillier to have some to ask me if its ok if they check me. if u have a problem with ppl checking u in the game stop playing because its just stupid to get mad about its a freakin game! alot of the gear takes work to get and you feel proud when u aquire a piece that u have been working towards for while, psh like a new pair of jordans floss that ish! take ppl checking u as a compliment, not a offensive jesture lmao strike a pose elvaan males /think emo is pimp!
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-01-15 19:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I know there are 3 situations when people check me and I change gear, in order of most to least often:

1. I was about to change gear anyway, you're just unlucky.
2. I'm wearing something stupid and/or ghetto that I want to swap out. [see #1]
3. I'm not in a great mood atm, and I feel like being a ***.
4. You're just calling out every piece of gear I'm wearing to your party, LS, or the entire zone in /shout.

That very last one actually happened a couple days ago. Some douche called out every single piece I was wearing while I was waiting for Simurgh to pop. -_-"
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2009-01-15 19:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

An answer to this question was posted on the talking points - JP button article.
Since this game was primarily Japanese, a lot of the chat functions weren't developed well on their side, so what may seem completely innocent to us and 'sand in the vagina' as one person put it, is kinda offensive on their side. the reason being for this would be the bad message it gives on the japanese side and how their culture is. Yes, it's a little tough for some people to understand the concept since hey, we're brought up a lot differently.

The japanese gave the reply in 2 parts - their dislike of the message and how it implies sneaking / peeping behaviour, and also that they understand that this message isn't meant to be offensive, but if you guys know that it is so on the japanese side then why do it?, it's kinda a two way thing, a bit of a stalemate since the western players are like "Well we know it's not offensive on this side, so we'll keep going." And the japanese are "You know it comes off as offensive on this side, so why keep doing it?"

The ultimate thing it comes down to is common courtesy for your fellow players, and a little compromise and understanding of cultural differences^^/ Some people are private, some people are outgoing and don't mind the attention, some people are just... themselves in a nutshell :P

I've rambled on enough I think! But I hope this sheds a little bit of light on points that have been made throughout this topic :)

-Rin / Israfel
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-15 19:50:05
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said, don't want others to see? Don't put it on.
Walk around nekkid, no one will /check you. :P
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-01-15 21:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Israfel said:
Some people are private, some people are outgoing and don't mind the attention, some people are just... themselves in a nutshell :P

Well said.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-01-15 22:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

And I would guess that because the Japanese text for the checking feature is so rude, the Japanese players feel forced to refrain from using the in-game bazaar feature? Makes a lot of sense to me... xD
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-15 22:58:43

A simple and polite way to bypass putting an offended Japanese player after a /check is to simply /bow to them. A quick and simple way of saying "Thank you for letting me check out your gear."
 Diabolos.Benobond
Server: Diabolos
user: beno
By Diabolos.Benobond 2009-01-16 00:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

hey bad kids if you get mad at somebody that checks you.

1. TURN the /check log off and you dont have to see it.

2. get better gear
 Alexander.Miradj
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Miradj 2009-01-16 01:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You better check yo self 'fore u wreck yo self
 Midgardsormr.Dabamylord
Server: Midgardsormr
user: franzsy
By Midgardsormr.Dabamylord 2009-01-16 01:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as I get annoyed when I get checked, I'm very sure people who check me have their own reasons to do so. I really don't think they wanna check me for sexual reasons >.> Besides, mirroring other people, just put on the check filter if it annoys you. Although I'm exposed and familiar with Japanese culture, I know they get offended if I check them (because JPs hate sneaky-like "behavior" even if it's totally no big deal to the west) so I'm just saving all the trouble and not do it. If I do, however have this overwhelming need to check them (to figure out if their Scorp armor is actually an Antares Harness) I just say "chekku shiturei itashimasu" (literally "I'll be rude and will check you" but it really means "excuse me/sorry for checking") and they will usually gimme the blush emote or those cute smileys of them covering their eyes (/_\), while most just say "douzo" (be my guest).
 Cerberus.Furionstormrage
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Furionstormrage 2009-01-16 02:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand why people care.

I worked for my gear, and I'm vain, check me all day long :P
 Lakshmi.Tyidus
Server: Lakshmi
user: Tyidus
By Lakshmi.Tyidus 2009-01-17 14:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Edd said:
What I do giggle at however, is when people target you (so you can see their head turn), then /check you, and then quickly turn their char away as if they're tricking you into thinking they aren't looking at your gear. Hey, is that guy looking at my gear? Nah can't be, they're looking in the opposite direction. My chatlog is probably just going through a pre-adolescent lying stage.
lmao i have been known to do that. didnt really know people noticed XD
 Fairy.Raikan
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-01-17 14:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I've noticed that JP's will often say "/check Please forgive me" through the auto-trans before actually checking me.

After picking up on this, I've done this in return, and few JP's actually swap gear afterward.
 Ifrit.Edric
user: Edric
By Ifrit.Edric 2009-01-17 15:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I myself try to be as respectful as possible when checking people, try to be sensitive to how they might feel about it. I for one, don't care either way, if someone checks me up and down (besides when I'm mining the Z and those RMT feel the need to check me every 10 seconds). Next time you're in Whitegate, try this: /em examines you. And see how many people bump their gear or look at you crazy. hahahaha To any NA client it displays just the same as when someone does check you.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-01-17 16:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to fully agree with this post. I could hardly state it any better.

Hrolandus said:
You know, if you go out on the street in RL wearing a tee-shirt that has some writing on it, expect people to stop and read your chest. If you wear pants with something written on the rear, expect that too. If you are wearing something fashionable, unique, or what have you, yep folks are going to "examine" you in real life. You can certainly expect that. And as for the JP in a culture that created cosplay, prides itself in unique hairstyles, entire subcultures like lolicon and sailor outfits (that practically plead for attention) and the impossible hair colors, and so on... I'm not buying it. Simply put, in our day to day we always look around and examine others. While we don't have emote texts to inform us of this reality our brains certainly register these examinations. If you are so nutty that you can't stand people doing it in RL stay home, and if you are such in this game, well maybe the same advice applies....
 Gilgamesh.Khaty
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Nathoo
By Gilgamesh.Khaty 2009-01-17 19:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

i think its coz they dont want u to see them... or something like that

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-01-17 21:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Word Psyence!
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-17 21:29:09

Khaty said:

Then cast invis. ._.'
 Sylph.Feyen
Server: Sylph
user: Hiachi
By Sylph.Feyen 2009-01-17 21:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I barely ever /check someone to see their gear, it's mostly to see their LS and bazaar/comment, or job if its not obvious from the model
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-17 22:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Khaty said:
Then cast invis. ._.'

Lol I just imagined a player constantly invising themselves running around whitegate XD
 Fairy.Thunderblaze
user: Exorcist
By Fairy.Thunderblaze 2009-01-18 01:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

NA onry servers please. I'm sick of euros(italians in particular)/jps/etc