What side are you on?

Console - Ps2/ Ps3 here
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-01-10 03:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends on what I'm doing. The PS2 version loads character models extremely well so it is good for larger group events(Besieged). On PC you can turn down characters displayed but it usually doesn't do very much to help the lag.

For anything else though I'm on PC version. It just looks 100x better.
 Hades.Dekar
Server: Hades
user: Dekar
By Hades.Dekar 2009-01-10 03:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

i myself like computer graphics better just wish my computer was more up to date so i wouldn't lag so much
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-10 03:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

PC is all I have for playing the game. Although my laptop broke a while back and I couldnt play for 6 weeks >.< So idk, maybe a console is less risky...
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-10 03:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a PC man myself. I'm able to take the shots of stupidity that is Asura and show the world that same stupidity.

That and the fact of all the funny stuff that happens to me also, or that I make happen.
 Fairy.Basilo
Server: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-01-10 05:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Xbox = 100% fine connection 40man namis no filters but no windower. PC's in general would find this difficult but some will say windower is too good to miss.

side note : My Dell XPS M1210 laptop couldnt play this game at all well w/o lagging badly everywhere. Im curious as to how smoothly others have this game running on laptops or if theres a less than obvious patch im missing. As far as i can tell its upto date.

(1gig ram, dual 1.8ghz processor, Geforce go7400) but fails :/
 Fairy.Blackmist
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-01-10 05:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

i go Pc :3 (allthou 360 plays high congestion areas "campain" smoothly <3" )

i get mas lag mainly in Campain or Dynamis. on pc. " 1.5 gig ram 2.4 intel. prossesser Radion 9250 255 Mb video ram" ^^ 04 Dell XD

Mainly just Typeing lag I can fight well and all that, just You know typeing out "hi" or "/l i'll be there in 15" and waiting like 3-5 mins for it ta pop up, Or running 1/2 acrost the map XD. olny problem i have on Pc "Pol windower"
 Bahamut.Blooodyangel
Server: Bahamut
user:
By Bahamut.Blooodyangel 2009-01-10 05:37:06
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

PC all the way, how else can i read manga, watch tv series while playing all at same time? >_>
yes im multitasker and im proud of it :P
...... if only i had a third hand to eat slowly while "using" the pc instead of eating fast to get back to game -_-
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-10 06:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, currently on my old windows xp pc with 2.17GHz single AMD processor and 512mb ram and some outdated graphics card, with most stuff turned off lag in dyna or besiged is minimal, havent d/c in either yet on it.

My vista laptop is broken but it used to play it sumwhat faster, waiting for a newer "gaming" pc to be delivered with some pretty nice specs so will have to see if it will cut down on lag... though I suspect not as I have to share my connection with 3 other ppl in my flat, lag probably comes from them streaming TV over the net all night >.<
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2009-01-10 06:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I use a PC with an Intel Pentium D Dual Core processor, 2GB Ram and 512MB Sapphire Radeon graphics card,OS is Vista Home Premium. I have had minimal problems with lag but haven't done Dynamis or Besieged so I have no idea how it would handle that. I am hoping to upgrade to a better gaming PC later this year and my fiance will have the system I now use,he currently plays on the Xbox 360.
 Asura.Vilyon
user:
By Asura.Vilyon 2009-01-10 07:02:50
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Xbox 360^^
Get the new and improved intercooler, and u can game as long as u want with no issues. Dynamis plays lag free!
 Sylph.Kehl
Server: Sylph
user: Kehl
By Sylph.Kehl 2009-01-10 07:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Well on xbox 360 you can scroll through your targets so much faster then you can on pc and to get round the windower which is one of the main problems is have a computer on next to you lol

i prefer the xbox myself as i dont have to sit next to a desk to play it and prefer talking to my mates on the xbox at the same time as playing FFXi
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2009-01-10 07:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Scrolling through the targets quickly isn't a problem on the PC if you use an Xbox 360 controller as I do :)
 Hades.Dizzmal
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-01-10 07:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

PC all the way. 29.5 FPS most any time( including dynamis,beseiged, etc. I've had it drop 25 fps maybe a handful of times, normally with a zerg (DL,or somthing like that) That being said i'm waiting on the first "BS you can't run that high all the time!" post so ya. I run AMD phenom quad core Overclocked to 3.6G with 16G ram(64 bit Vista ultimate) and 3 Nvida 9800GX2 in 3 way SLI format. btw No FFXI isn't the only game I play on this PC, but it performs great and I never have lag.^^
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-10 09:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

PS2 doesn't have spellcast plugin.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-10 10:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I play on PC myself, I'm much more of a computer gamer then a console one, anyways, so I'm much more comfortable with a mouse and keyboard, although tbh I don't even use the mouse with FFXI. Plus I like the fact that the registry can be edited to beef up the graphics, game looks pretty damn nice when you push everything way up ^^ Plus I take a lot of screenshots and videos too.
 Remora.Kindle
Server: Remora
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-01-10 10:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

PC, for obvious reasons.
 Lakshmi.Kleric
Server: Lakshmi
user: Icefie
By Lakshmi.Kleric 2009-01-10 10:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

PC Here ~ always will be on pc, i'm hooked... @ 35fps atm majority of the time if not all. Although I don't use the keyboard mouse, I have a USB -> PS2 controller cord into my PC (XD)
Dont get me wrong I play my 360 often but not for games like this. Much easier for videos and ss like Xxnum2xX says
Rig ~ ~
dual gtx 260's
xp 64 bit (vista zzz imho)
8 gig ocz reaper
Intel (my bad i call all intels pents...) quad core OC to 3.4 (wanted an i7) ; ;
loving it ~ new egg ftw ?
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-01-10 10:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Blooodyangel said:
PC all the way, how else can i read manga, watch tv series while playing all at same time? &gt;_&gt;
yes im multitasker and im proud of it :P
...... if only i had a third hand to eat slowly while "using" the pc instead of eating fast to get back to game -_-

Easy you do what I do... I play FFXI off the console hooked up to a flat panel tv hooked up via HDMI cable. Meanwhile on the same desk I have my trusty laptop free to use to do all those fun things...
 Hades.Dizzmal
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-01-10 11:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

[quote=Kleric] @ 35fps atm majority of the time if not all.quote]
lol that would be amazing ... but FFXI caps out @ 30 FPS .. so your full of crap lol. the max you can get a FPS counter to count is 29.5FPS unless you are zoning. then it can count any amount of FPS. But sorry it is impossible to run FFXI @ 35FPS ... lol
btw
Intel doesn't make a Pent. Quad core. It would be a Core2 Quad.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-10 11:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

TBH people.. Hands Down.. The PC. Why? IMO, Well Not just the versatility of it, well maybe the versatility then. I mean If you want graphic upgrades, 1) you Go buy a better video card.(supporting of course!) and RAM.. Same thing..

You can always manage too, to hook your pc up to a 54" screen to, Hell My lil bro did that with his 54" Hi def.. .

Now I know why he weasled mom and dad. 16 yr olds who stay @home FTW...(pretty cheap, ya I know but still...when will the gravy train end? lol)

...FYI, I'm 35, and I live away from my family..( Thanks God!!)

Oh well.. the trial and tribulations of living at home....ugg
(sucks to be him, if all of you knew the Bs he puts up with!!)

HAHA
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-01-10 11:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

PC^^

I did start on PS2, but moved to PC because of lag issues and poor graphics. I hated standing in Jeuno (there was no Whitegate then, lol) trying to type. x_x Would be too laggy for it to even catch all of what I was typing and would take long for it to show up. :/ Graphics are an eyesore.

PC because the graphics are <3 I love being able to record videos and take screen shots via Fraps. I love being able to DAT mod and since I play on a laptop, I love being mobile. I also love having everything all in one place. I can read online manga, I can run Photoshop and fiddle on there, I can write in my Livejournal, I can chatter on MSN... all by just changing a few windows! All I need is my laptop, and I'm good to go. ^^b It's handy, sometimes I play outside on nice summer days. :3 While outside, I have my DSLR around and take nice shots of things while LFP xD Sure, you can step outside while on desktop PC or console, but I don't really even have to move from my system, which is great. It's ideal and I love it.
Windower is a nice touch, too. Though, I feel sometimes some players don't really understand how to play fully because they depend on Windower plug-ins.

Kleric mentioned playing with a PS2 controller via USB. I also do the same. ^^
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-01-10 11:50:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that's a woman every guy needs to find! Tech savy, intelligent, and a FFXI rockstar!

Can I ask what model controller or type of USB dongle do you use to hook up a ps2 controller? Honestly, that's the only thing holding me back from going PC full-time. Well that and a morbid fear of getting hacked on account of a keylogger trojan. Console play feels that much more safer to me on account of it being a closed boxed...
 Phoenix.Strongside
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Strongside 2009-01-10 12:08:48
Link | Quote | Reply

360/PC/PS2 but i prefer 360 HD and smooth gameplay PC is meh plus windower is for noobs who need a bot to keep track of timers etc. only thing i could see using a windower for is more macro space but then when i go to 360 it would be all messed up sooooo FAIL!
 Asura.Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-01-10 12:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, they have on the POL log in screen where you click in your password, instead of typing it. Also, saving your password and logging in automatically helps too. You can also download a lot of plug-ins for Firefox to insure security if you have any doubts. Just don't download any silly third party tools and you generally should be fine. I switched to PC well over 2 years ago, and I have not had any problems.

I use a TB-USB201, I guess. I don't know who makes it, or anything. My fiance bought it for me off Ebay for ~$7. All it says on it is TB-USB201, lol. You can get one for cheap off Ebay, there are a lot of other little ones too, but I just picked this one because it's small and black. :>
 Asura.Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-01-10 12:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Strongside said:
only thing i could see using a windower for is more macro space

And that's exactly what I use it for. Some people can argue that it makes you a bad player but I really don't see how. I mean, I've been down the road of having to press 2-3 buttons for one full set of gear, Windower just makes it easier. I believe knowing when and how to use your gear is a lot more important than if you press 1 button or 2+ :|
 Garuda.Darkfurycult
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Darkfurycult 2009-01-10 12:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

i play on 360 and its prolly just my connection but i have probs in besiged 75% of the time otherwise runs just fine
nvr tryd pc always been a console man since i started playing games
 Ifrit.Dinarii
Server: Ifrit
user: Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-01-10 13:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

used to love ps2 til mine died after many years of heavy usage. could claim NMs reliably, at the time didnt need the macro space, and didnt care about the graphics.

PS2 died, got a 360... hated it. which didnt really matter bc within 56days my 360 died and had to be shipped back for fixins... right before xmas... so since dec of 07 ive been using pc.... all i gotta say is... hahahaha... i miss ps2 for NMs sometimes but other than that. no contest. not needing 3 seperate macros for gear swaps=win in my book ;p

also not seeing 10 lines of "Equipment Changed" and just seeing /echo "Evasion Kit" = win

ninjaedit: and did anyone else have this problem with ps2 mini-kb? while typing rather quickly u get that long line of 1 letter out of nowhere?
like typing "Hey guys what are weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee doing today?" while typing in a regular fashion? rofl
 Asura.Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-01-10 13:42:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Dinarii said:
and did anyone else have this problem with ps2 mini-kb? while typing rather quickly u get that long line of 1 letter out of nowhere?
like typing "Hey guys what are weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee doing today?" while typing in a regular fashion? rofl

I would get that even with a full sized keyboard. That, and where you'd type and it would only pick up a few letters of what you'd say:
"Heya Linkshell~! How's everyone?"
"Hea inshel! Hos evryne?"
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-01-10 13:56:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Dizzmal said:
PC all the way. 29.5 FPS most any time( including dynamis,beseiged, etc. I've had it drop 25 fps maybe a handful of times, normally with a zerg (DL,or somthing like that) That being said i'm waiting on the first "BS you can't run that high all the time!" post so ya. I run AMD phenom quad core Overclocked to 3.6G with 16G ram(64 bit Vista ultimate) and 3 Nvida 9800GX2 in 3 way SLI format. btw No FFXI isn't the only game I play on this PC, but it performs great and I never have lag.^^

HAHAHAHAHA that is such a waste of pc for ffxi. Im runnin amd 3000+ oc'd 2.2, 1 gig ram single 6600gt(other one is in my wifes pc atm) and i run at 30fps all day so says fraps. Was stuck playing on 360 for like 2mos while pc was down, and compaired to any decent pc 360 is a lag box. I for one love the partychat on 360 so i fire it up just so i can talk to my ffxi ppl's when ever. Oh and to everyone who says if you use a windower your a n00b, well i use pol's windower. No plugins and no hacks but i get to hang out on ah.com when lfp^^
First Page 2 3