Forum » FFXIV » Media » FF14 release day announce for PC and PS3
FF14 release day announce for PC and PS3
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-15 11:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
No I am assuming they will. I'm assuming because I WANT to play it, but at this rate I can't.

I'd rather be able to play it than to say "ha this game DOES suck". :/

Fair enough.

But again, calling the character creation shallow is pretty absurd.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-08-15 11:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Not gonna hold my breath on their "release date" but if they do stick to that, they need to update quicker then what they are doing (or so by what I hear) and open beta for server load test, stupid to still have only certain selected people go on and not expect anything bad to happen once they open it on retail (assuming they don't do open, but from what i've heard, it's right around the corner anyway so ... meh)

Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-15 11:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Halloween said:
having 20 hair colors isn't much of an option, especially considering most of which are just different shades of the same colors. Maybe if they had more than 4 hair styles would help. And it's the same thing with their other options. a few here or there and then a bunch of similar shades of the same colors.

And still you pick at things that are completely without merit. In the Aion closed beta, they had ALL the character creation options they do in their retail. I figure part of testing would be making sure the model options all work properly during gameplay and with all the available equipment.

how is jumping of no use? I gave you a perfectly valid reason that we could use it. Wasting travel time is the worst part of an mmo and SE is just pro at making it painfully longer.
I think what ruins the atmosphere of the game is being so stringent on our movement that we can't actually explore where we may want to. a fully explorable world does amazing things to the atmosphere of a game.

A "quick fix" to keymapping being a user-created mod isn't an answer to SE's bad decision on that end. You're offering excuses for their stubbornness now. When have they ever offered customizeable keymapping? If they do, great. But i'll tell you now, it's not going to happen. You can kick me in the face if it does.

You can customise the controls on the PC, to start with.

And look how Aion is doing now? That game is a gigantic failure in revenue and gameplay.

And again your lack of knowledge on the character creation is coming from someone who obviously didn't take the time exploring all the options, Enjoy having generic character 5.

As for jumping, it's unnecessary like I said. Taking 2 more minutes to reach a destination isn't really bad, seeing as you can use Aetheryte to travel as is. Do you really find exploring to be that much of a chore? And in an MMO you are 'NEVER' going to have a full explorable world. (inb4 Aion)

And what the hell are you on about? Have you ever been in a beta? In what beta did you have access to all equipment and everything immediately?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-15 11:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Halloween said:
and servers can't handle a stress test anytime soon. there are still frequent and numerous issues on THAT end.

You do realise they've had numerous stress tests already, right?

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-15 12:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Halloween said:
i meant in terms of open beta.
You're just arguing for the sake of arguing. Just saying, Oh this isnt a big deal and that's not much of a problem, doesn't make them go away.
I spent lots of time on character creation. Call me shallow, but I put a lot of interest in how my character looks, considering i'm looking at him all the time. And this character creation just doesn't deliver. Even if they add other options, it's not making much of a difference. Just look at the nose and mouth options for Lalafell. They have so few, and none of them are much different than the others. Such subtle changes that it really doesnt matter which you choose. It's disappointing at best.

Again proves that you literally spent no time exploring various options. I've never seen two characters looking the same, and I was more than satisfied with the character creation seeing as it's very doubtful this will be it in it's full extent.

I think you're just nitpicking.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-15 12:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Halloween said:
please, then, enlighten me. How is character creation so great that I'm missing it? Where are the options that I've neglected?
The earring option? the generic (and absurd) moustache? the eye makeup?

Multiple hair layers with colours, Customising different aspects of the face, scars, body aspects etc etc.

Meaning that it is VERY easy to have a completely unique character.

And that's just in the Beta.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [30 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Saefinn
Server: Asura
user: Saefinn
By Asura.Saefinn 2010-09-14 18:25:33
Link | Quote | Reply

As a person who programs for a hobby, testing/offering a BETA isn't there to showcase your program, but to test if it works. When it comes to games, (I am currently programming one for a competition) you want to test the game's functions to make sure they work and that people like how you've gone about it. In my current 3 test releases of my project, it's boring to play - you race an opponent around a small race track for 1 level. However, the feedback I've received has been very helpful, as I've made many changes and improvements as I've gone along, most of it is under the hood. If things don't work under the hood, then users will likely experience problems and that's what BETA testing is there for. In one sense, it's a very wise move of Square to do a public beta, it means they can get results from many hardware configurations.

It's not wise to use a BETA or any kind of test version of a product to judge what they're offering you.

So I'm not going to judge FFXIV yet, mind you, due to the lack of a working gaming computer, I've got plenty of time to observe people's reactions. ;)