What Lvl Is It Too High To Have A PL?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What lvl is it too high to have a PL?
What lvl is it too high to have a PL?
 Seraph.Zoey
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: ZoeyofS
By Seraph.Zoey 2009-01-06 14:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

My thoughts on it are that dunes parties can benefit from PLers but only sometimes, ussually PLed parties have crappy setups. If the party is setup in a way where the PL leaves the party cannot continue than the PL situation is more bad than good.

Before Ni and/or refresh it is difficult to nonstop fight like you can ussually pulloff in lvl 55+ parties. I can see in this lvl span from dunes to NI/refresh where a PL can be beneficial but you should expect some downtime in this lvl span. Even with Ni and refresh around you will need a proper team setup to fight efficiently. I think that a party setup should be made as if there is no PL even if there is one. Assuming you setup correctly you could be wasting a PL persons time, otherwise the PL may waste 6 peoples time. Whatever works out works out.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2009-01-06 14:50:45
Link | Quote | Reply

What sort of magic skills would a WHM who had been power levelled to mid levels (or higher) have? I would imagine they would be seriously gimped if they rarely had to use their own spells.

I have WHM at 52 but am in no way brilliant at the job!, I have mostly soloed/duoed and would (possibly) have to re-learn the job to be good at keeping a full party alive,I only really stuck at it to help out my duoing partner who was levelling PLD.
My magic skills are all capped and strangely so are my weapon skills as I have always meleed on that job.
It is a hell of a responsibility being the person who has to keep a whole party regen-ed,hasted,paralyna'd etc.and one I don't think i'm up to without the experience. :(
 Diabolos.Matuyoga
Server: Diabolos
user: Matuyoga
By Diabolos.Matuyoga 2009-01-06 15:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

For the most part, to be good at a job isn't dependent on the player's "skill" so much as their fundamental understanding of the game mechanics of FFXI.

Think about it, how many of you have leveled multiple jobs? It isn't suddenly a whole new experience when you switch from one job to another. The reason being is we all have at least some experience with other jobs because beneath all of the fancy abilities and weapons, there are three classes.

Tank
Damage Dealer
Support

And even if you've only been a DD or support or a tank, I'm sure you've picked up on what to do when playing other jobs because you've been leveling with them for about 65 levels!

In short, knowledge of the game mechanics is the key to success and only new players or complete idiots would have problems leveling a new job because the two are oblivious to them.
 Bahamut.Nomadikhan
Server: Bahamut
user: Nomad
By Bahamut.Nomadikhan 2009-01-06 15:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally and this is just me. I am oldschool and really doon't care for PL. lol I've PL'd for peoples partys but I don't like having a PL partys I am in.

Yea there nice, but especialy now that level sync is spoiling everyone, there are way to many noobs in the game with high level jobs and 0 skill...

Other day I had 75 warrior in pt that didn't have axe leveled, we asked why he he couldn't SC and he said my axe only 146... wtf you have 146 axe skill at 75 war...

PL + Level Sync /fail imho
 Fairy.Blackmist
Server: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-01-06 15:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I think its kinda funny, how this topic is tittled ( What lvl is it too high to have a PL?) yet like only 4 posts actually stated a level,. were every one else is judging some ones skill, or ability to play there job depending on if they are pl'd or not.

Anyway,
I beleave getting PL'd from 1 >10 and thats it thats whre it should stop.

I'm not saying Decline Any & all future pl's *i how ever never had a pl untell i had 3 lvl 30 jobs >.> I never saw a brd untell like my 5th job thru the dunes "stoped at 30 each job"* <rant>

You can learn your job, with a PL' You just need to actualy care about the job, an pay attention, hell you can watch what the PL is doing, and mimic him/her an be just fine. I.E You notice them healing X player at X hp%, or you see What jobs the pl is takeing priorty over, witch job gets healed 1st. Ofcourse, This isn't the best way 98% of pl's want hate on them so they don't gotta waist mp.

besides >.> its common scene to read the description of a spell / ability an use them at least once outa curiosity.

<rant> I Did however have come acrost a player "drk" who didn't know what spinning Scythe did, and used it alot, because it "Never missed" >.> had no clue it was a Aoe >.> ya ^^; almost hit a few near by lesser colibri, but thats just neglagence :D

might just be mixing up bad players from pl's or just negligence to the job well.. ok i should stop befor i keep ranting hah
 Ramuh.Shadowarrior
Server: Ramuh
user: lilaznkru
By Ramuh.Shadowarrior 2009-01-06 16:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

mmm.... i dont believe in PLs... but i believe in outside main healing ^^b when i pt i go 1 or 2 buffers and 4/5 dds. and i DualBox the outside healer [rdm or whm] makes for fast pts even with shitty players... it also works in meripos.. makes for amazing meripos even with average players.

i mean having a PL never "hurts" the pt unless their taking hate from the tank and dying. so maybe it depends on the skill of the PLer? it could be that the healer gets bored and leaves? lol

well thats my 2cents... i almost always bring my PLer to a party <74 just cause atleast i can haste everyone or R3s or whatever for support [or take over if the healer is a complete idiot]
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-01-06 16:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Monsterrain said:
My question is at what lvl should you start learning how to do your job and stop getting Plvl'ed? This is comming from a comment an LS mate told me about a pty he was in when a tank said "I am not tanking let the PL tank" I hate the dunes as much as you do, and there are a lot of times when just getting to lvl 24-25 is a godsend...but is that Plvl gonna hurt you in the long run if you get it 10-37? if its a job youre gonna take to 75? I feel players are better to not have the PL since if you can tank IT++ at 24-37 it just gets easier from then on out....i mean i think about it...would you rather have a pld...nin...whm...rdm at lvl 40 who has never actually played their job or someone who actually played their job the whole time?

Truly lvl 1. Gaining EXP from 1-8 is easy, even for new players. I recently started lvling a mule and got not only free food and crafting mats but a RR earring and EXP band.

From about 10-30 you learn the basics of your job. After lvl 30, you're fine tuning the basics and learning very few new abilities. 50-60 depending on the job is finishing touches, otherwise there shouldn't be any reason you are not competent/have mastered that job at mid 50s. If you're a tank and aren't voking every 30 seconds, you should find another job to level.

Side note: If you're in a lvl sync'd party and wearing full AF and being PL'd, you look ridiculous.
 Asura.Yotevol
Server: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-01-06 16:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

PowerLevelers can help for any level 1-75, however the argument is when is a PL more of a pain, then a benefit.

For example: If a Dunes party has someone that is new to the game and is a THF, then for god's sake, let him learn when to use SA and SA/WS. If someone just unlocked PLD and is in their first party in the Dunes, let them cap their shield skill and evasion skill prior to letting some PowerLevel tank.

At higher levels, a PLed job will be completely helpless to a party without the experience you learn from mistakes and deaths. Otherwise, the PLed characted is about as useful as a character just bought off of E-Bay....

~Yotevol
Leader of LavitzReborn, a relaxed Sky/Sea Linkshell
Apply at www.lavitzreborn.tk
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-06 17:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The one thing I hate about a PL, and I will leave a party over this, is people's tendency to overhunt with them.

You'll be in a level 12 dunes party with a PL, and people want to go to gob camp so they can get 200 exp a kill once every 10 min. I can solo faster than that.

Thanks to expwatch, things like that happen less often.. but still.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-06 23:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Matuyoga said:
For the most part, to be good at a job isn't dependent on the player's "skill" so much as their fundamental understanding of the game mechanics of FFXI.

I agree but also think it's dependant on which job it is. For example for pld, while voking and flashing every time you can because you think this is the only thing a pld has to do is evident of a lack of skill at the job.

At the same time though, if you have a 75 or more already you know how a party should be performing, you know the whm should be regening you even though you've never player whm before.

Really just read up on your job and ask a more experianced player after/during a party if you're doing a good job and for any hints and tips! I've learnt a lot more about Pld from advice by a experianced pld friend of mine than I would have from just exping 1-75.
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-01-07 05:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Celestinia said:
I've learnt a lot more about Pld from advice by a experianced pld friend of mine than I would have from just exping 1-75.

I agree that you might get better information, about the job, from someone that knows about it, than playing it. Because you might never do something a friend tells you to try it out.

But no pld can teach you things like timing. The right time to press cure 4 macro so it doesnt get interrupted and so on. Only with practice will you you be able to minimize that interruption rate.

Imagine 2 PLD that like the job and care about doing it the right way. One read everything abouyt the job and had advice from the best PLDs ever, but just picked up a PLD 75... and the other found out everthing for himself playing the job to 75 (remember both are interested in doing it the best way possible)

I'm sure the one that took PLD to 75 will be the better PLD.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-07 06:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
Celestinia said:
I've learnt a lot more about Pld from advice by a experianced pld friend of mine than I would have from just exping 1-75.
I agree that you might get better information, about the job, from someone that knows about it, than playing it. Because you might never do something a friend tells you to try it out. But no pld can teach you things like timing. The right time to press cure 4 macro so it doesnt get interrupted and so on. Only with practice will you you be able to minimize that interruption rate. Imagine 2 PLD that like the job and care about doing it the right way. One read everything abouyt the job and had advice from the best PLDs ever, but just picked up a PLD 75... and the other found out everthing for himself playing the job to 75 (remember both are interested in doing it the best way possible) I'm sure the one that took PLD to 75 will be the better PLD.

Lol this is true. You obviously still learn lots from xping and if I had just picked up a 75pld i wouldnt know how to time spells.

I didn't mean to make it sound like "don't level your job just read up on it" lol because i'm totaly for trying to get to 75 without PL.

I think a players skill with a job comes from both leveling and from reading up on job and you should do both and some PL'd parties harm newer players skill with their job, as most probably don't read up on wiki, so new players end up being gimp players...

But yeah... I dont think PL'd parties make much difference to more experianced players as it does to newer ones.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-01-07 06:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

True story, while I was leveling BRD in the Mire, the WHM I was leveling with (who got me killed 10 times in that one party btw) had to had a PLer with him cause he sucked sooooooooooo bad. He actually got his WHM friend to PL him (who was a WHM75) so there would be 2 healers, one for the party, and the other for me (I guess I sucked at BRD also, I was taking hate from the NIN just by singing songs). It was a fun day that day, and it was one of the rare party setups where I didn't leave after my first 2 deaths.
 Gilgamesh.Xarchangel
By Gilgamesh.Xarchangel 2009-01-07 08:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Celestinia's comment "I dont think PL'd parties make much difference to more experianced players as it does to newer ones."

I think this is true, an expereinced party really loses no skill from some one coming and pl'n for them for a bit, but a group of new players do. Most experienced players already know the fundamentals of playing most jobs, they know how SATA works and understand hate control and what ever other skills a job may have. Its the new players that have never been exposed to those things it hurts. Its like thinking a ranger should pull over a thief in a party just because there main attack is ranged...
 Remora.Devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-07 10:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
But no pld can teach you things like timing. The right time to press cure 4 macro so it doesnt get interrupted and so on. Only with practice will you you be able to minimize that interruption rate.

Cast right before it hits you.

Easy.

I figured that one out leveling black mage in east saru. I'm not HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Yet some people who leveled pld all the way to 75, can't use their mp for anything but flash. They are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

See the pattern? HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE people will be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE no matter what.. so when I exp I am going to get a PL.
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-01-07 10:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek said:
Onepenny said:
Cast right before it hits you. Easy. I figured that one out leveing black mage in east saru.

I rest my case, you learned that by playing ;)

btw i totaly agree with you about ppl always wanting to fight "way to high" mobs. Ive always seen better xp/hour from fighting VT mobs than IT ones. But most ppl only say good xp if they see 200+ on a mob :)
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-01-07 10:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I think there are many opinions for this question, I can PL myself if I'm soloing or skilling up, for xp pt, if I'm lower lvl i dont mind taking my xtra char along if I have him out already or if i know thr isnt enough healing. Most of the time I just tell the pt that its thr for emergency. Sometimes if I'm a lil bored and feel like visiting some ls members i'd go help a bit just to do something even if they are lvl 70.

I don't think there's a limit, but there is more common sense of what situations to use a PL.
 Remora.Devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-07 10:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

But I wasn't even high enough level to be in a pt yet :P
 Midgardsormr.Amaron
Server: Midgardsormr
user: amaron11
By Midgardsormr.Amaron 2009-01-07 10:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I look at PL a lot differently than I used to.

I used to refuse any and all PL'ed parties on principal alone. Now, I'll take a PL but if I'm in a 40+ job, I feel real stupid being PL'ed.

PL allows players in lower level jobs the opportunity to get out of the lower levels as quick as they can. I can't knock that, but if you can't get 5k an hour minimum at 40+ without a PL then you need to figure out what's wrong with your party.

I've seen too many bad non-PL'ed characters to care about the bad PL'ed ones anymore.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-01-07 10:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh. I cannot stand leveling for the most part with the exception of duo'ing with friends. I have access to several accounts and several computers so if I'm leveling anything on any character, I'm PL'ing myself at the same time. Whether it's solo, duo, or a full party, a PL just increases the xp/hr significantly which means I have to spend that much less time leveling the job. I really couldn't care less whether some noob in the party isn't learning the ins and outs of their job, I only care about being out there leveling for as little time as possible.
 Alexander.Metallum
Server: Alexander
user: Hath
By Alexander.Metallum 2009-01-07 10:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The day I am constantly hasted I will not bring a PL to camps.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kalix
Server: Ifrit
user: Tokitung
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-01-07 11:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

A PL is a luxury, it should NEVER be a neccessity. If you have to rely on a PL to survive, you may want to rethink your setup/location.

I don't think that new players should get PLs, as I do agree that by struggling through the dunes and so forth you get to learn the basics of your jobs i.e. DDs gauging how much hate they have, Mages learning MP conservation, SC and MB, Tanking tricks (primarily Nin, Pld is pretty by the book), and most importantly guaging what your party can take.

If I'm in a party 50+ and either the Tank or the Main Healer says that they NEED a PL to exp, I'm gonna ditch that party in a heartbeat. Pre-50 there are just some times and areas that can be very ruff and exp can be slow. Once you start on Birds/Imps though, it's so easy that IMO a PL is just someone waiting to raise you if something goes horribly wrong.
 Kujata.Vaprak
Server: Kujata
user: Vaprak
By Kujata.Vaprak 2009-01-07 13:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

There are times when it makes more sense for the PLer to tank, but that should ALWAYS be PLer's decision, not the party tank's. I've been in parties as high as 60-65 where one member might be dual-boxing an extra healer, but at that level it's more "supplementary healing" than "powerleveling" anymore.

I'm with the original poster: I have never asked anyone to PL me and I don't PL others, just as a matter of principle, but I won't refuse a party just because they have a PL.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-01-07 15:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Kalix here.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-01-07 16:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek said:
Onepenny said:
Cast right before it hits you. Easy. I figured that one out leveling black mage in east saru. I'm not HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Yet some people who leveled pld all the way to 75, can't use their mp for anything but flash. They are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. See the pattern? HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE people will be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE no matter what.. so when I exp I am going to get a PL.

Yes they may still be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE but they probaly haven't tried timing it, which is a simple idea.
It's kinda like when you you are THF or /thf and notice too much lag on your SATA macros. It wasn't until a fellow THF told me areas they had bad lag and to try TA before SA. Walla! I had less lag because the SA animation was longer than TA. It was something I didn't think of because I thought the problem was in my /wait time. Its practice and experimentation. Alot of which go "bye-bye birdie" when you have a PL because all you care about is getting to 75 quick.

As for experienced players being PL'd I still see them losing out. If you take a career WHM and they try to tank, the majority of them that I've seen suck. They aren't used to that career path.

Then again, maybe it's me. I like seeing blue stats before I level. If I have an A or B rated skill and it's not capped before I level, I'm doing something wrong. I don't like the idea of looking for skillup PT or standing around casting when I can take that time to be crafting, exping or completeing a quest/storyline.

Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Monsterrain said:
Let me preface this question with the fact i have never asked anyone in my ffxi career for a Plvl, and never will.

Though i have never asked doesnt mean i will deny a pty with a plvl.

My question is at what lvl should you start learning how to do your job and stop getting Plvl'ed?

This is comming from a comment an LS mate told me about a pty he was in when a tank said "I am not tanking let the PL tank"

I hate the dunes as much as you do, and there are a lot of times when just getting to lvl 24-25 is a godsend...but is that Plvl gonna hurt you in the long run if you get it 10-37? if its a job youre gonna take to 75?

I feel players are better to not have the PL since if you can tank IT++ at 24-37 it just gets easier from then on out....i mean i think about it...would you rather have a pld...nin...whm...rdm at lvl 40 who has never actually played their job or someone who actually played their job the whole time?

Personally I only PL friends and LS mates, and only when I'm bored. The highest level PT I have PL'd is LV60. Once a PT is 60+ mostly all a PL can do is Haste. However I have been in a LV67-68 PT that had a PLD PL...that was kinda interesting.

Personally, I believe PLing is a luxury, and unless someone is being like constantly PL'd (like every PT or some crap like that) I don't see it having an bad effect on someone's playing skills. Not at the low levels anyway. Even without a PL, new players are gonna suck.

Personally, I don't like to PL PT's over LV37. Why? They start needing Cure IV's after that, and the mages generally don't want to do their job that level and later, if the PT has a PL. LV37+ is when most jobs start having to actually learn to play their job as well. Easier to draw hate if you're a mage, or a DD. More job abilities for people to manage, faster pulls, etc.

What we do when we want to make a PL PT, is we find out which of us is PLing, what job is being used to PL with, and then build a PT based off of that. Usually we make 12k/hr PTs, even at dunes or Qufim level, that way.

Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

the pl is not good... a lot of players whit pl dont know his job or dont know how to play cose aver playing whit pl and the pl tank/heal.
if you can play whiout pl is a bit slow so you will learn how works your job

pay attention in school much?
 Leviathan.Celestinia
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-01-07 19:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in a party earlier at level 61 and guess what? Yup there was a PL there and it really got on my nerves.

I was on Pld and I love to keep hate and keep the mob in position for thf and drk to do SATA and so forth and if I cant heal myself I lose a great way to gain hate, instead the PL is healing me and trying to keep me at 100% hp and is getting hate on themselves ruining our positioning midfight.

Just thought i'd mention this, because imo its a good example of where you don't need a PL (he was there for the sake of being there not speeding up the pt at all). We had a rdm and blm in the pt and I had plenty of refresh going on so I didnt runout of mp healing myself.

It did make tanking a bit more challanging which I like lol but it did get annoying when the DD missed a SAWS because PL took hate off me spamming cures.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-01-07 20:32:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Spekter said:
the pl is not good... a lot of players whit pl dont know his job or dont know how to play cose aver playing whit pl and the pl tank/heal.
if you can play whiout pl is a bit slow so you will learn how works your job

pay attention in school much?

<.<