Considering Leveling Blu..

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Considering leveling blu..
Considering leveling blu..
 Leviathan.Dubont
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-06-20 04:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

so blu is 31. I was thinking of leveling it for a Sub mainly for cor drk etc etc with the possibility of taking it all the way if invites aren't as bad as they used to be

I know how to learn magic and I have a full list of the spells/mobs/locations near me so thats not a problem

My problem comes with, I haven't had a lot of experience with partying as blu.

Should I sub nin or thf? maybe whm? war perhaps?
Should I gear for acc/att for my spells or are there more MAB spells?
Which spells should I focus on equipping the most (aside from healing breath and other target curing spells?
Kilij or Cent sword? lol
Is carrying a Dark Staff around worth losing your TP?
Which pieces of gear are key?
As far as AF hands, should I only use them when spell hunting or are they acceptable in ptys if a mob uses a spell you need?

I r confuse. Blu iz hard. ='(

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-06-20 04:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Take what I say with a truck load of salt, I have BLU75 but I got it "pre-levelled" in a manner of speaking.

I find that BLU/NIN is an unbelievable combination; though in PT's I always find more BLU /THF than /NIN.

I only really have any experience with BLU's higher level spells, but at lower levels personally I'd go for Acc/STR/DEX. I've never really seen Attack do much personally.

Head Butt, Bludgeon, Sprout Smack are all good spells. I think Death Scissors is an early SC closer (I think Flat Blade > Death Scissors is Gravitation, I could be horribly wrong though). Take a glance over the spells you have and pick a couple of decent DD spells (Bludgeon is pretty awesome) and a couple of decent debuff spells (Sprout Smack is pretty great for that) and then fill the rest out how you see fit!

Personally, I'd use Cent Sword, Acc+3 Att+4 is a pretty big bonus at 31 (+6 +8 if you're /NIN and dual wielding).

I'd recommend you carry a Dark Staff, even if you only use it when you have < 20 TP or something to avoid huge losses.

I won't comment on the key gear pieces while I don't have much experience, but I'd recommend a SH and a V Cloak at the appropriate levels. SH for when you're whiffing or have high MP, V Cloak for when you're MP is getting a little low.

Personally I wouldn't mind BLU using AF hands in a PT if they were getting a spell they were likely to need/use, but there isn't a huge amount for hand slots until 72 anyway~

As I said though; take what I say with a truck load of salt =) I'm sure other people (who levelled BLU themselves) will be able to help out XD
 Leviathan.Dubont
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-06-20 04:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

ok I was looking at the AF...as far as the head goes, the way I understand it, if you use a spell that is of a type that trumps the type of mob ur fighting, the head increases the effectiveness of the spell?

Also, judging from the stats, its not a good TP piece pre-70 or at all for that matter is it?

As for the hands, I kinda figured. Looks like battle gloves from pup will carry over..

Body piece, at AF level, if I'm hitting ok, would AF body be better for Blu skill or is it not worth losing 10-12 acc?

Sorry for the "hur dur you been playing for how long?" questions, I've just never dealt with a Melee job that actually used magic to this level of effectiveness.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-20 17:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:
ok I was looking at the AF...as far as the head goes, the way I understand it, if you use a spell that is of a type that trumps the type of mob ur fighting, the head increases the effectiveness of the spell?
Yes, but I can't think of any physical spell off the top of my head where I'd use it at 75... nor during EXP if you've got Voyager Sallet. It's basically the only option worth noting for MP Drainkiss until ~75 though; amorphs trump birds and guess what you'll be spending most of your time fighting if you party?!
Quote:
I think Flat Blade > Death Scissors is Gravitation, I could be horribly wrong though
Close, it's RLB > DS. Sickle Slash works as well. At Mire party levels, Vorpal > Hysteric is the way to go.
Quote:
Personally, I'd use Cent Sword, Acc+3 Att+4 is a pretty big bonus at 31 (+6 +8 if you're /NIN and dual wielding).

I'd recommend you carry a Dark Staff, even if you only use it when you have < 20 TP or something to avoid huge losses.
Both of these. None of the lower level Kilij/Slayer type weapons are really worth using; a bit of max MP vs better offensive stats and usually some acc easily favors the latter. Dark/Pluto's Staff is good for both resting and boosting your bursted MP Drainkiss (after all, you won't have any TP after your SC).
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-06-20 18:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU is best job in ffxi, welcome to the party.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-20 22:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU/THF is nice burst damage, but it's nothing compared to /NIN DPS. Especially 60+ when you got Vorpal, assuming you gear for vorpal, and since most parties come with a COR and/or BRD you'll be getting even more out of /NIN as well. /THF is situationally better for support ie when you have a NIN tank that you need to SATA.
 Fenrir.Akuma
Server: Fenrir
user: nasamoo
By Fenrir.Akuma 2010-06-21 12:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
BLU is best job in ffxi, welcome to the party.

^THIS ^ ^
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-06-21 12:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly prefer soloing on BLU.

No way for other people to screw up your self skillchains. :3

I'm BLU/NIN or BLU/RDM most of the time, but after the update, I'm BLU/DNC for solo!

I haven't done much partying, but my friends tell me /THF is good from 30+.