Malawian Gay Marriage Couple Split

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Malawian gay marriage couple split
Malawian gay marriage couple split
 Bahamut.Kelia
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kelia
By Bahamut.Kelia 2010-06-09 21:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

...over a woman named Dorothy, am I the only one thinking this is a really funny hoax?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/10273459.stm
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-06-09 21:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A gay couple who were jailed in Malawi have split after one of them moved in with a woman, according to reports.

Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga were sentenced to 14 years' hard labour in May, then freed following international condemnation.

But Monjeza told Malawi's Nation newspaper that he had been coerced into the gay relationship, and was now with a woman named Dorothy Gulo.

When freed last month, they were taken separately to their home villages.

'Star-crossed lovers'

The pair were warned they faced re-arrest if they continued their relationship.

Ms Gulo was also interviewed by the newspaper and said: "I'd heard about men getting involved in a sexual relationship. I was curious so I accepted him."

Asked about Monjeza's former partner, she told the Nation: "I'm scared he is going to beat me up."

Human rights advocate Peter Tatchell, who campaigned for Chimbalanga and Monjeza's release, said anti-gay pressure had split the "star-crossed lovers".

"It is a tragedy that homophobic threats and abuse have forced this couple apart," he said. "They were deeply in love. The pressure has got to Steven."

There was condemnation from around the world for Malawi's anti-homosexuality laws after the pair were jailed for "gross indecency and unnatural acts".

Under pressure from donor countries, Malawian President Bingu wa Mutharika granted them a pardon, citing humanitarian grounds.

His announcement followed a meeting with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, who praised the decision as courageous.

However, President Mutharika was recently reported as saying Mr Chimbalanga, 20, and 26-year-old Mr Monjeza's acts were disgusting.

The pair had been held in custody since their arrest in December last year, a day after they held a traditional engagement ceremony.

They were convicted of engaging in gay sex under a law dating back to colonial rule by Britain.

For the lazy.
 Lakshmi.Galith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2010-06-09 22:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Quote:
A gay couple who were jailed in Malawi have split after one of them moved in with a woman, according to reports.

Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga were sentenced to 14 years' hard labour in May, then freed following international condemnation.

But Monjeza told Malawi's Nation newspaper that he had been coerced into the gay relationship, and was now with a woman named Dorothy Gulo.

When freed last month, they were taken separately to their home villages.

'Star-crossed lovers'

The pair were warned they faced re-arrest if they continued their relationship.

Ms Gulo was also interviewed by the newspaper and said: "I'd heard about men getting involved in a sexual relationship. I was curious so I accepted him."

Asked about Monjeza's former partner, she told the Nation: "I'm scared he is going to beat me up."

Human rights advocate Peter Tatchell, who campaigned for Chimbalanga and Monjeza's release, said anti-gay pressure had split the "star-crossed lovers".

"It is a tragedy that homophobic threats and abuse have forced this couple apart," he said. "They were deeply in love. The pressure has got to Steven."

There was condemnation from around the world for Malawi's anti-homosexuality laws after the pair were jailed for "gross indecency and unnatural acts".

Under pressure from donor countries, Malawian President Bingu wa Mutharika granted them a pardon, citing humanitarian grounds.

His announcement followed a meeting with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, who praised the decision as courageous.

However, President Mutharika was recently reported as saying Mr Chimbalanga, 20, and 26-year-old Mr Monjeza's acts were disgusting.

The pair had been held in custody since their arrest in December last year, a day after they held a traditional engagement ceremony.

They were convicted of engaging in gay sex under a law dating back to colonial rule by Britain.

For the lazy.

Can u read it to a webcam and upload it to youtube for the super lazy?
[+]