I LOVE Lady Gaga.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » I LOVE Lady Gaga.
I LOVE Lady Gaga.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 11 12 13
By Zekko 2010-06-02 12:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
I let sales (concert and CD) talk about who is talented. People buy stuff they like.

Then we're all ***.

Non-talented artists become one-hit wonders. Any longer than 2~3 albums, they clearly are doing something that the world likes. Why is that a talent? Because not everyone can do it. Those that can either fail miserably or become one-hit wonders.

It's fine that YOU don't like it, but a larger majority begs to differ. She's got talent, just not talent that you like.

Lil Wayne must be talented as *** bro
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-02 12:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Either s/he's a dude (most likely) or she's packin about 2lbs of roast beef under that. Either way, DO NOT WANT.
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-02 12:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Quoting Jaerik here in regards to the "no talent" argument (not because he's a mod, but because I think he knows what he's talking about~)
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Play that video earlier in the thread of her doing the solo piano version of Paparazzi. Listen to her chord progressions. Some of those are fascinating suspensions and very tricky from a music theory standpoint. She also throws in a lot of intervals from Romantic era stuff, particularly the soaring sixths. In other words, she very clearly has a deep and talented understanding of music theory, much of which has strong classical overtones borrowed from people like Bach and Mozart.

You can feel, like I do, that it's somewhat unfortunate that it all then has to be wrapped up and baked down to "pop" instruments and beats to get anyone to listen to it. And that most of that is lost in the final version. And you can argue that classical music requires more human skill to perform. (This isn't up for argument, it takes more "man years" of talent in a room to play a symphony than run a drum loop.)

But from seeing her old stuff and her solo, non-pop work, I think it's a complete travesty to compare her to other empty pop stars like say, Britney Spears. Who have no understanding of music theory, no classical training, and need a lot of electronic help just to hit the notes they're supposed to.

QFT. Jaerik is well spoken more so than any of us could ever hope to come close to.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-02 12:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekko said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
I let sales (concert and CD) talk about who is talented. People buy stuff they like.

Then we're all ***.

Non-talented artists become one-hit wonders. Any longer than 2~3 albums, they clearly are doing something that the world likes. Why is that a talent? Because not everyone can do it. Those that can either fail miserably or become one-hit wonders.

It's fine that YOU don't like it, but a larger majority begs to differ. She's got talent, just not talent that you like.

Lil Wayne must be talented as *** bro

Yup. I don't like it, but his style is catchy to many.
 Valefor.Xiga
Server: Valefor
user: M4k4i
By Valefor.Xiga 2010-06-02 12:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Imo the most important thing in this debate is: How do you experience music?

There's one thing I'll never forget: Seeing Radiohead live. It was so damn *** aweseome, seeing this man, wearing a t-shirt, no lights flickering, no background dancers and stuff like that. Just his aweseome voice, 40.000 people and you could here a fixing pin hit the ground. I had the goosebumps of my life. If you would ask me whether this band is talented I would answer: "Hell *** yeah!" Radiohead are mainstream and millions love them. Compared to that and many other bands I love (Turbonegro, Queens Of The Stoneage, Massive Attack, Foo Fighters and so on) Lady Gaga is invisible to me. It depends on what music genre you like. And I just can't stand this weird neo-pop-music, I just don't like it. Like I said: Maybe LG is talented, but I couldn't care less about her music. ;)
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-02 12:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Last bit before I go :3

By Zekko 2010-06-02 12:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

^ The guy above me agreed Lil Wayne had talent too :/
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-02 12:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Last bit before I go :3

Jazz and Rap comparison. Nice. c.c
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-02 12:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Quoting Jaerik here in regards to the "no talent" argument (not because he's a mod, but because I think he knows what he's talking about~)
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Play that video earlier in the thread of her doing the solo piano version of Paparazzi. Listen to her chord progressions. Some of those are fascinating suspensions and very tricky from a music theory standpoint. She also throws in a lot of intervals from Romantic era stuff, particularly the soaring sixths. In other words, she very clearly has a deep and talented understanding of music theory, much of which has strong classical overtones borrowed from people like Bach and Mozart.

You can feel, like I do, that it's somewhat unfortunate that it all then has to be wrapped up and baked down to "pop" instruments and beats to get anyone to listen to it. And that most of that is lost in the final version. And you can argue that classical music requires more human skill to perform. (This isn't up for argument, it takes more "man years" of talent in a room to play a symphony than run a drum loop.)

But from seeing her old stuff and her solo, non-pop work, I think it's a complete travesty to compare her to other empty pop stars like say, Britney Spears. Who have no understanding of music theory, no classical training, and need a lot of electronic help just to hit the notes they're supposed to.
Thank you. Says it better than I ever could.
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Kinda. It was going towards Nightfyre.
I already stated I respect your opinion concerning her music, but I disagree with your assessment of an objective fact: her talent. Two independent statements.
Sylph.Spency said:
See, that comment just makes you look like an ***. You work in a music store, don't you?
At this point I'm just annoyed, so yeah. No, I don't work in a music store lol.
Sylph.Akibakei said:
So you think that because you can play a little music in your dorm room that you are the ONLY person who can play an instrument. you are talking to a career drummer, me, who has played/sang in front of hundreds/thousands of people at a time. Doesnt mean i know all but I sure as hell dont throw this in an argument cause it makes me look cool.

You are just a *** who things they know it all.. a superiority complex because you play an instrument and think you know all. wow, you know how to play something... everyone /bow
How can you NOT hear it then? And no, I've done a hell of a lot more than just play in my dorm room lol. The largest crowd I've played to was nearly 3000 people in a classical venue (far less for contemporary material, just local venues), so we can discard that. I genuinely don't understand how you don't hear how well she pulls it off. The progressions are ingenious, her melodies are rock solid, her vocals are spot on and she can work them better than any of my colleagues.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-02 12:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you read the title of the pic? It was more of a racial trend poke more so than a musical one since they're two completely separate genres. But as you can see, they got lost along the way.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-02 12:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So African Americans were the only ones to have a huge trend change in music?
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-02 12:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Night, I've already observed and had no qualms about her ability to sing and perform on the piano which I tip my hat to despite it going against my own tastes. However, this talent is so easily drowned out by her mainstream neo-pop atmosphere with computerized music and ridiculous outfits as versed by Jaerik himself.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-02 12:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:

Was just an example buddy. No need to get your panties in a knot.
By Kakurot 2010-06-02 12:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lady Guyguy* Multiple corrections at once...
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-02 12:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:

I'm trying to figure out the point of the post, then.
***changes. Everything does. What makes music any different?
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-02 12:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:

It's all going downhill as of late.

Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-02 12:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Was that a semi-subliminal ad for Virgin Mobile I just saw in that video Mytoy? Talk about fail D:
 Sylph.Akibakei
Server: Sylph
user: Akiba
By Sylph.Akibakei 2010-06-02 12:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

why nickelback sucks

Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-02 12:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:

It's all going downhill as of late.

Meh, I guess. I like modern music. I'm an electro-freak so all this Auto-Tune stuff is cool to me. c.c

By Zekko 2010-06-02 12:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

That song pretty much sums up all mainstream music.
Steve wilson is a genius.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-02 12:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahahahahahahaha, that was brilliant Zekk. So true.
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-06-02 12:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Talent, Music, its all subjective. Some people think being amazing complex is massive talent, why others think being about to play good music in its simplest form, or even being able to make something good out of the flaws in music to be talent.

Really, its a pointless debate.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-02 12:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Talent, Music, its all subjective. Some people think being amazing complex is massive talent, why others think being about to play good music in its simplest form, or even being able to make something good out of the flaws in music to be talent.

Really, its a pointless debate.

I'm realizing that, so I'm going to stop arguing.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-02 12:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Cookies are delicious. DEBATE!

Post deleted by User.
By Zekko 2010-06-02 12:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply