The Great Debate Redux: Political Correctness

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » The Great Debate Redux: Political Correctness
The Great Debate Redux: Political Correctness
 Caitsith.Silvaria
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-06-03 18:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
How is it any worse than it's ever been? lol

Something tells me that this is directly related to the other thread (one incident), and that had that not taken place this post would not have been made.

If it is getting "worse" it's simply because it used to be commonplace to flat-out insult minorities and groups that went against the grain. Now people realize that we're all people and we should all be treated equally. I don't view that as worse, but to each their own. Some people don't particularly like being referred "***" or hearing "that's so gay," etc. It's rude, to be honest.

Stop being so straight. (lol)

Agreed. It used to be OK to be openly racist...thanks to the "political correctness" that everyone is so quick to vilify, it's no longer as OK as it used to be. Like most things, political correctness in moderation is not necessarily all that bad.

That being said, I personally refuse to use the term "African-American". As Tiger mentioned, the vast majority of black people have never set foot in Africa, so it seems a silly misnomer to me. I'm white, they're black...wth is so wrong with saying that?

As for the "gay" thing...I can see where some ultra-sensitive homosexuals can be rather offended by it's use, however, the fact is that "gay" used to mean, "happy and carefree"...then it meant, "homosexual"...now it means, "lame and stupid"...so the cultural meaning changed, big deal. Fifty years from now, it might mean "totally cool"...build a bridge, and get over it. 8)
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-03 18:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

some homo's get offended by the word gay being mentioned, others are proud and call themselves ***...
Had a friend who I called a ***, love like yeah.
another guy i met was a cry baby about anything involving the 'gay' subject mentioned, and once actually flipped out on me because he didnt like a comment I said and made a big *** drama about it.

I was too drunk to care told him to gtfo.
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-03 18:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

If gay were typically used in the context of something being strange or unusual then that would be understandable, since a typical synonym with gay is *** meaning exactly that: something strange or unusual. Unfortunately more often than not it's associated with something bad or undesirable.
 Asura.Biddy
Server: Asura
user: BunkMonk
By Asura.Biddy 2010-06-03 19:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Carrelo said:
Asura.Biddy said:
OK, lets take the term "***". Quit your bitching! That test was such a ***! etc. Being female, should I get offended every single time I hear that because it is a derogatory term for women? Context is everything.

I'm not getting in to "shoulds" or "should nots," just trying to look at things from a different perspective for the purposes of debate.^^

Indeed there are women who take offense to the whole *** thing, much in the same way that gay people can be put off by the way that others use their descriptor to mean "f'd up" / etc.

Besides, when someone says their test was "such a ***," etc., they are evoking the negative meaning that has already been attached to that word: an unpleasant or difficult woman. The test in this example is being explicitly compared to an actual ***; I don't see this sort of relationship between "gay" and "shitty"/"f'd up", unless of course one wishes to imply that gay people are actually shitty people or f'd up people.

Do I think that those who throw around the term gay as an insult are bad people ? Not at all. Do I think that most of them intend the above implication ? Of course not. Do I see why it can be offensive ? Absolutely.

Do I find it offensive myself ? A little, but I'd say more annoying than anything. XD I definitely agree with what you said about the context though; it bothers me a lot less if I know the person well enough to see that they mean no offense. If I don't know the person though, who knows what they mean ?

The only thing I'll nitpick is that the actual definition of the term "***" is a female dog, the other is just slang which is widely accepted. If only dogs could talk so that they could share their opinion on the slang definition of *** ;) Kidding aside, I do see your point, but I feel in the case of "gay" and "HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE", it is generally used in such a way that a person shouldn't take offense to it. There will always be people who use those terms (and others) in a malicious manner, but those people are an exception to this.

Asura.Biddy
Server: Asura
user: BunkMonk
By Asura.Biddy 2010-06-03 19:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Silvaria said:
Agreed. It used to be OK to be openly racist...thanks to the "political correctness" that everyone is so quick to vilify, it's no longer as OK as it used to be. Like most things, political correctness in moderation is not necessarily all that bad.

I'd like to think most people in this thread understand that political correctness isn't a horrible thing. When people go overboard on it (i.e. red pens hurting the feelings of the wee children), then it becomes an issue.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-15 04:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Being, or at least trying to be politically correct isn't a bad thing. It's the people who get all worked up over everything that *** it all up. Like that news article someone had around here the other day about the graduation card that said "showing those black holes who's boss" or something along those lines. Some group of retards got all offended because they thought it said *** instead of holes, kicked up a stink and got the card recalled. In my opinion, the whole red/purple pen mentality is doing nothing but teaching our children to be overly sensitive to stupid crap.

On the topic of saying "that's gay". I'm guilty of that, my best friend is gay and I have no issue with it, but it's a habit I picked up somewhere along the line, and is just slang. I try not to say it, but occasionally I say it to him, and he doesn't care because he knows I'm not trying to say that all gay people are shitty/HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE/whatever.

However, that's also attributed to the company I'm with. If I used the same term around someone I didn't know was gay, or that didn't know me very well or something like that, I could perfectly understand how it could be taken not as I intended. Just because using certain words/terms in whatever context is acceptable around your friends, doesn't make it any better though. You and your friends might all say ***/***/retard/asian/***/***/***/*** and many other things to each other and it's fine, but you really shouldn't be shocked if someone takes offense to that kinda language.

As stupid as it may seem to someone like Tiger saying African-American instead of just saying black, I can't really see him getting offended by it (maybe I'm wrong). And the people that ARE offended by that are what's *** up with society. These are the people that need to chill the *** out, and not get offended by comments that clearly weren't intended to offend.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ouch
By Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie 2010-06-15 05:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Martin Luther King Jr. referred to himself as a negro. If I were to call a black man a negro today, I'd get my *** kicked. What was once a perfectly acceptable term quickly becomes derogatory. It's already difficult to tell if we should say African American or black. In a few years, I imagine neither will be acceptable.

It's even more confusing in the instance with appropriate terms for homosexual where the acceptability of a word seems cyclical. *** was a perfectly appropriate way of referring to a homosexual years ago, but then it fell out of favor and became a crude slur. Now it seems the term has been "reclaimed" and is once again acceptable.

The words we use are a symptom. As long as there is unreasonable animosity towards blacks, gays, or any other minorities, any term which is acceptable will eventually become unacceptable. Political correctness addresses a symptom without ever attempting to engage in a solution to the actual problem. In all honesty, I'd say it does more harm than good.