RDM Magnetic Or Ethereal?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » RDM magnetic or ethereal?
RDM magnetic or ethereal?
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-17 17:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't be hard to test cast alot of stuff with as much conserve mp gear you can get without having the trait. The second it procs even once you proved it.
 Sylph.Kozuki
Server: Sylph
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kozuki 2010-05-17 17:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If you take 600 damage, ethereal gives you like 18 mp...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-17 17:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kozuki said:
At most. Remember it rounds down. IT might give 0
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-05-17 18:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kozuki said:

You know it stacks right? You don't need to take 600 damage in one shot, can take 50, then 50 and get MP return. It's an over time bonus not get-hit-get-all-mp-back-instantly.
[+]
 Leviathan.Abriel
Server: Leviathan
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-17 18:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Wouldn't be hard to test cast alot of stuff with as much conserve mp gear you can get without having the trait. The second it procs even once you proved it.

hmm, might have misunderstood your post, because it almost sounded like you could use it in a precast set then swap it out before the spell goes off and have it process, lol.
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-17 18:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

evil evil double posting!

either way, magnetic is probably the best choice in your case (unless you NEED both ear slots during casting, think this is only really 'necessary' for tanking for enmity choices), just because it's pretty much guaranteed to save a certain amount mp over time, where you're not guaranteed to get decent mp over time with etherial unless you're playing sloppy.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-05-17 18:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, that'd be interesting to see if Conserve MP is calculated at the same time Fast Cast is. Then you'd pretty much always start your spells with Loquacious+Magnetic, and end with potency/macc. Dunno why they'd calculate Conserve MP that early, but could make for some interesting things. Could get away with casting a lot more spells starting with Goliard Body, and finishing with something more useful.

You'd probably start seeing lots of BLMs push Conserve MP gear at the start of their nukes, and MAB+INT at the end.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-17 19:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Deadwing said:
I would say magnetic, not only is the conserve mp useful for all casts, but its some of the only spell interruption rate for the ear slot. Helpful if you want to cap spell interruption reduction for utsu.

*more easily. if I remember right you can cap interruption rate w/o it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-17 19:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting though cause wiki didn't used to say that stuff about precasting so I might have to test it out. If so I might have to rewrite my precast set lol
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-05-17 19:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, BLM could get to get 60% Conserve MP trait with the right gear. Making the trait proc more often than not. If this was calculated pre-cast, you could expect to get at least 1/16th reduction from your AMII while still doing 2k+ damage D:
 Sylph.Kozuki
By Sylph.Kozuki 2010-05-17 19:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Sylph.Kozuki said:

You know it stacks right? You don't need to take 600 damage in one shot, can take 50, then 50 and get MP return. It's an over time bonus not get-hit-get-all-mp-back-instantly.
Yes, you'll gain like 1 mp everytime being hit, it's the same thing. You take 600 damage total or 600 damage over time, same mp gained. Also, if you take too little damage you don't gain any MP at all.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-17 19:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

How much does the Conserve MP save you over time?

Neither of them are significant increases by any stretch of the imagination, but Ethereal gives you the MP on demand when you desperately need it at least.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-17 19:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
How much does the Conserve MP save you over time?
On average it's 28.125% mp conserved per activation.

Each point to the trait giving +1% chance to activate. The job ability giving 25
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-17 20:10:45
Link | Quote | Reply

So ~1.4% MP saved per cast, average? That's about 1.2 MP saved on average per 88 MP Cure IV. Neither option saves a lot of MP...

Sylph.Kozuki
By Sylph.Kozuki 2010-05-17 21:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Both earrings aren't very good.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-05-17 21:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

As a RDM/NIN, neither earring offers anything you want. As others have already suggested, Hollow Earring is your earring if you're RDM main and solo a lot. Not sure how much damage it adds to enspells but it's definitely a lot more useful than the other two.
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-17 23:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:
As a RDM/NIN, neither earring offers anything you want. As others have already suggested, Hollow Earring is your earring if you're RDM main and solo a lot. Not sure how much damage it adds to enspells but it's definitely a lot more useful than the other two.

says right on the earring, +3 damage, lol. I forget if you need to full time it for the damage to activate, but chances are that you do, there's really nothing better than suppa+hollow with a weapon like joyeusse any way. if you have any other melee DD jobs this is the best it gets other than DM earrings for TP (and multi-hit WSs dependent on other WS gear).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-18 00:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk about you but most of the time I sub nin for rdm soloing I'm not meleeing.

As far as if it needs to stay on... no no it doesn't. In fact I've read somewhere that it also seems to increase sambas too
By Acemister 2010-05-18 05:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all your info/advices, I think I'll go for the ethereal, on the basis of my other jobs, (SAM/THF/PLD/BLM)

When I do solo its normally in sky or sea, and I'll probably macro this in for an idle set.

Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-18 07:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd seriously consider hollow with sam/thf/pld. though if you play the traditional 'face tank' pld, etherial won't totally go to waste.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-05-20 18:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Magnetic. All earrings options are situationnal and ethereal is probably the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE choice you could think off. It's useful *when* taking damage and even then it gives a ***bonus. Magnetic doubles as hmp/maxMP/spell interruption. Pair it with loquacious for convert, use it in your 102% spell interruption and you hmp set. Conserve mp is a bonus that over time is probably going to beat damage>MP anyway. If you don't care about spell interruption that's fine, noone is perfect. I hope you don't carry merman/novia/MND2/pdt earrings then. Because I'm sure as hell that the bonus they give is worse than magnetic.

Bahamut.Habs
user: habs
By Bahamut.Habs 2010-05-27 11:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-27 11:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Spell Interruption gear generally isn't that useful until you can approach the cap. Why would you nuke in Magnetic over Moldy/Novia though <_>
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-27 11:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Spell Interruption gear generally isn't that useful until you can approach the cap. Why would you nuke in Magnetic over Moldy/Novia though <_>
More importantly, why would you use -Spell Interrupt gear for Ni? I mean I know there's nothing better to use besides Fast Cast and Haste, but you'd have to be incredibly inept to get hit while trying to cast a spell that's practically instant.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-27 11:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
I used to nuke in magnetic... then I got novia. Though been reading up and supposedly conserve mp is precast... still actually need to test that but yeah.

Also supposedly Hollow works on sambas...
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-27 11:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

This is also very true lol, how did I miss that <_<
 Sylph.Kimble
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-05-27 11:57:22