Is There A Market For A Linkshell Devoted To Newer, More Inexperienced Players?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Gilgamesh » Is there a market for a linkshell devoted to newer, more inexperienced players?
Is there a market for a linkshell devoted to newer, more inexperienced players?
By RoganSalvador 2010-05-15 16:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm debating whether to launch a linkshell on the Gilgamesh server devoted to slightly more inexperienced players who aren't up to the sky high standards of most of the other linkshells around. I've been lucky enough to be part of a couple of wonderful linkshells up until now full of helpful and friendly players, but one problem I often come up against (understandably) is that the majority of members concentrate almost exclusively on end game content, meaning they have very little time to spare to help with the earlier quests and missions, resulting in a catch twenty-two situation as without their help I can't advance to their level. If I was to go ahead with this I'd be aiming for a very friendly, warm, welcoming and helpful community of players who will gladly give up a little of their time to help others, and who can hopefully expect the same in return. Would anyone at all be interested in this? If so, please reply to this post or send a tell in game to Roganjosh. Many thanks indeed.
 Lakshmi.Ophie
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: OphieLuv
By Lakshmi.Ophie 2010-05-15 16:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

This is always a nice idea all in all, but honestly said, whenever a Linkshell is made that is geared mostly to beginners or inexperienced players, the original members usually become overwhelmed with requests for the same things over and over again.

Newer players and ones that aren't involved with end game things sometimes don't have the same initiative to go to events planned for them so in the end, people end up doing Kazham keys, and Promies like 800+ times because someone always misses out.

So usually a Linkshell like this just becomes tiring for people who are higher up and just want something that isn't end game. Even the Leader can become exhausted doing events and planning things that people don't come to.

That being said, if it's for fun and its with your friends who you know will join you and do lots of things, go for it!!
By RoganSalvador 2010-05-15 16:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

^^ Thanks a lot for your input Lakshmi! Will definitely take all that on board - I know things rarely turn out the way you plan them to, but if it was to go ahead I would try my very best to keep things structured and well-organised yet still helpful and welcoming. Anyhow, your feedback is much appreciated - I hope to bump into you in-game sometime! Thanks again :)
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-05-15 16:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, by the way, the format of names is;

Server.CharacterName
By RoganSalvador 2010-05-15 16:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

^^ Oh, I'm sorry! Many thanks Ophie, in that case - and to you, Sectumsempra!
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-05-15 16:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If for no other reason, you'll have problems building a decent sized community (having just a handful of people in your LS is nearly the same as having no one at all, schedules rarely sync up) because the vast majority of players have already got all the lower level things out of the way. This game has been going on for 8 years now, and sure there are new people coming all the time, but a lot of those new comers are coming because a friend got them into the game to begin with, where they will join their friends LS.

Just pointing that out.

EDIT: if you wanna go for it, go ahead, don't let me hold you back, I personally wouldn't really hold out hope on this getting off the ground.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-05-15 18:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I would be happy to join you and help out with the early missions as long as me and my fiance (Hughjorgan) could get help doing the promyvions ^^. I have this character (Shayala) whose top job is DNC 71 and my MNK Mithra (Miala) who is lvl 75, Hughjorgan is 75 PLD. We can usually be found in either Sandy(s) or Windy(s) these days.
 Lakshmi.Ophie
user: OphieLuv
By Lakshmi.Ophie 2010-05-15 18:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh snap! I'm a server now!! XD
 Caitsith.Silvaria
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-05-15 19:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

To the OP, I hope it works out. I started the game in July of '07, and I was invited to join an LS early on where they were talking about things I had no clue about (one day someone said they were "farming"...I thought that meant literally FARMING, as in cows, tractors, and pastures, LOL!). I asked questions, no one ever bothered to answer me. Perhaps they thought I was dumb, or too much of a newb to pay attention to, but it really burned me on linkshells for quite a while.

So, I ended up being on my own for the first 4 or so months of playing. One day, I met some people in a pt and was offered a pearl. I took it, to be polite, then it sat in my inventory unused for another month or two. One day I decided to check it out...turned out to be an -extremely- helpful LS, GatheredMilitia on formerly-Pandy-now-Asura. It was geared towards helping people, and much of the progress I made early on was thanks to the people in that LS. In fact, it still thrives today, and is still very welcoming of newbies and very helpful for those in need.

My point is just that it is possible to create a LS for the purpose of helping newbies, and have it succeed. Good luck to you, I hope it all works out. 8)
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-15 19:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

good idea really.
 Gilgamesh.Raulete
user: raulin
By Gilgamesh.Raulete 2010-05-24 05:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

illuminated is a really good social in gmt got a few usa players but most of them are euro.
they do missions, cop's statics, bcnm ksnm.....
sometimes do ohats SB etc whit the ppl and another ppl of his sky ls
getstuffdone GTD.
if you need a pearl contact whit an oficer in game surely you gona join there
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rylis
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2010-05-24 06:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

When I first started playing, a friend and I were absolutely certain we had to have a linkshell of our own, and we certainly were rather newbie, as were a lot of people.

It took us a while to actually find a formative group, but when we did, we tended to pick up more and more new players than anything else, and while it was a fun LS, in general, it was sooooo much work. I'm generally a helpful sort, and I don't mind going out of my way to get someone along in the game.

However, that LS became one of the biggest chores I've ever had to deal with on this game. A few people would whine for weeks about needing this mission or that mission, or this quest and that one, doing BCNMs or such.. And we'd try to work it all around, set up a forum that no one used, etc.

And still, it just seemed like every time we tried to organize something for the newer players, we'd miss a few people, the time wouldn't be right for everyone, no one else would take any initiative, etc.

So, while it can be a nice, fun idea, I think you'd probably be better off finding a slightly organized social LS that does random events or in-house pickup groups/statics. It's less of a headache, and if you put forth the drive to help the members of that LS, I'm sure you'll find some help in return.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Katori
user: agroyboy
By Gilgamesh.Katori 2010-06-10 04:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

gl bro. im welling to help low lvl guys out when i can. i wouldnt leave my ls for yours but am willing to help where i can as long as you dont think im going to be helping all day because everyone has goals and wants to get better even us sky high players. but i hope this ls gets off the ground good to have ls's like this around on server to get people where othrs are. and i was from asura pandy ls i rememeber it :)
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-10 04:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a great idea, I love helping noobs or "inexperienced players", problem they always quit before level 20 and all time and effort goes to waste. But I still believe new players are what makes the any game alive.
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
Server: Unicorn
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-06-10 05:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Everytime I roll out the red carpet and am generous with gear, time, money all the ppl I give ***too quit/dissapear:/

The only ppl who remain are the self motivated who instead of being crushed / intimidated by how far behind they are, RISE to the occasion if ppl help or not.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-06-10 05:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly that's what social shells are for, there's a lot of them out there. If you want to go ahead but there's plenty of social shells on every server already doing this, they just don't label themselves as it or target new players mainly.

At this point in the game I don't see this being good, it's prolly best anyone starting from level one right now just stop playing and find a new game, possibly FF14 when it's released. Not saying FFXI is dead, just it's a bit late in the game.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-06-10 05:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

It isn't just new players who need this sort of shell though Samuraiking. Myself and my fiance have been playing for two years now and we still haven't managed to find a shell (or even a pick-up group) willing to help us do the Promies. We are now at the point where we both have horribly gimp geared lvl 75 characters >.<

We both know and admit to being gimped and for that reason we are not wanted in any shell as everyone sees us as noobs still.

It has now got to the point where we are just hoping we can duo the promies when SE removes the lvl cap in Promyvion zones, if not we will just keep playing as we do now until FFXIV comes out and will then jump ship to that.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-06-10 05:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

While technically off topic and not the point, ur a dnc and I personally couldn't give a ***how pimp dnc is as long as they wear acc gear which you have at least enough of.

Anyway, try joining a social LS. In a social LS no one cares how gimp you are, you build relationships with people in them and they are willing to do crappy ***like promies.

I mean ***, if you're that hard up for a LS, I have a social one you can join if you message me when i'm online. No guarantee about the promies though. Level cap is being removed very soon so help may not be needed until later on.