Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Dark Souls & other Souls-Likes
Dark Souls & other Souls-Likes
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84 ... 224 225 226
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-05-25 13:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, don't accidentally attack the NPC at the Firelink shrine bonfire, unless you want a crash course in impotent fury. (Though to his credit, that's how I mastered my Riposte really early)

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Namco talks Dark Souls 2 marketing: "we're treating this as a massive, massive triple-A title"
Would like to attract Skyrim players, but series fans are the focus

Namco played it safe with the original Dark Souls marketing budget, and with good reason - this, after all, is the game that takes pride in being inaccessible. According to PR director Lee Kirton, however, the publisher has no qualms about blowing the bank on Dark Souls 2.

"The good thing this time round is we're investing more in it from a marketing perspective," Kirton told OXM at a preview event in London today. "With Dark Souls and [PS3-exclusive spiritual predecessor] Demon Souls it was very focused, small-scale. We're treating this as a massive, massive triple-A title."

"We're going to go guns-blazing with it, and hope to God that it works," he continued. "We're going after people who love and adore Dark Souls, while hopefully widening the net a little. I'm not saying that every Skyrim player's going to be jumping on Dark Souls, but it would be nice if some of them did. It's a different game, sure."

Aoife says that Dark Souls 2 is considerably tougher than the original. Her recent feature also suggests that the time-honoured aphorism "the only good dragon is a dead dragon" doesn't always hold water.

Rather amusingly/unnervingly, alternative titles for Dark Souls once proposed by developer From Software include "Dark Race" and "Dark Ring" - thanks to CVG for the insight there.

I like Dark Souls and all, but they're setting themselves up for failure. If they shoot their wad on advertising like a big AAA title with the 7-8Million sales expectation that Skyrim had set, we're not going to see another Dark Souls game.
By Enuyasha 2013-05-25 13:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I've just been pumping VIT with souls atm trying to figure out what to do. Nice to know i should just get stats up to 40, currently at 27/40 VIT everything else is at base for a started Knight. :<

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Enuyasha 2013-05-25 13:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Josiahfk said: »
Enuyasha said: »
I've just been pumping VIT with souls atm trying to figure out what to do. Nice to know i should just get stats up to 40, currently at 27/40 VIT everything else is at base for a started Knight. :<
what system are you on and level? I can give you a hand sometime senor~
xbox360 level 19 :< i need to change my gamertag RQ on FFXIAH >_>

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Ravant
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ravant
By Ragnarok.Ravant 2013-05-27 13:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Stumbled on this today. Dark Souls speed run. Dark Souls Great for people like me who never finished the game but would like to see all the boss fights.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-05-27 14:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ravant said: »
Stumbled on this today. Dark Souls speed run. Dark Souls Great for people like me who never finished the game but would like to see all the boss fights.
You really should finish :( it's a great game
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-05-27 14:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from the Kings of New Londo and the last ***, Dark Souls isn't even that hard. Once you lean how to optimize Stamina and Equipload.

I read that Seathe The Scaleless was supposed to be the hardest boss, but I beat him in one try, and even got that weapon from breaking off his tail solo. I had a way harder time with those 4 *** at the end of the New Londo Ruins, But I had an Archer build optimized around the Phos Bow (Or whatever that was from the Archer in the forest)

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-05-27 14:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

New gear?! Better ragequit and make threads everywhere about why.

I wish I still had Dark Souls though, I got it "Temp-Rented" From Gamestop.

If you don't know what that means, well, Gamestop (At least mine) has a policy where if you get a used game, and bring it back within a week, you get a full refund. So you can basically just cycle their entire library of Pre-Owned with little more than a security deposit.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-06-01 23:10:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leaked Dark Souls 2 Concept Art

Asura.Zizek
Server: Asura
user: zizek
By Asura.Zizek 2013-06-01 23:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

that's totally Ciaran :O
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-01 23:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I never bothered to learn the names of anyone/anyplace in Dark Souls. Everything was either "Cockbag" or "This *** place again."
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-06-02 00:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

the lore is wonderful, I spent weeks reading up on everything and learning the story behind the game.

It's just something not everyone gets into
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-02 00:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
the lore is wonderful, I spent weeks reading up on everything and learning the story behind the game.

It's just something not everyone gets into

I love lore, but the game was made by FromSoftware (Of Armored Core Fame) so I assumed the more I tried to learn, the less sense it would make.

Though as of late, I've come to see Armored Core as kind of a condemnation of pure Randian Libertarianism and unrestrained Laissez-faire economics, so maybe I just haven't been playing Dark Souls intoxicated enough.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-06-02 00:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

oh, dark souls doesn't make much sense >.> I still love it
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-02 00:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't mistake my jabs at it's design flaws as dislike, It's probably one of my favorite games this generation.

Dark Souls II and Dragon Age III are like the only games I'm actively watching right now. The Bureau: Xcom Declassified might be okay, but I'd say that's a coinflip at best, not worth investing pre-release time into.

The only thing I can say I really don't like about Dark Souls at all, is the Dragons.

I see everyone talking about how "This is what Skyrim Should have done" but honestly, the Dragons in Dark Souls were just cheap set pieces that were easy to exploit and unrewarding to kill. That *** on the Bridge at the end of Undeadburg(?) was really hard until you have a ranged weapon and get under said bridge.

Was that thing even meant to die? It didn't drop anything and the place it opened was like a Bonfire and low-quality loot. Maybe a Humanity or two, which promptly got lost to like a zombie or something stupid.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-06-02 00:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The Hellkite Dragon (red dragon guarding the bridge) has very little HP, but has the highest spike damage in the game.

The Gaping Dragon (the depths) looked horrible and intimidating to new players, but has a very obvious pattern that is easy to figure out if you stand back and watch it.

The Stone Dragon (ash lake) descended from the ancient dragons, or a surviving ancient dragon (Domhnall of Zena rumor).

The Undead Dragons are in a few places, they're corpses of the ancient dragons that maintain some spark of life.

Crossbreed Priscilla (Painted World of Ariamis) is a Dragon Crossbreed *** child.

Black Dragon Kalameet is part of the DLC, and is no pushover by any means. It's not horribly challenging but it puts up a great fight.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-06-02 00:41:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, Skyrim dragons were only really broken because the enhancing system was broken, really really broken... so much that I felt like I had to avoid any enhancing just to have some fun in the game.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-06-02 01:40:39
Link | Quote | Reply

My anticipation for the sequel has dropped a lot just because its not coming out on next gen consoles. It could have been a fantastic launch title that didn't involve shooting people, but alas, I'll prolly just pick it up a year later like I did the first one.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-02 02:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sony maybe... But definitely not Microsoft.

Either way, I don't think Dark Souls II needed to be next-gen, if anything, it's better that it wasn't because it'll likely take about a year for enough worthwhile games to surface to justify a buy. I love Dark Souls, but it's not a platform mover.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-06-02 02:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
My anticipation for the sequel has dropped a lot just because its not coming out on next gen consoles. It could have been a fantastic launch title that didn't involve shooting people, but alas, I'll prolly just pick it up a year later like I did the first one.
There is a much larger audience on PS3 and 360, it would cost millions more to meet the standards of Xbox1 & PS4. More time would be put into making it look pretty for the eyes, and that's never been what the game is about.

All the people crying about it not being on next gen are ridiculous, it might eventually get ported to the new consoles, but the game is being designed for PC atm, then being ported to 360/ps3.

I'm not even the slightest bit sad that it's not on the next generation, it would have been a huge mistake on their part.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-02 02:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I just hope that "Going in Guns Blazing" and "Treating this game like a massive AAA title" doesn't mean, "We hope this game sells 8m just like Skyrim."

Because if those are their expectations... Well, look at Square Enix.

Dark Souls/Demons Souls was a success not in spite of it's "Small Scale" and "Very Focused" marketing strategy, it was successful because of it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Evilpaul
Server: Cerberus
user: Evilpaul
By Cerberus.Evilpaul 2013-06-02 02:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a few things I wanted to mention here about Dark Souls. If you didn't think Dark Souls made much sense, then you really need to watch the Lore videos on Youtube by EpicNameBro and VaatiVidya. The story in Dark Souls is on its face very straightforward, but where you find various items and those item descriptions tells so much more. But you really have to look for it. You can really take out of it what you put in.

About whether or not Dark Souls 2 should have been Next-Gen or not...
From Software will focus on PC version of Dark Souls 2
PC Version Of Dark Souls II Ain’t No Port
Dark Souls II PC lead platform 60 fps,Consoles still 30- Consoles am cry
PC version of Dark Souls 2 to serve as base for console versions

I would hope it's not controversial to suggest that PCs which can have three $1000 Geforce Titan cards and Intel's fastest Core i7 chips are faster than eight of AMD's Bobcat-derived low power consumption Jaguar cores and a Radeon 7750 graphics core? (I like AMD and am not crapping on them; I'm typing this on my Phenom II X4 PC. It's just an example.)

Besides, if you've finished Dark Souls a couple times was it really flashy shaders and particle effects that made it a great experience? I should hardly think so. (See what I did there?)
By Ophannus 2013-06-02 04:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of the funnest games are the obscure, unmarketed games.

Rez
Shadow of the Colossus
Portal
Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2013-06-02 04:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Was that thing even meant to die? It didn't drop anything and the place it opened was like a Bonfire and low-quality loot. Maybe a Humanity or two, which promptly got lost to like a zombie or something stupid.

And the Sunlight Altar, giving you access to a new Covenant!

Though yeah, I agree that Kalameet and Gaping Dragon aside, the dragon fights in both games are pretty tedious. I'd say the very least interesting part of Demon's Souls is killing the Red and Blue ones.

Also, fun story;

I've seen some people say that the above image is proof that Dark Souls is becoming sexualised......
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-02 14:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said: »
Odin.Zicdeh said: »

And the Sunlight Altar, giving you access to a new Covenant!

Though yeah, I agree that Kalameet and Gaping Dragon aside, the dragon fights in both games are pretty tedious. I'd say the very least interesting part of Demon's Souls is killing the Red and Blue ones.

I only found two covenants, the one from the Four Kings of New Londo and the other from Giant Sky Titties.

Bahamut.Raenryong said: »
Also, fun story;

I've seen some people say that the above image is proof that Dark Souls is becoming sexualised......

Considering FromSoftware is a Japanese developer, the fact that her armor has the faintest hint of breasts is really the only indicator that the person is Female, since JP love their androgyny so much.

Also, what about Giant Sky Titties? Did people already forget about those?

Oh, and before I forget, this is outside the LACC

Doesn't exactly compare to This:

So maybe there is hope that they aren't overspending on marketing.
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84 ... 224 225 226