Dark Souls & other Souls-Likes
First Page 2 3 ... 83 84 85 ... 224 225 226
 Asura.Zizek
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: zizek
By Asura.Zizek 2013-06-02 14:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

no one else thinks thats ciaran? :O anyone have any good DS2 speculation websites?
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-02 15:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said: »
Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Was that thing even meant to die? It didn't drop anything and the place it opened was like a Bonfire and low-quality loot. Maybe a Humanity or two, which promptly got lost to like a zombie or something stupid.

And the Sunlight Altar, giving you access to a new Covenant!

Though yeah, I agree that Kalameet and Gaping Dragon aside, the dragon fights in both games are pretty tedious. I'd say the very least interesting part of Demon's Souls is killing the Red and Blue ones.

Also, fun story;

I've seen some people say that the above image is proof that Dark Souls is becoming sexualised......
I know right...
there was totally nothing sexual that could come from DS 1
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-06-02 15:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Zizek said: »
no one else thinks thats ciaran? :O anyone have any good DS2 speculation websites?
ENB suggested that parts of the game might be Carim, and the developers said that the game wouldn't be open world. It will take on what Demon's Souls did, and you'll visit different locations that are too far apart to be connected for an open world.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-02 15:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Asura.Zizek said: »
ENB suggested that parts of the game might be Carim, and the developers said that the game wouldn't be open world. It will take on what Demon's Souls did, and you'll visit different locations that are too far apart to be connected for an open world.
The long sword kinda makes me doubt it is Ciaran since she was known for the two weapons she gives you wasn't she? The lack of shield makes her being from Carim make sense though. I think it was the Parrying Dagger's description that said their knights were famous for their two weapon style.
 Asura.Zizek
user: zizek
By Asura.Zizek 2013-06-02 15:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well she gives the silver and gold tracer, and she has a rapier and a dagger on her leg. Plus, the anor londo looking background. Someone from Carim would be awesome, so many unexplored areas and gods in dark souls lore, am so excited. ^^
edit: oh and the other reason was that Ciaran's mask is similar to the ones in the original DS2 trailer, but you know those people could have been anything
edit again: Silver Tracer is a Dagger, Gold Tracer is a curved sword :P still just speculation though.
By Kimble2013 2013-06-02 15:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Game is due out March 2014.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2013-06-02 15:38:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they are confusing "earlier than expected" with "way, way later than expected...."

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-06-02 22:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I found more, so I'll be adding the ones I had before to this post.

Here is some older news:

Dark Souls 2 development photos show new armor sets and character designs
January 25, 2013By: Shui Ta

Hidetaka Miyazaki on stepping away from Dark Souls II and the future of the series

Dark Souls II: Shibuya on the gameworld, awkwardness and accessibility

Dark Souls 2 Roughly 25% Finished, May Miss 2013 Release Date
29th, Jan. 2013by Rashid Sayed

Dark Souls II: Revealing a new world through concept art

Dark Souls 2 - Gameplay Reveal 12 Minute Demo
YouTube Video Placeholder

[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-02 22:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Another name for Concept art is "Cocktease".

We are getting close to the point where Concept Art is comparable to the game art, but still not close enough for me to really get excited seeing it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-06-04 17:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

UDON Announces "Dark Souls: Design Works" Book for the West
Hardcover collection matches Japanese edition this fall
Joseph LusterJune 04, 2013 8:38am CDT

Last night UDON Entertainment announced plans to bring another fantastic art book to the west. This time it's none other than Dark Souls: Design Works, which is due out this October for $39.99.

The full-color hardcover collection matches the Japanese edition, and features key visuals, concept art, designs for characters, weapons, and monsters, rough sketches, and more. There's also a behind-the-scenes interview with director Hidetaka Miyazaki and the game's artists.

More info at Udon's page for Dark Souls: Design Works.

The book is up for pre-order now, and UDON shared the sample pages below:

Just click an image to enlarge it.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-10 13:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Souls II - PS3/X360/PC - Go Beyond Death (E3 2013)
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-06-10 13:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Not enough dying in that trailer.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2013-06-10 19:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I can already see me rage throwing my controllers.
[+]
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2013-06-10 19:30:04
Link | Quote | Reply

my bros already saying he's going to force me to get this so we can play together over internets and he can watch me cry.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-06-10 19:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a good brother you have there Daus. Cherish him.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-11 22:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is some news from IGN, I'm going to post some other news stuffs after as well:

E3 2013: Dark Souls II: The Veteran and the Victim
We finally get our hands on FromSoft’s sequel.

by Marty SlivaJune 11, 2013

Dark Souls earned its infamy by living up to its slogan, “Prepare to Die.” A merit badge to some and an unfathomable piece of masochism to others, the game made its mark by marrying the unrelenting difficulty of the 8-bit generation with an obtuse suite of systems and mechanics that were never overtly explained to the player. Some gamers relished this fresh experience, while others couldn’t comprehend why anyone would submit themselves to such torture. In such, it’s no surprise that this pairing still exists as the heart and soul of Dark Souls II, Namco Bandai’s eagerly-awaited follow-up.

After revealing the first look at the gameplay back in April, we were finally given the chance to get our hands on a small slice of the game, which included a short dungeon followed by an intensely impressive boss encounter. But instead of just having a single take on the demo, we decided to tackle the game from two very different perspectives. One IGN editor braved through the series and views it as one of the most remarkable achievements of this generation, while the other has never even given thought to kindling a bonfire. Here’s what they thought.

Dark Souls II E3 Gameplay Trailer - Rewind Theater
They actually analyze the trailer and point some things out you might have missed the first time.

Marty Sliva, Associate Editor

I spearheaded the IGN Wiki for the original Dark Souls back in 2011. After a few endless days of completely hating my job, I eventually grew to appreciate, respect, and ultimately love the world that FromSoft had created. So it’s no surprise that I was eagerly awaiting the chance to get my hands on Dark Souls II, and I’m happy to report that it’s everything fans of the series have hoped it would be. I immediately felt at home with my premade Sorcerer, who came equipped with an ancient chunk of driftwood capable of delivering new magic attacks such as a rainfall of fiery meteors and a gigantic, holy energy sword.

Though it took a minute or two to regain my sea legs, I quickly slipped back into the conservative mindset I had created back in 2011. Dark Souls is all about fearing and respecting every single encounter, and the sequel is no different. The combat was every bit as methodical as I remembered, and the new enemy types such as a large, armored, bi-pedal turtle proved to be perfectly capable of abruptly ending a play session. A few twists on the formula, such as carrying torches to illuminate darkened halls and enemies that could smash through pieces of the environment, helped keep the same sense of discovery that existed throughout the original game.

Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Reveal - 12 Minute Demo

Richard George, Executive Editor

My experience with Dark Souls was basically limited to watching our 24-hour live stream long ago and wondering why the people playing it were being such cowards. So, to ease myself into the experience, I tried a demo station that had 'god mode' turned on. I figured I'd get a feel for how the game worked, how its mechanics were structured, and I jokingly told Marty to let me know when I would have ordinarily died.

I think I started to realize the severity of the game when Marty told me I would have died within the first minute or so of play, and then I managed to technically die anyway, by falling off a cliff during combat.

So, basically, I died in 'god mode'. Is there an Achievement for that?

Dark Souls II is certainly no joke. I watched one journalist struggle, in god mode, for a good 30 minutes trying to defeat the Mirror Knight boss. Unlimited health and that beast was still one hell of an obstacle. My own experience wasn't exactly much better. I realized how critical my stamina was. I figured, before playing, that the Dark Souls experience was a balance of offense and defense. I'd just block until I had an opening. But that's not possible. Playing defense will get you killed. Go figure. Talking to Marty, as he noted time and time again that I would have died (I think we stopped counting after a while), he told me that it wasn't just about offense or defense, but proximity and distance. And it was about dying.

Everything You Want to Know About Dark Souls 2

Marty Sliva

Oh man, that Mirror Knight. Fans of the series know that one of the most enjoyable parts of a Souls game is finding out what fresh hell the developers have concocted, and with the Mirror Knight, they did not disappoint. Once I made it through the demo’s castle, I stepped through that familiar fog and appeared at the top of crumbling tower, and damn if it didn’t look amazing. Between the fantastic architecture and a raging storm, it was as visually impressive as any game from this generation. But I only had a second to take in the sights, because immediately the boss came charging towards me.

The Mirror Knight resembled a larger, shinier version of the statue guards that adorned the halls of Anor Lando, but with one major addition. He wielded a massive, reflective shield that he would occasionally plant into the ground. Upon doing this, a figure of a trapped soul appeared in the glass, pounding on the surface as if it was incased in a prison. Eventually the struggle led to the shield shattering, and out came a tortured warrior that you’d have to fight with alongside the Knight. In short, it was the first of what will hopefully be many unforgettable boss encounters in DSII.

Official E3 2013 Dark Souls 2 Trailer

Rich George

Dark Souls II, a brutally old-school, hardcore game, is about dying as much as it is living. You're basically expected to die, so that you observe your struggle, your failure, and learn from it. You die against a turtle when you attempt to attack it from behind. Now you know to never do that again. It's unforgiving, but that's the whole point.

I think I get the point of Dark Souls. But I also think the people who love it and the people who make it are probably insane. That's kind of cool though. It's certainly bold to head that direction when everything is about being bigger while being more accessible and mainstream. It takes a lot of guts to not care about that.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-06-11 22:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Rich George said:
But I also think the people who love it and the people who make it are probably insane. That's kind of cool though.
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-11 22:22:35
Link | Quote | Reply

some very HQ screenshots coming up :< if my fingers would type fast enough.
By volkom 2013-06-11 22:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
some very HQ screenshots coming up :< if my fingers would type fast enough.

you need voice to text software :P
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-11 22:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Souls 2 hands-on: Still brilliant, slightly different
By Michael McWhertorJun 11, 2013

Dark Souls 2 has a new director and a new engine, but the soul of From Software's series of dark, challenging role-playing games appears to be intact in Dark Souls 2, even if slipping into its body feels a bit different.

Some of the game's changes, including its new graphics engine, took a bit of time to get used to in a recent hands-on demo. The control of characters felt noticeably different, speedier perhaps, and without the weight of characters in Dark Souls. We had no way to see what our characters stats were, nor the weight of the equipment they carried, so it's difficult to judge how character's will ultimately feel.

And Dark Souls 2 won't ship for consoles and PC until March 2014, so the game has time to gel and be polished. But the extra time From Software has to perfect the game is comforting.

From Software's E3 demo for Dark Souls 2 features two pre-built characters: a Warrior, based on the character seen in the game's debut trailer, who was armed with a shield, short straight sword and a gleaming greatsword; and a Sorcerer, equipped with a short sword and a tall catalyst for spellcasting. (Another two were locked in the version we played.)

The Sorcerer had a range of offensive spells and pyromancies at his disposal, including a soul arrow-like magic attack and another that rained down a volley of soul arrow attacks. He could toss fireballs and emit a sweeping wisp of flame, which arced out at a very specific distance. The Sorcerer also had a unique shield that looked like it was collection of runes made of wrought iron.

That Sorcerer shield stood out as one of the examples of brilliant visual design that separates From's take on dark medieval fantasy from its peers. Seeing this unusual, ineffective-looking shield was strangely exciting. It immediately conveys information about its weaknesses and possible strengths, and I cursed From Software for not letting us dig into the game's menus to see what this runic shield could do.

Dark Souls 2's E3 demo takes place inside and among the exterior of a crumbling, medieval structure; not quite a castle or fortified, but a broken fortress that looked largely abandoned. Its inhabitants included low level dreglings, a type of undead creature armed with sword and shield or bow and arrow, and heavily armored creatures with bulky tortoise shell armor. Those bulky shelled enemies wielded heavy maces capable of smashing through walls and could crush a player with a backward fall if they attempted a backstab.

Backstabbing will make a return in Dark Souls 2, but in a slightly different form. In the case of the Warrior character, executing a backstab with his short sword performed a three-hit animation: a hilt bash followed by two slashes to the back. Rather than stabbing through the torso of an enemy, backstabs will results in attacks with weapon-specific flourishes.

According to a Namco rep, players may accidentally "whiff" a backstab if they're within range, but not at a distance close enough to execute. A short sword backstab attempt may miss on the first part of the three-part attack, we were told, leaving the backstabber open to an attack — something we weren't able to witness firsthand during a hands-on demo.

But the changes to backstabs appear to be a move from the developer to reduce players' reliance on backstabs, which are easy to execute, carry little risk and yield high damage in the first Dark Souls.

The differences between Dark Souls 2 and its predecessor appear to be less dramatic than that of the transition from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls. Players will be able to heal themselves in multiple ways in Dark Souls 2, through the returning Estus Flask and with "lifegems." Those healing items will come in standard lifegem and radiant lifegem and, based on the demo, seem to function like humanity in the original Dark Souls. They replenish hit points and can be used on-the-go for faster replenishment.

The Dark Souls 2 demo included a handful of other consumable items, including amber herbs and twilight herbs, though their functions remain mysterious.

The game also appears to feature the return of a Demon's Souls gameplay mechanic: Black Phantoms of run of the mill enemies — as opposed to named Black Phantoms, such as Maneater Mildred — can appear out of thin air. In one section of the demo, a trio of Black Phantoms materialized, tossing two dreglings and an armored tortoise knight at the player at once.

From Software isn't shying away from sending increasing numbers of enemies at players in Dark Souls 2. In one section, following a bonfire warp from the fortress to a castle interior, the game threw four horse-headed knights at us. Those knights, which at first appeared to be kneeling statues, sprang to life when my warrior got too close.

A goat skull-headed wizard in the distance lobbed magic missiles not far away, adding insult to injury. The knights, armed with pikes and a fierce kick, brutally assaulted my warrior, making short work of my character. It was only in a "god mode" demo that I was able to pass them, kill the wizard — less of a challenge at close range — and move onto the demo's boss fight.

(It turns out that those horse-headed statue knights can be dispatched much easier, simply by beheading them before they become animate. Pro tip.)

Fortunately, the pain of getting there was worth the wait, as Dark Souls 2 will include at least one boss battle that beautiful to behold and stunning in its design, but will likely be a maddening challenge.

The demo's final battle was against an imposing enemy known as the Mirror Knight. Outfitted with reflective, chrome-like full body armor, the Mirror Knight fights in what appears to be a rooftop arena — or at least some environment exposed to the elements, as a dramatic rainstorm soaks the scene. The Mirror Knight takes advantage of that inclement weather to attack you, channeling bolts of lightning at the player.

But the Mirror Knight's most impressive and deadly attack comes from his shield, an ornately decorated mirror. He'll slam it to the ground, upright, leaving himself vulnerable to attack. But as he does that, an image of a smaller knight will appear inside the reflection of the mirror shield. That secondary knight will pound on the interior side of the shield, shattering through and breaking free, leaving the player with a second foe to fight.

Mirror Knight can summon a second ally through his shield and in the case of our encounter with the boss, called forth another knight with a different weapon. It's not clear just how many knights Mirror Knight can spawn or if their weapons are randomized. It is crystal clear, however, that Mirror Knight will be an immense challenge, even by Dark Souls standards.

Dark Souls 2 is due to hit PlayStation 3, Windows PC and Xbox 360 in March 2014.

Screenshots:
click images to view full size

Lower Quality:

[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-11 22:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

E3 2013 - Dark Souls 2 First Take
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2013-06-11 23:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I love you Kalila
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-11 23:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

<3 :)
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2013-06-12 00:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Those graphics look insane, especially the Mirror Knight fight. Holy...
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2013-06-12 03:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Kali for putting all these news/screenies/vids together!
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-26 17:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

‘Dark Souls 2’ pre-order discounted on PS3 and Xbox 360
by Shui TaJune 15, 2013

An online retailer is currently offering a modest discount towards the pre-orders for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the upcoming multiplatform video game, “Dark Souls 2.” According to their page update on June 14, Amazon has slashed five percent off of the official manufacturer’s suggested retail price tag. Both products also qualify for free shipping.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-26 17:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Souls II directors differ on how to tell story
Conflicting statements on how the game's story will be told
by Jayson NapolitanoJune 17, 2013

After reading the Edge Online interview with Dark Souls II co-director Tomohiro Shibuya earlier this year, I was curious as to how the game's story would be told. He commented, "I’m hoping to make [story elements] a little bit more clear or directly expressed to the player as well – not just in the story, but messaging [...] it will be more straightforward and more understandable."

I was somewhat excited that Dark Souls II would feature a more fleshed out story and world lore as a result, but talking to co-director Yui Tanimura at E3 last week, he noted, "I don’t really have any intentions to change how the story is told. I think it’s an important part of the game for players to pick up certain pieces of information throughout the game; whether it be descriptions, items, whatever; and try to piece them together to try and create their own story. That methodology of storytelling, I think, is an important part of Dark Souls and I want to maintain it."

So, it seems there's a difference in personal preference among the producers. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I think I could be happy with the end result either way.

Is subtle better, as we've seen in past titles, or would you rather have things more spelled out?
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-06-26 17:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Opinion:
Demon’s Souls: The Best RPG I Have Ever Played

by Sean O'SullivanJune 22, 2013

After months of neglect, my copy of Demon’s Souls was left on my shelf gathering dust, but after watching the impressive Dark Souls 2 demo shown at E3 last week, I decided to give it another go. I last left the game battling a heavily armoured Black Phantom, one that kept destroying my armour and equipment. I was instantly reminded of my past failures so decided to mix up my strategy. So I just side stepped and stabbed him in the back a few times, it was that easy. After 15 attempts, one little change to my play style and I beat something that I thought I never will. That right there is Demon’s Souls in a nut shell.

Every encounter can kill you, every death can set you back over an hour of gameplay, but this time is not all lost. Every battle is a test, a study. Weak points are observed, rhythm and attack pattern noted. You are never at ease; you are always on the edge of your seat, your jaw clenched and shield raised, because around every corner, something is going to kill you.

Demon Soul’s is a hardcore RPG, it will test your patience, temper and will. It will crush your spirit time and time again, but it will always leave you hungry for more. The agonising defeats leave the rare victories all the sweeter. It is impossible to just sit still after defeating a boss; you will literally jump around the room and shout profanities at your TV. Well, that’s what I do anyway.

The way you play is entirely up to you. Use heavy armour and large weapons, attacking head on, moving slow but dealing heavy damage. Or use smaller weapons and light armour and move around your foe and attack it’s blind side. These styles are not set in stone, as your play style will switch up as you experiment and try to find the way you want to play.

Another high point of praise is the world around you. The story in Demon’s Souls isn’t forced on you, it isn’t even told to you. You are left to put the pieces together from the things you see and the people you encounter. The characters each have their own reason for being where they are, their own tale and you can decide to help or completely ignore them. Again, it is entirely up to you.

If When you are killed, you are resurrected in soul form. While in this form your health is limited. To resurrect you can defeat the nearest demon, use a Stone (if you can find one) or delve into the unique multiplayer. You can join up with other players and help them progress through the story and defeat demons to collect souls. Or you can invade another player’s world and attack them, resurrecting yourself if you are successful. While resurrected however you can be invaded, so again, you must always be ready.

If you missed the series when it first came out like I did, I highly encourage you to pick it up. It is without a doubt a must have for any RPG fan. Demon Soul’s is currently free with this months PlayStation Plus, and with Battlefield 3 and Payday: The Heist coming next month, now is the time to subscribe.

Right, I’m off to start Dark Souls.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 83 84 85 ... 224 225 226