Antea offhand - BLU
First Page 2 3
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-04-29 10:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Purely question, never bothered to learn because BLU never had an Occ. Attk. Twice weapon before; people are getting close and even finishing Antea, it seems to have a decent proc. rate, and I'm almost done the clusters aswell; when /NIN, there will be an aditional attack on weapon skills due to dual-wield, however is it possible that when OFF-handing Antea, that the Occ. Attk. 2x can proc?

Edit: Tried reading up on Dual-Wield but due to the poor state of my PC atm, I can't keep it running long enough to do much more research than basic Wiki browsing.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xyclo
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xyclo
By Quetzalcoatl.Xyclo 2010-04-29 10:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like to say no.
This is merely because the weapon is not granting you a specific Tripe or Double attack. Since you weaponskill with your main hand weapon, this occasionally attacks 2x will not proc if you are wielding the weapon off hand.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-29 10:51:47
Link | Quote | Reply

OAT does not proc on WS.
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-04-29 10:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lame. Thanks
 Cerberus.Ferth
Server: Cerberus
user: Ferth
By Cerberus.Ferth 2010-04-29 10:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xyclo said:
I would like to say no.
This is merely because the weapon is not granting you a specific Tripe or Double attack. Since you weaponskill with your main hand weapon, this occasionally attacks 2x will not proc if you are wielding the weapon off hand.

As nightfyre says, it doesn't matter what hand you had the antea in, you wouldn't get any procs on a weapon skill.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2010-04-29 15:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Only DA+ or TA+ gear can proc on WSs, mainhand or offhand. If it says "Occasionally" on the weapon, it will have 0 affect on WSs.

Who cares if it procs on WSs anyway? It's still the hands down best offhand weapon in the game for BLU on anything you can melee.
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-05-13 16:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys think the 23DMG antea would be a waste, rather than spending the time for the 40dmg?

I seriously doubt I can get the items for the 40DMG OAT, so going to work on the 23DMG. Just going to suck *** if update comes out and the 'weaker' form gets shite new aug's..
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-13 16:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Definitely not worth it. As it is the D40 Antea is a very small upgrade and potential sidegrade - the D23 version would definitely be a downgrade.
 Leviathan.Abriel
Server: Leviathan
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-13 16:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Superdan said:
You guys think the 23DMG antea would be a waste, rather than spending the time for the 40dmg?

I seriously doubt I can get the items for the 40DMG OAT, so going to work on the 23DMG. Just going to suck *** if update comes out and the 'weaker' form gets shite new aug's..

personally? yes, overall your DoT would decrease using this (the low dmg OAT sword) over another high dmg/low delay sword. your WS rate would increase by about 15% or so, but the damage dealt by the sword it's self would be laughable (and sword WSs are not blu's strongest point to begin with, lol).

low dmg antea's dps looks like it's 6.05 (this is just what's posted on the wiki page, I can't be bothered to really do the math atm to see if this is correct for a 40% proc. rate so if anyone can clarify, be my guest). that's not too hot of a number considering that you can get 10+ to nearly 12 dps swords pretty easily.
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-05-13 16:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I figured the DPS would be low on it, but I'm no mathlete to work this ***out. I was just thinking, as an offhand weapon it would be pretty useful (If theres no other OAT weapon I can access) for when TP building is needed. Such as keeping TP to open SC's in low man siuations, without actually decreasing your WS/Spell damage, as we all should know BLU don't tp very fast when you're casting spells often.
 Odin.Kalico
Server: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-05-13 17:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

***antea is swinging like a joytoy this is a must have for any serious Blu.....I can't wait to finish mine 8D
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2010-05-13 18:02:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Calling Antea a Small upgrade or sidegrade is kinda foolish. The advanced TP gain and the highest DPS of any sword BLU can use makes it a clear winner for anything you melee on.

Also, Sword WSs can be really powerful, and if SE really gives BLU DW as a native trait, sword WSs will become completely insane, thanks to all the 5-8 hit, can critical, Berserked (+Roared) Vorpals.
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-13 18:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

at 90+ /nin is still going to win because of DW3, unless it gets nerfed pretty heavily.

a 15% increase to tp gain (even less with brutal) at the cost of 20%+ dps isn't that great of a trade off for most situations (I can't really see where trading sword dps for tp gain would be a big enough benefit to justify such, but there's probably a few instances). this is of course talking about the low dmg antea, the high dmg antea is definitely one of the best off-hand swords available to blu atm.
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2010-05-13 19:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I would hope if they give a job a "native" (native meaning innate and not spell based) job trait it would be better than the *** sub-able tiers of the trait. Especially since they said they wanted BLU to have DW so there would be more subjobs opened up.

Also I think you mean 10% if you're talking about DA from WAR sub.
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-13 19:40:25
Link | Quote | Reply

if you read on I was talking about the low dmg antea. but yes, with every bit of double attack (or triple attack) you gain, multi-attack weapons become weaker (overall you're still gaining tp faster, but the increase from the weapon it's self drops).

for the most part no, I don't see SE giving blu dual wield nativly (if you have links to dev. interviews and such they'd be nice to look at). not because it would make blu unbalanced, but because we're talking about SE, lol. even getting dual wield nativly (at acceptable tiers) /nin is still going to be the preferred sub in many cases because of utsusemi, I say this mainly because our other defensive abilities are more so for distanced fighting rather than face-to-face combat (metallic body is very weak, even diamondhide compared to stoneskin, esp. for the cost. and, zephyr mantle acts like blink, it isn't guaranteed to block a hit and takes a decent amount of time to cast). of course there are benefits to other subs, but throwing survival out the window for many instances where blu can be an acceptable melee is a bad idea.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-13 19:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The lower damage Antea is certainly not worth it. Let's be real, BLU has weak WSs. If you have a stellar Vorpal Blade setup then it may be worth a shot, but I'd prefer swords that actually boost spells...
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-13 19:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Ninetales said:
The lower damage Antea is certainly not worth it. Let's be real, BLU has weak WSs. If you have a stellar Vorpal Blade setup then it may be worth a shot, but I'd prefer swords that actually boost spells...

that was pretty much my point, though noone seemed concerned about it enough to need to clarify, lol. on my best day my WSs and non-CA spells do roughly equal damage and my gear's no where near sub-par, lol.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-13 19:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I do some pimped vorpal blades. Keep up with the ok geared DDs weaponskills in my ein shell. Yeah even the 2hnds (except the well geared ones) do similar dmg to my vorpals lot of the time. Though I really need to gear for it more specifically since right now I just jam on lots of str really.
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-13 20:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

str+acc yeah, it'd be nice to push a crit build for vorp., but it's not quite too easy (think I'm pushing 107 dex on vorp from mostly set spells, a nice bit is from gear too but that's because it also has str +/- acc, lol. even so, it'll be hard to hit acceptable crit. rates on most enemies).

when you say 'pimped' what range are you talking about, lol. I average in the mid-600s with lows and highs of high-400s and mid-1100s, sadly I haven't gotten the chance to play around on blu with multiple outside atk buffs (average at 430 atk after food, but before outside buffs) =/

how nice would it be if your atk effected your spell dmg instead of some odd pDif function? lol, eps when atk down debuffs effect spell pDif as well...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-13 20:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Brain said:
Calling Antea a Small upgrade or sidegrade is kinda foolish. The advanced TP gain and the highest DPS of any sword BLU can use makes it a clear winner for anything you melee on.

Also, Sword WSs can be really powerful, and if SE really gives BLU DW as a native trait, sword WSs will become completely insane, thanks to all the 5-8 hit, can critical, Berserked ( Roared) Vorpals.
High delay and no stats benefitting spells whatsoever severely depreciates the value of the weapon. It's generally an upgrade, but not nearly on the level of, say, the OAT polearm or scythe.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-13 20:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda depends since the type of mob varies widely *** does the debuffs on it and my buffs. Like I never get DD buffs and I rarely use Triumphant roar and always use shushi and am an int meritted taru. My dmg is about the same as that in ein a little higher if I have roar up or have def downed the mob. And obviously some mobs I'll average more like 800ish.

By pimped I mean staying within say 75% dmg of the hard hitting DDs ws dmg. So like if I see say a 800 dmg Drakesbane on that mob I think it's pretty pimp to do a 600 dmg vorpal blade. Which really I mean there weapon has double the dmg of mine they get more att from str probably have a DD sub (im /nin of course) and are getting brd songs.
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-13 20:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

have you ever considered using a pizza build on blu? your over all spell damage drops minimally and you get a very decent boost to melee dmg (roughly ~15% before outside buffs, depending on acc rate). acc shouldn't be an issue with such a build for most events you'd use blu/nin at too, but you do need some rather expensive/tough to get or specific gear options (took me 7 erlking's blades to get one with +5 dmg and +6 acc <.>).
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-13 20:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I've NPC'd one of my Erlking's Blades already and I'm about to NPC the other one, too, depending on--almost finished with a DEX+4/Acc+8 Soulsaber =\
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-13 20:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I have thought about it. Not really sure how much acc I need in my ws set. Currently I use perdu and koggles anyways. Might help if I finish merriting swd lol. Also I'm kinda looking into using the haste neck and 6 haste head tping so not sure how things would be then
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-13 20:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

definitely a better option, but hell, I do not want to go through all of that, lol (working on the high dmg OAT scythe and GS atm, but doubt I'll get the mats needed before hopping on to xiv, lol).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-13 20:38:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Also I'm the only blu in ein and they mostly likely because I can do that much dmg while stunning everything alot. Doubt I'd still have the acc on the bosses with pizza but maybe. Plus I don't actually get to melee much alot. Since I often have 2 sources of outside refresh and crowd control and debuffing lol.

Now for the few other things I still use blu for sure
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-13 20:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

that's a good amount of acc to lose for the 2% haste gain, generally it won't be worth it to tp in unless you're getting haste and SV marches I think. they would be nice for shortening recast for certain spells though (only one that really comes to mind atm is utsusemi, lol).

the pizza build mostly shows it's worth in longer events where you want to throttle your mp use (I like to have ~300 pool open incase I have to start spamming fruit for some reason, lol). for shorter events where you can expect to run through your mp pool as it ends (or 'till you can recover mp) retooling your set to benefit spells the most with sushi is probably the better (certainly is easier) choice.

anwig salade set up for max acc during WSs helps a lot for getting the most out of vorp on blu, but if this option isn't open there's still other decent options.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-13 20:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Tiercel Necklace in my general TP set, but I can't afford to drop 10 more accuracy via Acuben's Helm. I'd be down to ~389 accuracy with pizza.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-13 20:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Well yeah it's just that currently with sushi I can lose the acc. Currently I use chiv for neck because I don't really need the acc usually so it's really there for the str and store tp. Haven't really done the math with pizza but I kinda doubt I still will especially without full swd merits
 Leviathan.Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-05-13 21:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

ya ever play blu as crowd control in dynamis-xarc? lol, now that ***gets fun. most the big pulls make ya ***your pants when all the mobs finally get slept an' you're left with under 10% hp XD. it's funny, but blu sleeps are rarely resisted with a decent build there too (unlike most other jobs that need pimped builds to sleep the T2 demons, lol).
First Page 2 3