Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Blue Mage Solo Skillchain Set
Blue Mage Solo Skillchain Set
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2023-11-21 06:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

There are only a few traits NOT affected by the Blue Job Trait Bonus Gifts at 100 JP and 1200 JP>

The traits that are NOT affected are:
Gilfinder/Treasure Hunter
Double Attack /Triple Attack
Auto-Refresh

I wonder about Auto-Regen, I expect not, but not sure atm.

All other traits will get boosted by this gift.
So even if you set only dual wield level 1 trait, it will become a level 3 Trait.

Level 3 is exactly the level of DW you have if you have ninja support job.

I don't know of any situation where I think its worth the trade off to spend more points to set dual wield to a higher tier.
There are just so many good spells and traits, and it so easy to fill in the rest of the gap with good equipment, that I wouldn't set it higher.

Blue mage has erratic flutter for 30% magical haste and Mighty Guard to fill up the rest of the magical haste. It can be kept up 8m 49s out of every 10 minutes. Even without trusts, blue mage can keep capped magical haste the great majority of the time. This is way better than adding more dual wield.

If you took dual wield up to level 5 (35%) from spells, you end up adding at least 3x more spells or 7 more set points for this, but mostly likely more. But this way you don't need ANY dual wield from gear. You will be missing out on other traits, such as store tp, triple attack, accuracy bonus, crit damage bonus, attack bonus or skillchain bonus.. but pick which is more valuable at the time.
 Ragnarok.Creaucent
Server: Ragnarok
user: Creaucent
By Ragnarok.Creaucent 2023-11-21 06:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Oraine said: »
No i was incorrect. im SU 4.
i educated myself. I'm a little confused about the DW trait for blue mage though. according to ffxiwiki;

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Dual_Wield

Adds a rank of Dual Wield.

Level Available Spell Set Point Cost
99 Molting Plumage 6
Set any two of the following Blue Magic spells to grant you Dual Wield I, attain Dual Wield II by setting four, or gain Dual Wield III by setting all six.

79 Animating Wail 5
80 Blazing Bound 3
85 Quad. Continuum 4
89 Delta Thrust 2
91 Mortal Ray 4
99 Barbed Crescent 2

so i was told you couldnt get refresh 2 through traits becuase blut traits didnt workt that way. idk whose right my friend or ffxiwiki.

I just added all the blue mage dual wield spells to my arsenal, and my traits dont show dual wield 2 or 3. is this an invisible trait?

If you are SU4 you will have the 2 job trait bonus gifts which increases your traits level by 1 each. So if you set Barbed Crescent and Delta Thrust you will have DW3 instead of DW1. The only traits that the job trait bonus doesn't effect is Gilfinder, DA and Auto Refresh.

So with XI and the traits it doesn't show you the increase in level for traits its just that you are hitting faster in this case.

Lastly if you have capped gear haste (25%) and magical haste (43.75%) you need +11 DW in gear.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Dual_Wield

At the bottom of that page is a handy cheat sheet to show you how much DW you need.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2023-11-21 07:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

No i was incorrect. im SU 4.
i educated myself. I'm a little confused about the DW trait for blue mage though. according to ffxiwiki;

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Dual_Wield

Adds a rank of Dual Wield.

99 Molting Plumage 6
Set any two of the following Blue Magic spells to grant you Dual Wield I, attain Dual Wield II by setting four, or gain Dual Wield III by setting all six.

79 Animating Wail 5
80 Blazing Bound 3
85 Quad. Continuum 4
89 Delta Thrust 2
91 Mortal Ray 4
99 Barbed Crescent 2

so i was told you couldnt get refresh 2 through traits becuase blut traits didnt workt that way. idk whose right my friend or ffxiwiki.

I just added all the blue mage dual wield spells to my arsenal, and my traits dont show dual wield 2 or 3. is this an invisible trait?

trait ranks are never displayed in the Abilities > Job Traits menu. the only reason we know what we know is from the little bits of info SE deemed to give us, and otherwise extensive testing by the player base.
 Shiva.Cerderic
Server: Shiva
user: Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-11-21 09:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Think of each of these as 1 tier of dual wield:
Barbed Crescent & Delta Thrust = 1
Molting Plumage = 1
100 JP Gift = 1
1200 JP Gift = 1

Dual wield in gear required to cap:
DWI = 26
DWII = 21
DWIII = 11
DWIV = 6

You can't remove job gifts, so with Barbed Crescent + Delta Thrust OR Molting Plumage you only need 21 in gear and with all three spells set you need 11 in gear.

When you unlock the 1200 JP Gift, this changes to 11 and 6 respectively.

I'd recommend immediately changing your ambuscade cape from dual wield to either double attack (or if you have tizona, store TP). Going over the dual wield cap will lower your TP gain. Being under or over by 1 or 2 won't matter much, but being over by 11 or more per what you've listed on your gear is definitely too much.

Set 1 tier DW in spells, Adhemar Jacket +1, Reiki Yotai, DW+10 cape = good temporary fix. swap out those earring.

If you change the cape prior to getting 1200 JP, you can set Molting Plumage or equip 1 of those earring to make up the difference.

At 1200 JP you can either set 1 tier with spells & use only jacket and yotai OR set 2 tier with spells and only use the yotai.

If accuracy/survivability is more of a concern, for any of the above options, drop the jacket for malignance and add one of the earrings in.
[+]
 Asura.Oraine
Server: Asura
user: crazy00
By Asura.Oraine 2023-11-21 16:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

alright well after reading through all the attack stuff and farming for a few days, ive managed to create my self skillchain set. Its actually overkill lol. Can't wait to see how it goes once im 5/5 on Malignance set.

Blue Traits: Triple Attack, Dual Wield 6, Store TP.

Equipment:
main="Naegling",
sub="Bunzi's Rod",
ammo="Aurgelmir Orb",
head="Malignance Chapeau",
body={ name="Adhemar Jacket +1", augments={'DEX+12','AGI+12','Accuracy+20',}},
hands="Malignance Gloves",
legs="Malignance Tights",
feet="Malignance Boots",
neck={ name="Mirage Stole +2", augments={'Path: A',}},
waist="Reiki Yotai",
left_ear="Brutal Earring",
right_ear="Telos Earring",
left_ring="Chirich Ring +1",
right_ring="Chirich Ring +1",
back={ name="Rosmerta's Cape", augments={'STR+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','STR+1','Weapon skill damage +10%',}},
By Nariont 2023-11-21 16:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Dual Wield 6

Why though
 Asura.Oraine
By Asura.Oraine 2023-11-22 01:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
Dual Wield 6

Why though
because now im soloing worms for JP a hell of a lot faster than i was before.
 Asura.Oraine
By Asura.Oraine 2023-11-22 01:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Cerderic said: »
Think of each of these as 1 tier of dual wield:
Barbed Crescent & Delta Thrust = 1
Molting Plumage = 1
100 JP Gift = 1
1200 JP Gift = 1

Dual wield in gear required to cap:
DWI = 26
DWII = 21
DWIII = 11
DWIV = 6

You can't remove job gifts, so with Barbed Crescent + Delta Thrust OR Molting Plumage you only need 21 in gear and with all three spells set you need 11 in gear.

When you unlock the 1200 JP Gift, this changes to 11 and 6 respectively.

I'd recommend immediately changing your ambuscade cape from dual wield to either double attack (or if you have tizona, store TP). Going over the dual wield cap will lower your TP gain. Being under or over by 1 or 2 won't matter much, but being over by 11 or more per what you've listed on your gear is definitely too much.

Set 1 tier DW in spells, Adhemar Jacket +1, Reiki Yotai, DW+10 cape = good temporary fix. swap out those earring.

If you change the cape prior to getting 1200 JP, you can set Molting Plumage or equip 1 of those earring to make up the difference.

At 1200 JP you can either set 1 tier with spells & use only jacket and yotai OR set 2 tier with spells and only use the yotai.

If accuracy/survivability is more of a concern, for any of the above options, drop the jacket for malignance and add one of the earrings in.

thats why im aiming for VI, so i dont have to wear that belt and i can equip my triple/quad attack belt there instead. Windbuffet Belt +1
By Nariont 2023-11-22 04:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Except now your overcapped. Did you not see the sheet at the bottom of the dw page? Dw6 requires 0 dw in gear, you have 13, so you are now loweering your tp for nothing, 6 if you take off the belt.
[+]
 Asura.Chendar
user: chendar
By Asura.Chendar 2023-11-22 05:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

DW6(40%) requires -4% DW in gear if magic/gear haste is capped actually, so even more overcapped.

EDIT: -4% as in negative 4%, just my silly way of saying already 4% overcapped.
By Nariont 2023-11-22 05:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Dual_Wield

Is showing 0 at capped haste

Oh i missed the - there i guess
 Shiva.Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-11-22 08:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting strategy Cotton. Any and all Blue Magic Points I can avail myself are almost always better than swapping in a belt or a body piece that that also has other great stats on it. I can could maybe see the value in the argument if it were as simple as, "I can choose Attack Bonus IV (13 atk) or equip my telos earring instead of suppano." Ok, that's fair, but there are other times that you need every single slot for spells and traits that can't be replaced by swapping a belt or earring. I like to min-max as much, if not more, than the next guy. But I'm not making a different TP set for each situation I need Occultation & Magic Fruit instead of Dual Wield lol6.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-22 08:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

alright well after reading through all the attack stuff and farming for a few days, ive managed to create my self skillchain set. Its actually overkill lol. Can't wait to see how it goes once im 5/5 on Malignance set.

Blue Traits: Triple Attack, Dual Wield 6, Store TP.

Equipment:
main="Naegling",
sub="Bunzi's Rod",
ammo="Aurgelmir Orb",
head="Malignance Chapeau",
body={ name="Adhemar Jacket +1", augments={'DEX+12','AGI+12','Accuracy+20',}},
hands="Malignance Gloves",
legs="Malignance Tights",
feet="Malignance Boots",
neck={ name="Mirage Stole +2", augments={'Path: A',}},
waist="Reiki Yotai",
left_ear="Brutal Earring",
right_ear="Telos Earring",
left_ring="Chirich Ring +1",
right_ring="Chirich Ring +1",
back={ name="Rosmerta's Cape", augments={'STR+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','STR+1','Weapon skill damage +10%',}},

Holy ***this is so bad, why are you doing this? Did you read any of the guidance anybody posted? He said for DW IV you need 6 in gear, and somehow you took that as DW VI + 6 in gear? That means you have 10 DW more than you should, even with the Windbuffet belt on. Also consider that Reiki Yotai has STP on it, so even if you weren't over the DW cap, you'd be barely upgrading your TP set at all, while costing yourself 18 more blue magic points for it.

You also have a WSD cape (with 29 missing STR) in your TP set?
[+]
 Shiva.Cerderic
By Shiva.Cerderic 2023-11-22 09:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Holy ***this is so bad, why are you doing this? Did you read any of the guidance anybody posted? He said for DW IV you need 6 in gear, and somehow you took that as DW VI + 6 in gear? That means you have 10 DW more than you should, even with the Windbuffet belt on. Also consider that Reiki Yotai has STP on it, so even if you weren't over the DW cap, you'd be barely upgrading your TP set at all, while costing yourself 18 more blue magic points for it.

You also have a WSD cape (with 29 missing STR) in your TP set?
Now if he gets a fully merited Haste Samba, maybe he'll actually lose TP when he attacks.
[+]
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2023-11-23 06:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I gave up...
You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink
[+]