http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/topics/ffxiv/
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-11-29 11:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Imagine trying to compare the abortion that was XIV 1.0's small install base to current year XIV's titanic install base in terms of potential crossover benefits too,like holy moly. We've got the founder of the next Goldman Sachs right here in this thread. Economic genius.
[+]
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2023-11-29 11:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it does seem unfair to use any comparison to the "success" of a bundle when XIV at the time the bundle existed was a train wreck and on top of that I am sure many like myself got a "you play ffxi here have beta ffxiv access" which gave probably the worst overall view of the game that I still think largely is why XI diehards have a hate *** for XIV... we saw it at it's absolute worst XD Like watching someone kick a kitten you never really forgive them for that.

That said I don't think Nynja ever eluded to its profitability just how it worked or that it it was a "failure" in it's own right (he can correct me if I am worng and he did mean that)
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-11-29 11:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to mention, if you read the page that Nynja linked, the deadline for the discount was planned before it even began. It wasn't ended because of a failure of performance, it was always intended to be promotional at that time.

Also I was referring to Maletaru not Nynja. I'm pretty sure Nynja and I are on the same page here.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-29 11:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
That said I don't think Nynja ever eluded to its profitability just how it worked or that it it was a "failure" in it's own right (he can correct me if I am worng and he did mean that)
You mean Maletaru?

the worst overall view of the game that I still think largely is why XI diehards have a hate *** for XIV... we saw it at it's absolute worst XD
This is 110% me. I tried it out when it released (I needed something to do while I was botting my 2000 WS kills for relic trial), and holy *** was it bad.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2023-11-29 11:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
You mean Maletaru?
IDK probably? :D
By Afania 2023-11-29 11:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this is the discount? It looks like it was from 2012.

(Edit: Someone beat me with the link...)

Personally, as someone who doesn't have tons of free time for mmo, I don't play 2 mmo with sub at once. It is a waste of money to pay monthly fee for 2 games if I only have 1hr of free time for games per day.

Therefore if I want to play ff14, I would cancel ff11 sub and vice versa.

Discount doesn't change my decision. Even if ff11 sub price drop to $1 it is still $1 wasted if I don't have time for it.

The kind of consumer that SE can get with bundled discount isn't someone like me, who will never play 2 mmo at once, nor someone like Proth, who pays for 2 subs regardless the price.

I believe ff14 player who wants to play ffxi bad enough will pay without discount anyways, there are many ffxiv players new to ff11 without discount on Reddit.

(Edit2: as for people who know nothing about ff11 and need a bit of push, ff11 has free trial for them too. Even better than $7 monthly fee.)

So this bundle discount strategy probably only works on "uhmmmm I kinda want to go back and *** around in ffxi if the price drop, but not really....." people.

The real question is, how many people are like that. And more importantly, how long will these not-so-serious player stay? If they stay do they stay for long enough to outweigh the money loss from die hard fans that keep 2 subs active forever?

I am more inclined to believe that if this discount was offered in the past but not anymore, then they probably have at least some data to support the current pricing decision.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-29 11:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Run the bundle for 6 months and find out?
 Fenrir.Ixn
user: unknown
By Fenrir.Ixn 2023-11-29 11:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

That bundle only ran for 3 months.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-29 11:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

technicallllly it ran for 6, but was only valid for 3 months of billing.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-29 12:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

When I made my original post I was responding to "re-add FFXI subs into a bundle" which sounds to me like "give FFXI subs to people who subscribe to FFXIV". After it was made clear that "adding to a bundle" means "give a discount if you buy both" I changed my position to "sure, it's profitable, but if we're saying FFXI subs/profits are so minimal they're not worth a line on the balance sheet, why would it be worth the time to do this?"

In neither case did I proclaim to be a historian of SE Account management systems or every discount or promotion they've ever run. I'm not going to research the history of FFXIV or the sub counts when they ran the thing, I don't care.

If the crossover was only run in 2010 for 3 months and opt-in only and required action on the player's part, even worse, that means it's not something they can just turn back on and will require fresh coding, including all the scenarios I outlined earlier, plus new questions/customer support related to all the billing crap.

It might actually be a loss if you consider analysis, development, customer service, management, and infrastructure costs compared to the increased subs; maybe it will make a tiny profit, but my point still remains: if FFXI subs are such a tiny part of their profit model, what makes you think increasing those by double, triple, or adding a half a percentage to their FFXIV subs will be an effort they should focus their staff on?

I'd love it if they did this and more FFXIV players came over. That doesn't mean it makes good business sense and is a good use of their salary hours.
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-11-29 12:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If only he took literally 20 seconds to google "ffxi ffxiv bundle"

Ngl, if they made it so you can only wear the shoes with both subs in ffxiv ppl would 100% pay for XI sub.

Speed runners would use the shoes when a new expansion drops lol.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-11-29 12:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

They add items and functionality to the mog station on a near weekly basis. They've got people working on that ***full time already.

Ultimately I'd love to see something like merging the Mog Station and SE Account Management system so that I don't have to log in to 2 separate sites to manage both subscriptions, but that will probably never happen.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-29 12:29:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
They add items and functionality to the mog station on a near weekly basis. They've got people working on that ***full time already.

Exactly, and in business you have to decide which is more valuable: adding a new item to FFXIV which 10,000 people will buy over the next 3 years for $15/ea which takes 10 seconds to develop, or creating this bundle deal to increase FFXI subs. They have a finite number of developers and making them work on this plan would stop them from working on other functionality which (according to SE) add more value than a bundle deal.

Or maybe nobody at SE has ever bundled anything before and forgot about the previous genius idea which would take 5 seconds to implement and instantly make both games much more profitable, IDK, neither of us works for SE.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-11-29 12:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on the number of people who buy cash shop items (easily tracked and included in most of Lucky Bancho's census scrapes), majority of people are buying the $7 items to begin with. If the fact that it isn't an entirely new game to try isn't enough for people (which, when you're casting a net that *** big, it probably is) add an 11 style glamours piece for first time subscribers. Congratulations, best of both worlds achieved.

This is of course ignoring the absurdity that is saying the people making cash shop items and the people working on the backend of the mog station are the same people, but I digress.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-29 12:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

This is of course ignoring the absurdity that is saying the people making cash shop items and the people working on the backend of the mog station are the same people, but I digress.

I agree, absurd.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-11-29 12:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Adding items and making ("developing") them are two different things. You're implying that it's a gargantuan task to add an item to the mog station to the point that their fragile developers would need to choose between the two. In reality, there's likely no reason they couldn't do both. Making the cash shop item is what takes time and money, adding it is not. Whoever is working on the mog station isn't spending their hours of a work day toiling to add a red chocobo to the cash shop.
Server: Asura
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-11-29 12:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we get back to shitting on Horizon please?
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-11-29 12:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »
Only when the next Horizonite plea deal is made.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-29 13:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you seen the video "Two girls, one Horizon"?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2023-11-29 14:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, sometimes browsing the forums and feeding the trolls is like strolling thru the park and feeding pigeons.
[+]
 Asura.Xysto
By Asura.Xysto 2023-11-29 16:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Kipling said: »
I understand this is a joke topic and my response is worthless in reality, but myself and other server admins pay for the costs out of our own pockets. I typically chip in 500 bucks every couple months personally. Because enough of us do it we maintain the costs. Horizon collects no money and we don't even have advertising enabled on any our platforms - this is purely a money draining hobby for the sake of it.

So was Ninja lying when he said "I actually took care of the entire server this year, personally"?
I mean, of course... he was full lvl 75 with woodworking 100 within only 2 weeks of server startup. Me and tons of people witnessed that.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-29 17:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Adding items and making ("developing") them are two different things. You're implying that it's a gargantuan task to add an item to the mog station to the point that their fragile developers would need to choose between the two. In reality, there's likely no reason they couldn't do both. Making the cash shop item is what takes time and money, adding it is not. Whoever is working on the mog station isn't spending their hours of a work day toiling to add a red chocobo to the cash shop.

Yo man, it's a ton of work to add a row in a database table, appreciate the hard work behind that dbmod.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-11-30 03:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder what SE thinks of the private servers appearing on Twitch as 'FFXI' instead of retail (seriously asking).
By Nariont 2023-11-30 05:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless xi gets more popular/generates more revenue than xiv, theyre unlikely to care unless the ps goes out of their way to call themselves an official ffxi server
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-11-30 09:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you seen the video "Two girls, one Horizon"?

[+]
By Setsuko 2023-11-30 10:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if anyone needed more evidence of staff corruption, you've got a head GM who shares players tickets with her friends and laughs about it.

Tldr if you're friends with staff you can get away with even racism but once you piss off the head GM she will ban you.

I dont know how much more evidence players need at this point that Horizon is ran by horrible people. I do recommend trying a private server if you're ever wanting to scratch that nostalgia itch, but don't bother with this server. Don't support staff that bend the rules for themselves, manipulate players, and go out of their way to put people down.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2023-11-30 11:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh so it wasn’t Rinste using homophobic and racist slurs in open chat and calling people Ns and Fs /tells? Weird… so weird
By Setsuko 2023-11-30 11:23:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Glaciont said: »
Oh so it wasn’t Rinste using homophobic and racist slurs in open chat and calling people Ns and Fs /tells? Weird… so weird

He did do this but the point was he did it for months without getting in trouble. It wasn't until he pissed off the head GM that he actually got banned. Prior to, you can see she was sending him gm tickets about him and laughing about it.
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Server: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2023-11-30 11:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It’s honestly funny he’s trying to claim being a victim and unjustly banned. And now will reveal “the tea”. He was getting perma’D for a being all of racist/homophobic/harassing ***.

If that is actually Violet, then yea, there should be consequences. But his response to the ticket honest speaks volumes.
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24