Random Politics & Religion #30

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #30
Random Politics & Religion #30
First Page 2 3 ... 50 51 52 ... 65 66 67
By clearlyamule 2017-12-19 11:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
How it works out here.

A public utility district provides our electricity. It owns the power lines, the poles, and the right of way. All it needed was permission to run fiber and it lobbied hard for that.

They figured they could make money from the use of the fiber and save money with remote meter reading.

Any electric company could do the same. But they don't. Being a cynic I claim they are waiting until they can get a government subsidy, but I really have no idea.

In the meantime, Seattle, which has a city owned public power provider Seattle City Light, has hired Google to fiberize the city....

/headdesk
Might work differently in different areas but here it's usually stated that somehow Comcast has a bit of say on right away to use them and even owns some. They of course deny any competition so anyone that wants to come in has to use existing lines or the more expensive route of burying cable. At one time Google expressed some interest but dropped it for costs. A local company has been working on it but given the costs and the construction it's been slow going and obviously starting in areas with businesses that really have the need and willingness to pay for dat fiber speed
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-19 11:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
How it works out here.

A public utility district provides our electricity. It owns the power lines, the poles, and the right of way. All it needed was permission to run fiber and it lobbied hard for that.

They figured they could make money from the use of the fiber and save money with remote meter reading.

Any electric company could do the same. But they don't. Being a cynic I claim they are waiting until they can get a government subsidy, but I really have no idea.

In the meantime, Seattle, which has a city owned public power provider Seattle City Light, has hired Google to fiberize the city....

/headdesk
Might work differently in different areas but here it's usually stated that somehow Comcast has a bit of say on right away to use them and even owns some. They of course deny any competition so anyone that wants to come in has to use existing lines or the more expensive route of burying cable. At one time Google expressed some interest but dropped it for costs. A local company has been working on it but given the costs and the construction it's been slow going and obviously starting in areas with businesses that really have the need and willingness to pay for dat fiber speed

There won't be fiber till more companies and people demand it. The companies are fine with using cable cause it is a lot cheaper.
By Zerowone 2017-12-19 11:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
By clearlyamule 2017-12-19 11:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
There won't be fiber till more companies and people demand it. The companies are fine with using cable cause it is a lot cheaper.
Well a lot of people do demand it and have since the 90s. Problem is something like 60-80% of laying fiber is the public works/construction so companies with any existing network would rally rather not and new companies that have to do that work anyways have to do so at speeds which they are financially able to. Of course if we started dark fibre more...
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2017-12-19 12:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

How it works out here.

/headdesk

It's because the power company isn't really the power company. You have Generation and Transmission, then you have Distribution companies. The vast majority are actually Distribution utilities that power buyer from Generation and Transmission companies. The Distribution utilities are usually cooperatives / municipal utilities who own the power poles and electrical lines while permitting the cable and phone companies to put wires up there. There is usually some sort of state or county ordinate stating only one of each utility can put wires on a pole and further restricting who can add to that pole. The way those laws and ordinances are written has a huge impact on how easily it is, and how many palms need greasing, for anyone to move in. Now compound this with the fact they'll have to be working with multiple municipalities and counties, along with the required buckets of palm grease and most companies just nope out. It's just not financially viable to go through the hurdles to get a new ISP setup, not without heavy state or federal support.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-12-19 13:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Seattle City Light, like my PUD, is fully vertically integrated owning everything from the dams to the wires to the right of way.

I am fairly sure that some power producers are as well. NY's Con Edison is and I would bet Florida Power and Light is too.

If most of the country is as you describe, Saevel, I can see why its such a mess.
By fonewear 2017-12-19 13:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Saevel is right getting local municipalities to dig up anything is a bureaucratic nightmare. The amount of red tape you have to go through just to dig a hole is mind boggling.
By Nausi 2017-12-19 13:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Tax cuts have passed the house.

Wondering if there actually are people on this site that:

A) dont want to keep more of their money.
B) dont want theor loved ones to keep more of their money.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-12-19 13:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

is this a robbery....
By fonewear 2017-12-19 13:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
is this a robbery....

Drop your *** and grab your socks this is a robbery !
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-19 13:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-12-19 13:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If most of the country is as you describe, Saevel, I can see why its such a mess.

I work with a financial entity that represents something like 90% of the utility companies in the USA, yes they are all like that.

It has to do with the costs associated with power delivery in non-urban area's. Urbanized locations can enjoy somewhere around 75,000 ~ 100,000 USD gross per mile of utility while rural area's only get 15,000 ~ 25,000 USD per mile. That's not actual revenue, just the valuation of it. This results in all the private entities only bothering with the urban area's while the rural area's must sort to forming cooperative municipalities in order to cover the costs of power distribution. Those cooperatives then take out millions of USD in long term loans (think 40+ year) from very special non-profit financial entities to cover the costs of running and maintaining the infrastructure.

If people haven't figured it out yet, the USA is mostly rural area's with a handful of big urban cities thinking they represent everyone.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-12-19 13:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Saevel is right getting local municipalities to dig up anything is a bureaucratic nightmare. The amount of red tape you have to go through just to dig a hole is mind boggling.
Heck doing anything is a nightmare. It can take years to get all the right building permits to build above ground on your own property especially in California.

To give you another idea of how red tape can slow even simple things down one of my coworkers ran thru a power line. It was resting on the truck wires draped around it blocking the highway. Emergency response and various workers and such got there almost immediately. No work was started for over 8 hours it took PG&E, Comcast and AT&T to figure out who owned it and had what level of control over it and then what permission to get to start work. I think Caltrans actually got into it too since it was blocking the only highway/freeway that direction for a decent ways.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-19 13:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

But Saevel's point about rural areas is on point. A lot people don't understand that millions of people don't have access to cable internet. Because they live in the middle of no where. The infrastructure in small towns and country places is terrible. Hell some have to even get satellite internet as a decent option. I understand the challenge of getting high speed internet to rural areas. But maybe if they invested some of the money and had help from the government they could do it.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-12-19 14:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand the challenge of getting high speed internet to rural areas. But maybe if they invested some of the money and had help from the government they could do it.

They are too white and therefor too privileged for the left to give a ***. Instead the left only cares about the inner city blacks, hispanics and soon south west asians.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-19 14:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm too privileged to realize how privileged I am !
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-12-19 14:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
the left only cares about the inner city.

it makes canvasing a hell of a lot easier...

and until last year the sticks never kicked their *** in before.
By fonewear 2017-12-19 14:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we should build a wall around the inner cities keep there dumb *** away from me.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-19 14:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

their *
By fonewear 2017-12-19 14:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

*** the English language and the many variations of there damn it !
By fonewear 2017-12-19 14:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

We will drop food rations and malt liquor every two weeks to keep the inner city satisfied. Until then we can keep them walled away form the normies.
By clearlyamule 2017-12-19 14:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Until then we can keep them walled away form the normies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcxal9VAFww[/youtube]
By clearlyamule 2017-12-19 14:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh stupid embed fail

[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-19 14:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
Oh stupid embed fail

Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-12-19 14:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

We laugh but Zero, Sparth and several others have made the exact same claim. That all white people enjoy unearned privilege and their inherent whiteness prevents them from knowing it. It's ludicrous and right up there with "cultural appropriation" in it's insanity.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2017-12-19 15:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sparth

holy ***, that's some fine grudge-holding there, that dude hasn't posted here in years.
By Nausi 2017-12-19 16:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

We laugh but Zero, Sparth and several others have made the exact same claim. That all white people enjoy unearned privilege and their inherent whiteness prevents them from knowing it. It's ludicrous and right up there with "cultural appropriation" in it's insanity.
They've somehow been tricked into accepting their own inferiority among the multicultural group.

My personal opinion is that many of those who participate in that line of thinking are drowning in intense feelings of self loathing.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-12-19 16:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

GOP rep: FBI, DOJ will be subpoenaed over Clinton, Trump investigations
The Hill

Quote:
The House Judiciary Committee will issue subpoenas for testimony from key figures at the FBI and the Department of Justice (DOJ) that were involved with the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s email server and other election-year controversies, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) said Tuesday.

Speaking on Fox Business Network, Jordan, a member of the Judiciary Committee, said Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) was readying subpoenas for four individuals at the agencies that Republicans have accused of bias against President Trump: FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, DOJ official Bruce Ohr and FBI agents Peter Strzok and Lisa Page.

“The chairman of the Judiciary Committee is going to subpoena Lisa Page,” Jordan said. “He’s going to subpoena Bruce Ohr and he’s going to subpoena Peter Strzok and we’re also going to get eventually to Andrew McCabe, as well. We need those people to come in, to be deposed and to put those people on the same stand that [Attorney General Jeff] Sessions and [Deputy Attorney General Rod] Rosenstein sat on in the past few weeks.”...
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-12-19 16:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

White House to 'temporarily' shut petition website
BBC

Quote:
The White House has said it will be shutting down its website for petitions from midnight on Tuesday until a new one is set up in late January.

The "We The People" site was set up by the Obama administration in 2011.

It promised a response to all petitions drawing more than 100,000 signatures but the Trump administration has not responded to any since January.

The White House said its new platform would save taxpayers more than $1m (£746,500) a year.

The total budget of the White House for 2018 is $55m and its information technology budget for the year is $4.94m.

A White House official told the Associated Press news agency that the administration would "respond to public concerns next year" and that all existing petitions would be reinstated then.

The petition platform was set up under Barack Obama in 2011 as part of his digital democracy initiative.

At the time, the White House said that the platform would "give all Americans a way to create and sign petitions on a range of issues affecting our nation".

If a petition receives more than 100,000 signatures within a 30-day period, the White House is supposed to issue an official response to it.

Since January, popular petitions that have drawn the required number of signatures include one that calls for President Trump's resignation and another that demands he release his tax returns.

However, since the start of the Trump administration, all of the petitions that have met this threshold have gone unanswered.

The site has been successful at highlighting issues affecting under-represented groups in particular.

In 2015, in response to the petition posted on the site after the death of a transgender teenager, President Obama called for an end to "conversion therapy" for gay and transgender teens.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-12-19 16:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Sparth

holy ***, that's some fine grudge-holding there, that dude hasn't posted here in years.

I blocked him ages ago cause he was a racist SJW, no idea if he's still posting or not.
First Page 2 3 ... 50 51 52 ... 65 66 67