Supreme Court OKs Taking DNA From Arrestees

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Supreme Court OKs Taking DNA From Arrestees
Supreme Court OKs Taking DNA From Arrestees
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2013-06-04 10:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
volkom said: »
Be wrongly convicted but if you actually are innocent then should be fine

My right to privacy is still breached.

It's still saying "well, we're keeping your DNA on record, because you could still be a criminal in the future". I don't see why this is okay.

How is having your DNA on file that heinous a crime anyways? Or are you paranoid somebody will like falsely reconstruct it in a blood sample and frame you for a crime or something?

No, I just think it's the fundamental statement:

"We don't actually care if you're innocent or guilty, we want your unique marker in case you decide to become a criminal."

It's insulting. It's the epitome of "We're just waiting for you to be a criminal". It's presuming I will do something wrong.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-04 10:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

My right to privacy is still breached.

It's still saying "well, we're keeping your DNA on record, because you could still be a criminal in the future". I don't see why this is okay.

How is having your DNA on file that heinous a crime anyways? Or are you paranoid somebody will like falsely reconstruct it in a blood sample and frame you for a crime or something?

No, I just think it's the fundamental statement:

"We don't actually care if you're innocent or guilty, we want your unique marker in case you decide to become a criminal."

It's insulting. It's the epitome of "We're just waiting for you to be a criminal". It's presuming I will do something wrong.

Not if you've already been arrested though. People don't just randomly get thrown in jail for no reason. I've never gotten arrested, and I almost killed guy... Just sayin'.
 Siren.Flavin
Server: Siren
user: Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-06-04 10:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

My right to privacy is still breached. It's still saying "well, we're keeping your DNA on record, because you could still be a criminal in the future". I don't see why this is okay.
Why do they need it? The government isn't entitled to everything I am just because it might make their lives a little easier...
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-06-04 10:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

from the statistics pulled out of my rear file...

1 in 4 americans is arrested at some point in their lives so there is a good chance you are going to decide to become a criminal at some point whether you like it or not xueye... I, of course, recommend you beat the rush and embrace those criminal urges now!

@flav I only want the dna from those smart enough to not get caught doing crimes! So I will stick with my rag soaked with chloroform method..

<insert diabolical laugh here>
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2013-06-04 10:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll take "Where the *** is my right to privacy and innocence until proven guilty" for 400, Trebek.
I can see the right to privacy issue, but not the innocence issue. Taking your DNA isn't the same as convicting you, unless (and only if) you are in fact guilty.

The way I see it, the courts have already decided that it is permissible to maintain a database for the DNA of high-risk individuals (convicted felons, people entitled to fewer privacy rights) and are now in the process of deciding what exactly constitutes a high-risk individual. Apparently, being arrested in conjunction with a major crime has been added to the definition. Knowing that their tracks will be harder to cover in the future, these high-risk individuals will supposedly be less inclined to participate in future criminal activity. This is the obvious upside to having a DNA database, but I have questions about the downside.

Out of curiosity (and not argumentation--I admittedly have not chosen a side in this particular debate), what exactly are we worried the people in the police department will do with that DNA? Aside from the things that we agree they should do with it, of course.

Edit: meant to say "convicting."
By volkom 2013-06-04 10:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not worried really if they have my dna on record or not. The only main concern i have is if there's a mixup is if someone were to commit the crime but for some reason my dna will be registered under this person. :S
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2013-06-04 11:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So what I'm hearing is that in the name of safety, you want everyone to also have a GPS microchip and be constantly tracked by helicopter drones.

Giving up your genetic marker, your utterly unique ID, and giving a government free reign to use that information to check you out for crimes is consenting to constant search.

I don't get why people are okay with being treated as criminals without committing crimes. Literally every human is a potential criminal; why should we treat ourselves as though we're also not potentially law abiding citizens?

It just seems so insulting, so utterly "I'm not willing to believe in you".

@Flav I think it's a gray area because yes, they're not citizens true, but giving fewer rights to outsiders seems like institutionalized ethnocentricism.

What I don't understand is the difference between keeping DNA information and keeping fingerprints and photos. Especially since - I assume - DNA matching is even less fallible than fingerprints and photos.

I'm also confused about the concept of a continual search. I'm definitely no expert, but, I always considered the "problem" with unreasonable searches was basically just the disruption of the person's life / harassment kind of thing. The "seizure" of your genetic identity isn't preventing you from fully accessing and using it, the way the police randomly taking your house or car would.

Until there's some kind of fiasco where some sheriff is selling DNA information to drug companies for research (or something) I just don't see the harm.

Siren.Flavin said: »
Why do they need it? The government isn't entitled to everything I am just because it might make their lives a little easier...

Surely not. But identifying, catching, and convicting criminals more quickly and efficiently also makes everyone's life a little easier. Either from a safety perspective or even just "a six month investigation is cheaper than a 12 month investigation."
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-04 11:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not worried really if they have my dna on record or not. The only main concern i have is if there's a mixup is if someone were to commit the crime but for some reason my dna will be registered under this person. :S

That I think this the only logical concern. And I get what you're saying Flav, I just simply don't agree it's that big a deal.
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-06-04 11:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
from the statistics pulled out of my rear file... 1 in 4 americans is arrested at some point in their lives so there is a good chance you are going to decide to become a criminal at some point whether you like it or not xueye... I, of course, recommend you beat the rush and embrace those criminal urges now! @flav I only want the dna from those smart enough to not get caught doing crimes! So I will stick with my rag soaked with chloroform method.. <insert diabolical laugh here>
Just steal from the cold case files with DNA in it... unsolved crimes go?
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-06-04 11:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

That I think this the only logical concern. And I get what you're saying Flav, I just simply don't agree it's that big a deal.
Differing opinions aren't all that uncommon ^^
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-06-04 11:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I know lol. I think this one is simply an agree to disagree situation.
By volkom 2013-06-04 11:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

i wish i had my laptop with me. then i can use my evil mustache avi D:
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-06-04 11:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

But each, as you say, contain a choice. As you are not a natural citizen there you have no gauranteed rights and you have a choice as to if you would like to live there or not just as I'd have a choice not to work for a certain company... With the job placement your fingerprints end up in the system permanantly...

I didn't say my choice wasn't a choice. In all of my comments I pointed out choosing to reside in Denmark.

You stated, that you as a citizen (your words and it's the key word), have to get fingerprinted for a job. If you pointed out that people (both citizens and non) have to sometimes get fingerprinted for work, I would /nod and go about my business.

However, you are equating company fingerprinting (as a citizen) with being required to be fingerprinted in a country that you are a citizen of.

Maybe I'm completely mis-reading your comment. But you stated that as a citizen you have to be fingerprinted for your company. To me this is equating fingerprinting by company = fingerprinting by your (whichever one you are a citizen of) government.

If that's not what you mean, let me know.

Also, anyone know if your employer is allowed to keep your fingerprints on file indefinitely (not for security clearance, but just employer)?
[+]
By volkom 2013-06-04 11:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

i haven't been fingerprinted for a job... but i do believe they keep those records on file for several years for legal reasons
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-06-04 11:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
But each, as you say, contain a choice. As you are not a natural citizen there you have no gauranteed rights and you have a choice as to if you would like to live there or not just as I'd have a choice not to work for a certain company... With the job placement your fingerprints end up in the system permanantly...
I didn't say my choice wasn't a choice. In all of my comments I pointed out choosing to reside in Denmark. You stated, that you as a citizen (your words and it's the key word), have to get fingerprinted for a job. If you pointed out that people (both citizens and non) have to sometimes get fingerprinted for work, I would /nod and go about my business. However, you are equating company fingerprinting (as a citizen) with being required to be fingerprinted in a country that you are a citizen of. Maybe I'm completely mis-reading your comment. But you stated that as a citizen you have to be fingerprinted for your company. To me this is equating fingerprinting by company = fingerprinting by your (whichever one you are a citizen of) government. If that's not what you mean, let me know. Also, anyone know if your employer is allowed to keep your fingerprints on file indefinitely (not for security clearance, but just employer)?
when I got my fingerprints taken they were entered into the governments system... they have my prints on file...

Not sure if any private professions are required to be fingerprinted but I know some can be fined by the governemnt if they hire people with criminal backgrounds... many public positions do especially ones where people deal with children...

I don't know specific federal law on fingerprinting though and state to state it differs widely...

Edit: I even remember the lady who performed the test was like "well at least your part of the best damn system in the world"
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-06-04 11:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

For legal reasons, a company can keep, maintain, and access your fingerprints for a job (should they even ask for it), to aid in police inquiries about a possible suspect, personalized and detailed personelle filing, etc. for up to 10 years, possibly more, depending on the legal route the company went.

Which is a scary thought, because as a private company, your fingerprints on file can potentially be sold legally to anyone who wants to buy them. Even if sold illegally, there are certain things you should never give your employer/potential employer, unless it is required by law.
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-06-04 11:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I know lol. I think this one is simply an agree to disagree situation.
My biggest concern is the containment of this information... private information is almost readily available for anyone who knows how to reach out and grab it... sadly enough a lot of it has been provided by none other than ourselves... I just take a cautious outlook on how this nation is developing, what kind of information is out there and how it will be used in the coming years...
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-06-04 11:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

& here I was so careless with my DNA over the years...
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2013-06-04 11:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

College?
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-06-04 12:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Terminus said: »

College?

COLLEGE!!!

[+]
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-06-04 12:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I told you storing your DNA inside another person is a dangerous and expensive game man!
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-06-04 12:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Never trust a college girl advertising herself as a "sperm bank" to hold your genetic profile.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2013-06-04 12:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
One thing people forget about DNA evidence: If you get cut, you bleed. Blood contains DNA. If your hair gets cut, hair contains DNA. If you clip your finger and toenails, nails contain DNA. Even sweat contains it. It's everywhere in your body. It's not a matter of should you be able to willingly surrender a sample, as the authorities can get said sample through other means if need be.
Beyond that, rapists, ***, child-rapist priests, and brothel johns leave DNA evidence...
All joking about rapists aside, however, people also forget the cops force-fingerprint criminals as well, plus the mugshots, and if the criminal is caught with a firearm in his or her possession, they usually do a firing test so they have the barrel markings for the weapon on file.
There are numerous crimes and numerous forms of evidence police can gather on an immediate need basis. All this ruling does is add one more form of evidence they have to collect as they slap the cuffs on you.

I dispute your claim that anyone forgot any of those things you mentioned about dna...

also, I already collected everyone's dna from postage stamps and pennies....
[+]
 Odin.Akhilleus
user: akhilleus
By Odin.Akhilleus 2013-06-04 14:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I think D.N.A samples should be taken at birth. If they commit a crime during their lifetime the police will have a much easier time of tracking the criminal down if they left a sample behind on the scene. This saves the taxpayer money and also makes potential criminals think twice about doing something they shouldn't be doing.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-06-04 14:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
And for the daily double, what's the first amendment we lost and under which president?

Gonna guess habeas corpus under Lincoln.

1/2 right. While habeas corpus was suspended the 10th, states' right, was shattered.
By Enuyasha 2013-06-04 14:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I would mostly like to think this will be used for identification purposes to make absolutely sure they have the right person.

Pretty sure DNA is the only way to know whether we got Osama or his gardener who for some reason has the same features and the same fingerprints.

As for "WOMG they could use this for other nefarious schemes and tread on muh rights!" They could,but when that happens this is when you as a citizen exercise your right of protest/vote/whatever else and actively make sure your government doesnt go down that route.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-04 14:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It sounds like something that should make logical sense, but considering our Country's habit of prosecutorial misconduct and predatory habits driven by the competitive nature of "Law", I can't help but feel this is both morally wrong, and a violation of rights to privacy.

It's sort of my same feelings on the Death Penalty (Not the lolcor Gun), I don't actually have anything against state-sponsored execution for the most serious crimes, but since we can't (And never will be able to) guarantee 100% of those put to death are actually guilty, I'm not so sure I'm cool being complacent with tax-payer approved murder.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2013-06-04 14:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So, this reminds me of something! A couple of years ago one of our office assistants who was on hourly wage had to apply for Medicaid to curb the cost of prenatal care, labor, pediatrics, etc. since she couldn't afford the cost of insurance offered by our company. After she came back from maternity leave, she had told us that because her care had been provided via Medicaid in the state of Texas, she couldn't check out without signing away permission for a DNA sample from her newborn daughter.

I'm not sure about the validity of this, but I'm curious as to whether other states also do this if it is true.
[+]