users online
Superspeed
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2008-11-26 15:11:00
| Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

So I was watching Kung Fu Panda last night.. And with most fighting movies, it's about who can move the fastest.

There was one scene in the movie, where the villian was fighting and everything was moving in slow speed for him.

So my main question is, what do you think would be the perception of a person who can move with superspeed? Will everything move 1/3 of the speed, enabling them to react 3x faster then an average person? That would essentially mean that said person would live a "72" hour day, what seems 1 hour to us would seem 3 hours for him because everything moves slower for him. I think moving at superspeed would be a curse if this were the case.

Or, would said person simply move super fast with the same perception of time as the rest of us? Their brain reacting in a millisecond rather then 3 milliseconds. But if this is the case, what would happen if the person could move at 100x normal speed? Insane reaction times. Probably thinking 5 different ways of reacting in .001 milliseconds.

Oh the mysteries of Kung Fu Panda.
 Midgardsormr.Yotata
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Prier
By Midgardsormr.Yotata 2008-11-26 15:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the answer to this dilemma would be contingent upon whether the person in question merely has the physical capacity for superspeed, or whether they have an analogous mental capacity which enables them to process their perceptual data at an increased rate.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2008-11-26 15:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, and like that one Transformers episode with Brian Posehn, do they die at a faster rate too? Yeah, whatever it's valid, whether it's from a kid's cartune or not. D: lol
 Lakshmi.Dmnone
Server: Lakshmi
user: dmnone
By Lakshmi.Dmnone 2008-11-26 16:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

read The Flash everything moves slow for speedsters
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2008-11-26 20:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yotata said:
I think the answer to this dilemma would be contingent upon whether the person in question merely has the physical capacity for superspeed, or whether they have an analogous mental capacity which enables them to process their perceptual data at an increased rate.
 Kujata.Ayesha
Server: Kujata
user: Ayesha
By Kujata.Ayesha 2008-11-26 23:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need physical speed to perceive things moving slower. During moments of high adrenaline people can process images faster and seemingly things slow down. You eyes see unfiltered at a rate of 500 fps, but our brain can only process them around 60 fps, normally. However, during times of danger and such the human brain can process these images faster and this causes our sense of time to be distorted.
 Garuda.Tyfoon
Server: Garuda
user: TYF00N
By Garuda.Tyfoon 2008-11-27 15:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Listen to the man above my post gentleman!
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-11-27 17:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

What Ayesha said.

The temporary increase in processing bandwidth is also responsible for why people report time "slowing down" during say, a car crash. It's also responsible for the "life flashing before your eyes" phenomenon. When your brain's processing rate shoots upwards in a panic situation, everything else seems to slow down in comparison.

One thing I've always been curious about is how it extends to animals with very limited lifespans and nervous systems. If an insect only lives for 3 days, but has just as many total brain cycles in those days than humans do in a lifetime, do the humans around seem to be moving in incredibly slow motion?
 Carbuncle.Tsuya
Premium
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Tsuya 2008-11-28 00:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything worth knowing can be learned by watching Star Trek.

http://sttos.epguides.info/?ID=423
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2008-12-14 16:33:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I have terrible luck and, as such, have been in 3 car crashes where I've basically sat in the driver's seat and watched other people obliterate my car. I can honestly say that time does "slow down" when you realize you're in a life-threatening scenario and get that huge boost of adrenaline, and I credit that boost with allowing me to escape 2 of those 3 accidents without serious injury.

The first was just being sideswiped by someone running a stop sign in a rainstorm, and there wasn't anything to do about that except watch the car spin and feel my back being destroyed. The second accident was another side-on with a drunk driver and, had I not been able to evaluate where the truck was going to hit, I might have slammed on the brakes and been crippled by a Dodge Ram in my lap instead of accelerating so they hit the rear half of my truck. [walked away with a minor concussion] The third was being rear-ended while stopped at a red light by another speeding drunk, but all I could do was relax, brace myself, and wait. The guy hit me hard enough to total my truck, and crash the SUV in front of me into the van in front of him. Funny story, since that last one was a hit-and-run the guy in the SUV tried to sue me for negligence saying he wasn't able to work at work, at home, or perform his 'marital duties' with his wife, even though I got the worst of it and had nothing more than some neck trauma. :/
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-12-14 19:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

lol maybe he just wants to stay at home and play ffxi 24/7
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-01-11 02:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, I read this book once, for the life of me I can't remember what it was called (maybe it'll ring a bell to someone here?) but at any rate, this guy took this potion or something and it basically did just that, he moved at super speed. Everything moving at regular speed slowed waaaaay down for him, and I remember he actually had to specifically slow himself down and stop running so fast because he was actually starting to heat up and smoulder from the friction of moving through the atmosphere.

Anyways, seems reasonable to me. I mean, if you were living at half the speed as everyone else, it would seem like everyone around you was moving twice as fast as they normally would...right?

Wow...that's deep lol ^^

Ayesha said:
You eyes see unfiltered at a rate of 500 fps, but our brain can only process them around 60 fps, normally.

I used to work at CompUSA before the company self-destructed, and I used to love throwing that fact out for people. There was one guy in particular that would just go ON AND ON about how his computer was soooo much better than everyone else's, and he could run Crysis at like 300 frames per second so he wins. Tell him it's a waste and that the human brain can't even process all those extra frames, and bingo, no more bragging about framerate. He returned his second 8800gtx like 2 weeks later lol...
 Shiva.Latcarf
Server: Shiva
user: latcarf
By Shiva.Latcarf 2009-01-11 03:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I experience things really, really slow but it's not because I have superspeed. It's because I'm Sofa King We Tar Dead! ;-)