Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Black Mage Sorceror's ring question
Black Mage Sorceror's ring question
 Siren.Scottyb
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: scottyb
By Siren.Scottyb 2009-12-08 09:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I just wondered if anyone could help me understand what gear I would need, to get my HP into yellow and how I would go about it.

Right now I have zenith hands and Head availible to use however if there is anything people can suggest I could buy no matter how expensive or cheap it is I am interested.

I don't have the ring yet and want to get an accurate perception of all the changes in gear and stuff I need to get this working, to evaluate how much gil it will cost in the long run.

I am a hume Blm right now and am levelling sch to have as a sub if that helps in any way.

Thanks
 Sylph.Otsego
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-12-08 10:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorc. swap sets are fairly cheap, here's mine:
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=119484

Swap back to this set:

I figured mine out by taking my base HP (I'm a taru, and this is without anything that converts HP to MP or MP to HP, I got mine by taking all my gear off), 76% of your base HP, round it down or up, depending on decimal, and that's your target number to swap. If this turns out to be wrong, or off, someone correct it without attacking my gear. The swap set works, it's gotten me killed a few times.
 Fairy.Aiburn
Server: Fairy
user: Aiburn
By Fairy.Aiburn 2009-12-08 10:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

You may need to get another Z item. I currently use Z hands/pants. Serket/Ether rings. Blue Cape +!, An elemental grip, Black cotehardie, Which gets me to 72% as a taru. Chances are you will need 1 more Z or perhaps a morgana's choker to get you there.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-12-08 10:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Take your nuking gear.

Subtract your convert gear out of it (meaning unequip it)

Take your current HP

Multiply it by 75.09%

Thats your latent HP.

Then break your latent HP with convert and HP- gear.
 Fairy.Aiburn
user: Aiburn
By Fairy.Aiburn 2009-12-08 10:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

There, sorry it just took me a sec to log in and find my build.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
Server: Carbuncle
user: Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-12-08 10:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

What these guys said, just like to add I have issues working it out myself. But you need 653HP ish 75% if you're a hume. What I do is goto your full nuking gear. Then macro in -HP gear. Then macro in back what you would nuke in.

I use Blue Cape+1, Black Cotehardie, Zenith crown, Serket Ring, Astral Earring, Rostrum Pumps, Fire Grip, (Penitent Rope) But I nuke in that anyways.

I have 3 macros to press to make my HP yellow but I'm sure there are quickier ways to do it.
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-08 10:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Just something I want to note that isn't completely on topic, but about your OP:

/SCH is actually amazing for forcing latents, because Sublimation automatically saps 25% of your HP over time, meaning you can pretty much always force 75% or less HP.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-12-08 10:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

That would save me a few million in gear... but it would be too slow.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-08 10:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, there is a wait time involved, roughly 3 minutes based on your max HP, but you can have that going as you run to wherever you're going meaning there's virtually no "wait" time unless some trigger-happy WHM spams cure on you.
 Remora.Eriuddo
Server: Remora
user: Eriuddo
By Remora.Eriuddo 2009-12-08 10:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Using sublimation s a primary means of activating Sorcerer's Ring is nothing short of HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. In many of the situations where /SCH is viable, you're still going to want to use drain as it's by far your most mp efficient 'nuke'. If you use sublimation when standing and cancel it when resting as you should, you're going to end up healing back the hp you ticked down. If a mage curagas(ouryu comes to mind), bye yellow hp.

If you can't afford proper yellow hp gear, you're probably not in a situation to afford Sorcerer's Ring. Think of it as a package, not just the cost of the Sorcerer's Ring, but the yellow hp as well. There's not much point in having one without the other(barring other jobs using the yellow hp gear).
[+]
 Siren.Scottyb
By Siren.Scottyb 2009-12-08 12:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for all the reply's so far and the suggestion of sch as a support, the its not that I can't afford some of the gear its that I don't want to join a LS just for the sake of one piece of Zenith....

That being so if anyone knows a set buyable on the auction house that would guarantee me being able to get yellow hp then i'd be very grateful like I said above I have Z mitts and Head already so what could I add to that from the AH that would get me closer to the cap?

I noticed that Korpg posted a gear set that works for a taru and just wanted to know what more I would need and if its possible to not be Ra/ex

Edit : I completely missed Cianti's post the only thing on there I see being bad is it means I would have to buy a serket's also (which would be useful for my other jobs anyway) as I already have the rest of that gear.
 Remora.Eriuddo
Server: Remora
user: Eriuddo
By Remora.Eriuddo 2009-12-08 12:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

There are some rather easy to get ra/ex pieces that would make your job easier, primarily Asklepios and Astral Aspis. Both are 100% drops and soloable on RDM, duoable by many combinations. If you cannot get those, astral earring, serket/ether ring, tiphia sting, and a blue cape+1 should have you set with your mitts, crown, and rostrum pumps. You did not mention them earlier, but provided you don't nuke in them they're a nice yellow hp piece(and you really shouldn't be nuking in them).

TLDR;

Tiphia Sting, Zenith Crown, Astral Earring, black cotehardie, zenith mitts, serket/ether ring, blue cape+1, rostrum pumps.. make sure to add all -hp pieces like penitent's rope to your hp- macro and unequip any hp+ things. You'll probably have more -hp than you need with this setup, so skip/NQ pieces as needed. Again, you can save quite a bit of gil if you camp asklepios and/or astral aspis. If you do not get either of those, use an elemental grip.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-08 12:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Scottyb said:
Thank you for all the reply's so far and the suggestion of sch as a support, the its not that I can't afford some of the gear its that I don't want to join a LS just for the sake of one piece of Zenith....

That being so if anyone knows a set buyable on the auction house that would guarantee me being able to get yellow hp then i'd be very grateful like I said above I have Z mitts and Head already so what could I add to that from the AH that would get me closer to the cap?

I noticed that Korpg posted a gear set that works for a taru and just wanted to know what more I would need and if its possible to not be Ra/ex
I'm a Hume BLM. This is the gear I use to force hp.

Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-12-08 12:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Decent HP down items (none are rare/ex)

http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=16128
http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=14182
http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=14078
http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=13578
http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=13549
http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=13552
http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=12351
http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=15292
http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=13754
http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=14782

It isn't cheap up you can force the latent on any race with only AH items.
 Siren.Pantmonkey
By Siren.Pantmonkey 2009-12-08 12:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Heya scotty: I have 4 HP merits and on BLM i hit latent, so im sure u can also.

You need 255 hp iirc from standing nuke gear, with p rope on.

I use Zenith head: 50hp > mp
Zmitts: 50 hp > mp
astral x2 hp > mp
zenith legs : 50 hp > mp
black coteharde 25hp>mp
Rost pumps -30 hp

p rope - 20hp. ignore the hp down as ul nuke in it.

however: if you dont wanna use Zenith legs, due to sky, use a serket ring instead of one of the astrals, then an astral ROPE* (cant type) and one elemental grip will hit latent for you.

As you switch back to nuke, you can leave on Zmitts so ur not yellow but still activates, to check uv done it right. Press the convert button, then hit nuke and unequip zmitts. If ur in yellow uv done it!

Il show ya later if ya need when this maint is over.

Pant
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-08 13:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: Bah, he beat me to it.
 Siren.Scottyb
By Siren.Scottyb 2009-12-08 13:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks again guys and Pant you can show me ^^.

One last question if I camp the two drops (the club and shield) could I eliminate the need for a serket?
 Siren.Pantmonkey
By Siren.Pantmonkey 2009-12-08 13:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cant remember the stats on them, but i beleive u can yes, esp if u use an ether over an astral also. + you cant nuke in Rostrum's if you use them as hp down, i nuke in yigit feet.

Im reinstalling windows in a min, so if the update takes a month, when im on il show ya. But its not hard, ts more affording the 2x abjurations and the ring poeple find hard.

/away time to nuke my HDD
 Fairy.Basilo
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-12-08 13:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

"But you need 653HP ish 75% if you're a hume" This is wrong.
Dont lower your hp too much to activate sorc ring, ever bit of hp does help, hume sorc ring even sub whm should be 700hp+ and itll work still.
I also dont believe its worth it trying to get this ring active if youre carting around 10 other pieces of crap gear that only do 15hp each.

This website has tons of black mages item sets, as well as tons of other forums with threads about this too.
 Siren.Pantmonkey
By Siren.Pantmonkey 2009-12-08 13:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

"But you need 653HP ish 75% if you're a hume" This is wrong.
Dont lower your hp too much to activate sorc ring, ever bit of hp does help, hume sorc ring even sub whm should be 700hp+ and itll work still.
I also dont believe its worth it trying to get this ring active if youre carting around 10 other pieces of crap gear that only do 15hp each."

i totally disagree, i think if u have the gil for the ring, but cant get the abjurations id take more than 10 bits of gear to hit the latent. This mixed with omega's ring simply does insane damage (my fav combo imho).

Do wut u enjoy scotty, if u can get it to activate, then do it xD
 Siren.Pantmonkey
By Siren.Pantmonkey 2009-12-08 13:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Also hume HP needs to be around 750 hp i think ~1k in standing nuke gear iirc
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-08 13:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

On BLM/RDM I sit at 708 HP in white HP with zenith mitts on; yellow without.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-12-08 13:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
On BLM/RDM I sit at 708 HP in white HP with zenith mitts on; yellow without.

^^ same for mithra
 Siren.Scottyb
By Siren.Scottyb 2009-12-08 13:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeh I nuke in goliard feet atm seeing as I lack yigit as of now and they aren't really that bad imo and i have an ether ring I use on whm atm so that wont be a problem.

If I was going to nuke on Ice day or thunder's day using my obi's would that allow me to use penitents to lower my HP?
 Siren.Pantmonkey
By Siren.Pantmonkey 2009-12-08 13:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes but u must use penitents to lower the HP in themacro, but u can nuke in obi's. Its why we left it out of the HP convertion so it works with or w/o it. So thats fine.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-08 13:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Scottyb said:
Yeh I nuke in goliard feet atm seeing as I lack yigit as of now and they aren't really that bad imo and i have an ether ring I use on whm atm so that wont be a problem.

If I was going to nuke on Ice day or thunder's day using my obi's would that allow me to use penitents to lower my HP?
P.rope's purpose is to make your starting HP lower for the convert HP->MP

If you had 1000HP, use p.rope you now have 980. Then equip/unequip the HP->MP gear you have 730/980 ~ 74.4%

If you unequip your p.rope (say for obi), you'll have 730/1000 ~ 73% (still in latent)
 Carbuncle.Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-12-08 19:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just saying I activate my ring at 653HP and I'm a hume.. I have no HP merits so it is roughly that amount. Also subbed WHM is kinda pointless with HP regen.