Spell Interuption.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Spell interuption.
Spell interuption.
First Page 2
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-26 14:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok some may regard this as a silly question or something i should know but i dont.

Ok so, how are you interupted when not being hit?

Im in the Mire as we speak and my skills are not at all capped (which i am working on in Besieged ^^) and im getting interupted quite a bit.

So...

Is this to do with the level of the Zone > Skill which im lead to believe is the answer.

If anyone could enlighten me on this, i would apretiate it.

And also will using aquaveil help me any in this situation?
 Kujata.Daus
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-11-26 16:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I get interrupted alot and I think part of it is just lag. Ill be standing still and I guess my character decides to just hop by itself, to me it looks like Ive not moved anywhere.

Its silly cause I can be getting fwacked at by mobs and still get long casting spells off, but then Ill get interrupted by standing still.

Im not exactly sure if thats your problem or not..Im pretty sure Ive never heard of capped skill=interruption rate.

If you're moving make sure you come to a complete stop before casting and if you are getting hit by something then its a matter of learning when you can get hit and not get interrupted. Sometimes if you accidentally move your character mid cast, you can move your character back to wear it was and successfully finish casting.

Aquaveil can help when something is hitting you, I dont think it will help you with random lag :P but I could be wrong.
 Gilgamesh.Mairah
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Mairah
By Gilgamesh.Mairah 2009-11-26 16:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats never happened to me before. o.O Just make sure you haven't moved at all and nothing is smacking on you and you should be ok. I will tell you this though, once you cap your enhancing magic and such, you don't get interrupted very much at all unless its a really hard hitting mob or something. <3 RDM Enhancing skill.
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
user: Toufu
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-11-26 16:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

In addition to the previous statements about not moving, might I also suggest standing on a flat surface?
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-26 16:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is i stop completely.

But i was casting on that hill, the back camp in the Mire, Maybe being on a slope does affect your casting? new to me if it is.

Reason i have ti believe it may be to do with skill and the level of the area is because if you are doing missions or traveling in areas dangerous to 75's you will usually find that your Sneak and Invis will ware off sooner because of the area level.

Atleast it seems relevant, my snk and invis would not stop wearing in the Grotto (Pass the gold door).

Thanks for replies.
 Bahamut.Dracondria
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-11-26 16:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have 102% or whatever it was, you will not get interrupted at all. There's a thread on spell interruption on BG.
 Kujata.Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-11-26 16:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tousou said:
In addition to the previous statements about not moving, might I also suggest standing on a flat surface?

That could help too. I remember spam curing some folks at a rostrum pump run several months back and I was standing up on that rock/ledge up on the left wall of that pit, and mid cureIV my character hopped down slightly and interrupted me 8(
Quote:
Reason i have ti believe it may be to do with skill and the level of the area is because if you are doing missions or traveling in areas dangerous to 75's you will usually find that your Sneak and Invis will ware off sooner because of the area level.

/cough use composure /cough
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-26 16:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

I do, full time.

When i get into a party i do the following.

1. Composure
2. Haste
3. Refresh.

Then i proceed with other buffs i may need etc.
 Gilgamesh.Mairah
user: Mairah
By Gilgamesh.Mairah 2009-11-26 16:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Thevenominside said:
Quote:

I do, full time.

When i get into a party i do the following.

1. Composure
2. Haste
3. Refresh.

Then i proceed with other buffs i may need etc.

Composure is so for the winnnnnn. I'm so glad that they implemented it.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-26 16:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Composure is good, but I'd never fulltime it. Well at least not in a party I was main healing. The penalty is really noticeable.

I usually put it on, buff myself and put it off.
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2009-11-26 16:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is i stop completely.

But i was casting on that hill, the back camp in the Mire, Maybe being on a slope does affect your casting? new to me if it is...(more)

One thing I noticed when standing on a **slope** and changing gear your character blinks and kinda does a 180 and moves a little? This has affected my spell casting in the past. Anything relevant to that?

**EDIT**
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-26 16:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Composure is good, but I'd never fulltime it. Well at least not in a party I was main healing. The penalty is really noticeable.

I tried not using it full time and using it full time.

I found that aslong as i have hasted myself the penalty is hardly noticable.

I casted Cure III, and a second later it was up again.

So i always full time it..
 Kujata.Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-11-26 16:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:

I fulltime it most of the time...unlike the OP though Im 75 so my casting speed is different then his lol. I only remove it when I know Im really tired and wont be able to keep up with a refresh cycle. I can feel like a horrible noob sometimes in salvage when I only have to remember to refresh a single whm...with composure on I totally forget to look for when the whm loses refresh.

other than that I like composure on. Haste takes care of most my recast times, Im not in too many situations where it doesnt.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-26 17:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Composure kinda sucks. I'll be honest. I've gotten killed on many occasions because I forgot to cancel it and Utsusemi recast is doubled.

It's nice for Refresh/Haste, then cancel it. Even better if you use a macro to activate it before Haste, then cancel it after Refresh.
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-26 17:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Doubled? I'm pretty sure the recast penalty is 25%.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-26 17:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a recast penalty of 25% based on the original recast, I believe.

Meaning with -50% recast time reduction, a spell with a 30 second recast would have it cut down to 15 seconds. With Composure up, the original recast is 37.5, and the Spellcasting time reduction puts it at 22.5 seconds, or close enough to doubled.

Either way, it wasn't my point.
 Kujata.Argettio
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-26 17:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I am very much sat in the 'composure your own buffs then cancel it' camp.

It is a great buff, but why would I ever want to put up with a permant recast increase?

Admittiedly I am a little anal about reducing my recasts, I carry dusk gloves and feet which I macro into my non-stat dependant spells to reduce the recast, less time waiting timer means more time doing something constructive.

Sure you can stagger different spells to fill the gaps, but there are plenty of times when you just need to fire off a spell back to back asap (setting up a haste cycle, status curing a whole party after an AOE enfeeble, sleeping in dynamis etc).

The only benifit to full timing composure is never forgetting to put it up (read: being lazy), and if you macro your spells properly then that isn't an issue. Canceling it takes a fraction of second if you are a PC user, maybe a few seconds if you are a console player. As far as I can see there is no good reason to full time it, especially when it only enhances a fraction of the spell you cast (4-5 self buffs).
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-11-26 17:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Composure is an amazing boost to RDMs. I groaned when I heard the announcement but the finer details are wonderful!
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-26 17:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fulltiming Composure on RDM is like fulltiming Defender on a DD job.

Sure, you get a bonus, but you lose the whole reason your job is good. Namely, the epic fast cast on RDM. Composure just negates the bonus entirely.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-26 17:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

My only question is were you moving before you casted? If you're literally stood still and casting is being interrupted, move to flat terrain. Blinking whilst on a slope can cause your character to move which interrupts casting. You don't notice the move because you blink, but it's enough sometimes to intterupt. Most noticeable example I can think of is Attowah Chasm.

If you were moving before and stopped, casted but was interrupted, this can be explained by server latency. If this is the case, just wait a second longer before hitting macros.
 Kujata.Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-11-26 18:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering the events I do on my rdm theres not much harm in me keeping composure up full time.

I can only think of a couple situations where the recast may get me killed..and one is the rampart pull for popping citadel chelonian in salvage :P cause its 4 ramparts+adds to sleep whilst DDs kill the chariot. So fast sleep and bind recast is a necessity.

Other times simply has to do with my being able to keep refresh on. In dynamis and even in einherjar in a 6x refresh pt, I fulltime composure and usually dont do much other than refresh. In a situation with 1 or maybe 2 refresh-ees I probably wont even bother to use the JA.

Composure is an awesome ability for a job I didnt think needed anything. I used to want to /wrist everytime all my buffs would wear every 2 minutes at the same time..now I only get that pleasure on smn and whm.
 Bismarck.Evolex
Server: Bismarck
user: Evolex
By Bismarck.Evolex 2009-11-26 18:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Daus said:
Im not exactly sure if thats your problem or not..Im pretty sure Ive never heard of capped skill=interruption rate.

Thigher the skill the less chance of a spell getting interrupted thats within its category. This isn't happening to the OP from what i see, just thought i'd point it out from what i read here.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-26 19:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Reason i have ti believe it may be to do with skill and the level of the area is because if you are doing missions or traveling in areas dangerous to 75's you will usually find that your Sneak and Invis will ware off sooner because of the area level. Atleast it seems relevant, my snk and invis would not stop wearing in the Grotto (Pass the gold door). Thanks for replies.
Composure gets rid of that problem. I used to time it with composure I never hit lower than 6 min sneak/invis and frequently got 14 on windsday with sulkers mantle. Also if you are gear changing that can cause you to move.

Zone has nothing to do with interruption rate and aquaveil and -interrupt rate and +skill will only help you not get interrupted from getting hit.

By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-27 05:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
I am very much sat in the 'composure your own buffs then cancel it' camp.

It is a great buff, but why would I ever want to put up with a permant recast increase?

Admittiedly I am a little anal about reducing my recasts, I carry dusk gloves and feet which I macro into my non-stat dependant spells to reduce the recast, less time waiting timer means more time doing something constructive.

Sure you can stagger different spells to fill the gaps, but there are plenty of times when you just need to fire off a spell back to back asap (setting up a haste cycle, status curing a whole party after an AOE enfeeble, sleeping in dynamis etc).

The only benifit to full timing composure is never forgetting to put it up (read: being lazy), and if you macro your spells properly then that isn't an issue. Canceling it takes a fraction of second if you are a PC user, maybe a few seconds if you are a console player. As far as I can see there is no good reason to full time it, especially when it only enhances a fraction of the spell you cast (4-5 self buffs).

I found your points relevant until you pretty much called everyone lazy who full-time's Composure, which i resent as everyone has different play styles.

And for god sake, if it makes someones life easier when having so many tasks to carry out during parties or whatever, not that big of a deal.

I full time composure because its just easier for me during busy parties, and being my first proper "Mage" job, im still learning so i will learn to make myself better in the future and from soloing etc.

Anyway, the topic is about spell interuption, no Composure lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-27 05:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I found your points relevant until you pretty much called everyone lazy who full-time's Composure, which i resent as everyone has different play styles.

And for god sake, if it makes someones life easier when having so many tasks to carry out during parties or whatever, not that big of a deal.

I full time composure because its just easier for me during busy parties, and being my first proper "Mage" job, im still learning so i will learn to make myself better in the future and from soloing etc.

But you pretty much admit right in there that you do it cause you are lazy lol.

The only reason to full time is meleeing. Other than that all you get is not having to manually take it off once every 6 or so min. If you claim you can't take 1 buff off every 6 min because of the time it takes yes you are being lazy. Not to mention you save so much more time from casting by taking it off.
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-27 06:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:

But you pretty much admit right in there that you do it cause you are lazy lol.

The only reason to full time is meleeing. Other than that all you get is not having to manually take it off once every 6 or so min. If you claim you can't take 1 buff off every 6 min because of the time it takes yes you are being lazy. Not to mention you save so much more time from casting by taking it off.

Im not lazy, i play the job how i am supposed to.

But being my first proper mage job it makes getting to understand the job and how parties work a bit easier to deal with.

How that = Lazy is just plain rediculous.

Lazy + RDM = Someone who AFK's, does'nt Refresh or haste or doing anything much else for that Matter.

Just because someone keeps composure on full time does not make them lazy.

And again, i resent the insinuation.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-27 06:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Im not lazy, i play the job how i am supposed to.

But being my first proper mage job it makes getting to understand the job and how parties work a bit easier to deal with.

How that = Lazy is just plain rediculous.

Lazy RDM = Someone who AFK's, does'nt Refresh or haste or doing anything much else for that Matter.

Just because someone keeps composure on full time does not make them lazy.

And again, i resent the insinuation.
How can not taking 2 secs and a couple of clicks to save 25% on recast time is lazy?

How can you consider recasting slow the way rdm is supposed to be played when rdm is was the only job that gets ability to recast faster.

As far as afks or doesn't do anything... thats beyond lazy thats your kicked long time ago.

If you really aren't lazy then click a couple of buttons every 7.5min and save yourself alot on recast.
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-27 06:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Please dont turn this thread into something it was'nt meant to be about.

If you want to go and talk Composure, feel free to do so else where.

On topic.

If anyone else has any info regarding spell interuption, then please feel free to shed some light on it thank you.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-27 06:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Were you standing there for several seconds before casting? Gear change? And yes I litterally mean several seconds
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-27 06:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, i do run then stop and cast... maybe its just me being hasty.

When i get my next party i will monitor my movement, and i will post here again with my results.
First Page 2