Brazen Bones, a guide to kill this bish
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-14 18:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't let the evil smile fool you. This guy is a major pain in the rump.

Plus, I heard he hates pie.

Anyway, many people ask me how one can solo it where 18 people cannot kill it, so this is a nice little guide JUST for him, my new bish.

This is only from a SMN/SCH's point of soloing. I think BST can solo him also, but it might be hard, might not.

He pops at an unknown point, I'm thinking time spawn. Possible 70 minutes, possible 2 hours, possible 8 hours. No PH for him though, because I killed him twice in a row without having to kill any mobs to pop him.

Anyway, as you can see where he pops (the shaded circle) you have to pull him to the main kite path. Here's the kicker, he follows by smell, so that means running over water = deaggro. You have to pull him by avatar death (or pet death if you are a BST) and he follows you to the next avatar or pet death.

Sneak is needed...badly. Even if you are a BST, you WILL need sneak since some mobs that are in between you and kite path are undead, and can't be charmed.

So, how do you get from point A to point B safe?

Kite paths!

Just follow the path you wish to go, and voila!

Now, you got the bones to the main kite block, what are you going to do now?

Here's the kicker....you must have free Garuda, Fenrir, and Carby for this to work

0 perp cost total. How would you get that without a Nirvana?

Fay staff for SMN with -3 perp.
Nash Gloves.
Evoker's Ring
Evoker's Pigaches +1
Royal Redingcoat with -2 perp.

Lower that perp cost down!

Summoning Magic skill is always a plus, but I have a total of 300 Summoning Magic skill when I killed it twice.

Here are some stats I have found out about this mob.

1. It does rage! It starts out doing 150-190 damage per hit. This is before added effects. After 30 minutes it increases its damage to 200-250 damage per hit. At about 1 hour it does 250-300 per hit. It caps at me for 350-400 damage PER HIT!

2. It does increase its double attack rate the lower its HP! It starts out at (guessing) 30% double attack rate from 100-70%, then 50% double attack rate from 70-40%, up to 75% double attack rate (or maybe higher) from 40% on down. You will notice this rate of double attack increase.

3. It has Enblizzard II and Ice Spikes, and they are MUCH stronger than what players can have. Since it does have Enblizzard II, its second hit won't proc when it double attacks. Can do between 40-50 damage per hit with Enblizzard. This sucks when it is raging, cause thats just that much more damage added on when it hits you(r avatar). Ice Spikes does 70-80 damage each hit YOU make. And the Paralyze sucks too, since its like having Paralyze II cast on you.

4. It has 0 TP moves. Thats 1 good thing about it all. I didn't see it use any TP moves at all when I killed it twice. And my avatars death rates stayed constant. No AoE Drain!

Now that you know what I know (except I figured this out while fighting) its time to get to the point of killing. Here is what you will need before you start the fight: A soda (or energy drink equivulant), a comfty chair, and determination. 1 screw up can make the fight last up to 6 hours. But, the more you kill it, the better you become, the quicker you kill it. I estimate that the fastest killing time for SMN solo would be at about 2 and a half hours.

Oh, and a good linkshell who loves to /poke you while you are fighting it and asks you questions like "are you STILL killing it?" or "GOD DAMN DUDE, wait until you know what it drops before you kill it -.-"

You pulled it to the kite path now. You are summoning and having your avatars auto-attack it. You are running out of the way. WAY far ahead.

What can kill you then? What are the common mistakes you can make? Here is what = death or destruction.

1. R0s. Yes, you will be cussing SE alot because of this. But, if you are far enough ahead, it won't affect you.....much.

2. Random people. They LOVE to get in your way of kiting. Hell, this one linkshell just all GROUPED ahead of me when they saw what I was doing....

3. RMT /ts, they lag!

4. Fish. Fish will kill you if they are in your way. Almost as annoying as players, but you can't call a GM on the fish. I wish I could of, I would have banned those fish the first fight.

5. Brazen Bones. Yeah, that mofo has movement speed +5% about. You got to make sure you run far enough ahead of him before your avatar dies, or you will die too.

6. Untimely Deaggros. You will need to deaggro it (more on that later) and if you deaggro it at the wrong time, you will lose about 20% of your work or more.

Now, here is some tips for getting past that rage problem.

-Deaggro it at certain %s. IF you are good enough, you only have to deaggro it once. At about 35% health remaining. To deaggro it, you have to take hate (meaning you summon an avatar, position yourself within casting range, and either use a JA or Cure 1 on you, and run like hell, don't even resummon another avatar until it deaggros). Deaggro'ing it causes the rage timer to reset, which lowers its damage output (but not its double attack) down to 150-200 damage per hit. THIS will save you because instead of being 1 shotted, avatars can survive 2 rounds now!

-Movement speed = death if you are too close to it when you are trying to deaggro it. If you have an avatar out when you take hate, and he turns to kill you, as long as you aren't one-shotted (double attack for 400+ per = dead SMN) it will turn back to the avatar which gives you some more running room to deaggro it. No avatar = you have better have been WAY up ahead when you take hate. You can deaggro it by not resummoning an avatar though, but it will regen about 20% if you aren't quick.

-Make a "oh shi" macro. /ma "Fire Spirit" Korpg saved my live many times.

-Expect a 6 hour fight. Thats right, 6 hours. You could have watched Gone with the Wind twice in that amount of time.

Now, for the drops.....wiki says it drops an attack+/acc+ neckpiece, but without people to confirm that.....

....and I have gotten a grand total of 2 earth crystals from it.

Anyway, any questions you have, please feel free to post here.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-14 18:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a nice guide, and I want to compliment you for posting it before all the trolls get stuck in just because it's you.

Good job!
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-14 18:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Woo.
[+]
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-11-14 19:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
This is a nice guide, and I want to compliment you for posting it before all the trolls get stuck in just because it's you.

Good job!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-14 19:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything on about how long it takes to deagrro? Like can I reliably do it just running away without a pet? Ya kwon like take advantage of the deaggroing lol
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-14 19:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say about as long as it would take a mob to deaggro you, since it detects by smell. Because it detects by smell, and you are around water (which is why you kite around that block on the water path) you will lose hate when you NEED to.

I think about 30 seconds of running, as long as its about 20 feet away from you from when it deaggros. Not close enough to hit you though, and when it rages, it could one-shot you.

When it deaggros, you have 5 seconds when it turns yellow to claim it, or it WILL regen 10% of its health right off the bat. BUT if you claim it without it regening 10%, you still have rage on it.

IMO, 110% health > dying to it.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-14 19:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmmm I might have to try it on blu
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-14 19:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

good luck.

Let us know your results after you die :D

Oh, and on HP, while I'm at it.

Took about 3 hits for avatars to knock down 1%.

Each hit did 19-30 damage.

I'm guessing 7-8k HP to kill it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-14 19:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

What do I do if I don't die?
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-14 19:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You can still lose hate on mobs if they have DoT on, regen problem solved.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-11-14 20:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for posting this info Korpg.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-14 20:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
You can still lose hate on mobs if they have DoT on, regen problem solved.
Without it regening one tick, the rage won't reset.

And good luck finding a DoT spell for a SMN/SCH. Idea is to let the avatars die, not use BP:Rs (or any JA within battle music of the NM).

Oh yeah, and on a side note: I forgot to post WHY you need SCH subjob (and not WHM).

Sublimation will save you. Every 10% you need to get the MP back from it, and you will average use of 2,200 MP just from summoning alone (provided that all the avatars you use have 0 perp costs that is, 1 mp per tick would increase the MP usage by up to 4,320 MP!)
Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
Thanks for posting this info Korpg.
Thank you.

If anyone else wants to post how they killed it (since SOMEBODY has to killed it for that neck piece to drop and recorded on wiki) please go ahead and put it here.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-14 20:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously I haven't fought this NM yet, but any NM that actually rages, the rage will reset the moment it has no hate on anyone, this can happen before it's regenned. I'm fairly sure that DoT doesn't affect this, but not 100%. Knowing next to nothing about SCH, I have no idea how easily you could poison/dia/bio it with water/light/dark elemental (if at all), but I think you should try it if you can do it without getting yourself killed. If you're having trouble with it regenning it could save you a lot of time?

Also what's the problem with using blood pacts? If it loses hate easily it really shouldn't matter if you get on the hate list every now and then?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-11-14 20:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I'm pretty sure Korpg's right on this one, you have to let it regen a tic for rage status to go off.

Nice guide, very well written.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-14 20:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

A) The idea of SMN kite is that the mob doesn't attack you if your avatar misses its first attack. You have hate, 1 CE, and it never goes away until you deaggro it. As long as you have 1 CE, your avatar will automatically attack the mob as soon as you summon it, and since a miss is considered higher than 1 CE, the mob will not pass your avatar by.

B) SCHs do not have any natural DoT spells at 37. All they got is Cures, Pro/Shell, -na (with Add), and Elemental nukes, Drain, Aspir, and Sleep/Dispel.

C) If you use BPs, it generates as much hate as Boost. Meaning you will turn the mob's focus away from the avatar and on to you, and you will have to run away for a long time (if you survive the hit, since you have to be within 15 feet to use BPs) before the avatar manages to take hate away. THEN you will have that built up enmity where the mob WILL follow you around more.

SMN kiting means you have to be as far away from the mob as possible (more than 50 feet) before the avatar dies, so you won't get more than that 1 CE hate. Its when that you have more than 1 CE hate is when SMNs die.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-14 20:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm damn sure I've claimed Sim once after a rage wipe before it regenned at all. But I don't do HNM and I'm talking about one situation a long time ago, I could quite possibly be wrong.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-14 20:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I'm damn sure I've claimed Sim once after a rage wipe before it regenned at all. But I don't do HNM and I'm talking about one situation a long time ago, I could quite possibly be wrong.
It needs to regen 1 HP. Just 1. Isn't that what we're saying? lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-14 20:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
They changed it long time ago. Pretty much anything that rages needs to regen 1 tick to reset... I think it used to be regen to full though
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-14 20:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Actually I'm pretty sure Korpg's right on this one, you have to let it regen a tic for rage status to go off. Nice guide, very well written.
Yeah, rage sticks around if you don't let it regen.

This mob is the same, if you get aggro (or actually attack it) before it regens, the damage stays the same at rage status.

Thing about this mob, however, is that it doesn't look like its evasion and defense goes up during rage status. Raged mobs usually are impossible to hit, even with magic, but this NM takes a constant 19-30 damage from avatars and have a moderate evasion (most likely since its level 85+) so its hard to say.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-14 20:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Actually I'm pretty sure Korpg's right on this one, you have to let it regen a tic for rage status to go off. Nice guide, very well written.
Yeah, rage sticks around if you don't let it regen. This mob is the same, if you get aggro (or actually attack it) before it regens, the damage stays the same at rage status. Thing about this mob, however, is that it doesn't look like its evasion and defense goes up during rage status. Raged mobs usually are impossible to hit, even with magic, but this NM takes a constant 19-30 damage from avatars and have a moderate evasion (most likely since its level 85 ) so its hard to say.
Did the dmg it dealt really go down after "unraging" it? These Nms are very weird and unique I mean a mob like that shouldn't have rage as it was really just implemented to combat holding on certain 24 hour NMs
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-14 20:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Did the dmg it dealt really go down after "unraging" it? These Nms are very weird and unique I mean a mob like that shouldn't have rage as it was really just implemented to combat holding on certain 24 hour NMs
Yes.

You can tell it went down in damage based on my 2 days worth of SS kills.

First day was during raged mode (before I knew about it unraging)

Second day was during deaggro and non-raged mode (after I discovered it).

350 damage during rage mode

150 damage unraged.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-14 20:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gonna have to try and find some time to try this on blu, looks like pulling it will be a pain in the butt, but once you get it to one of the rooms on the west map simply staying out of range and keeping poison up should work.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-14 20:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yes. You can tell it went down in damage based on my 2 days worth of SS kills. First day was during raged mode (before I knew about it unraging) Second day was during deaggro and non-raged mode (after I discovered it). 350 damage during rage mode 150 damage unraged.
You think it might have been hp related? Try timing it and stuffs?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-14 20:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I'm gonna have to try and find some time to try this on blu, looks like pulling it will be a pain in the butt, but once you get it to one of the rooms on the west map simply staying out of range and keeping poison up should work.
I was thinking blu too but maybe more like long range cannonballing and deaggroing as much as possible. I mean I think he said 6-7k hp... thats nothing really. Too bad I don't have bst lvld could charm something around there to throw at it.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-14 20:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU/NIN with movement speed + should be able to deal with this pretty easily since Cannonball takes virtually no time to cast, right?

Edit: I would love to see an NM meet 18x BLU that just open with 300 TP CA Cannonballs >_>;
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-14 20:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
BLU/NIN with movement speed should be able to deal with this pretty easily since Cannonball takes virtually no time to cast, right?
.5 sec cast 28.5 recast 66mp... blunt dmg longer casting range than normal magic. I however have no +movement speed so would need to rely on force deaggroing or messing with terrian to mess up its following me. Wonder if cor/nin QD win would work too lol
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-14 20:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
You think it might have been hp related? Try timing it and stuffs?
I did, I noticed an increase in damage about 30 minutes into the kite, and again 1 hour into the kite. I think it stops increasing at about 2 hours though.

Of course, it could be related to damage taken. I didn't time the damage (kindof hard when you are running for your life all the time lol).

Come to Asura and time it for me :D
BLU/NIN with movement speed should be able to deal with this pretty easily since Cannonball takes virtually no time to cast, right? Edit: I would love to see an NM meet 18x BLU that just open with 300 TP CA Cannonballs >_>;
Its the aggro on the way to the kite path that will kill you.

EVERYTHING aggros sneak there.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-14 20:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yes, another thing before you go.

BP:R Flaming Crush did about 3% damage. For ~500 damage.

I'm thinking that anything you do will be reduced. I'm not sure if Blunt Damage applies. Ramuh is too slow on Chaotic Strike to test it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-14 20:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
BLU/NIN with movement speed should be able to deal with this pretty easily since Cannonball takes virtually no time to cast, right? Edit: I would love to see an NM meet 18x BLU that just open with 300 TP CA Cannonballs >_>;
Its the aggro on the way to the kite path that will kill you. EVERYTHING aggros sneak there.
Kite... er I mean zone it all! Or just death pull
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-14 20:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Asura.Korpg said:
Its the aggro on the way to the kite path that will kill you. EVERYTHING aggros sneak there.
Kite... er I mean zone it all! Or just death pull
Don't forget that water will deaggro your NM lol
First Page 2 3 4 5