Combatant's Torque Usefull?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Combatant's Torque usefull?
Combatant's Torque usefull?
By Imilky 2023-05-07 23:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

In 2023, is Combatant's Torque still useful? In what situation would one use it? Thanks
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-05-08 00:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe it's still helpful to get enough skill to use certain WS with WAR/NIN or WTV/WAR for red abyssea procs. That's probably about it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-05-08 00:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a reasonable all jobs TP option. Acc/atk via +15 combat skill, and 4 stp. Though many jobs have better options.

It's also a shield skill piece for PLD, and an evasion build option(though Bathy choker+1 with augs is better.)

Basically, it's usable, but not really highly sought after now as there are better options for many jobs.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-08 01:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It is one of the highest accuracy pieces in that slot (Ej Necklace has accuracy +15 but has no Store TP) outside of JSE necks, so it will help if you're lacking. Not only that, but it is a solid option for jobs like RDM, or mages that don't usually melee. It's a situational piece, but one that is nice to have as an option.
[+]
By Imilky 2023-05-08 03:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for sharing.
By Jetackuu 2023-05-08 09:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

As most things: situational.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-05-08 09:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

if you care about building TP sets for jobs that typically don't get great DD gear options, its an invaluable piece of gear. Case in point, I really enjoy solo DD'ing on BLM, and there just isn't any other reasonable neck option, let alone a pretty good one.

But Martel really nailed it- its a great all-purpose option that probably gets outclassed by a piece of gear for most main DD jobs, but until you get that BiS option, Combatant's Torque is a helluva "backup".
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-05-08 10:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't disagree with this in principle, but there's also Asperity Necklace which is all jobs with 3 STP and 2 DA, which (depending on your accuracy needs) I'd argue has better overall TP gain.

Combatant is fine and a decent option, but I don't think it's the *only* option for any job.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2023-05-08 12:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
I don't disagree with this in principle, but there's also Asperity Necklace which is all jobs with 3 STP and 2 DA, which (depending on your accuracy needs) I'd argue has better overall TP gain.

Combatant is fine and a decent option, but I don't think it's the *only* option for any job.

But if you already have a Combatant's Torque, then Asperity is inventory -1 for minimal gains.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-05-08 12:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

1. its inv -1 for less STP and 2 DA.

2. that 2 DA actually causes more problems than any benefit for mythic users.

3. if your job doesn't need the accuracy that Combatant's provides, then you definitely have better TP options to aim for than either choice....and if your job doesn't have a clearcut better option, you probably do need the accuracy.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-05-08 13:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brahmsz said: »
But if you already have a Combatant's Torque, then Asperity is inventory -1 for minimal gains.

But if you already have Asperity, then Combatant's Torque is inventory-1 for minimal loss.

Really depends on the jobs and REMAs you have on your character at the end of the day, but I think the number of people looking for AM3 sets for BLM, GEO, and WHM who also already have combatant's torque for their WAR abyssea proccing sets is...limited...
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-05-08 14:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »

But if you already have Asperity, then Combatant's Torque is inventory-1 for minimal loss.

Yup, that really does go both ways.

Difficulty to obtain is also relevant, especially if you're just using this as a niche mage melee set. Getting the 7 Warder drop necks is kind of a pain in the *** if you don't already have them and you don't have an especially compelling reason to build this kind of esoteric melee set.

A relatively common use case is probably stuff like a Nirvana SMN using it as a melee TP piece to get 3000tp for aftermath before fighting an NM. Acc/STP combo is great for that. But eh... in those kinds of situations you're most likely going to have plenty of time to get your buffs and pre-fight preparation ready, and you won't care that much if it takes a couple extra attack rounds to hit 3000tp.

YMMV if you're actually doing something like trying to gain TP during a fight to do WS for damage (like, say, BLM meleeing for TP and doing Cataclysm) or aftermath application.

Melee RDM is another potential user, though they have other options too. Anu Torque for more STP, Sanctity Necklace (combo of acc AND macc) is a viable option if focusing on Enspell damage to get a little bit of everything, the aforementioned Asperity Necklace is an option, etc. Asperity (Delve drop or spend plasm), Sanctity (a mere 100 Domain Invasion points), or Anu (one NM drop as opposed to 7 drops + Synergy) are also all a heck of a lot easier to get than Combatant's.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2023-05-08 14:36:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Last point and I'll stop there:

I don't know about anyone else but I simply assumed if Imliky was asking about Combatant's Torque in 2023, that meant they already have one. I could very well be wrong in my assumption without further/proper context. None was given.

Also, Asperity is trash and you shouldn't be aiming for an inferior neck piece. But that's my opinion.

Lastly, perhaps I am in that supposedly minor population of players that would make a Mage Aftermath Melee build, but what else you gonna do after 20 freaking years of playing? '-')
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-08 16:27:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Other nice tp options other than Combatant's, Asperity, or Ej necklace include:

Sanctity Necklace (accuracy & regen)
Clotharius Torque (accuracy & TA+1)
Lissome Necklace (accuracy & DA+1 & STP+4)
Iskur Gorget (STP+8)
By Dodik 2023-05-08 18:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Also Vim Torque +1 (Acc+15, STP+10, Regain and Refresh). Not many jobs on it though.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-05-08 18:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Sanctity Necklace (accuracy & regen)

Sanctity is also situationally nice due to having Macc (RDM enspell purposes) and HP (PLD melee sets that retain some HP). Those are my main 2 uses for it at least.

Also, Asperity is trash and you shouldn't be aiming for an inferior neck piece. But that's my opinion.

I mean, let's say someone doesn't care about melee mage sets except for getting TP on their SMN to trigger Nirvana aftermath before fights. They probably don't really care if something is mildly "inferior" when it's simple to obtain and good enough for that situation. Grabbing something decent like Asperity or Sanctity in seconds is a very reasonable option if you don't care to go farm 7 Warder drops that will likely require multiple pops and kills of each, then synergize the neck to get a marginally better TP set that you'll use in situations where having "optimal" gear is pretty irrelevant in the first place.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-05-08 18:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Dodik said: »
Also Vim Torque +1 (Acc+15, STP+10, Regain and Refresh). Not many jobs on it though.

PLD is probably the most relevant one, but I could absolutely see a PLD not wanting to deal with Vim's -50hp/tic latent and going for Combatant's as a TP option. Personally, I default to Sanctity for the all-around combo of acc/atk/regen/HP at the expense of STP.

The jobs that might want to use Combatant's as a potentially best (or close) option for a specific use case - i.e., Acc/STP melee TP set - are probably:
WHM BLM RDM PLD RNG SMN COR SCH RUN GEO

You might stick it in an Occult Acumen set on a BLM SCH too? Niche stuff, but possible uses.
 Phoenix.Iocus
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-05-08 19:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It's nice for tanks that can enjoy the defensive skills it gives without losing all pretense of offense.

It also helps with my WAR/NIN's Koki problem. Those lines are going cut themselves.
 Asura.Dexprozius
Server: Asura
By Asura.Dexprozius 2023-05-09 00:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's probably the best Accuracy option for RNG kclub, but I think you'll get more mileage out of Iskur's STP and finding the Acc elsewhere.
By SimonSes 2023-05-09 06:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dexprozius said: »
It's probably the best Accuracy option for RNG kclub, but I think you'll get more mileage out of Iskur's STP and finding the Acc elsewhere.

Personally I use this on KC RNG.
https://www.ffxiah.com/item/27515/erudit-necklace