Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Wardrobes in 2023
Wardrobes in 2023
By smii 2023-05-05 20:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

How many do you have, and how many jobs did you cram in them? I'm a complete degenerate and have 8/8 and I got 10 geared jobs in them. SMN, DRK, COR and RDM are the biggest offenders, especially SMN because it shares so little.
By Hopalong 2023-05-05 20:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Wardrobes are a trap. It inflates a game that has a value of less than $20 a month to much more than is reasonable not even counting multiboxing.

I went from six wardrobes to four and 3 alts which is $19.95 a month.

I run Sam, Pld, Thf, Cor on those four wardrobes and have Geo equips in my Mog Sack and Run equips in my Mog Case. I retired Smn, Rdm, Nin, Drg, Sch despite nirvana, trishula etc and great equips for them all and also just enjoyed playing them. I will never use the moogle equip storage system for quick changes or jobs I want to have in my lineup because it takes so long and is so unwieldy.

Also, the master level process restricts the amount of wardrobes a character can have long term. Any regular player will never ever completely master four jobs ever.

Wardrobes in 2023? Everyone (or just me) is economizing and choosing which jobs they should use. Is that good for a game in its twilight years, hell no. Fix Cape inventory, lower the exponential curve of EP needed for mastery at later levels, and drop wardrobe price to $1 each one and we'll talk.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-05-05 20:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of people I know play tons of jobs and have all the wardrobes and still want more.

I'm on 6 and hate myself for buying them. But it was getting 2005 all over again with equipment in inventory and moving stuff around. Not even that many jobs at 6 at a usable level. Blu alone takes up a couple.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-05-05 21:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I have all 8 and I love them because I can occasionally play anything other than RDM. RUN, RNG, SMN, DRG, WAR, might even be a BRD in there. I retired PLD, I'll probably fool myself into trying to make BST work again. Probably have a BLU with only making JSE.
By Draylo 2023-05-05 22:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I have all of them because I don't mind the cost as it helps the game in some form and also because I don't have to mess around with inventory. On my mules I only have 2 extras because I use addons to move their gear around anyway, but on my main I like to also have vanity gear items able to be used.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-05-05 22:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

5 wardrobes on each of my characters. One is BRD PLD SMN DRK THF RUN DRG BLU, other is COR WHM NIN SCH RDM RNG BLM GEO, though admittedly I don't have 100% of the gear for all of those jobs, notably some of the RDM melee stuff, but things are pretty decked out otherwise.

I will get wardrobe 6 when it becomes necessary, but I still have space as-is.

ML are a complete joke and not even a discussion point in this conversation, IMO. You don't have to be ML50 on a job to "have" that job and play it effectively. I've got very few jobs past ML30 and none past 40 and have cleared basically the entire game.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-05 22:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 6 geared jobs and no extra wardrobes (except one that I cancelled an hour after getting it so I could stick in things that can't be stored) and do alright, although I have a system. There are things you need to consider.

1) What can you store on a slip? Or a mule? And more importantly, do you really need that old level 75 piece you haven't used in 10 years? Figure out what's important. If something isn't, store/sell/send/drop.

2) If you have windower you can use a command called //org freeze inventory to make a file that will remember the equipment and items you have at the time of freezing, and this will be job specific. So for example, if you froze your Dark Knight equipment, you can move the gear out, change job, and come back later. When you get back on that job, you simply type //org o inventory, and it will automatically bring everything in for you. This works similarly to the old addon Gearcollector. It saves so much time.

3) Put as many crossover gears into your wardrobes as you can, because that will save you space in your inventory. Anything that is All Jobs that gets used by 2 or more jobs, put it in there. Any other gears that are crossovers, put them in there. If you have job specific gear in your wardrobes (other than capes), it will hurt your space. But this is what you have to do if you don't want to spend more on this game while having several jobs geared.

4) Do you need a set for every niche situation? Not really. We could be overly prepared for anything, but for example, how often is it that you'll need a Steal set for Thief? Think about what you actually need on your jobs, and don't keep sets around if you're only likely to use them once every 3 years. You'll find equipment you don't need, so you can send them to a mule and get them back if they are required later.

5) Don't hoard items on your main character. Yes, you're building that Mythic, but could you not just trade your Alexandrite to the NPC when you get it? Could you not keep your stacks of Heavy Metals on a mule until you're ready to trade them in? There are so many items you can keep on a mule until it is time. And this is the same for crafting. If you like to craft sometimes on your main character, hoard your materials on your mules and send them over when you find the time.

Half of this game is inventory management unless you cough up the money to make things more convenient. It's more effort. You can't afford to be lazy with it, but if you get into a routine and keep some kind of order, it is doable. If you pay for extra wardrobes, you are paying so you can have the luxury of being lazy. If you don't play this game much... then don't buy the wardrobes. You won't be getting your money's worth.

Wardrobes are for players who want to keep 8-16 jobs geared at master and don't want to have mess around with slips and mules every time they job change. They play this game religiously. And even though the price of the wardrobes is dumb, at least they are getting some worth out of their money. If you only play 2-4 jobs, you seriously... do not need extra wardrobes. If you do, you are hoarding items and need to sort out your character.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-05-05 22:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with a lot of what you said Kylos, except the stuff about crafting mats, alexandrite, etc.

On both of my characters, I have between 2-5 inventory spaces used up at any given time, and 50+ sack/case/satchel spaces. Any alex, hmp, boulders, etc. can just sit in safe, safe2, storage, locker. There's plenty of space for all that junk, even if you don't mule it. Or of course you can mule it if you're a super hoarder.

Regardless, none of that stuff affects your inventory or wardrobes, they're completely separate things. Wardrobes are for gear you use regularly, and that's how I treat them. I routinely go through and prune my wardrobes for gear I'm not using anymore and frankly, there's very little if any of that in my wardrobes.

That said, I do not use slips or other storage for any gear I actually use on a job I play. If I need to swap jobs I can do it instantly at any moogle who can change my job and I'm ready to play any of them without going to any other NPC, and that's how I prefer it. If I stored JSE, I could probably drop a wardrobe, maybe 2.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-05-05 22:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
I agree with a lot of what you said Kylos, except the stuff about crafting mats, alexandrite, etc.

On both of my characters, I have between 2-5 inventory spaces used up at any given time, and 50+ sack/case/satchel spaces. Any alex, hmp, boulders, etc. can just sit in safe, safe2, storage, locker. There's plenty of space for all that junk, even if you don't mule it. Or of course you can mule it if you're a super hoarder.

Regardless, none of that stuff affects your inventory or wardrobes, they're completely separate things. Wardrobes are for gear you use regularly, and that's how I treat them. I routinely go through and prune my wardrobes for gear I'm not using anymore and frankly, there's very little if any of that in my wardrobes.

That said, I do not use slips or other storage for any gear I actually use on a job I play. If I need to swap jobs I can do it instantly at any moogle who can change my job and I'm ready to play any of them without going to any other NPC, and that's how I prefer it. If I stored JSE, I could probably drop a wardrobe, maybe 2.

If you're like me, you have a lot of equipment per job and keeping anything that doesn't need to be used in the next few days is a hindrance. I have cut back lately and found some breathing room, but I still have this thing in the back of my head that my mules are there solely for space, so why not use them?

A player using //org o inventory needs to keep their bags from filling up too far, otherwise the job changing can get skewed (as in it takes several attempts to collect your gear). I have no extra wardrobes, so my inventory on most jobs sits between 58-70 used, so only 10-22 free spaces for items, food, reraise, treasure, etc. Red Mage is the worst, while Thief is the easiest.

What you're saying is what I already stated. You are paying for wardrobes so you have that convenience of not having to go looking for equipment, or go to the lengths that I do to bring in equipment through an addon. I'm fine dealing with that, while I know others would rather not. All I'm saying is that you don't "need" extra wardrobes in most cases. You only "want" them for the luxury. The only players that require extra wardrobes are those who want to be super flexible for Odyssey NMs, or in general.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-05-05 23:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is people who need to optimize dps each and every possible situation and wind up needing 200 pieces of equipment for one job.

Ie:
https://github.com/Kinematics/GearSwap-Jobs/blob/master/NIN.lua
24 engaged sets!!
By fillerbunny9 2023-05-05 23:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I pay for three extra, and that is already too much as far as I am concerned. ALL my AF/Relic/Empyrean goes on moogle slips, and I use Porter Packer to quickly put away and grab whatever I need. Sortie has been especially galling with its "here, have an earring per job. oh, and their augment range is random AND they're non-storable." at least you can mail the ones that are more niche to a mule to haul off of provided you plan ahead.

housing storage is entirely too unwieldy in this day and age, especially when you might need to be ready and able to take 2-3 fully geared separate jobs into an Odyssey clear at v25. this is where you can leave your trophies to sit and gather dust - shitty relics, lockstyle pieces, furniture for Storage, moogle slips for sub 119 JSE, Crafting+ Equipment, and lower priority gear pieces that might be reserved for soloing since you aren't wasting other people's time to swap them in and out. my Satchel is literally full of all the weapons for the jobs I play, and ~4 shields. stupid ***like Tp Bonus offhands/ranged, damage weakness targeting for Segment farms, and needing to hold onto a couple of unique casting weapons (Daybreak for Dispelga) contribute to bloat so I work to keep them to the minimums I need. Sack is nothing but Ambuscade capes and the Mog Kupons for Augmented JSE (21, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30). Case is medicine, Ambu seals, JA consumables (Angon, Shihei, QD Cards, etc), Bullet/Arrow/Bolt belts, a single stack of Chrono Bullets (nothing worse than running out of bullets on COR and needing to wait 20 min or switch to weaker ammo), transportation items, food, and occasionally a spare Moogle Amp or two for Ody. RP.

Wardrobe 1 is all the melee DD gear I can stuff it with. 2 is all caster gear including accessories. 3 is all the -DT/tanking gear, enmity swaps, etc. 4 is for Ranger/Corsair ranged attack gear, movement gear, Phalanx swaps, and some spillover from Wardrobe 1. 5 is mostly Bard and Corsair buff enhancing gear, all the Divergence Neck pieces for the jobs I play, as well as some emergency use stuff in case ***hits the fan (Reraise ring, Shobu. Kabuto, etc.), and as many Ambuscade capes as I can still shove into it. all said and done, I am covered for about 16 jobs, with additional jobs SMN and PUP gear stored exclusively in my House. for a long while I was running at 75~78/80 inventory, but with Empyrean gear I have been able to get rid of some Caster gear, and when coupled with Ody gear, I was able to ditch most of my Oseem augmented trash so I now hover closer to 65/80 before entering any event content.
[+]
By Beau 2023-05-06 07:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

PorterPacker is a gamechanger that will allow you to play all non-pet jobs. I say non-pet because pet jobs have a lot of odd gear that aren't shared well with other jobs. To effectively use porterpacker, you want to job change near a porter moogle (Norg or Mhuara) and have some code in your gearswap to 1) automatically run to the porter moogle, and 2) automatically initiate porter slip gear swapping. All in all, a job change loading/storing gear from slips take about 30-40 sec. You can also put/retrieve the slips themselves but I personally always keep them in my inventory.