2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Aeneas R15
Aeneas R15
First Page 2
By Lederic 2022-01-19 08:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Any reason to R15 Aeneas? Have Twashtar R15 and plan to mainhand Aenease / offhand Twashtar.
 Ragnarok.Magicobandito
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: awcoburn
By Ragnarok.Magicobandito 2022-01-19 09:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Certainly not for the exenterator dmg, but the higher base damage and additional accuracy are a nice to have.
By Crossbones 2022-01-19 14:26:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The base damage increase is so small it is nearly worthless. I think the acc is a nice bonus, but mainly the macc is what I would RP it for since I basically only use it for AE and I think it's a great dagger for AE in certain cases. If you don't need the acc (THF is a really high acc job) or macc I wouldn't bother.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [65 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Lordtrey
Server: Asura
user: Lordtrey
By Asura.Lordtrey 2022-03-25 07:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

acc/macc are great. Its still like 6% increase in base damage. You will have to use extenerator to get AM going for the fun with skillchains.

Assuming you use it for more than AE, like all the other was as well, then bigger base damage is always nice. Plus in gleti, or similar amounts of +crit, we have a 100% crit rate on most everything in the game. If not 100% then its close. So that damage is more to be multiplied on crits and on TAs with all our TA damage plus gear and 60% TA rates.

Oh, and to be leet you gotta pay.
By SimonSes 2022-03-25 12:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lordtrey said: »
acc/macc are great. Its still like 6% increase in base damage. You will have to use extenerator to get AM going for the fun with skillchains.

Assuming you use it for more than AE, like all the other was as well, then bigger base damage is always nice. Plus in gleti, or similar amounts of +crit, we have a 100% crit rate on most everything in the game. If not 100% then its close. So that damage is more to be multiplied on crits and on TAs with all our TA damage plus gear and 60% TA rates.

Oh, and to be leet you gotta pay.

If you care about white damage you will use Twashtar (or Tauret), not Aeneas :P Also 100% crit rate is technically possible, but most white damage sets or some mix of gleti's and "glass" equip would be around 50-60%.
 Bahamut.Nolatari
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Nolatari 2022-03-25 13:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

To the OP: if you like the jobs that can use it, go ahead and R15 it. Don’t play the way spreadsheets tell you to play, go ahead and switch things up. It gets boring playing one pattern(SB, Fudo spam, Torcleaver spam). Yeah it’s sometimes more efficient but we are to the point in game where only Odyssey needs extreme efficiency. So play different
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-03-25 15:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean if you're bringing a THF as a DD, you might as well go all the way like everyone else that plays a DD.

If that's not what you're trying to emphasize then it's totally overpriced because exenterator is pos.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-03-25 15:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I am a completionist junkie for those blue letters, and I R15 all of my RMEA weapons (working on #20 right now across my 2 characters).

I do have a R15 Aeneas, and of all my RMEA it's absolutely the one where I would prioritize the augments the least. Easily. As a practical matter, you R15 Aeneas just to complete the trophy - not because it's really a significant improvement.

1) 6 DMG is a pittance.
2) Exenterator damage still doesn't make it a WS you'll use for anything but putting up Aeonic AM.
3) Acc/Macc+30 is the most useful stat, but... eh. THF doesn't really struggle for Acc, and even stuff like Macc helping Aeolian Edge (as Crossbones noted) is niche as hell. Mostly, AE is for weak mobs where resists aren't so much an issue in the first place - so this is a benefit for stuff like... Divergence Wave 3/Mega Boss if you're trying to TP on one mob and AE down others/adds (my group doesn't use such a strat, though I know some people do)? Very much a YMMV situation that I don't think is a significant priority for most.

I mean, you can't deny that more DMG and Acc are always better than not having them. But at what cost? If anything, maybe just toss a stack or two of Swarts at it for a bit of a boost if you use the weapon regularly. 920 RP (92 Swart) = Rank 7. But man, those last few levels (almost 2 stacks of Swarts to go from R13 to R15) are quite pricey for extremely minor gain.

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
I mean if you're bringing a THF as a DD, you might as well go all the way like everyone else that plays a DD.

In most cases, going all the way as a THF DD = using a weapon that is not Aeneas. Twash, Tauret, Vajra depending on situation (maybe Naegling, gross). So the difference between Aeneas without R15 and at R15 isn't very relevant.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-03-25 15:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The most confusing part is that he means to use Aeneas MH and Twashtar OH.

This USED to be a BiS setup for THF (or DNC, or other jobs) but we're talking about years ago, things moved a lot.
You already have Twashtar R15 Lederic, just use that and get a Centovente.
Twashtar R15 is in most situations your BiS Dagger for pure damage.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-03-25 15:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Mostly, AE is for weak mobs where resists aren't so much an issue in the first place - so this is a benefit for stuff like... Divergence Wave 3/Mega Boss if you're trying to TP on one mob and AE down others/adds (my group doesn't use such a strat, though I know some people do)? Very much a YMMV situation that I don't think is a significant priority for most.

Tbh I would think more current example would be AoE Gears for EP on all jobs listed on dagger :)
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-03-25 15:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Mostly, AE is for weak mobs where resists aren't so much an issue in the first place - so this is a benefit for stuff like... Divergence Wave 3/Mega Boss if you're trying to TP on one mob and AE down others/adds (my group doesn't use such a strat, though I know some people do)? Very much a YMMV situation that I don't think is a significant priority for most.

Tbh I would think more current example would be AoE Gears for EP on all jobs listed on dagger :)

Fair enough, thanks for the possible use case. Still very YMMV, but if that's something you do then maybe the Macc+30 in particular has more value to you. Do your own cost/benefit analysis on how much it's worth to you. Maybe a stack of Swart to get to R7 is affordable enough, and the ~50mil worth of Swarts to get that last Macc+15 (or whatever it is, IDK exact numbers by rank) is less compelling. https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Reinforcement_Points#Rank_Table

There are still probably better uses of your gil if you have other RMEA that need augments, or other big ticket purchases that are more impactful. But if you have it all and want to totally max out your THF BRD DNC (or just get it cause blue numbers make you happy like they do for me)... OK, you do you.

And while we're on the topic... 2022 best use cases for Aeneas? I'm truly curious about other good situations to use it for those who also have access to the other top options (like the typical Twashtar Tauret). Personally, I tend to feel best about using Aeneas on DNC multistepping (especially due to DNC higher SC Bonus), but not so much on THF. But I could definitely be overlooking some possibilities.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-03-25 18:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Only real use for it is Aeolian Edge, no?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-03-29 21:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Only real use for it is Aeolian Edge, no?

For those without Twashtar, Aeneas is still a very strong all-around option though - right? Maybe for pure WS spam situations Tauret/Evis still wins out over Aeneas/Rudra, but once you start adding any SCs to the equation, Aeneas (even at R0) is probably a good choice. Maybe I'm off base though, happy to get some opinions if people think Tauret is generally the better call (and yes, I know they're prob gonna be fairly close either way - but if somebody has 'em both...)

I totally get that Aeneas becomes a lot less useful for THF if you also have a Twashtar. But like, I know a lot of people who grabbed the dagger in an Aeonic run and aren't quite dedicated enough to have built a 119/R15 Empy (or Mythic).
 Lakshmi.Cesil
Server: Lakshmi
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2022-03-30 03:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I have it and don't really use it. However I'm dnc main, I prefer my r15 terp or twashtar.
 Asura.Otomis
By Asura.Otomis 2022-03-30 11:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeneas R15 was considered #1 just a year ago but with gear creep and ML Lvs Thf now has the attack power and crit rate to elevate Twashtar to #1 slot. Also keep in mind, all of this changes with gear, buffs, food.

If you already have one and not the other just use it until you get the other imo. All 3 daggers are relatively close on sheet depending on small changes.

In my personal experience, Thf is able keep up with heavy DDs in W3 Dyna/Omen bosses as long as mobs are not piercing resistant.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-03-30 13:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Otomis said: »
Aeneas R15 was considered #1 just a year ago but with gear creep and ML Lvs Thf now has the attack power and crit rate to elevate Twashtar to #1 slot.

Uh... really? Who considered Aeneas #1 a year or so ago? Other than maybe Spicyryan with some interesting opinions in the BGwiki
"guide"
that I've never seen to be consistent with the prevailing community thoughts (for example, I noted in November 2021 that he didn't even really mention Centovente at that point; it's now discussed more with a weirdly vitriolic rant against FFXIAH players lol). And even as one of the biggest Aeneas advocates I've seen, Spicy still seems to acknowledge R15 Twash should generally beat R15 Aeneas.

AFAIK, general consensus in this forum a bit over a year ago was still Twash. In fact, at least since RMEA augments existing (they were introduced in late 2018), I don't recall ever seeing strong arguments for Aeneas over Twash. Maybe there was some time between Aeonic introduction (2016) and RMEA Augments (late 2018) where that was the case?

ML also doesn't change things. Even at max current ML, whether or not you have Acc/Atk/STR/DEX+30 doesn't change weapon selection. At ML0 or ML30, it's still Twash.

Similarly, new gear in the past year or so also doesn't really change things. Even before Odyssey gear, Twash was the general consensus. After, no change. And the Ody gear doesn't massively favor one weapon: both Aeneas and Twash get Nyame B pieces for a similar boost to Rudra's damage. Maybe for Twash capped attack situations you can use a couple Gleti's pieces (head/body) for Rudra's for the PDL+ and crit rate (if unstacked) - but this isn't significantly changing your weapon selection.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-03-30 14:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Aneas was considered #1, with Twashtar OH, but that was way longer than 1 year ago lol.
We're talking about BEFORE they added Astral Detritus and Dynamis Divergence to reforge all RMEA.
So... 3 years ago? Or more?
Back then yes, AeneasMH/TwashOH was pretty much the BiS option, at least for the majority of situations.

All these discussions are about nerd masturbation anyway, and most of us in here love it, let's face it lol
What I mean is: AeneasMH is still a pretty good option, even with R0 Aeneas.
If someone doesn't want to invest the money to get other weapons meh, so be it, it's still an excellent option.

But the main factor here is that the OP said he owns an R15 Twashtar, and in such a situation I see very little meaning for Mainhanding or R15ing Aeneas, unless for completition, collection or stuff like that.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-03-30 15:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, pretty much agreed with Sechs here. It's not as if Aeneas R0~R15 is a bad dagger, it's still going to be a top option. Just not usually THE top option, so a lot harder to find a place to use if you also have augmented Twashtar available.

For me, I do see some more value in Aeneas on DNC multistepping. That's where I like to use mine. Plays to DNC's strengths of good SCs: SC Bonus trait, Flourishes (Climactic/Building for strong WS, Reverse Flourish to more easily close a SC with a 3000tp WS)... On THF you don't get those things, plus THF gets a bit more out of Empy AM1~AM3 white damage due to more TA/Crit dmg+ gear and higher critical attack bonus trait.

Though, if you're doing multistep SCs with stacked SA/TA WS... I could see Aeneas situationally performing better on THF. At a much higher degree of difficulty than just spamming Rudra's, due to the JA use and positional requirements.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-03-30 15:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Not directly limited to this weapon discussion, just a general comment- I truly feel that compared to 4 and a half years ago (release of dyna-D), sets, job familiarity, and quality buffs can make almost any RMEA weapon work on any relevant content in the game today. Sure, there are exceptions- but the RP'ing of RMEAs took many that were considered weak then got a huge bump.

So while I completely understand the desire to break down numbers when debating investing time and gil into making an expensive weapon, I think we as the playerbase need to accept that there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat, and "best" is a very loose term that depends on way too many variables to be limited to just one gear slot.

....I'm also probably talking like this as a Vajra THF w/o a Twash and only a token swart in my R1 Aeneas^^
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [120 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Sukoshi
user: Vishnuff
By Bahamut.Sukoshi 2022-07-28 08:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

i have quick question ... got Aeneas and Mandau ... both R15.
Which one i should main hand ?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2022-07-28 08:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Sukoshi said: »
i have quick question ... got Aeneas and Mandau ... both R15.
Which one i should main hand ?

Probably aneas and the tp bonus weapon or a gleti's knife...
And the mandau probably main hand on the mannequin.
[+]
 Bahamut.Sukoshi
user: Vishnuff
By Bahamut.Sukoshi 2022-07-28 08:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank You /bow
 Bahamut.Spookyfish
By Bahamut.Spookyfish 2022-07-28 11:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinxs said: »
And the mandau probably main hand on the mannequin.

Then you have to look at it when ever you're in your mog house. Bottom of your Storage where nobody will ever know it's there.
 Bahamut.Kacil
user: Kacil
By Bahamut.Kacil 2022-07-28 11:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Tauret/Gleti's R7 and I'm impressed with the damage. I don't have Aeneas yet. In fact Tauret might even beat Mandau because of the beefy Eviscerations.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2022-07-28 11:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandau is for RDM
By DaneBlood 2022-07-28 13:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Not directly limited to this weapon discussion, just a general comment- I truly feel that compared to 4 and a half years ago (release of dyna-D), sets, job familiarity, and quality buffs can make almost any RMEA weapon work on any relevant content in the game today. Sure, there are exceptions- but the RP'ing of RMEAs took many that were considered weak then got a huge bump.

So while I completely understand the desire to break down numbers when debating investing time and gil into making an expensive weapon, I think we as the playerbase need to accept that there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat, and "best" is a very loose term that depends on way too many variables to be limited to just one gear slot.

....I'm also probably talking like this as a Vajra THF w/o a Twash and only a token swart in my R1 Aeneas^^

To add to this
I think there is often a misconception of what the purpose of numbers being debated.
A lot of the time the math is done to find the extreme "BiS" just for the sake of the math. people like running the numbers and the challenge to find something better, pushing the envelope.

So the debate about what is better is a more of a theoretical nature just looking at the best number for what eve scenario is being debated

Other people don't really like to do math. or its not as natural for them to debating on a theoretical plane. they just look for and answer for a situation in front of them.

in this difference in mental position is what often make a debate about what is the best becomes. Misinterpreted as what you should have. and then people start to invest emotion into it because "i am doing fine with this or that"

but the argument was never about what is acceptable or not, just about what is better or not.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [161 days between previous and next post]
By Slowforever 2023-01-05 13:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Its bis for exemplar pts (at least for thf), (kill speed unmatched in my testing with brd and cor or geo support) paired with twash or kraken oh, imo its worth tossing a stack and half into for r8/9ish and I would say this for all rema's. Even stuff like carn or the whm club which people say is a waste but don't forget accuracy breakpoints are a constant in this game.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-01-05 14:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

That's an interesting claim

Were you multistepping on a mob that absorbs darkness
First Page 2