Logging Japanese Text?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Logging Japanese text?
Logging Japanese text?
 Bismarck.Xavros
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: JasTx
By Bismarck.Xavros 2021-09-06 06:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, sorry if this is a dumb question or it's in the wrong place.
I've been using the logger addon for a while and noticed that it doesn't support Japanese text - all kana and kanji come out as garbled symbols. Because I'm using an EN client, auto-translated text shows up fine. It's not a massive deal but it'd be more convenient to be able to log Japanese text :)

As an example (names have been replaced):
Yeller[Mhaura]: Riftcinder, Miso Ramen and Voidhead: BST Do you need it? Bazaar Please check it.
[1]<Xavros> ���������܂��B���₷�݁[
[1]<Player 1> otu--

[1]<Player 2> ���₷�݁I

[1]<Player 3> ���‚��ꂳ�܁[

English text logs fine, but Japanese text doesn't. Is it possible to log English text as well as Japanese text?
 Ragnarok.Kenshi
Server: Ragnarok
user: KenshiDRK
By Ragnarok.Kenshi 2021-09-06 13:12:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It does log japanese text, it does work for me using notepad++ to open the log files, if you are using windows notepad it uses ANSI format by default and the game uses Shift-JIS, so either change the codification on windows notepad (I think you have to edit registry?) or use another text editor.
 Bahamut.Balduran
Server: Bahamut
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2021-09-06 13:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

This happens to me too occasionally. Most of the time Japanese text is properly logged, and sometimes it doesn't. Usually it fixes itself the next day.

@Kenshi, when it bugs, even if I use notepad++ to open the file, the Japanese text is still incorrect.

It's very random, but gladly it doesn't occur frequently.

@Xarvos, does logger translate that way all the time? if so, perhaps you might wanna pop into the windower support discord and seek out their assistance, Rubinator is a genius :)
 Ragnarok.Kenshi
Server: Ragnarok
user: KenshiDRK
By Ragnarok.Kenshi 2021-09-06 14:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Balduran said: »
This happens to me too occasionally. Most of the time Japanese text is properly logged, and sometimes it doesn't. Usually it fixes itself the next day.

@Kenshi, when it bugs, even if I use notepad++ to open the file, the Japanese text is still incorrect.

@Xarvos, does logger translate that way all the time? if so, perhaps you might wanna pop into the windower support discord and seek out their assistance, Rubinator is a genius :)

Did you try to change the codification on notepad++?
 Bismarck.Xavros
Server: Bismarck
user: JasTx
By Bismarck.Xavros 2021-09-06 19:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

asdfghuji lololol it was just a text editor problem... sometimes Notepad++ glitches, but if you change the encoding to ShiftJIS under encoding > character sets > Japanese then the problem is solved. In Visual Studio Code, pretty much the same issue. More on that here.

I didn't know about this, mb >_>
Thanks for the help!
 Bahamut.Balduran
Server: Bahamut
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2021-09-08 04:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kenshi said: »
Bahamut.Balduran said: »

Did you try to change the codification on notepad++?

I didn’t, I will try it next time! Ty Kenshi