Paralyze proc
First Page 2 3
 Siren.Corrin
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Corrin 2009-10-29 11:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I was talking to another rdm in limbus last night about the proc rate
of paralyze vs paralyze 2. I've honestly never given much thought to it, just assuming that with the same gear set and barring any resists on the same mob, paralyze 2 would proc more than paralyze. She said that from her observations it was the opposite.
Have I just completely missed the boat on this? Or is there any evidence to suggest one over the other?
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-10-29 11:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think the spells work the same way. Between you and me I think Paralyze II will proc once per every merit you put into it. That's assuming that a "paralyze effect" added with each merit actually means that it'll proc.

I have noticed like your friend said that paralyze I does proc more than II but I think that it will always proc more than only one merit put into para II.

Honestly, none of the rdm group II merits are with it worth only one merit put into them. That's why I wish you could save your merits and switch around based on what you would be doing. It's so hard to find a kick *** meritpo these days to replace them after lowering merits.

EDIT: I do need to correct myself here a sec and not really. The wiki offers some info on this but I always take those things with a grain of salt.

" As with reaching the cap on Slow II, the chance for Paralyze II to "proc" increases as the ratio of user MND to target MND increases. "

That's what the wiki says about this. I'm not sure if it just applies to only paralyze II or even if this is true at all.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-29 11:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Paulus said:
I don't think the spells work the same way. Between you and me I think Paralyze II will proc once per every merit you put into it. That's assuming that a "paralyze effect" added with each merit actually means that it'll proc. I have noticed like your friend said that paralyze I does proc more than II but I think that it will always proc more than only one merit put into para II. Honestly, none of the rdm group II merits are with it worth only one merit put into them. That's why I wish you could save your merits and switch around based on what you would be doing. It's so hard to find a kick *** meritpo these days to replace them after lowering merits.

Phalanx2 is worht only 1 merit. Dia3 kinda is since mostly just using it for a quick def down for some kind of burning usually.

Depends on the mob and mnd setup. I've noticed para2 seems to work better on harder mobs with lower mnd setups due to resist issues. Either way really need more merits into it.
 Siren.Corrin
Server: Siren
By Siren.Corrin 2009-10-29 11:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I have 3 merits into para 2. And yes I agree Dasva, para 2 does seem to be more accurate than para 1. Thanks for the input you two :).
 Valefor.Integral
Server: Valefor
user: Caliber
By Valefor.Integral 2009-10-29 11:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Paulus said:
I don't think the spells work the same way. Between you and me I think Paralyze II will proc once per every merit you put into it. That's assuming that a "paralyze effect" added with each merit actually means that it'll proc. I have noticed like your friend said that paralyze I does proc more than II but I think that it will always proc more than only one merit put into para II. Honestly, none of the rdm group II merits are with it worth only one merit put into them. That's why I wish you could save your merits and switch around based on what you would be doing. It's so hard to find a kick *** meritpo these days to replace them after lowering merits.

Phalanx2 is worht only 1 merit. Dia3 kinda is since mostly just using it for a quick def down for some kind of burning usually.

Depends on the mob and mnd setup. I've noticed para2 seems to work better on harder mobs with lower mnd setups due to resist issues. Either way really need more merits into it.

I know youse trollin about the phalanx2.. its worthless unless you do 5/5.. I only put 1 merit into para2 though and honestly my friends para1 would always proc a lot more and he said it was tier2 was useless
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-29 11:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:
I know youse trollin about the phalanx2.. its worthless unless you do 5/5.. I only put 1 merit into para2 though and honestly my friends para1 would always proc a lot more and he said it was tier2 was useless

Not necessarily. One merit means you can cast it. Five means it's good. So having Phalanx II at level one than not having Phalanx II, is hardly worthless.

Personally, I have noticed Paralyze II procs more often than Paralyze. I only have it at level one. But me and my friend use a near identical build for our "MND bomb" Paralyzes, and mine procs much more... He doesn't have Paralyze II. As Rowland is about to say in the post below me, Paralyze seems to last longer.

I personally have all spells @ 1 and Phalanx @ 5/5.
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-10-29 12:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

the whole point of phalanxing is to severely reduce the damage and if youre only going to 1/5ass it you could dump those merits into convert or slow 2 instead.. try salvaging as rdm someday! its 5/5 or let someone else do it
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-29 12:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:
the whole point of phalanxing is to severely reduce the damage and if youre only going to 1/5ass it you could dump those merits into convert or slow 2 instead.. try salvaging as rdm someday! its 5/5 or let someone else do it

You're missing my point. I said it's better to have Phalanx than no Phalanx. You're welcome to disagree, but stop implying I said Phalanx @ 5 > Phalanx @ 1.

Convert is Group 1 as well. Edit: Damnit Row stop it

As for salvage, Bawwwwwww QQQQ. That's one part of the game and I hardly need to be a salvage god to know what's good for my RDM.
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-10-29 12:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

well I think not meriting 5/5 phalanx2 comes down to laziness or not career rdming, so leave it to someone who cares if you dont!
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-29 12:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:
well I think not meriting 5/5 phalanx2 comes down to laziness or not career rdming, so leave it to someone who cares if you dont!

Check my profile. I have Phalanx 5/5. I'm not disagreeing with you, but you're missing my point.

Laziness also has nothing to do with it, somebody might use RDM for something else. God forbid people should play the game differently to you, eh?
[+]
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-10-29 12:12:17
Link | Quote | Reply

1 phalanx2 merit is -14 damage, assuming you dont have every piece of enhancing gear

-14 damage/hit is hardly worth 42 mp
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-29 12:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:
1 phalanx2 merit is -14 damage, assuming you dont have every piece of enhancing gear

-14 damage/hit is hardly worth 42 mp

But that -14 damage over 10 hits is -140 damage. When your tank dies, he can blame the RDM who thought no Phalanx 2 is better than Phalanx 2 Level 1.
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-10-29 12:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

and cure3 issssssss how much mp again?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-29 12:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:

I love people like you who just argue for the sake of it. Go away, this thread isn't even about Phalanx and you've made your point.
[+]
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-10-29 12:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Valefor.Integral said:

I love people like you who just argue for the sake of it. Go away, this thread isn't even about Phalanx and you've made your point.

I'm just saying.... 5/5 phalanx2 or gtfo

and in my experience with a buff mnd build, para1 is just the same if not better than 2, definitely not worth meriting~

I only had 2 jobs on this char so I knew them both intimately
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-29 12:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:
I'm just saying.... 5/5 phalanx2 or gtfo

*Sighs*

Why is Paralyze 2 not worth getting?
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-10-29 12:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

HEY I EDITED MY TOAST MAN D:<
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-29 12:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Just thinking logically, I can't imagine Paralyze would be the same as Paralyze II. What would be the point? There must be something that seperates the two spells and makes the higher tier more desirable.

From my personal experience, it seems to resist less. But that might just be me. I have no proof. If anyone has done any testing on this subject, I'd love to read / see / watch it.
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-10-29 12:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I had 1 para2, 4slow2, 5phalanx2 btw so perhaps mine wasnt the best but I wont be meriting it on my next char at all
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-29 12:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:

Or you don't use rdm in pts that much or the fact that little bit extra in most situtions wont matter 2 shits. Or you have better things to merit... Now this tells me your definitely trolling...
Valefor.Integral said:
you could dump those merits into convert instead

Lol convert merits
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-29 12:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Lol convert merits

=( I got 5/5 ._. Mainly because I only really used RDM for meripo back then. Now I use it for everything and solo a lot, might be time to bite the bullet and take them off.
 Caitsith.Alriath
Server: Caitsith
user: Alriath
By Caitsith.Alriath 2009-10-29 12:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Lol convert merits

=( I got 5/5 ._. Mainly because I only really used RDM for meripo back then. Now I use it for everything and solo a lot, might be time to bite the bullet and take them off.

Why would you take them off if you solo a lot as you say? 5/5 Ice 5/5 Vert, especially for a solo build. The difference with ParaII compared to ParaI(According to wiki atleast)is the amount of MND needed for potency of proc rate, which is less using ParaII. The best procfest I had was on Cactrot Rapido for 5 procs in a row using only a MACC set and capped para II.

Just my 2cents on this matter:P.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-29 12:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

5/5 Wind tempts me.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-29 12:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Alriath said:
Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Lol convert merits
Why would you take them off if you solo a lot as you say? 5/5 Ice 5/5 Vert, especially for a solo build.

Meh converting a little sooner vs landing gravity better?
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-10-29 12:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

lol why all the convert hate? with good gear and 8/8 enfeeb merits those accuracy ones are helping you a lot less than knocking a substantial chunk of time off convert
[+]
First Page 2 3