Game: FFXI
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-07 18:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Antipika said:
Quote:
This is what all BLMs should have,

Not really.

Morgana Chocker is useless for decent BLM, can reach 114 MND easily without it. Not useful for tarus too, not needed to force yellow. For non-taru it's a cool item yeah.

Grandiose Chain is a subpar resting item. Hi2u Phi Necklace (or Gnole Torque).

And you wouldn't use Elemental Torque for DoTs seriously, unless you reach 150 without using prudence in neck slot, which I doubt, and in that case it would be better to use Prudence in neck and use AF 1 hands instead. (http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=106057).

For non-tarus, basically to reach 150+INT ele enfeebles requires very good gear, or craming INT in every slot, which means losing a lot of skill. So personally I have 2 ele enfeeble sets, a 100+ INT with a decent amount of skill, and a 150+ INT set with low skill.

So I use the 100+ set for any target I would class as resistive and the 150+ set for weak mobs.

One day, with the right gear and a few more merits I hope to reach 150+ INT while maintaining a decent amount of skill, but for an NQ BLM like me, its too big a stretch (I feel sorry for Elvaan and Galkas).
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-11-07 18:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, off course if one cannot breach 150int, one better use as much skill as he can instead :)
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-07 18:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Antipika said:
Yeah, off course if one cannot breach 150int, one better use as much skill as he can instead :)

On a competely seperate note, as one of the most experienced BLM I know (in directly), what gear do you use to nuke Kirin.

I have recently been doing some sky and seem to be asked to come on BLM for most runs, so I am trying to sort out some effective sets for the gods. For the 4 outside gods I use a normal skill set (329 skill, 120 int), and I do reasonable damage (although resists are still painfully present).

But for Kirin I have tired my standard resistive mob set (329 skill, 120 INT) and super INT (324 skill, 130 INT), but niether really did well. I know his INT is ~150 so you get 'good' returns from stacking INT, but i would be interested to hear your view

N.B, I hope that makes sense, I have been out drinking as it is Bonfire night in the UK. :D
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-11-07 21:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

for kirin i just always stacked an assload of skill, 120 int doesn't really matter if he resists every nuke, but that's my opinion of him plus i'm taru and 120 int is quite easy to reach but yah... i'd go all out on skill and see how that does.
 Leviathan.Veronika
Server: Leviathan
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Veronika 2009-11-07 21:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Barrd said:
What do you think works better and y

Well, like mentioned by many people they both have their uses. Personally, I use elemental torque when I'm above 50% max mp, then switch to Ug. Pendant when I'm below. I also use elemental torque for elemental DoT debuffs like Burn, Choke, and Shock. Some people would say stack Int instead, but what's the point when you won't hit the next tier usually from a mere 3 more INT. For the record, i do have an enlightened chain for +int, but I don't use it for much. 3 Int isn't that noticable, but 7 skill certainly lowers resists a noticeable amount. I solo mostly, so resists get you killed... Adding like 10 points of damage won't change anything.
 Ramuh.Yimoa
Server: Ramuh
user: Yimoa
By Ramuh.Yimoa 2009-11-07 21:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Diabolos.Sovereign said:
Damn... I carry 7 neck peices at all times when playing BLM... and use each one of them constantly lol ~ Prudence Torque (standard nuking, low/mid resist mobs) ~ Ugg Pendant (only when latent is active) ~ Elemental Torque (Elemental DoT's and high resist HNM) ~ Enfeebling Torque (self explanatory) ~ Dark Torque (self explanatory) ~ Morgana's Choker (MND set for stoneskin, enhancing magic) ~ Beak Necklace +1 (resting/Max MP) Looking through my BLM gear, I see that I tend to carry 4-7 pieces for just about every slot (except ranged, which only gets one full time piece... phantom tathlum). Personally I feel BLM is such an overpowered job when geared and macro'd properly, I dont even know how some people can play it any other way lol
This. Personally I use Beak 1 for resting and Promise badge for stoneskin (but other than that we use the same)

Fixed.
Mind you morganas can be swapped to.
/Fixed.
 Ramuh.Yimoa
Server: Ramuh
user: Yimoa
By Ramuh.Yimoa 2009-11-07 21:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

/palmface sorry double post.(-_-;)
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-11-11 06:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Garuda.Antipika said:

On a competely seperate note, as one of the most experienced BLM I know (in directly), what gear do you use to nuke Kirin.

I have recently been doing some sky and seem to be asked to come on BLM for most runs, so I am trying to sort out some effective sets for the gods. For the 4 outside gods I use a normal skill set (329 skill, 120 int), and I do reasonable damage (although resists are still painfully present).

But for Kirin I have tired my standard resistive mob set (329 skill, 120 INT) and super INT (324 skill, 130 INT), but niether really did well. I know his INT is ~150 so you get 'good' returns from stacking INT, but i would be interested to hear your view

N.B, I hope that makes sense, I have been out drinking as it is Bonfire night in the UK. :D

Well I'm not doing any Kirin anymore (I left sky a while ago, and when I was there, Salvage/Nyzul didn't exists yet, and overall my stuff was "pre-toau" stuff).

But now iirc Kirin have like 120INT (double check that if you can), so it's advised to have 130INT (dINT+10) and then as much skill as you can. With my stuff nowadays I can reach this easily. On my high resist set I have 123INT (foodless (so 130INT w/ puff)) and 314 Skill + 10MaCC (so > 320 Skill), all these with a Neutral staff (meaning no +int / no +skill on the staff).

I barely get resisted on most NM, especially when using Aquilo's since I would get then 135 INT and 324skill+10MaCC.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-11 06:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Antipika said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
Garuda.Antipika said:

Well I'm not doing any Kirin anymore (I left sky a while ago, and when I was there, Salvage/Nyzul didn't exists yet, and overall my stuff was "pre-toau" stuff).

But now iirc Kirin have like 120INT (double check that if you can), so it's advised to have 130INT (dINT 10) and then as much skill as you can. With my stuff nowadays I can reach this easily. On my high resist set I have 123INT (foodless (so 130INT w/ puff)) and 314 Skill 10MaCC (so > 320 Skill), all these with a Neutral staff (meaning no int / no skill on the staff).

I barely get resisted on most NM, especially when using Aquilo's since I would get then 135 INT and 324skill 10MaCC.

Not many people fight him any more, most people have moved on. So it is hard to get decent info on him. A few friends and I are trying for w.legs so we are re-living 2004.

It's interesting to see you don't use AF(+1) gloves in your resist set.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-11-11 06:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it would break the full morrigan set so yeah. But again I can adapt my set in real time if needed, like if I experience lot of resists I'll switch to "no-full morrigan" and use AF+1 hands.

Since I have already "enough" skill/macc/int with full morrigan, I just keep using it.
 Unicorn.Vxsote
Server: Unicorn
user: VxSote
By Unicorn.Vxsote 2009-12-03 14:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Antipika said:
Quote:
This is what all BLMs should have,

Not really.

Morgana Chocker is useless for decent BLM, can reach 114 MND easily without it. Not useful for tarus too, not needed to force yellow. For non-taru it's a cool item yeah.

Grandiose Chain is a subpar resting item. Hi2u Phi Necklace (or Gnole Torque).

And you wouldn't use Elemental Torque for DoTs seriously, unless you reach 150 without using prudence in neck slot, which I doubt, and in that case it would be better to use Prudence in neck and use AF 1 hands instead. (http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=106057).

Edit: oops, my bad for not seeing the 2nd page; some of this has already been covered. But anyhow...

That's not all entirely accurate either. As a taru, my MND is pretty crappy. Additionally, I avoid swapping the head slow so I can cast my stoneskin during my RR hairpin cooldown. I don't carry devotee's or other MND hands, so in order to hit 114, I have to swap a neck item.

Now, in the case where you're not using a sorc. ring, you also want to avoid swapping any more of your hp->mp convert gear that you have to once you've rested or cured up to full. It doesn't make a lot of sense to drop your HP by 40 just to add 15 damage to your stoneskin. Of course, if you ARE going for sorc. ring latent, then this point isn't relevant.

And for elemental DoTs, the elemental torque absolutely IS useful. Very few BLMs are actually capable of using a 150 INT build, and those who aren't should be using the torque, period. BTW, the elemental debuffs CAN be partially resisted giving shorter duration. So it's not simply a matter of "if you can land it". Whatever INT tier you're aiming for, you still want to max your skill and accuracy.

Personally, I CAN hit 150 INT without an item in the neck slot. What I can't do is hit 150 with an elemental staff (instead of a kirin's pole) without a neck item. Once I get morrigan's pants, however, that will be enough to let me do so. Hell, I could do it now if I picked up some errant hands, but I use AF+1 instead. It's possible... it's just very difficult/expensive.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-12-03 21:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
That's not all entirely accurate either. As a taru, my MND is pretty crappy. Additionally, I avoid swapping the head slow so I can cast my stoneskin during my RR hairpin cooldown. I don't carry devotee's or other MND hands, so in order to hit 114, I have to swap a neck item.

I have morrigan feets that's why, +10 on feets slot helps a lot. Feets aren't that hard to get. Drop rate isn't that bad and it cost nothing to upgrade.
 Fenrir.Rinielenika
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Rinielenika 2009-12-03 22:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

............ everyone please dont flame me ;( I know I suck, but here's the following for me:

I sadly havent had elemental torque drop for me yet... so I dont have one. (I know I know I could go farm one... but since we do the BCNM Im just waiting for a drop... ^^;) My macros are currently full (and I dont use windower macros, I feel weird with them...) but I intend to fix them once I get elemental torque....

That being said, I dont do much end game.... so Im usually not resisted, and I dont have full elemental merits.

But I AM still resisted at times that really hurts...

Either way, for nuking I always have my lolUggy pendant on, again because I dont have anything else, and I SHOULD be using at least Enlightened chain, but I havent been able to macro it in right yet :/....

ANYWAYS TO MY POINTS:

most times Im okay without the additional elemental skill or such, Im OKAY... but not perfect. If you dont care to be full time, I'd say either or would be okay... if you're looking for numbers and arent a taru, most times 1-2 nukes will trigger your latent on uggy and still be okay. Just the first 1-2 nukes wont trigger it... which sucks :/

But if you dont care about damage and REALLY want lose some space... Yeah I GUESS you can drop either or... Again it depends on what you're looking for, and what you DO most as a BLM. If its merit PT's on puddings.... its not really going to matter too too much, as long as you are ready for the resists no matter what.

Depends on what kind of a person you are with your gear.

However, I agree with most other posters here. If you have the space/ability/have the items to macro it all in... DO IITTT it helps so much. Really.

*hides in shame of being a BLM but not making her macros better for her neck piece or some other slots too >.>;;*