users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » New Monk questions
New Monk questions
 Odin.Steelrdm
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Steelrdm 2021-03-27 20:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys. I know this has been asked alot. So I apologize for that. I just dinged 99 monk. Using homestead weapon for now. I am a returning player. I used to have 7 jobs at 75 and ran with the top LS on ifrit. That is how long ago it was. I am confused about the domain fights. Can someone provide a link for me to follow so I can work on getting my God hands? I figured that will be the fastest way to get me some decent enough gear to start endgame stuff.
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
Server: Leviathan
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-03-27 20:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

God Hands probably aren't the easiest thing to start with unless you have a group that'll run you through an Aeonic. That being said here's a link for domain invasion and starting on Aeonic

Domain Invasion
Aeonics

I'd probably start with Kaja Knuckles

Those should get you going and are much easier to get
[+]
 Shiva.Anoq
Server: Shiva
user: Lawson
By Shiva.Anoq 2021-03-28 02:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Karambit will be much better to start with as well as easier to get (if you can get/have a pulse weapon). Karambit are essentially just as good as Godhands and don't need all the extra Martial Arts from Mache Earring/JP for TP. Damage is comparable with GH as well.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [91 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Steelrdm
Server: Odin
By Odin.Steelrdm 2021-06-26 16:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info guys. I have been stuck at stage 4 for about 4 months now. I have all the materials to complete Karambit, just need the stupid pulse weapon. Argh...I still have a ton of gear I want/need for Monk of course but the fact I don't have a pulse weapon yet is killing me. I have spammed the Special gob key and Mars/Venus orbs and no luck so far. I think I will try my hand at Nyzul isle next. I have continued to spam Ambuscade as well. I have 2 monk back pcs. so far. Working on some other jobs now. I have the full set of +2 Mummu gear and a couple of the other monk ones +2 as well. cant remember the names of them but start with an N I believe. anyway, Thanks and any tips on pulse weapons that isnt posted everywhere would be appreciated. Like which T3 NM's drop pulse weapons that Monk can solo with trusts the easiest/fastest?
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-26 16:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you're going to have a miserable time soling any pulse weapon. ***vorseals, no good buffs, kaja knuckles, probably no TH, sounds like a bad time.

Just assumed you'd buy it and be done. So much easier to make money for it, than get it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2021-06-26 16:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Steelrdm said: »
Thanks for the info guys. I have been stuck at stage 4 for about 4 months now. I have all the materials to complete Karambit, just need the stupid pulse weapon. Argh...I still have a ton of gear I want/need for Monk of course but the fact I don't have a pulse weapon yet is killing me. I have spammed the Special gob key and Mars/Venus orbs and no luck so far. I think I will try my hand at Nyzul isle next. I have continued to spam Ambuscade as well. I have 2 monk back pcs. so far. Working on some other jobs now. I have the full set of +2 Mummu gear and a couple of the other monk ones +2 as well. cant remember the names of them but start with an N I believe. anyway, Thanks and any tips on pulse weapons that isnt posted everywhere would be appreciated. Like which T3 NM's drop pulse weapons that Monk can solo with trusts the easiest/fastest?

Get your voidwatch clears done, then buy 5 pulse cells or whatever they are called, from AH or bazaars, you will need 5 of the same type. then turn them into the NPC in jugner forest behind the outpost. Quickest way, can use any pulse weapon.

Or spam the ***out of the behemoth NM in escha-zitah. He's a pretty easy solo. But drop rate is abysmal.

You also will get a pulse weapon once you have reached enough deeds of heroism, complete those monthly RoE's for that.
[+]
 Cerberus.Darkvlade
Server: Cerberus
user: Darkvlade
By Cerberus.Darkvlade 2021-06-26 21:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If you been doing monthly deeds at 170 deeds can get a free pulse
[+]
 Bahamut.Suph
Server: Bahamut
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2021-06-27 01:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

NNI campaign is on, I've already given away 3 pulses this month and I don't think i've done more than a dozen NNI this time around.

Should be easiest way to get pulse for the next few days before campaign end
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-06-27 04:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Odin.Steelrdm said: »

But drop rate is abysmal.

Really wouldn't say so especially compared to every other dropped source of pulse weapons. Around 1/50 in my experience and I've farmed a lot of them. Can typically burn through 20-25 of them an hour if you're doing decent enough damage and you'll end up getting it eventually. That said it will be difficult without some help at the OP's gear level which is really rough.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-06-27 06:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I merced a pretty insane amount of beads when aeonics were new using Shockmaw, and typically saw 1-2 lances per set(260-280 kills). I really don't think it's anywhere near 1/50, unless behemoth droprate is higher for some reason. That said, I fully agree that it's still the most effective way to farm a pulse, especially because beads are dual purpose for most people who still need pulses.

Keep in mind that even if he has long fights, as long as he can kill it consistantly he's saving 30m minimum on cells. There's not much you can do to exceed 1m/hr these days as a single boxer with entry gear, so even 4 kills an hour is likely a better deal than farming gil for cells.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-27 06:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not even sure a single box can, let alone with any efficiency, kill a pulse dropping zitah mob. Probably talking well under acc. And trust "tanks" (probably no august/aaev) getting one shot.

To much unknown information.

Odin is one of the higher pop servers, would've went for NNI/mars sold drop for less than cells. (or the 170 deed freebie, indeed, they've been active long enough to hit that)
By Pantafernando 2021-06-27 06:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You should always farm some merits here and there just in case you eventually need the pulse at some point. Good enough byproduct is the JP earned in the process.

Also, if you can properly prepare, you can do the easy deeds on multiples 1$ mules and have them ready when you need it.

You surely wont do all 4 deeds every month but its reasonably doing at least 2. So, if you invest on those 1$ mules for 8~10 months, you can have up to 15 pulses by the end of the year.

When multiboxing and all chars need one though, I dont think its that terribly bad doing VW during campaign provided you can quickly kill super fast, in less than a minute
[+]
By Pantafernando 2021-06-27 07:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw this topic isnt that much MNK related.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-27 07:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

"how can a monk get a pulse weapon" is pretty on point I'd say tbh
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2021-06-27 08:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

OP, I know you specifically asked about Karambit/pulse... but 4 months? Someone should have told you to make Verethragna in that time.
By Shichishito 2021-06-27 09:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

sounds like soloing T3 zitah is still going to be tough. with ambu +2 set you should have no trouble to solo VW NMs that drop pulse weapon like quilin, maybe you get lucky and get a pulse. if you get lots of plates instead you can either sell them and buy pulse or change course for verethragna.

i've also heard of ppl who join job point bot parties and accumulate merits that way, if you that kind of guy... thats probably more expensive than buying the pulse directly but you also get jobs mastered (i think it takes longer to get the merits needed than it takes to master a single job, more like 2 maybe a bit more? not sure).
[+]
 Bahamut.Suph
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2021-06-27 23:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like it would be cheaper to pay for a Godhands merc than to pay for enough job point party for 25,000 potpurri?
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2021-06-28 01:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Suph said: »
I feel like it would be cheaper to pay for a Godhands merc than to pay for enough job point party for 25,000 potpurri?

Cells were going for 5mil each when I went that route, 25 mil to get a full ambu weapon. They may have different prices now.

Edit: Jesus people are paying/mercing for potpourri now?.......
By Shichishito 2021-06-28 08:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Suph said: »

guess you can cut costs if you time exp campaigns, gain exp and set all RoEs that make sense for the camp.

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Jesus people are paying/mercing for potpourri now?.......
is there anything ppl don't pay for in FFXI?
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [140 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Otomis
By Asura.Otomis 2021-11-14 19:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I think about kick attacks wrong?

TO me it reads as if Kick Attack + grants extra attack round similar to Double attack? But I see in many of the gear sets guides most are not using kick attack gear in Haste sets, and many times not even in haste sets with Footwork up or in TP WS sets when using Tornado kick. Am I missing something or are kick attacks just not that great?
By Nariont 2021-11-14 19:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

kick attacks+ works like DA and such
kick attacks -attack-+ is +DMG on kicks

Reason why you dont see KA TP sets is that KA only procs at the end of an attack round, TA/DA will proc on both hits potentially, and the pieces with KA+ often have a strong TA option as well, feet slot in particular has several TA options. Even with FW up you still have that TP gap.

Now as far as tornado/dragon kick WS sets, AF boots should always be in there due to the high dmg increase
[+]
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2021-11-14 20:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
kick attacks+ works like DA and such
A few key things that I say made it very different then Double attack.
Kick attack can only proc once per attack round (DA is twice, once a fist)
Kick attack rate has no effect on WS (DA can proc on WS)
Kick attack damage is base h2h (0DMG+)
[+]
 Asura.Otomis
By Asura.Otomis 2021-11-14 21:41:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you both, that makes more sense. I have near perfect aug (6% TA)on herculean boots, will keep using those. -
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-11-14 21:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably worth mentioning just for clarity's sake that any feet armor that has "Kick attacks attack +X" (which translates to base kick damage +X) on it *will* affect weapon skill damage for Dragon/Tornado Kick when Footwork is up.
[+]