Final Fantasy XI: Paladin Video Guide By Ruaumoko

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Final Fantasy XI: Paladin Video Guide by Ruaumoko
Final Fantasy XI: Paladin Video Guide by Ruaumoko
By RadialArcana 2020-10-30 06:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

A great video guide to Paladin by Ruaumoko

YouTube Video Placeholder

Part 2

[+]
By ksoze 2020-10-30 09:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

seriously...

this is how i found out hahaha
By HyperKTM 2020-10-30 10:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats a stayve? Great vid enjoyed it alot
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-10-30 10:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

HyperKTM said: »
Whats a stayve? Great vid enjoyed it alot

Is this a serious, or a "lol staff" comment.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-10-30 14:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

As a career PLD I still learned a few things from that video, so I really appreciate the effort Rua put into it (as he always does). Can't believe he doesn't have an Ochain though!
 Asura.Truece
user: Truece
By Asura.Truece 2020-10-30 14:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m curious about his comment at ~43:25 where he states that poisonga from /DRK won’t wake slept mobs. Is the assumption that all targets will resist?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-10-30 14:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Truece said: »
I’m curious about his comment at ~43:25 where he states that poisonga from /DRK won’t wake slept mobs. Is the assumption that all targets will resist?

Obviously
[+]
 Carbuncle.Blazer
Server: Carbuncle
user: blazey
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2020-10-30 15:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

As someone who hasn't kept up on retail too much. Is Excal/Burt not efficient anymore? He didn't mention them in the sword/shield section nor did I see him use them.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-10-30 15:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Excal is junk. Burt is still useful, but it's costly in terms of both gil and time, so making one for a bottom of the barrel job is questionable(you could spend that time/gil making a RUN). If you already have it, or just really love PLD's aesthetics, certainly use it though.
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-10-30 17:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a bad guide. I'm not the most experienced paladin but this seems like a good resource. On hybrid builds, which Rua touched on just a little, I've been messing with it for the past couple of weeks (hybrid melee dps w/ capped DT plus Savage Blade). It's fun and very viable on lower-tier content. On higher stuff I wouldn't bother, the added damage isn't worth the extra damage taken, or HP loss. Even for rune fencer your dps is not always going to be a significant contribution, and that's even more the case with paladin.

Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
As a career PLD I still learned a few things from that video, so I really appreciate the effort Rua put into it (as he always does). Can't believe he doesn't have an Ochain though!

Ochain is still very useful, I used it on wave 3's to supertank, since much of the dangerous stuff is physical WS from Volte. You just have to remember to swap shields if you get a pull with dangerous casters, or hope your mages are fast with Silence. It's good for certain Ambuscades too. I'm sure you can tank this stuff in Priwen but Ochain is still so nice for mitigating physical damage.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2020-10-30 19:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

This guide is rather good.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-10-31 00:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

ksoze said: »
seriously...

this is how i found out hahaha

I'd love to just ask Ruaumoko if there is a reason he doesn't make threads here when he makes the video public?

I always think this when someone jumps to make a thread topic here for one of Rua's videos. It's like... he has a FFXIAH account. He obviously can edit a video and upload it to youtube so making a thread here isn't some technological marvel that is beyond him.

Is it that he wants to keep comments/replies focused on the youtube threads so he can unlist the video and make edits later if there is a glaring mistake? Is it that he doesn't give a ***if someone links his videos in this forum? Is it a secret Illuminati conspiracy? NO! IT CAN'T BE! IT'S NOT ALIENS, IS IT???

By RadialArcana 2020-10-31 03:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Self promotion can be seen as "tacky", spam or self serving to get views / ad-revenue. If someone else does it you bypass that kind of reaction.
By Ruaumoko 2020-10-31 05:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
Can't believe he doesn't have an Ochain though!
Getting the Daurdabla put me off Abyssea for a while, probably should just go get the Ochain though. I also wanted to see first-hand how PLD could do the highest level content without it. I think some new players get put off by the adage that "Ochain or don't bother on PLD", so encouraging them to try with visual examples and explanations seemed the right thing to do.

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Excal is junk.
Since I uploaded this video three people have contacted me in Discord with sets which put Block Rate to 100% on Lv.150 targets with Reprisal active. They all feature an R15 Excalibur. I'll address this in the follow-up when I have first-hand experience.

Asura.Aeonova said: »
I'd love to just ask Ruaumoko if there is a reason he doesn't make threads here when he makes the video public?

Is it that he wants to keep comments/replies focused on the youtube threads so he can unlist the video and make edits later if there is a glaring mistake? Is it that he doesn't give a ***if someone links his videos in this forum?
I leave it to my audience to decide whether my work is worth sharing or not. You're not far off on the other point. My guides especially tend to go through a first draft and get uploaded as a private video I PM to certain people on Discord for fact checking (Martel this time).
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-10-31 11:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
Since I uploaded this video three people have contacted me in Discord with sets which put Block Rate to 100% on Lv.150 targets with Reprisal active. They all feature an R15 Excalibur. I'll address this in the follow-up when I have first-hand experience.
I'd like to note that Excalibur is in no way required to hit 100% block rate on lvl 150 mobs.

Did some math just now, and it should be possible to cap Ochain's block rate on 150 mobs, reprisal up, with +30 skill(+15 neck and +15 hands) and +10 block+. You could use Excalibur to get the block+10. But you could also use a block augmented cape(+8) then either an earring(Thureous, or augmented zwazo+1) or souveran feet. And free up the weapon slot for Burtgang.
[+]
By Taint 2020-10-31 12:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Excal has the silky refresh and a WS with good properties.

Burt plus capped block is pretty overkill. Pdt2 in general is pretty meh. The sexy emn is hard to knock though.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-10-31 12:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah Burt is mostly for the emn and reduced emn loss. The pdt2 is largely meh outside of stuff like dyna-d. You can use your defensive CDs for most things that do heavy physical damage.

Honestly, the biggest problem with Excal is Savage Blade is kinda OP right now. But the sword does have good stats for a PLD trying to do some damage. We're probably the most attack starved job in the game and Excal has 60. And the regen/refresh are nice when you're doing lower man content.
 Asura.Wotasu
user: Wotasu
By Asura.Wotasu 2020-11-04 06:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Just for fun I went and sat at Onychophora for ~20min before I accidently did light skillchain when AM3 was up c.c
Burtgang/Ochain
Total 558 Shield Skill(with Reprisal)(+46 in gear), +5 Block on Cape.
50/68(Burt) PDT.
~3300HP (no vorseal).
Easy to adjust set for other gear to keep pdt and not dropping to much HP.
Code
ammo="Staunch Tathlum +1",
head={ name="Souv. Schaller +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
body={ name="Souv. Cuirass +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
hands={ name="Souv. Handsch. +1", augments={'HP+65','Shield skill +15','Phys. dmg. taken -4',}}, -- +15
legs={ name="Souv. Diechlings +1", augments={'HP+105','Enmity+9','Potency of "Cure" effect received +15%',}},
feet="Rev. Leggings +3", -- +21
neck={ name="Kgt. Beads +2", augments={'Path: A',}},
waist="Flume Belt +1",
left_ear="Tuisto Earring",
right_ear="Foresti Earring", -- +10
left_ring={name="Moonlight Ring", bag="Wardrobe 4", priority=1},
right_ring={name="Moonlight Ring", bag="Wardrobe 1", priority=1},
back={ name="Rudianos's Mantle", augments={'HP+60','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','HP+20','Enmity+10','Chance of successful block +5',}},

Only got hit 2 times w/o "Blocked!", one time when Reprisal wore off when I wasnt paying attention, and 2nd time when I did a ws.
This is basically the same set as Lexouritis posted in July. Which Martel mathed out to 101.465% vs Lv150.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-11-04 08:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Gosh I love Rua's guides. They actually feel like "guides": chock-full of information that's easy to digest and help anyone make decisions wherever they are. Too many other guides out there tend to just say "use this item" without ever explaining what stats make the item useful. What if I can't get that item? What if I have a similar item, but am not sure if it's actually good or not?

They're also a stark reminder of how beautifully intricate the game is. It's so refreshing to have enough depth that it isn't just web of cooldowns you mash as they light-up like Electronic Simon.
[+]
By Pilipinoboi 2020-11-05 12:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, Ruau's videos helped empower my return to FFXI in 2016 after over a 3 year+ hiatus. How he's setup his job guide series and content related videos (ambuscade, omen, and general low-man or trust scenario battles.) Are super helpful to those considering a return since most forums / job guides are outdated by now. I still do take periodic breaks from FFXI but I can definitely count on Ruau's videos to put me back to speed!

Playing with him and being part of some of the videos eventually was just icing on the cake. Thanks Ruau for your continued efforts!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [161 days between previous and next post]
By RadialArcana 2021-04-15 14:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Part 2.

[+]
By SimonSes 2021-04-16 02:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quoting my youtube comment, since people here will probably answer faster:

Quote:
Very nice guide.
One thing that makes me wonder tho is what you said about enmity from nukes at 17:20 Whats your source for this? I know magic WSs work like that (the enmity is based on base damage before multipliers), but I have never heard anything about damage from spells working the same. I think I heard something about magic bursts having much less enmity, but Im not sure if thats connected to magic bursting itself, or magic bursting on BLM (enmity-20 on magic burst from Job points)
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-04-16 04:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Quoting my youtube comment, since people here will probably answer faster:

Quote:
Very nice guide.
One thing that makes me wonder tho is what you said about enmity from nukes at 17:20 Whats your source for this? I know magic WSs work like that (the enmity is based on base damage before multipliers), but I have never heard anything about damage from spells working the same. I think I heard something about magic bursts having much less enmity, but Im not sure if thats connected to magic bursting itself, or magic bursting on BLM (enmity-20 on magic burst from Job points)
As you may have suspected, he's just got that one wrong. I messaged Rua about it as soon as I heard that part.

Enmity from magic damage, and specifically from nukes, is identical to regular physical damage.

Magic Bursts in general(not just BLM) do have vastly reduced enmity, but regular nukes have normal enmity generation. And magic bursts don't work anything like elemental WS on that front. It's not a matter of dmg before multipliers or anything, but just a large reduction on the total enmity generation from the magic burst's damage.
By Ruaumoko 2021-04-16 04:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats your source for this? I know magic WSs work like that (the enmity is based on base damage before multipliers), but I have never heard anything about damage from spells working the same.

Martel called me up on this as well, I could have explained it better. I didn't know that Magic Bursts generated reduced enmity until literally a few days ago myself.
By Draylo 2021-04-16 04:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Been telling people Naegling for ages, everyone keeps recommending turtle weapons, ain't nobody got time.
By SimonSes 2021-04-16 05:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Been telling people Naegling for ages, everyone keeps recommending turtle weapons, ain't nobody got time.

Quoting myself again lol

Quote:
Also my point of view on PLD dding. While Sakpata improved PLD dps, it also improved survivability of WAR, DRK and other DDs (with Nyame instead of Sakpata) to the point that in 90% of scenario where PLD can use hybrid set and DD, you can just use any DD with Sakpata or Nyame and dont use "true" tank at all.

People recommend turtle weapons, because they recommend weapons for scenario where PLD (and tank in general) is actually needed. You can use Neagling for Omen bosses, but you can also simply use most DD in hybrid set for Omen bosses.
By Draylo 2021-04-16 07:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

That has been the case for many many years now, there is barely anything that a tank is "needed" but it provides more safety and flexibility in the strat/setup.
 Bahamut.Belkin
Server: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2021-04-16 07:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

People recommend turtle weapons, because they recommend weapons for scenario where PLD (and tank in general) is actually needed. You can use Neagling for Omen bosses, but you can also simply use most DD in hybrid set for Omen bosses.

For sure. PLD can be a pseudo-tank/B list DD now which is nice for a good number of things, but turtle weapon (specifically Burtgang) still has major utility. There are plenty of situations where tank isn't going to have any DD buffs at all or just isn't looking to deal damage. Naegling provides nothing for those situations unfortunately. I still rock Burtgang for most things I do on PLD.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [249 days between previous and next post]
By Kaleen75014 2021-12-21 07:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Any news on the excal/priwen tests ?