FFXI On Linux (Ubuntu/Zorin)

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI on Linux (Ubuntu/Zorin)
FFXI on Linux (Ubuntu/Zorin)
By billnes 2020-09-20 13:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello All,

A few weeks ago, I found a Dell Precision M2400 in a local thrift shop. After getting a 128Gb SSD from the local Microcenter for a whopping (lol) $17, I decided to put the Ubuntu-based Zorin OS 15.3 on it.

I would like to put FFXI onto it so I went to the STEAM website. It appears that STEAM is only going to allow the game to be installed to Windows 7, 8.x and 10.

The Zorin site says that the OS supports WINE and I've seen post here that say the Windows install will work on WINE... If anybody has any suggestions or can point me towards any articles of postings, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Aliekber
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Aliekber
By Carbuncle.Aliekber 2020-09-20 18:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I installed (non-Steam) Windows FFXI on Linux a few years ago using WINE, and I don't recall it being much trouble. The downside to FFXI on Linux is that (last I checked) you won't be able to get Windower 4 working on it due to some gaps in Mono.
 Siren.Fndragon
Server: Siren
user: fndragon
By Siren.Fndragon 2020-09-20 19:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I installed it via steam this past month on Fedora. Ran fine. Only issue with the steam version is that it enables the steam overlay automatically so shift-tab will open the overlay, not move the targetting cursor to the left one target...
 Asura.Epigram
Server: Asura
user: jlisic
By Asura.Epigram 2020-09-20 21:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

I just made a quick video of running around in FFXI with Ashita using Ubuntu 20.04. This is using wine from apt. Note, that I don't have any macros or ashitacast setup so enjoy my painful play style.

The key things you need to do:

1.Run FFXI in full screen mode.

2. Setup wine through winecfg or w/e to used a fixed res desktop.

3. Use the injector to run Ashita like
wine ./injector.exe 'Retail (Fullscreen_.xml'
[+]
 Leviathan.Psymia
Server: Leviathan
user: Psymia
By Leviathan.Psymia 2020-09-22 02:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Very nice. I never got around to get it running with ashita.
I assume all the plugins work as expected (since they run in the context of wine)?
 Asura.Epigram
user: jlisic
By Asura.Epigram 2020-09-22 08:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

All the plugins that I have used work as expected. I haven't tested multisend yet, my guess is that it wouldn't work.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2020-09-22 14:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it several months ago on zorin. was very easy out of the box. Did not use steam installer, just downloaded installer off playonline. I didn't do any special wine configuration either... well it prompted for it when i went to install, so I clicked yes. I was mostly just testing how smooth the experience would be. I was rather impressed with Zorin OS.

windower ofcourse doesn't work. I didn't try ashita though.

Problem is I haven't touched the machine in months now.. and I don't remember my password on it...
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-09-23 21:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]