Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 07:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Sharing data is being a *** now. Duly noted.

Sharing unsolicited information in a public manner for all to see, always has and always will be cunty, not a new thing.
Frankly, I never cared. Played 12 years with mostly pugs, never once did my feefees get hurt because someone posted that I was last place.
By soralin 2020-09-17 07:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

These statements are about on par with "Well I dont mind when my guest puts their feet up on my table at my home, therefore, it must be okay for me to put my feet up on the table at a restaurant!"
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 07:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

These statements are about on par with "Well I dont mind when my guest puts their feet up on my table at my home, therefore, it must be okay for me to put my feet up on the table at a restaurant!"
Sure, it's exactly like that. You people are really good at analogies. Have a participation trophy.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Razziel
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2020-09-17 07:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

that's a perfect analogy dork
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 08:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Look, like i said in my first comment on here, the guy who posted the numbers is probably a meh player who hangs out with weaker player just to look good. However, if you do see someone posting a parse that you didn't ask for, don't let it get to you.
You can't control what other people do, but you can control your own reaction.
By RadialArcana 2020-09-17 08:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I do a lot of content with randoms, I do a lot of mid tier content where well geared players mix with casual players and I see the reaction these things have.

The point of the thread was to inform people who don't understand why what they are doing would annoy people, if they care. If you don't care then do whatever you want.

The thread was aimed at people who may not realize how others think of it and may then not do something that potentially ruins parties, that's all.

If you still want to do it, you do it. Nobody can stop you, however don't cry if the people you annoy report you to a GM and you get banned.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 08:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »

If you still want to do it, you do it. Nobody can stop you, however don't cry if the people you annoy report you to a GM and you get banned.

I don't use parsers, so it doesn't affect me. But damn, people get so butthurt they will actually try to murder someone's character for this? Thanks for the head-up. I'll never help people again if it means they might try to get me banned for it.

Edit: I would also like to point out that you basically just said that if someone posts a parse, other people will react with an, "I'd like to speak to your manager."

My analogy from earlier worked perfectly.
By soralin 2020-09-17 08:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

"feefees"

"You people"

"I'd like to speak to your manager"

You've made it clear what sort of perspective you bring to the table, with your choice of words.

You were not the target audience of this thread, so your opinions dont hold much value
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 08:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

"You people" is not a bad thing. I literally used it because "You guys" would have been offensive. Seriously, what should I have used?
By soralin 2020-09-17 08:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

"You people" is not a bad thing. I literally used it because "You guys" would have been offensive. Seriously, what should I have used?

Is this a rhetorical question, or do you actually not know?

Protip: "You people" is both grammatically rough, and typically also associated with some heavy negative connotations. It's a phrase you probably want to avoid if you want to be taken seriously.

Say whatever you were generalizing, though typically that also will not make it much better, it will just make your attempt at a generalization more transparent and obvious, less easy to skim over if you will.

If you're specifically searching for referring to "The people posting in this thread" then you would use "The people posting in this thread"

"You people" typically is taken to mean more than the immediate crowd, and pretty much always is taken to be:

I want to say <insert generalized group of people", but I know saying that is offensive, so I'll use the slightly more generalized term so I can quickly safely backpedal when called out on it with a "No no I didnt mean it THAT way I uh, I meant it THIS way, yeah!"
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 09:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this a rhetorical question, or do you actually not know?

Protip: "You people" is both grammatically rough, and typically also associated with some heavy negative connotations. It's a phrase you probably want to avoid if you want to be taken seriously.

Say whatever you were generalizing, though typically that also will not make it much better, it will just make your attempt at a generalization more transparent and obvious, less easy to skim over if you will.

If you're specifically searching for referring to "The people posting in this thread" then you would use "The people posting in this thread"

"You people" typically is taken to mean more than the immediate crowd, and pretty much always is taken to be:

I want to say <insert generalized group of people", but I know saying that is offensive, so I'll use the slightly more generalized term so I can quickly safely backpedal when called out on it with a "No no I didnt mean it THAT way I uh, I meant it THIS way, yeah!"
I know people think "you people" is wrong, but then they also decided that "you guys" is wrong. Those making the rules have not offerend an alternative. Therefore, I use "you people" in the way that I used to use it in the 80's and 90's, back before it was bad. Don't take things away from people without offering an alternative.
"The people posting in this thread" is just so long to type. It is not an alternative for a coloqueal term.
Can't we just talk anymore without having extra meaning added to the words we use?
Anyways, whatever, I don't want to derail. All I wanted to do was offer an opposing opinion. If a party was fun and everyone had a good time, then letting your night be ruined just because you saw the numbers, is a waste. But if people want to get upset and feel bad, I can't help that. I've never posted a parse and will continue to not do so. But I will also continue to not care if someone else does.
 Bahamut.Solstafir
Server: Bahamut
user: Solstafir
By Bahamut.Solstafir 2020-09-17 09:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said:
I know people think "you people" is wrong, but then they also decided

Immediately after having it pointed out to you, you started doing it again. You're engaging in the "social justice" conversation with someone who was not coming from that angle. You have started to merge various other people together into "you people" in your head and also outwardly, kind of showcasing exactly what Soralin was getting at.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 09:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Solstafir said: »
Bismarck.Laurelli said:

Immediately after having it pointed out to you, you started doing it again. You're engaging in the "social justice" conversation with someone who was not coming from that angle. You have started to merge various other people together into "you people" in your head and also outwardly, kind of showcasing exactly what Soralin was getting at.
What, because I said "people?" Ok, whatever. Like I said, I just think you shouldn't feel bad if you didn't perse that well after a fun party. But I honestly don't care anymore. You win. Feel as bad as you like.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 10:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

But damn, people get so butthurt they will actually try to murder someone's character for this? Thanks for the head-up.
Hi, you must be new to the 2000s. There are literally people out there murdering other people's careers in real life for not having the perceived "correct thought process" as others demand.

This is nothing compared to what is happening to society today.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2020-09-17 10:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Was wondering how long it would take for this thread to start heading this way, and now I know
[+]
By Solstafir 2020-09-17 10:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said:

What, because I said "people?" Ok, whatever. Like I said, I just think you shouldn't feel bad if you didn't perse that well after a fun party. But I honestly don't care anymore. You win. Feel as bad as you like.
Who are you talking to? Serious question.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 10:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

"You people" in my context referred to those that were arguing that posting numbers is a mean thing to do. There was no nefarious meaning. Then "people think" meant "some humans think." But honestly, I don't care anymore.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-17 10:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

the FFXIAH lazy river of thread evolution always ends up in the roaring rapids of racism, if given enough time.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 10:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
Was wondering how long it would take for this thread to start heading this way, and now I know
It's been like this since page 6!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 10:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
the FFXIAH lazy river of thread evolution always ends up in the roaring rapids of racism, if given enough time.
Just like Twitter!
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-17 10:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

original statement> elitist insult> "what about the children?" plea> "no u"> dead puppies> "she was askin for it" rape arguments> slight re-rail of topic> racism.

This is the road map we assist to develop.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 10:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought we skipped the "dead puppies" argument on this one.

Or are you talking about general FFXIAH forum activity? Cause if you did, you forgot to put in politics into the road map.
 Bahamut.Solstafir
Server: Bahamut
user: Solstafir
By Bahamut.Solstafir 2020-09-17 10:45:51
Link | Quote | Reply

"You people" in my context referred to those that were arguing that posting numbers is a mean thing to do. There was no nefarious meaning. Then "people think" meant "some humans think." But honestly, I don't care anymore.
I more meant when you told me I "won" and I could "feel as bad as I liked" when I have no other posts in this thread. Which was a bit confusing, admittedly, so I asked who you were talking to, because it certainly was not actually me.

Alternatively, this showcases the confusion of trying to juggle too many third person pronouns at the same time in a conversation. Especially when half of them are referring to nebulous groups of people without clearly defined lines. Just a big mess.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-17 10:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Or are you talking about general FFXIAH forum activity? Cause if you did, you forgot to put in politics into the road map.

oh no, we had dead puppies in this thread, too.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 10:47:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Alternatively, this showcases the confusion of trying to juggle too many third person pronouns at the same time in a conversation. Especially when half of them are referring to nebulous groups of people without clearly defined lines. Just a big mess.
Isn't that what Rook's text replacer program is for?
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-17 10:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it was there. Followed up by an asshat comment thinking he's the cleverest internet troll of all time.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 10:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

oh no, we had dead puppies in this thread, too.
too lazy; didn't read.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 10:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Followed up by an asshat comment thinking he's the cleverest *** hat troll of all time.
Well that's asinine. I guarantee you and everyone else that that title will never leave my grasp.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 10:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I more meant when you told me I "won" and I could "feel as bad as I liked" when I have no other posts in this thread. Which was a bit confusing, admittedly, so I asked who you were talking to, because it certainly was not actually me.

The thread won. I'm out.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-17 10:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Besides, I think we all can agree that this thread is going to be locked pretty soon anyway.

So, get your "in b4 the lock" gifs in while you can.

[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9