Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 12:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Mattelot said: »
I've never seen anyone parse in Ambu.

Well I do especially if Im the person making the party playing brd and geo. Usually for N-D it really doesn't matter but for VD it might depending on the month, Especially if we are losing

That's pretty weird. I mean, you can usually tell by someone's gear if they're going to be adequate for Ambu, which is easy anyway.

Ive seen enough people with R15s, Relic+3 AF+3 not worth anything
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 12:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Never one had anyone parse Ambu, even VD. We usually plow through it anyway (not saying in a bragging way) but if we need a random body, can usually always tell by their gear if they're up for it. I've not partied with anyone who had really good gear who didn't play well.

To each is their own, I guess.

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »

Not I. I guess it all depends on them or us. If someone sets their own personal standards to some ridiculous level, that would make sense.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-11 12:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't really parse in CP PUG group because those are players yet to reach their potential; It would not make sense to hold them to a standard when they are clearly trying to better themselves. Parsing Ambu VD is common. Omen does not matter, too many things conflict with it (aoe jobs, magic strats, Fu taking absurd damage, Kin absorbing, etc). Dynamis is fine but it's also going to be a lagfest on some occasions, and it's not a fair representation when the group is constantly moving around.

Ambu is the most reasonable place to "parse PUGs".

Not I. I guess it all depends on them or us. If someone sets their own personal standards to some ridiculous level, that would make sense.

Some players simply are not good. Just saw a Shedu shout for R15 DDs and 4 song BRD last night. Those fights have been out for years and are not challenging with one extra support job. Yet, people STILL need the highest standard possible to feel comfortable winning.
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
Server: Asura
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-11 12:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
You don't really parse in CP PUG group because those are players yet to reach their potential; It would not make sense to hold them to a standard when they are clearly trying to better themselves. Parsing Ambu VD is common. Omen does not matter, too many things conflict with it (aoe jobs, magic strats, Fu taking absurd damage, Kin absorbing, etc). Dynamis is fine but it's also going to be a lagfest on some occasions, and it's not a fair representation when the group is constantly moving around.

Ambu is the most reasonable place to "parse PUGs".

Some players simply are not good. Just saw a Shedu shout for R15 DDs and 4 song BRD last night. Those fights have been out for years and are not challenging with one extra support job. Yet, people STILL need the highest standard possible to feel comfortable winning.

On Asura, we have people shouting for R15 in Ambu...
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 12:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess they're not. I've even heard of people from Asura requiring people with remas just for CP.

I can't say much for Shedu but I've seen people solo those NMs.

Asura.Tawhoya said: »
On Asura, we have people shouting for R15 in Ambu...

Case in point ^^
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 13:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Just saw a Shedu shout for R15 DDs and 4 song BRD last night. Those fights have been out for years and are not challenging with one extra support job. Yet, people STILL need the highest standard possible to feel comfortable winning.

Yup - Meanwhile - A year ago...

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 13:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

people dont' parse Ambuscade because they're failing. They parse Ambuscade because they're getting 11 minute wins instead of 8 minute wins (insert your own numbers).

Eiryl nailed it. Ambuscade is a TASK we do to either build weapons, upgrade gear, or make gil. In all three tasks, time=money. So those little nuances are what people seek out with a parse more often than not- if those extra 3 minutes were the result of one DD with piss poor accuracy due to bad gear/playing, or if all the DDs were low-ish on accuracy and the general DPS suffered due to incorrect/bad buffs.

Then changes are made. Maybe someone wanted to try and bring their "new" DD to double up on some free CP points while also doing ambuscade, but in reality they're not ready yet, so they swap back to their "main DD". Or perhaps one person REALLY wanted to play corsair when they're a decked out GEO, and you can't find an equal GEO and they're gonna have to switch jobs. Or maybe its as simple as the BRD adds a madrigal into the mix instead of full damage boosting songs.

Or maybe it really is a question of someone swimming out of their depth. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do with a person just returning and remain on the same difficulty you're at. So either they need to step away or the group needs to re-adjust their expectations.

In any of these possibilities, its through parsing and seeing those small changes that growth can happen faster than just "eyeballing". Of COURSE its easy to know when someone just flat out sucks and can't handle the content- that's not the point the pro-parsers are making. They're saying when you aim to fine-tune the performance of the group, you can't eyeball a 3% difference in accuracy or the like.

So stop applying the simplistic commentary on win/lose when people who parse for the right reasons are so far beyond that debate that you're missing the entire point.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-09-11 13:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 13:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Cele, I understand what you're saying. I understand that someone may want to do a 11 min ambu in 8 min instead.

I guess I've never rolled with people who were that concerned about it. My LS asks if anyone wants to do Ambu and we do it. We don't say "ok Dudeguytaru, you're about 2% off parse, we're gonna drop you for Billybobdudeguy."

I can maybe... MAYBE see that mentality if you're 100% pugging it but parses in PUGs are usually ***anyway and I've never been in that situation and I would likely not either.

I guess its all about what's important to you. I care about clearing content, beating a boss and having fun with those I'm with. Not trying to use math on people who probably don't give a crap anyway. If your static/LS utilizes it for improvements, good for them. I'm just glad mine don't need to.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-09-11 13:14:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It's almost like it's situational
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 13:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Apparently not for some. From reading some of the replies, it sounds like lifeblood.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 13:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

When a game doesn't scale its content for almost 3 years, but continues to release stronger and stronger gear during that time, the only thing left to shoot for is faster.

Real World example: The track for the Indianapolis 500 has been the same for over 80 years. The distance of the race has remained the same. Average speeds for the duration of the race have more than doubled in that time.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 13:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
When a game doesn't scale its content for almost 3 years, but continues to release stronger and stronger gear during that time, the only thing left to shoot for is faster.

That may be your goal and if it is, I wish you the best of luck on doing the same thing faster.

We all have different goals.

For Indy, that's just a sport. You win or you don't win. Some of this content, you win even if it takes you the max duration. It's all about whats important to you. I'm just glad I'm not in groups where people are so anal about a minute or two faster on something that takes like 10 min anyway. That doesn't sound very fun.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-09-11 13:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

Apparently not for some. From reading some of the replies, it sounds like lifeblood.

There are definitely some zealots, always have been

There's no point in getting new stuff if you can't use it to make someone feel lesser. That's what MMOs are for.
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 13:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I've read 100 different reasons for MMOs. Many are just flat-out reaching. We all play MMOs for some reason or another.

The most common are people who dislike people who play MMOs alone.

I personally feel there is no right/wrong way to play. Everyone has their own agenda/goals.
 Leviathan.Eloc
user: Eloc
By Leviathan.Eloc 2020-09-11 13:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I've never rolled with people who were that concerned about it. My LS asks if anyone wants to do Ambu and we do it. We don't say "ok Dudeguytaru, you're about 2% off parse, we're gonna drop you for Billybobdudeguy."

It's not about replacing people. It's about optimization. Trying different weapons or jobs or JA timing.

...But screw Dudeguytaru, he needs to git gud.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 13:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

gtfo, Cole!
[+]
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-09-11 13:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Although that particular player is a very, very, VERY special case of terrible/stupid/how-have-you-not-choked-to-death-on-your-tongue-yet, this mentality is all too common on Asura.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-09-11 13:48:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Posting a parse in PUGs is a waste, especially if you know you're going to be on top because the gear discrepancies between you and the pugs are significant. You don't need that much gear to complete most things and the quality of new gear has outscaled content difficulty pretty badly. People go to PUGs on under geared jobs for that very reason, and in doing so aim to make their lesser geared job more adequate. I think parsing in linkshell type group events is fine though so long as you understand what the numbers mean and just use the data to make runs more efficient.

To that extent, it's important to look at the big picture when reading parses. Individual runs have a lot of variance, and dying a few extra times on a run can really change up numbers so questions like "Who did the most damage in a run" are far less important than "Who consistently parses well across dozens of runs". Things like weaponskill frequency should also be taken with the job in mind, because some jobs have weaponskill mechanics that make them not want to weaponskill as often as possible... like monk, or weaponskills that have excellent tp scaling properties... like rudra's storm. And because weaponskills have overkill values doing 50K to a mob that only has 2k HP left kind of distorts the picture. But if you understand how to read the data and know what to look for, parses in linkshell events can absolutely lead to more productive runs. They help identify situations where different buffs may be more beneficial than others, and can help refine strategies to speed up runs. And there's nothing wrong with knowing who your consistently strong support and damage dealers are. If you use the data to help make events run more smoothly rather than trying to boast that someone is better at X thing than another then parsing coordinated events makes our time doing them more productive. And at this point in time any recurring event can get monotonlous, so there's definately some merit to it.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 13:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Posting a parse in PUGs is a waste, especially if you know you're going to be on top because the gear discrepancies between you and the pugs are significant. You don't need that much gear to complete most things and the quality of new gear has outscaled content difficulty pretty badly. People go to PUGs on under geared jobs for that very reason, and in doing so aim to make their lesser geared job more adequate. I think parsing in linkshell type group events is fine though so long as you understand what the numbers mean and just use the data to make runs more efficient.

To that extent, it's important to look at the big picture when reading parses. Individual runs have a lot of variance, and dying a few extra times on a run can really change up numbers so questions like "Who did the most damage in a run" are far less important than "Who consistently parses well across dozens of runs". Things like weaponskill frequency should also be taken with the job in mind, because some jobs have weaponskill mechanics that make them not want to weaponskill as often as possible... like monk, or weaponskills that have excellent tp scaling properties... like rudra's storm. And because weaponskills have overkill values doing 50K to a mob that only has 2k HP left kind of distorts the picture. But if you understand how to read the data and know what to look for, parses in linkshell events can absolutely lead to more productive runs. They help identify situations where different buffs may be more beneficial than others, and can help refine strategies to speed up runs. And there's nothing wrong with knowing who your consistently strong support and damage dealers are. If you use the data to help make events run more smoothly rather than trying to boast that someone is better at X thing than another then parsing coordinated events makes our time doing them more productive. And at this point in time any recurring event can get monotonlous, so there's definately some merit to it.

Thank you and that's pretty much my point too. I get people even in my ambu who are not the best geared but they're trying to be. They just need mats for capes, which are just 1 of many things that many undergeared players are trying to get.
 Bahamut.Orinthia
Server: Bahamut
user: Orinthia
By Bahamut.Orinthia 2020-09-11 14:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been privately parsing my group for the past year or so whenever we do dynamis or omen or anything with sustained need of dps, namely to see how everyone has improved over time. I'm not some linkshell leader nor a 'decider' and only one other person in our LS has access to it, but it's actually been kinda neat seeing folks' progress as they get more gear and knowledge. Where parses used to be skewed toward one person, it's spread out and more folks are crushing it. It's really great seeing that transformation.
[+]
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2020-09-11 14:52:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Orinthia said: »
I've been privately parsing my group for the past year or so whenever we do dynamis or omen or anything with sustained need of dps, namely to see how everyone has improved over time. I'm not some linkshell leader nor a 'decider' and only one other person in our LS has access to it, but it's actually been kinda neat seeing folks' progress as they get more gear and knowledge. Where parses used to be skewed toward one person, it's spread out and more folks are crushing it. It's really great seeing that transformation.

Yup that's the whole point of parsing for us: To identify any weakness in the group, for people to know where they personally stand regarding their DPS output, and either work towards getting better or to restrict people from going to hard 'events' on certain jobs due to recent parse results until they get better.

Yeah, people will epeen but gl doing any damage if your WHM sucks, your tanks can't hold hate or your support is a dumpster fire. Parses and DPS is one of the less important than the above jobs/roles in terms of clearing content efficiently.

Edit: If your whole Group is pretty much where it needs to be in terms of damage, support, tanking, etc etc, then parse is just a good tool for the top players in a group to have friendly competition in. I mean what else do the top groups have to look forward to?
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 14:56:32
Link | Quote | Reply

True Endgame is making sure your buffs are on point from your Geo Cor Brd...

I get people even in my ambu who are not the best geared but they're trying to be. They just need mats for capes, which are just 1 of many things that many undergeared players are trying to get.

Usually, I'll just make a D Ambu if that's the case. Easier to burn a 5-8min D with 2-3 returnees especially when you can DD bard in most cases than trying to force a 15min+ VD win
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 15:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

In regards to PUGs:

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
I mean the whole "I am doing to be helpful" in a random group just trying to beat the mob consistently isn't doing anyone any favors. What are they supposed to do in that situation? Drop everything and 10mil or w/e that they don't have inorder to buy or make better gear for themselves, just so you can see 5 more second shaved off a fights, and .03% more damage? I mean get real.
Nuff said.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 15:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but we aren't talking about 5 seconds...

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
They parse Ambuscade because they're getting 11 minute wins instead of 8 minute wins (insert your own numbers).

Some months I've seen runs go up to 16 mins with pugs scrabbling. If I just say "f it" make my own group and do the support aspect of the fight (Cor brd geo) and grab DDs worth their weight soon that runs becomes 6-8mins.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 15:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

you are thee must be BiS n a PUG problem, not the guys just tying to manage to put a dent in some content so they can be super l337 like yourself.

You are the problem.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 15:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

you are thee must be BiS n a PUG problem, not the guys just tying to manage to put a dent in some content so they can be super l337 like yourself.

You are the problem.

I've probably helped more returning players get through months of ambu then you ever will..

Im so SOOOOOOOORRRRRRYYYYYY me shouting for VD ambu means I want compentant players who can pull their weight... Woes me fam...
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-09-11 15:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell, doing VDs, needing vey few of them to get all your points for the month is even less important to shave a minute or two off a run.

Admit it, you just feel as though your time somehow is inherently more important than others.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-11 15:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Admit it, you just feel as though your time somehow is inherently more important than others.

especially when I have a child now~ So pull your weight or join a D or N ambu instead of mine when you see me shout
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9