users online
Forum » FFXI » General » SE data breach
SE data breach
 Bahamut.Empyrean
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2020-07-19 18:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

After everything that has happened, I decided to change all my passwords, run multiple virus scans, maleware checks etc. My computers came up blank on everything, then I found this on Chrome Browser.
SE was flagged as a data breach 5 days ago.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2020-07-19 19:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It was in the settings of the chrome browser.
passwords.google.com
should take you there and you can see if your passwords were at risk. At this point I am changing everything
By Jetackuu 2020-07-19 19:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I still question why anyone stores unencrypted passwords.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2020-07-19 19:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, those are locally stored, they are damn near impossible to access without maleware, if you aren't clicking and downloading everything you see it isn't a problem.
My browser wasn't the at risk, it was SE.
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-07-19 20:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Just stop sharing your account info with other people and you won’t have any more problems. People aren’t hacking squenix to get at your 50 dollar account.
[+]
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2020-07-19 20:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cpu said: »
Just stop sharing your account info with other people and you won’t have any more problems. People aren’t hacking squenix to get at your 50 dollar account.
Ok troll
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-07-19 20:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Empyrean said: »
Ok troll
They aren’t. Get over it and move on. No one cares.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-07-19 20:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw something like this pop up, but I thought it was for their store because I shop there. People need to stop stealing passwords! Who the hell has time to remember a huge password and a different one for every site. I hate it lol.
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2020-07-19 20:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok troll
You do realize that people breach security for more than one account, right? Then more often than not, that information is later sold to other people that are after the information.
It isn't a targeted per account, it is just mass breaching that eventually gets sold off to people that would like account information for specific businesses.
Furthermore, I found that there were data breaches in much more than just SE. A simple google search will turn up that a ton of websites were breached in the past week including walmart, discord, and amazon as well as plenty more websites.

TLDR; stop being a troll.
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-07-19 20:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok troll
You do realize that people breach security for more than one account, right? Then more often than not, that information is later sold to other people that are after the information.
It isn't a targeted per account, it is just mass breaching that eventually gets sold off to people that would like account information for specific businesses.
Furthermore, I found that there were data breaches in much more than just SE. A simple google search will turn up that a ton of websites were breached in the past week including walmart, discord, and amazon as well as plenty more websites.

if this were a thing right now then you’d have 100 people in this thread complaining about their accounts being compromised and 19 other new posts being made every hour. That isn’t happening. Be more careful with your account info next time and find another hobby to take up some of your apparently abundant free time while you wait for your rollback ***.
[+]
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2020-07-19 20:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok troll

if this were a thing right now then you’d have 100 people in this thread complaining about their accounts being compromised and 19 other new posts being made every hour. That isn’t happening. Be more careful with your account info next time and find another hobby to take up some of your apparently abundant free time while you wait for your rollback ***.

Considering that literally nobody had my info, and the fact that google detected a breach days prior to my account being stolen. The only person being an *** here, is you.
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-07-19 20:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Super unlucky about your account being the only victim of the great hack. Just be more careful after you get your account back, k? No need to make any new topics about it btw.
[+]
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2020-07-19 20:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

So you don't think it is appropriate to show evidence that Google detected information matching that on Square Enix as a data breach or do you not understand how data dumps work?
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-07-19 20:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So you don't think it is appropriate to show evidence that Google detected information matching that on Square Enix as a data breach or do you not understand how data dumps work?
They show that message whenever they detect that the account and password that *you* provided was included in a data breach somewhere on the net. It doesn’t mean that Square Enix was hacked.

P.S. don’t share your account info with others.
[+]
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2020-07-19 20:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering I do not repeat passwords, it was not matched to anything else except itself.
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-07-19 20:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Post a link to the Square Enix breach details or don’t post again.
[+]
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2020-07-19 20:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it will be released right away, right?
Those things typically are not brought to light immediately.

Go back to trolling P&R while buiying gil and botting your clears.

I was bring informative, you are being a troll.
[+]
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-07-19 20:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it will be posted right away. That’s exactly how it works. But that’s not what happened, is it? Now you’re starting to feel stupid and getting defensive. Don’t worry about it though because you looked like a moron from the very get go.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2020-07-19 21:31:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Where's your source for saying a company would post their breach information right away? Do you have any idea how long it takes to do internal audits and investigations and check with the lawyers to make sure you aren't saying something that would make you even more liable?

Breaches can go undetected for a long time, particularly in events of unsecure data and very few companies have the security logs that are detailed enough and go back far enough to check every access.
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-07-19 21:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Where's your source for saying a company would post their breach information right away? Do you have any idea how long it takes to do internal audits and investigations and check with the lawyers to make sure you aren't saying something that would make you even more liable?

Breaches can go undetected for a long time, particularly in events of unsecure data and very few companies have the security logs that are detailed enough and go back far enough to check every access.
What does the scenario in this thread have to do with a private company keeping an internal data breach a secret? If Google is informing the public that a data breach occurred on a website then that is now public knowledge, and if Google were informing everyone who accessed square-enix.com that their data had potentially been breached then about a billion "e-journalism" articles would have been posted about it already.

But Square-Enix wasn't involved in a data leak. Instead what happened is that this guy's username was found in a data leak for some other website and Chrome is warning him that he should change his password because nefarious actors may attempt to use his leaked credentials to login to websites where he is reusing them: https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/23534509

--

To anyone getting here late:

There was no SE data breach

Your accounts will continue to be fine as long as you do the following:
- Don't re-use credentials across multiple websites.
- Don't share SE account info with other people.
[+]
By Rolodex 2020-07-21 10:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if Google said it, then it HAS to be true!
[+]
 Unicorn.Rufio
Server: Unicorn
user: Nesaki
By Unicorn.Rufio 2020-07-21 10:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Post a link to the Square Enix breach details or don’t post again.

lol
By Delagyela 2020-07-21 15:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I was told to ask you how your butt feels.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Balduran
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2020-07-21 16:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

They show that message whenever they detect that the account and password that *you* provided was included in a data breach somewhere on the net. It doesn’t mean that Square Enix was hacked.

P.S. don’t share your account info with others.

So if you knew how Chrome/Google data breach warning system works to begin with, couldn't you have had the decency to explain that to him (and everyone else for the matter) in your first post? Instead you decided to have a pointless discussion first before revealing how much of a smart-*** you are.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-07-21 16:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's really not that complicated. That message came up because your username and password were found in a data breach.

The data breach was not necessarily SE, but simply a place where you had used the same username and password. If you reuse the same username and password frequently, they will show up in countless breeches.

Yes, it's possible someone is trying info from breeches on various systems and found your account that way, but it's a long shot. Weren't you the guy who was buying shady addons recently? You probably bought an app with a keylogger off someone sketchy.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Mrguido
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Mrguido 2020-07-21 16:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Soooooooo....you’re not going to share your $50 dollar character?