Tips From Job Masters
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Lothire
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Lothire
By Asura.Lothire 2020-07-16 18:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I figure a thread like this might be useful for all the players who have powered their job to 99, but have almost no clue of the nuances and intricacies of particular jobs, other than the basics (and we all know that there are more than we'd like to admit).

I was inspired to make the thread from a post in another thread discussing the amount of 99 SMNs who have no clue about their job skills (like Support-Ward BPs).

You don't have to answer all the questions, but I guarantee there are people out there afraid to ask some without looking dumb. Preferably only about jobs you know through-and-through.

- What are some common mistakes you see new-to-job 99's make?

- What is a something you notice a lot of people aren't doing that they should?

- What piece of gear do you think a job absolutely needs to actually be useful, if any?

- What pisses you off more than anything about how some people play the job?

- etc.

Honestly, just use this as an opportunity to help or rant, it doesn't matter, because there will be nuggets of help throughout, I'm sure.
By Crossbones 2020-07-16 18:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You already mentioned it but yeah basically SMNs. Either the ones where all they know how to do is conduit, or the ones that can't even manage to do that. Gives the job a bad name and relegates it to "zerg button mash job".
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-16 18:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lothire said: »
Honestly, those who buy their jobs from 1-Master.

I mean, I am sick and tired of seeing Mastered jobs wearing sparks/skirmish gear.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-16 18:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Way too many to list but I can't tell you how many times I've reminded Samurais to use Tachi:Ageha. They have no clue it exists.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-16 18:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Way too many to list but I can't tell you how many times I've reminded Samurais to use Tachi:Ageha. They have no clue it exists.
Cause they see Fudo and stick with it.

Never mind that they can solo skillchain pretty much every element needed.....
 Asura.Lothire
user: Lothire
By Asura.Lothire 2020-07-16 18:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Honestly, those who buy their jobs from 1-Master.

I mean, I am sick and tired of seeing Mastered jobs wearing sparks/skirmish gear.

Yeah no doubt. Honestly, this is the whole reason for the thread... because so many people do that and never actually take the opportunity to learn their job as they level. Yeah, leveling is quick if you do it yourself, but it's still long enough to learn the basics at least, and people who PL afk the entire way lose all that.
 Asura.Oronyx
user: Oronyx
By Asura.Oronyx 2020-07-16 19:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Soo many master blus with the DW3 trait and 1200 gift, not capping out their DW (you need 11 in gear to cap delay with max magic haste).
[+]
By sequdaz 2020-07-16 19:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Master BLUs with 1 spellset.
[+]
 Asura.Emmajean
user: Sabine
By Asura.Emmajean 2020-07-16 19:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

For Rune Fencer, don't forget about actual elemental resistances. There are a few pieces that go very nicely with all the magic evasion that can really reduce/eliminate status effects and incoming damage.

Its not all just MAGIC EVASION
 Asura.Cicion
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2020-07-16 19:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Geos not understanding how to use bubbles. Bolstering that indi spell not standing anywhere near said monster, having a bubble out there bolstering and not unsummoning and re summoning the bubble with bolster potency. Entrusting the must have bolster effect thats needed at full pot on a pt member. (Thats like a 1/4th potency bubble people always)General lazyness not tossing out cures, (You can get 700easy with basic 50% cure pot set 850 if you really try. No more basic 450s please) frazzle distracting dia and impacting, hasteing if no rdm. Do better.
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2020-07-16 20:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Knight
- What are some common mistakes you see new-to-job 99's make?
Not having a TP set specially meant to counteract the massive DEF-% when Last Resort is active. Seriously, that is what gets a lot of Dark Knights killed. It's almost -35%; that's *** major.

Using Last Resort and Souleater without the aforementioned set or a Max HP Boost. You're basically asking to die at this point.

Using a Great Sword as their only weapon. Dark Knight is on Scythe and Great Axe for a reason.

- What is something you notice a lot of people aren't doing that they should?
Drain II and Drain III give a massive Max HP Boost when used with Dark Seal and Nether Void. Better yet, that Max HP Boost can be made to last 5:00, which means it can be kept up indefinitely. This actually negates the need for a specialized set I mentioned just then, you need at least one of these two countermeasures though.

- What piece of gear do you think a job absolutely needs to actually be useful, if any?
I usually don't say an REMA is mandatory for a job but the Apocalypse is a legit game-changer for Dark Knight. Empyrean Legs +1 to get the most out of Nether Void for Max HP Boost numbers. Actually, any equipment with Drain potency on it.

That they are so incredibly reckless in the quest for MAX DEEPS. A dead DD is zero DPS.

Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Afania 2020-07-16 20:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yojimmbo said: »
When the paladin says "let me macro flash rq"
/p how long until we enter Dynamis?
/p how long have they been advancing?
How long is the wait for ambuscade
I can bring my alt if you need
I have a mule
Whm and Geo, need to get us both we're a set
My friend has Cor, rolls only ok?
/yell anyone doing anything?
/yell where is the dragon currently?
/p hold on, I have to walk my dog
I need erase and haste
I need paralyna and erase
I don't have any echoes
This isn't a wave 3 clear?
Why can't I lot on volte?
Stop pulling for a moment, I'm out of MP
Full break is weak, I'll open with Ukko's
You used Blood Rage? I'll use warcry so we get two buffs
Players that show up with zero buffs
" " " With no reraise items
" " " No food, no clue, on /follow, afk'g at random

Oh wow, no offense but that's a very long list of things that you don't like. I wonder how you'd ever enjoy playing the MMO if some of above bothers you so much.

I especially don't get why people asking for dragon locations piss you off. It's not possible to get the message in some unity and the fastest way is to ask.

As far as alt goes, I absolutely love it when people bring alt, saves me the time to find more people. Now I know that even offering an alt offends people lol.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-07-16 20:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The recent influx of these garbage monks makes me want to barf.

Most don’t have DT sets and end up dying to the most randomness of ***.

Monk has counter for a reason why do you not have a set for it?

Or the ones who don’t have a weaponskills set for anything besides VS.

Or if you need Shell Crusher they don’t have a staff for it not the Acc to actually land full duration.

It’s probably the easiest dd job to play and we have so many ***ones running around on it. I miss the days of when you saw a MNK you knew they were good.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-16 20:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

That's probably the biggest issue with every inexperienced player; they don't really understand how important surviving is. I would rather have a DD like DRG or NIN that I know will survive vs a monk or drk that can't take a hit worth a damn.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-16 21:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That's probably the biggest issue with every inexperienced player; they don't really understand how important surviving is. I would rather have a DD like DRG or NIN that I know will survive vs a monk or drk that can't take a hit worth a damn.

i mean, why not redmage? were durable as all hell, great damage, great enfeebling, we got the works! honestly i keep up with most any other DPS in most situations if im allowed the same buffs they are.

only problem i have is getting people to actually let me play as a melee lol.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-16 21:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The alt mule thing is when I form up a Dyna farm, I go with free drops and think it unfair for an alt to get drops.
As long as they are contributing, why should you care?

Just pretend they are a second player and go with it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-16 21:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Hideka said: »

i mean, why not redmage? were durable as all hell, great damage, great enfeebling, we got the works! honestly i keep up with most any other DPS in most situations if im allowed the same buffs they are.

only problem i have is getting people to actually let me play as a melee lol.

There is no harsh DPS check on most things you find various jobs for, so RDM would work the same as any other job. I just threw out a couple of examples...

Most of the time you invite RDM for their utility and debuffs, but the issue I presented wasn't a job problem, simply a lack of experience with the appropriate sets. Players just need to value survival over damage, even a RDM.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-16 21:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The alt mule thing is when I form up a Dyna farm, I go with free drops and think it unfair for an alt to get drops.
As long as they are contributing, why should you care?

Just pretend they are a second player and go with it.
My shout, my run.
Then say no. No point in getting angry over it.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-07-16 21:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

multiboxers already get plenty of extras from ambuscade point systems, personal drops and min 3 player requierements.
alt accounts are either inefficient or automated, neither should be rewarded with additonal cast lot chances per character. it would be extremely unfair towards regular players, stop beeing greedy.

strong words but in general i dislike it if ppl play the super low effort game. i don't mean REMA and HQ gear only, i'm talking stuff like farming only the bare minimum of BLU spells or not unlocking all weaponskills.
if you are just starting out, fine, it has to start somewhere. however your goal should be to collect most and eventually all BLU spells. you can be of so much more value to a group if you have more WS options to open SCs for stronger DD.

don't be that guy that only farmed DD BLU spells and ignores other aspects of the job.
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2020-07-16 22:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
multiboxers already get plenty of extras from ambuscade point systems, personal drops and min 3 player requierements.
alt accounts are either inefficient or automated, neither should be rewarded with additonal cast lot chances per character. it would be extremely unfair towards regular players, stop beeing greedy

I pay an extra $12 for each of those extra lots tyvm
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-07-16 22:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

you don't spend more time on the run as everybody else does no matter how many multiboxes you run. if you want the extra lots pay $72 for the full party and go solo.
[+]
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2020-07-16 22:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on the multiboxer. If my fully geared BRD and GEO alts are doing their job plus dealing damage and I'm doing my job as a DD. Then I'd say I'm much more valuable than someone just playing one account. I mean even if I just brought an Idris alt for bubbles that's worth it most the time compared to what you get half the time.

Your argument could be used in the same fashion against certain jobs even if everyone was on one account. If you bring a WHM and they literally don't heal then they leeched a lot. If you have someone on DD that dies all the time from not having a hybrid set it's the same thing. Ppl leech clears and win lots that don't deserve it more so single boxing than multi boxing.

If you're so set against multi boxing you can just make that clear before you get someone that does so. Most the time I bring multiple characters it's to fill the party since you can be sitting there for 30min to an hour looking for someone and I'd rather put in the extra effort to just get the content done. That or I trust myself to do the job rather than some random BRD that might not know what horde lullaby is.
By cuddlyhamster 2020-07-16 22:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I bring the mules so other people can go on jobs they enjoy.

But on topic, I dont like brds that sing 4 dummy songs then 4 real songs. I also dont like brds that sing 2 real songs, 2 dummy songs, then 2 real songs.
I would rather people sing 2 real songs, 2 pink harp songs with full +song, then resing those 2 songs.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-07-16 23:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

my argument wasn't about value to the party. your attention might be divided between multiple characters or you are beeing assisted by automation while the regular player focuses all his attention on one character but bottom line you can't split yourself so everyone invests the same amount of time and therefore has earned the same chance on lots.

the only situation where its justified for some to have better chances at lots is if someone didn't pull their weight at all and got carried. in that case it'd be fair to exclude them from lots.
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-16 23:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

What is a something you notice a lot of people aren't doing that they should?
Meleeing on SMN it doubles triples your damage by doing self skillchains but all most people seem to know how to do is hit astral conduit and volt strike.
SMN/SAM SMN/Drk are awesome combo's.
garland of bliss can hit 20k with the right gear. Practical or not it works wonders for the way i play smn. Also smn can do 3 step light skillchains just using thier staves with out any pets tho clubs and daggers are also situationally usefull as well example aeolin edge in omen.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-07-16 23:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

"Tips from job masters" thread has turned into:

[+]
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2020-07-16 23:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Also,
What pisses you off more than anything about how some people play the job?

The way people cheat and use bots for everything from job points to dyna-d learn how to play your jobs manually for christ sake.
There i said i. lol
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7