Forum » FFXI » General » community job guides
community job guides
 Fenrir.Aladeus
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2020-06-20 06:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

hey, I was just wondering if there was a way to contact whoever was working on community job guides to ask them to update them at some point, or ask for a way to get access to change them up? some of them are so very outdated. thanks.
By Pantafernando 2020-06-20 08:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Community doesnt mean anyone can just edit it?
[+]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
Server: Asura
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2020-06-20 08:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The only place I know that that they call them Community Job Guides are on BG Wiki and if they're part of those anyone with a wiki account can edit them.

There are a few none community guides that are personal that you'd have to talk with the owner to change or help collab with but even those are labeled and have a warning as not being community guides but we still have a community guide that can either be started or edited for every job. We made community job guide pages for every job when we started those.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Job_Guides

If for some reason you decided to call them the same thing the wiki does and actually mean ffxiah guides your mileage will very with getting someone to respond / let you edit their guide.
[+]
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2020-06-20 12:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Aladeus said: »
hey, I was just wondering if there was a way to contact whoever was working on community job guides to ask them to update them at some point, or ask for a way to get access to change them up? some of them are so very outdated. thanks.
Hello,

Your post is a bit vague as to where the outdated guides are, but if you're asking about the THF, BLU or DRG guides on BGwiki, unfortunately they cannot be updated as the creator was banned, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me
By RadialArcana 2020-06-20 13:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're talking about the pinned posts in the job section forums, the only way would be to make a better / updated one and ask a mod to sticky that instead. This for long since abandoned threads that are really out of date.
Administrator
By Rooks 2020-06-20 13:50:40
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
If you're talking about the pinned posts in the job section forums, the only way would be to make a better / updated one and ask a mod to sticky that instead. This for long since abandoned threads that are really out of date.

Not quite. The guides that are using nodes can be handed over, nodes allow shared permissions. You'd still need permission from the original author, though.

A new guide works just fine too, but if the existing guide just needs an update, the nodes mean you don't have to start from scratch because the original author got busy/stopped playing/etc.
[+]
 Asura.Nyte
user: NyteLyte
By Asura.Nyte 2020-06-20 21:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The person that people keep referring to here, but not using his name for some reason is Spicyryan. He was banned from the wiki for some reason so none of his guides will be updated.

This really sucks as he was one of the best guide writers on the wiki and one of the most active with updates.

You can try contacting him, but since he is banned he won't be able to update these guides despite wanting to be able to do so.

I really hope the "powers that be" over on the wiki consider the impact of not allowing him to update content, and/or not getting any future content from him. There are a lot of people that use his guides, especially returning players with the 1-119 guide he has created to help people ease back into the game.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-06-20 21:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

He can't post/update/PM here last I checked and is no longer on discord. He writes well, even with his personality quirks, it reminds me a lot of myself, which is odd as I'm often self-loathing enough to not like people that remind me of myself.

The problem with community updated content is that the community has to learn how to handle disagreements, as there will always end up being some.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-06-20 21:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone can go in an update the sets. Spicy doesn't have some magic mcguffin that no one else has. Everyone can pull the same dps and update.

He could even sock himself into updating it if he cared. Really not difficult.

Unless we're talking about guides here, in which case the only one I noticed being supremely in need of updates/new guide is THF. Hello two hundred twenty pages. And monk apparently, I could've sworn it was updated with malignance sets.
By Pantafernando 2020-06-20 22:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the Brady guide up to date?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-06-20 22:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Is the Brady guide up to date?

WAR/WHM FTW
 Asura.Nyte
user: NyteLyte
By Asura.Nyte 2020-06-20 22:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Anyone can go in an update the sets. Spicy doesn't have some magic mcguffin that no one else has. Everyone can pull the same dps and update.

He could even sock himself into updating it if he cared. Really not difficult.

Unless we're talking about guides here, in which case the only one I noticed being supremely in need of updates/new guide is THF. Hello two hundred twenty pages. And monk apparently, I could've sworn it was updated with malignance sets.

Yeah anyone can do that I suppose, but no one else did or does. You can make that argument with just about anything. Why don't you pick up the torch then and keep it going?

My point is, he's one of the few people that takes a lot of time to update wiki pages often. Why get rid of one of those people.
By Jetackuu 2020-06-20 22:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nyte said: »
Why get rid of one of those people.
Because his personality is abrasive, and instead of setting measures/procedures on how to deal with disagreements they had a *** waving contest.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zutangdupes
Server: Lakshmi
user: zingus
By Lakshmi.Zutangdupes 2020-06-22 14:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

has anyone thought about taking his good info and doing a copypasta into a new guide but with updates? obviously giving him writing credit but....hell idk. i know i don't have the time or the knowledge to write a guide
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-06-22 14:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

That makes too much sense, so of course nobody will do that!

Got to start from scratch, use 90% of his info, and claim all the credit!
[+]
By Rolodex 2020-07-14 11:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
and instead of setting measures/procedures on how to deal with disagreements they had a *** waving contest.

To be fair you can say that about 90% of twitter, lol. Fact is that he did the legwork and like Kingnobody said, all it would take is one guy taking Spicy's info and just run with it. Though personally that would smack of opportunism for 5 seconds of e-fame.