Will This Laptop Run FFXI Decent Enough?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Will this laptop run FFXI decent enough?
Will this laptop run FFXI decent enough?
 Valefor.Issacxx
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Issacxx 2020-06-09 06:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking for some tech advice. Started playing the game again two months ago with quarantine. My old PC died years ago and haven't had a need for a computer or laptop until now. My wife let me use her personal laptop to download and play FFXI on. Now with things picking back up again for my wife, she needs her personal laptop for projects she can't use her work laptop for. This of course leaves me with the need to start looking for my own laptop again. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a laptop that I can use just for playing XI. I don't need top of the line and don't want to spend a large amount of money. Saw this and just wanted to make sure it would work before I purchased. This is already towards the top of my budget I want to spend on a laptop that's solely being used for XI. Any other suggestions I would be open to, but I'm really looking to spend $500 or less. I know a cheap PC would be a better choice, but there's really not space for a PC set up in our apartment so a laptop has to be the solution.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acid-FHD-NVIDIA-GDDR5-HP-Shadow-GTX-3-Intel-GeForce-Pavilion-Black-8GB-GB-Core-Refurbished-1050-i5-9300H-SSD-15-dk0068wm-Laptop-Green-256GB-SDRAM-15-/783233130

I know it says out of stock currently, but Walmart seems to restock 5 of these daily.
 Carbuncle.Aliekber
Server: Carbuncle
user: Aliekber
By Carbuncle.Aliekber 2020-06-09 07:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I started playing this on a Pentium III 800MHz. ANY modern computer that can run Windows can run it.

Edit: to answer your question directly; yes, that computer can run FFXI easily. Don't forget to do "config FrameRateDivisor 1" so you can get 60fps smoothness.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-06-09 08:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know about this laptop, I'm not that tech savvy but I do no that "anything can run ffxi" isn't really true. I know this because I bought a laptop in the past and had awful issues running ffxi.

The argument isn't the low requirements for the engine and current tech being so powerful, the problem is the old nature of the game means many video card drivers don't properly support it. The weak link is the drivers, some video cards don't even detect the game properly. This means things like bard songs, geo spells fire spells etc can cause awful lag or full crashes.

I think there are ways to fix this with 3rd party programs but still, it's not as easy as some will say.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-06-09 08:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's gonna try to use onboard graphics for FFXI. Can use dgVoodoo to fix that.
[+]
By myefe 2020-06-09 09:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

i have the same laptop it runs ffxi perfectly. i tribox on it. with full usauge of the HDdat mods. you will need to go into geforce experience and make it run on the gtx 1050 tho as it will default to the intel onboard. it works just fine aswell tho. its a very decent midrange laptop for gaming id recommend getting another 8gb of ram for it tho. its a massive improvement once you do. i played gears 4 on med/high settings easily on it.
By Jetackuu 2020-06-09 09:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Aliekber said: »
I started playing this on a Pentium III 800MHz. ANY modern computer that can run Windows can run it.

Edit: to answer your question directly; yes, that computer can run FFXI easily. Don't forget to do "config FrameRateDivisor 1" so you can get 60fps smoothness.
^ this, is false.

As to OP: yeah, but you'll need a directx wrapprr.
By Pantafernando 2020-06-09 11:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah like peeps said, you can have a supercomputer, without DGvoodoo it will drop its fps to 10 even on cities.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2020-06-09 12:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Yeah like peeps said, you can have a supercomputer, without DGvoodoo it will drop its fps to 10 even on cities.

Port Sandy, Whitegate, and Adoulin are the only places I drop to ~20-24 FPS without DGvoodoo.
By Pantafernando 2020-06-09 14:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

For some reason ive been dropping my fps right outside of Western Adoulin Mog House even with DGVoodoo.

Its not because RMTs exchanging spark as my /sea all in area wont should them.
 Valefor.Issacxx
By Valefor.Issacxx 2020-06-09 15:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you all for the responses. Looks like I'll be picking one up when they get back in stock.
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
Server: Leviathan
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2020-06-09 16:30:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You can run xi off of a potato! Also, you could probably build a desktop just as cheap assuming you have the keyboard/mouse and monitor and then upgrade parts later if you want to go that route.
 Asura.Aeonova
Server: Asura
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-06-09 16:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-06-09 16:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kingkitt said: »
You can run xi off of a potato! Also, you could probably build a desktop just as cheap assuming you have the keyboard/mouse and monitor and then upgrade parts later if you want to go that route.
I'm actually gonna test this out. I have an Asus Vivobook Flip 14 that I got for when I travel to have access to some movies and old emulated games, and I'm gonna see if it can run XI decently.

I know XI is nearly two decades old, so any modern hardware should be able to run it.
By Pantafernando 2020-06-09 16:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably the biggest requirement is graphic card.

The lowest i tried FFXI was my old surface pro when i was at work travelling. Some lags here and there but nothing that could actually prevent my playing.
 Valefor.Issacxx
By Valefor.Issacxx 2020-06-09 17:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have a place in our apartment to set up a permanent desktop location which is why I have to go laptop route.
 Lakshmi.Winternova
Server: Lakshmi
user: myefe
By Lakshmi.Winternova 2020-06-09 18:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZ4Qx9TeWQ
this is an older model of the same pc it will do all the things just fine and he even tells u in the video get another 8gb of ram its like 30-40$.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-06-09 18:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/50664/the-official-potato-thread/

On topic: The game is 18 years old. The hardware requirements were pretty low on release, PS2 compatibility.... They have not gotten stiffer.

A laptop much cheaper than that would suffice.

Personally I would not buy a computer from Walmart. They often stock several configurations of the same model and their shipping department does not know the difference. You can order and pay for a particular configuration but get sent a stripped down version.

I shop the refurbished departments of newegg, tiger direct, other places like that.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-06-09 19:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
On topic: The game is 18 years old. The hardware requirements were pretty low on release, PS2 compatibility.... They have not gotten stiffer.
This is also untrue.

But yes: walmart sucks
By Jetackuu 2020-06-09 19:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Winternova said: »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZ4Qx9TeWQ
this is an older model of the same pc it will do all the things just fine and he even tells u in the video get another 8gb of ram its like 30-40$.
who cares what videos say?
By Jetackuu 2020-06-09 19:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet you can't, take your stupidity elsewhere.
 Valefor.Issacxx
By Valefor.Issacxx 2020-06-09 20:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah Walmart sucks but I also have a gift card for $100 from Walmart I can apply towards the total cost. It's also the lowest version of that laptop and if Walmart made a mistake and shipped another version, it would be a better one. As for Newegg, I checked there and the cheapest laptop I could find with a built in number pad was this one:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-00BK-00007

I've found other laptops that are cheap, but they don't have a number pad and I find it uncomfortable to play with a plug in keyboard and a laptop. I gotta work with the allotted budget my wife gave me.
By Jetackuu 2020-06-09 20:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

15.6" refurbed laptops are the way to go to get your bang/buck and achieve that goal of ssd, dgpu and full keyboard (gotta watch, not all 15.6" models have a full keyboard).
[+]
 Lakshmi.Winternova
Server: Lakshmi
user: myefe
By Lakshmi.Winternova 2020-06-09 21:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

like i said earlier i own the thing. the video shows actual gameplay on it not just saying things.