Forum » Windower » Support » Game goes to 10 FPS and all text disappears
Game goes to 10 FPS and all text disappears
 Asura.Crevox
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2020-04-17 01:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So I started playing again, joined my first group content and...

https://i.imgur.com/CDkbTKj.png

This is happening. My game's FPS drops to 10, stays there, and all the text in my chat log and items disappears. The game is basically unplayable because I can't see anything in chat, my text I type is invisible, and it's extremely laggy. Game was working fine before I zoned into Omen.

I have no idea what's causing this, a quick google says people think it's tied to multiboxing, but I have never multiboxed before and I've never had this problem.

I had it happen a couple times while soloing, but it auto corrected itself... but once I joined a group, it has been permanent. So far it seems to only happen in Omen, but it might crop up elsewhere when I play more?

Any ideas?
 Asura.Berlon
user: Berlack
By Asura.Berlon 2020-04-17 04:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you playing on a laptop at all?
By Pantafernando 2020-04-17 04:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe something related to graphic card?
 Asura.Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2020-04-17 05:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm on a desktop, never played on a laptop.

I went into Omen two more times solo and it happened both times again, the second time being permanent until I relogged. I tried to reload or unload some addons while inside and nothing seemed to help.

These are the addons/plugins I have enabled:

https://pastebin.com/raw/pqzP0V2D

It seems to just start happening at random... I can't seem to find any discernible cause. So far it only seems to happen in Omen, so I tried disabling the Omen addon there, but it still happens even with that disabled. I played for many hours outside of Omen and it never happened, maybe it only happens in instanced content, but I haven't played enough yet to discern that.

The first Omen I went into solo, it started happening within a minute or two of entering, but it went away within a minute. It started up again a couple times, but it always fixed itself (FPS returns to normal, text all becomes visible again). The second time it started up early too, but I played for like 5-10 minutes fighting despite the lag, playing at around 8-10 FPS with all text completely invisible, and it didn't stop, so I had to relog.

All other games work completely fine, and I played this game a long time previously without ever experiencing something like this.
 Asura.Berlon
By Asura.Berlon 2020-04-17 05:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It might be worth doing a check on files from the playonline launcher then.

Are you using dgvoodoo? I found once i started using that my performance was a lot better as well.
 Asura.Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2020-04-17 06:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Berlon said: »
It might be worth doing a check on files from the playonline launcher then.

Are you using dgvoodoo? I found once i started using that my performance was a lot better as well.

I'm not using dgvoodoo. I checked it out a little bit but it didn't seem to make much difference, but I can always try it again. My FPS is like close to 60 the entire time inside Omen or most battle content, the only problem has been this random bug where the game just completely bricks my FPS down to 8-10 with all of the disappearing UI text. When (if) it decides to stop, my FPS goes right back to 60.

I can try a check on the files in PlayOnline launcher, wouldn't hurt. I was hoping this was some existing problem that people can just point out to me, or one of those addons or plugins are deprecated or something, but seems like this might be hard to identify...
 Asura.Berlon
By Asura.Berlon 2020-04-17 06:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah.

I mean i had basically the same issue when I came back, but that was due to being on a laptop with Nvidia optimus, and Dgvoodoo forced it to use the GPU.

If it's literally just omen, Id try with a filecheck, and maybe unload the 'Omen' addon when you enter next and try again.
 Asura.Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2020-04-17 06:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Berlon said: »
If it's literally just omen, Id try with a filecheck, and maybe unload the 'Omen' addon when you enter next and try again.

So far, at least. I've only been playing for two days and saw that Omen had a daily lockout, then with the event going, I felt it was prudent to go in and try to get some of those cards. I did try without the addon too.

I'll do a check and see where that gets me, and try some other content... any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated too.
 Asura.Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2020-04-17 06:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

File check says no problems found...

Asura.Genosync said: »
Try playing without Windower once (I know, nearly impossible) and see if the same thing happens. At least then you can tie it down to being an FFXI issue or a Windower issue and narrow down your search for a fix.

The problem with this is that it eats an Omen run, but I probably have to try.
 Sylph.Darkcloudx
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Darkcloudx 2020-04-17 07:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I was having this trouble as well windower or no windower did not matter and happening on a regular basis. In town, omen, dynamis did not matter. Sometimes I click around thru menus and get the text to pop back in sometimes not. I may have found a solution at least for my particular situation and for me that was to disable SLI (multi-gpu). SO if you are running multiple graphics cards disable them. Several hours playtime in and so far no more issues.
 Asura.Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2020-04-19 06:03:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Darkcloudx said: »
I may have found a solution at least for my particular situation and for me that was to disable SLI (multi-gpu). SO if you are running multiple graphics cards disable them. Several hours playtime in and so far no more issues.

So far it seems like this might've been it. I do have an SLI setup. I ran one Omen and had zero issues... hopefully it worked! Thanks!
 Ragnarok.Hammerskin
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Hammerskin 2020-04-19 08:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

For some reason the Guildwork plugin increased lag for me in certain zones. Since this site doesn't always keep up with character updates, I decided to just stop using it. I would watch my network traffic in task manager and would see a drastic drop when unloading the addon.