2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Ambuscade » Soulflayer Ambuscade V1
Soulflayer Ambuscade V1
By pawnoee 2020-02-19 15:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
It did take him over 25minutes, though. So it's cool RDM can solo it at all, but any mistakes is probably a wipe.

True, out of 7 runs he got 2 wins and 5 loses.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2020-02-19 15:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Fayona said: »
He’s using crocea to bypass the shield. It looked like he used sanguine blade once when the shield was up to recover HP as well.

If he wanted, RDM also has all the damage types to break the double shield normally. Club for blunt, dagger for piercing, sword for slashing.

Thinking his kill speed may actually have improved by a lot if he had just spammed Savage, Black Halo and Evisc with ambu weapons/Thibron instead of using CDC. Maybe keep one imp alive as a TP battery for shields.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-19 16:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

He's not bypassing the shield with the sword its just the enspells.

He's basically doing ceremonial dagger strat, but getting to use corcea's enspell damage. He doesn't want the shield to break, ever. Zero tp feed but much higher kill speed than with D1 daggers.

Feels like a programming mistake to allow enspells to ignore shield and not break it as elemental spells do nothing... but hey, it is what it is.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-02-19 17:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Safety, if shield(2) gets up the only 100% known way to break it is pets, and of all the pets smn happens to give buffs and enmity free/tp free damage, so it's the obvious choice.

A lot of speculation on how to break the second shield last time but nothing really concrete, And then sirens blessing is subtle blow, that's perfect for reducing shield chance.

I think that it's just a really ridiculously high phalanx, like 10k so that's why anni crits go through and pacts easily clear that, but underbuffed and undergeared players think it's pets only, but again no real proof of it. Easy enough to test trueflight power creep is WAY higher than it was 2 years ago and gives static numbers.

I was messing around with the very easy version, granted I am sure its mechanics may be quite a bit different, but I was winning w/ NIN GEO BRD, and some trusts, cant remember which exactly, sylvie, ulmia, and koru-moru, most likely.

My strat was to go in, do NQ buffs, kill all the imps, once they were dead his shield dropped and he would take damage. So at that point I would apply my 10 minute (based on non 1hr JAs) version of zerg buffs and try and kill him as fast as possible.

A couple of runs he reapplied his shield after I had killed the imps, but soon after it would wear off again.

So, the reason I quoted, I agree that it may be a phalanx, and obviously it gets much more potent depending on difficulty.

But I was breaking the shield in VE w/ just katanas and Ku spam. dunno if that is helpful lol.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-19 17:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I do easy with no issues at all on the shield (1) so it never puts up shield (2)

It just kills me how easy it is to verify but no one can be bothered. Or does it wrong. I don't keep my shootie jobs up to date or I would've had the answers 2 years ago. Goten on the last page kinda confirmed it.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-02-19 17:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I couldn't even tell you if it was the V1 or the V2 of the shield that popped back up to be honest. So I am not much help there. I didn't do any home work before my runs. Just noticed on the 1st run that he didn't take damage with his imps out, so I just started working them down instead, and viola he started taking damage after I ran out of imps. lol.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-19 17:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The imps give him some form of immunity too, absolute immunity with all imps up but you can start to damage it as they die

On the topic of soloing though, man, for real, if there was a single trust that would silence, it'd be so much easier. Totally harmless until it does crashing thunder and rail cannon back to back.
By Draylo 2020-02-19 17:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

They wouldn't land it, hes practically immune without immunobreak. Siren doesn't work at all on him.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-19 17:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

On easy / very easy
By Demhar 2020-02-25 11:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG + Siren skillchain method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR8-YuU_9wU

YouTube Video Placeholder

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Aquatiq 2020-02-25 15:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there something about Imp hate management or hate resets that make them occasionally peel off and go attack the group?

Or am I pugging with tanks that don't even attempt to AoE

I'm taking completely untouched (maybe Diaga'd at most) Imps charging the ranged 2-3 minutes into the fight, all at the same time... as a COR who had only done some rerolls due to a dispel, I was top hate on them when they came charging us
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-25 15:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing that seems to be full/partial enmity reset, just insufficient tanking.

Not everyone understands legion rules for enmity and they likely assumed supertanking was sufficient.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-02-25 15:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

When I go solo MNK DD, all it takes for me to keep hate on them is Vallation/Pflug/Counterstance and they're all on me until they die. The only notable actions people in party are doing to generate Enmity are the occasional Cure on me, though.
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-02-25 16:07:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Aquatiq said: »
Is there something about Imp hate management or hate resets that make them occasionally peel off and go attack the group?

Or am I pugging with tanks that don't even attempt to AoE

I'm taking completely untouched (maybe Diaga'd at most) Imps charging the ranged 2-3 minutes into the fight, all at the same time... as a COR who had only done some rerolls due to a dispel, I was top hate on them when they came charging us

Why not just assist the RUN? RUN should be attacking imps 1 by 1 and use them to assist. Nevermind just sounds like you had some bad tanks.
By Demhar 2020-02-25 16:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Been doing this more then 30 times the tank should be able to keep hate fairly easy after the initial pull.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2020-02-25 16:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure what other tanks do normally, but I am just been /sam and opening fight with All for One/Circle and then just spamming foil for hate
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-02-25 17:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bippin said: »
Not sure what other tanks do normally, but I am just been /sam and opening fight with All for One/Circle and then just spamming foil for hate

I run in > All for One > Blu Spell and you're pretty much good to go.

/BLU works nicely for cocoon and BLU spells since you're amnesia'd a majority of the fight.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1371 days between previous and next post]
By Pirates 2023-11-27 12:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

December Ambuscade?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-11-27 13:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes. The same one. Three weeks too soon.

Maybe someone will bother to figure out shields this time.

Edit; Not how to break them, what they do (exactly)
Phalanx 1500 and 5000 etc
By Asura.Neojuggernautx 2023-11-27 17:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Iirc, flayer can put up two shields. 1 can be broken by Crits and SMN BP. If first isn’t broken and a second goes up, only SMN BP will break. SMN and COR duo with Tank holding the flayer. Volt Strike > Last Stand and vice versa ftw
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-12-09 08:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh right, last day to buy your random ranger and/or smn ***before the FOTM tax.
By Dodik 2023-12-09 10:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

So if one were to solo/duo/trio this for monthly cape materials, how would one go about it.

Asking for science.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-12-09 10:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

SBDD buffer tp denier, tp denial/subtle blow standard strat for lowman/X-boxer

Pickups go with the shootie idiotproof method. (tank/blu cor/rng whm/rdm/sch 3box should work, just slow)

Edit for dude below me; ranger rolls. You can be fancy and give smn pet rolls then yourself sam/chaos.
[+]
 Valefor.Dathus
Server: Valefor
user: Dathus
By Valefor.Dathus 2023-12-09 10:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

What COR rolls? Pet attack/Acc rolls?
By ksoze 2023-12-11 04:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

can you learn mighty guard from the soulflayer as a blu?
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-12-11 08:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

ksoze said: »

I don't know for certain but my hunch is no. It seems like he is a BLU himself and he casts blue magic, not that he uses these abilities. You can't learn blue magic from BLU enemies who cast the spells, you only learn it from mobs who use the abilities.

Now that I think of it, there's no chance you can learn it from him, he's not a Shinryu-type mob so he can't be using the ability because there's no animation for a Soulflayer using that WS. 0% chance.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-12-11 09:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

ksoze said: »
I dont think you can learn anything in Ambuscade tbh.

I tried to learn Thrashing Assault when it was meebles, and I went 0/15 on multiple chars. I then cleared all the chars in less than one run in the burrows.
 Asura.Yasova
user: Nobility
By Asura.Yasova 2023-12-11 16:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

you cant learn spells from soulflayers if they cast. pretty sure it has to be an ability from the original mob that uses it.

i could be wrong though. dont really play blu alot
By Shenaniganz 2023-12-11 19:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

This ambuscade hasn't been around since I came back to the game, seen some posts that vaguely reference a Subtle Blow DD method being viable but the posts don't have many details.

Is it something like: Typical superbuffed subtle blow DD runs in, grabs all mobs, and then kills them one by one? Something like MNK GEO COR COR BRD RDM? Or a SMN for Volt Strike on shield while supports double as healers?

I browsed the old threads but being from 2016/2018 they're not taking into account recent gear/master levels etc. Llewelyn mentioned the MNK method in 2020, too. Hoping someone can offer more modern advice.
[+]