Advice On Most Useful Jobs.

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Advice on most useful jobs.
Advice on most useful jobs.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-20 16:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Drayco said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
GEO uhm... I'd say it's easier to gear up than either BRD or COR, imho.
Especially if you have other mages like RDM, BLM or SCH, you're going to share a lot of gear.
That's a pretty fair point, which I do have geared up. My Geo has all the stuff for 900+ too, but it seems that everybody has a pocket iGeo these days. I also find Geo to be a very boring job for some reason.

You better make a GEO TP set and get to swinging that black halo away, when applicable. It's actually pretty fun in a zerg, since most of the mage duties (heals enfeebs -nas) are covered. You're forced to be in range anyways, and you're generally always in the buff party, so take advantage. It can push out some good numbers when properly supported. Just should never be at the expense of GEO duties.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-01-20 16:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish GEO had better options for TP gear.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-20 17:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Completely agree with Tearxx.
There's a lot of stuff you can do (barring Melee which used to be a thing but it's unpractical nowadays).

You can land basic debuffs, impact, dispel, dispelga, backline heal, backline -na if you go /WHM or /SCH.
Magic bursting on some fights, especially if Malaise is down, then there's the tagging to do, keeping bubbles up, rotating them according to current needs, make nice use of Eclictic Attrition, entrust, Blaze of Glory etc.
It's not the job with the most interactions/depth, but there's a lot of thing you can do *if you want to do them and you're not a mule* other than simply doing bubbles.

It's not necessary, but if you wanna do it, why not?
I find GEO fun but it can be stressing in events where you're constantly moving around. Booooooring. That's because of the intrinsic "static" nature of the Luopans.

Also last but not least: my unpopular opinion.
If you have the +2 Neck (expensive but cheaper and faster than Idris!) you can get bubble+7 which is relatively close to Bubble+10 from Idris.
I don't know about others but I'd take ANY DAY a +2 neck no-idris GEO who's dedicated to his job, knows it well, has a good Meva/DT set, has all bubbles and knows how to play dynamically compared to a GEO with Idris and close-to-BIS gear who just uses bubbles, knows ***about his job and just expect you to do all the work because he's too lazy to do anything else other than 2 bubbles (hoping the ones you need are the ones he learned).
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-01-20 18:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have the +2 Neck (expensive but cheaper and faster than Idris!) you can get bubble+7 which is relatively close to Bubble+10 from Idris.

This statement is kinda meh. There is no magic here. Difference between +10 and +7 is higher than difference between +7 and +5. So saying +7 is close to +10 means +5 is even closer to +7. Why bother with +2 neck then :)

Reality is that Idris makes a difference even compered to +7. Especially when stacked with geo buffs including Bolster.

Ofc your following statement that you would take +7 geo played by experienced and skilled player over Idris noob is kinda obvious, but really its the same for +5 geo.
By Prong 2020-01-20 19:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

No offense to the OP but doesn't some version of this topic come up in a new thread about every two weeks? And people just dive into it like a hot tub in the winter because they can't wait to see their opinions posted on the interwebz.

Play what you want to play, it's your money. If people don't feel like your job choices benefits their group F 'em, that's their option. You do you. They can tell you what to do when they start paying your sub.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2020-01-20 19:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't listen to that guy

Play whm because we need it

Thanks
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-20 19:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »

The options are atrocious. Here's a set I use and was still able to DPS Reis Helms + Ambu VD1 last month (with buffs of course).
ItemSet 370309

ItemSet 370308

Offhand Ternion Dagger +1, Beryllium Kris +1, depending on target.
If they had put GEO on Raetic Kris +1, it would have an even better offhand option. There's also an easier TP set to build around Onca suit, but youre going to take major hits, I just didnt think it wa worth it.
By huttburt<3 2020-01-20 22:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously...
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-20 23:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
experienced and skilled player over Idris noob is kinda obvious, but really its the same for +5 geo.
Of course experienced and skilled players make a difference, I was more talking about players who actually intend to actively play their job compared to who treat GEO like a bubble_then_afk thing. Lots of Idris players like that around, at least on Asura.

For the rest I was simply stating that jse+2 is, quite obviously, closer to Idris than dunna.
At that threshold point imho things start being acceptable, especially if I'm gonna get a player who's not gonna play like a dumb mule.
Does this apply to dunna players too?
Sorta, I guess, it's just a more sour pill to swallow.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-21 02:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
The options are atrocious. Here's a set I use and was still able to DPS Reis Helms + Ambu VD1 last month (with buffs of course).
Granted I can't think of other interesting ammo options, you don't need to use Hasty Pinion +1 anymore if you put Raetic Bangles +1 in your hands intead of Gazu Bracelets +1. You gain lots of defensive stats, lots of att and ~12 acc.
Gazu+1 are becoming +3 soon though so maybe not worth it I dunno.

I compared the raw stats of your build with a generic Onca suit build.

I assumed same weapons for both sets so I didn't add their stats.
I forgot to check for MDB and MEva, might be higher in your set I dunno.
It's a ~56 Accuracy difference, which is quite nice for your set.
Only negative part of your set is 10% DW instead of 11% but no big deal I guess.

Onca suit set could be seen as an inventory saver, which it is, but when most other pieces in your set are shared by the WS set it's not that much inventory saving at all, in the end xD

Other options for your set would be Jeuno Volte Head/Body. With those you can skip Hasty Pinion +1, gain a lot of Meva and ~20 Accuracy (you do lose attack but lolattack in TP set for GEO anyway)
Last two options I can think of for Head and Body are Relic +3.
That's a gain of ~23 Accuracy, again a loss in Attack. They will leave you at 25% Haste so you're gonna need Hasty Pinion +1 again.
Wish Onca Suit +1 was a thing :(
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-21 02:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I forgot to say one small/big annoying thing about ddGEO.
You have to rely on using Maxentius MH to spam Black Halo.
This means no Idris and it's a huge pain to handle the MH lock on Gearswap when you want to account re-casting bubbles when engaged.
Also TP lost each time you do etc.

Sadly Idris MH is not really... that good. Even at R15. Yes with AM3 up it's fine I guess but as we all know in most circumstances it's not worth it to wait 3k to activate AM3.

Also I wonder Buukki, when you do group content with multiple targets and no alliance hate, how do you quickly tag stuff to apply the bubble when you're /NIN or /DNC?
I guess you could Dispelga with Daybreak, but that's even more TP reset for you, and it can be MP intense unless you have Refresh3 up and/or stuff to Aspir around you.
By SimonSes 2020-01-21 05:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Gazu+1 are becoming +3 soon though so maybe not worth it I dunno.

Source?
Afaik we dont know anything about it. I even recall someone saying it's not gonna be +2 and/or +3, but augments (with single choice like for JSE necks).
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2020-01-21 05:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

This means no Idris and it's a huge pain to handle the MH lock on Gearswap when you want to account re-casting bubbles when engaged.
I didn't know 'if spell.type = "Geomancy" and disable.table[0] then' was a huge PIA.

SimonSes said: »
Source?
Afaik we dont know anything about it. I even recall someone saying it's not gonna be +2 and/or +3, but augments (with single choice like for JSE necks)
From everything FaeQueenCory translated it's going to be a single augment path.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-21 05:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh so the +2/+3 thing was a bad translation and it's gonna be a fixed aug?
Not sure if I like it more this way.
If the aug is cool it could make some of those useless pieces interesting again.

I kinda liked the idea of re-igniting the market of WANTED mats by requiring a plethora to upgrade to +2 and +3. Plus yellow box yo! XD

Quote:
I didn't know 'if spell.type = "Geomancy" then' was a huge PIA.
It's a pain because you need to unlock your MH then lock it again (if you go the "lock main when engaged" route, which is noticeably the simplest and most straightforward way to handle that on mage jobs that want to engage and melee).
Regardless of how you do it, it still means losing TP, it's super annoying imho.
Not sure if other people are not bothered by it, I personally despise it with all my heart.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
By Asura.Chiaia 2020-01-21 05:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Regardless of how you do it, it still means losing TP, it's super annoying imho.
Asura.Sechs "This means no Idris and it's a huge pain to handle the MH lock on Gearswap when you want to account re-casting bubbles when engaged."
Losing TP is annoying but it's not a PIA to handle at all.

Also I updated the above must of missed it.
Code
if spell.type = "Geomancy" and disable_table[0] then
By SimonSes 2020-01-21 05:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh so the +2/+3 thing was a bad translation and it's gonna be a fixed aug?
Not sure if I like it more this way.
If the aug is cool it could make some of those useless pieces interesting again.

I kinda liked the idea of re-igniting the market of WANTED mats by requiring a plethora to upgrade to +2 and +3. Plus yellow box yo! XD

FaeQueenCory said: »
Well you're going to be waiting to a long time for that. (that +2/3 derp has nothing to do with how the UCNM gear will be. The +3 thing seems to be the bot mistaking an "an/nn" ("uh" or "um" in Japanese) for "san". The statement seemed to be "+2... uh.... Ambuscade equipment" for the offending "translation" subtitles.)

What we know from this:

The new battle content is instanced.

It uses multiple servers for congestion. (Just like Ambuscade does now.)

The first will be CL119 for regard to returnees.

Higher levels will be added later. (Or it might be that it grows in power like Incursion? I'm uncertain on what was meant.)

The rewards/upgrades will be equal in power to +2 Ambuscade gear.

Accessories are included, so it's not just weapons and armors.

What was said in #47:

Upgrades will be single-path ranked augments, not +2ing. (no word on the full level)

Only the +1s will get augments, no NQ items.

Upgrading won't involve UCNM system at all.

However there's been some ambiguity with them using the word "reforge"... So until the 3rd (probably) at the earliest, is when we'll get the details... should February be the update with the new content. And that it's on the 10th.

But until they clear up any details having changed plans; the above is what has been told to us so far, and what we should expect until new information is revealed otherwise.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-21 06:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
Losing TP is annoying but it's not a PIA to handle.
PIA stands for, uhm Pain In the ***?
I dunno, I find it really uselessly complex and, knowing me, I would have to add a manual trigger to handle every possible situation.
I hate this sort of things that create useless rabble in my luas.

If it doesn't bother you I'm honestly happy for you but it still doesn't change how I personally feel about it :x
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
By Asura.Chiaia 2020-01-21 06:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Losing TP is annoying but it's not a PIA to handle.
PIA stands for, uhm Pain In the ***?
I dunno, I find it really uselessly complex and, knowing me, I would have to add a manual trigger to handle every possible situation.
I hate this sort of things that create useless rabble in my luas.

If it doesn't bother you I'm honestly happy for you but it still doesn't change how I personally feel about it :x
My problem is you say it's a huge Pain (in the ***/Arse) to handle in Gearswap but it's not at all. Yes, losing TP is annoying but it's not a PIA in anyway to code for.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-21 06:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

My problem is you say it's a huge Pain (in the ***/Arse) to handle in Gearswap but it's not at all.
Are you sure you want to stand by this statement without having seen a single line of my lua or the way I handle the engage phase on my GEO lua?
:x

I'm not sure I would dare to go that far about someone else's lua honestly.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
By Asura.Chiaia 2020-01-21 06:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

My problem is you say it's a huge Pain (in the ***/Arse) to handle in Gearswap but it's not at all.
Are you sure you want to stand by this statement without having seen a single line of my lua or the way I handle the engage phase on my GEO lua?
:x

I'm not sure I would dare to go that far about someone else's lua honestly.
How you handle things is irrelevant how easy it can be is what I go by. I gave you examples. Also your engage phase matters why? We're talking recasting bubbles once you're engaged and your main hand is locked. I didn't just say it was easy but gave you how to handle it. Yes, I assumed you know what disable and enable are based of what you had said previously.
I'm not trying to fight with you Sechs you've helped me in the past and I've helped you. I'm just trying to point out it's not a Pain like you said with some tips on it. You've jumped from it being a pain to do in GS to it's pain because you lose TP which is a different thing all together.

I fully admit if you want to be a DD GEO but still cast bubbles that matter you're going to lose TP for sure. Has nothing to do with Gearswap. I just tried to help you minimize the DPS lose.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-21 06:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Losing TP on geo is fine because you're Geo your job is just to apply bubbles. TP comes after that. I usually place bubbles first, engage with my staff set, put on shell crusher, then recast luopan with dematerialize and then get to whacking. Multiple targets get handled with dispelga as mentioned. Good call on Bangles, I'll look at them
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2020-01-21 07:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

OP – COR or RDM would be great for you. You sound like you want some versatility and these two jobs have that in spades, although RDM is significantly more versatile. You also seem like you're willing to actually invest Gil into a job, and both of these re very Gil intensive jobs at this point. COR less than it used to be now that shards are much cheaper, but still.

COR is probably more needed in smaller group content, but RDM can be useful in that too. I think long-term, you're going to get more enjoyment out of RDM if you're willing to invest in it.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-21 07:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Buukki have you ever played melee GEO in Divergence? Talking about W1 and W2 of course.

I personally never had a chance, granted I fell a bit in a lack of interest phase for ddGEO over the last year or more because of the lack of interesting DD gear, but I've tried to keep myself up to date in general if I ever want to go back to it.

Aside from what would be the main issue for me (normally we put GEOs in off-parties, not in pts with a BRD or buffs) I think that the high mobility required on Divergence would make ddGEO quite, uhm, boring to play. Yes you could ask your whole alliance to play in a different way to make you as a ddGEO happy but realistically we know this is hardly going to happen for the majority of groups.

So yeah I wonder, if you've played GEO in Divergence, did you like it or did the high request of constantly moving the Luopan bothered you so much that you stopped playing DD in the end?

As I mentioned before I never had a chance to try, so far.
But I know my nerves must be on a low threshold of patience lately because I get annoyed even when I'm on ddBRD, because of people dying killing my 5 songs, or even having to recast the 2 fakes, then have one pt member with lower duration and all that stuff.
And let's not account for the random dispels (or Goblin dices in Jeuno).
So much that I normally go /WHM as a BRD lately, and play support, meleeing only on stuff that survives long enough for me to engage, like Wave2 Red eyes, big Wave2 pulls, maybe some Wave1 Red eyes, but those usually die too fast as well lol.

Ok ok, rant over sorry, was curious to check other people's feeling in Divergence.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-01-21 07:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I only Indi-Fury on Wave 1/2 fodder and only bother with Luopans on NMs. lol
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-21 07:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhm I hardly ever use Fury in Divergence, can't even remember the last time we've had a GEO in a dd PT lol.
When I'm on GEO (non DD, backline/support GEO) I only bother with Indi-Frailty on Wave1, Failty/Malaise on Wave1 Red Eyes (if they last long enough) and of course on Wave2 Red Eyes.

On Wave2 normal mobs most of the time I just indi-Frailty, sometimes landing a Luopan (which depending on what we pulled I guess) if the pull is big enough.
But yeah most of the time stuff dies so fast that I don't really bother with Luopan.
I'm lazy I know, never denied it!
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-21 08:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Buukki have you ever played melee GEO in Divergence?

I haven't...yet. I plan to. I'll probably do what Llewelyn said and indi-frailty in max duration set and dispelga adds, while keep something like an entrust on someone nearby. Normally only need a luopan for NMs, since stuff dies so quickly. Maybe in Wave2 where it takes a little longer, but if we needed support that bad I probably wouldn't sub NIN or DNC. It's a fun little thing to do, though since you always have to be in range of other DDs and you have an A+ rating in Club, so why not. I'm sure with enough accuracy, someone could make Kraken Club offhand work for GEO, but might require a precision or personal request for madrigals from your BRD friend.

Now, I'm not telling people to abdicate their GEO duties, that always comes first and foremost (then stuff like shellcrusher/debuffs/cures/-na's). Just got tired of being asked to come GEO to stuff and I was expected to just sit there idle while curebots healed faster than I ever could. Especially in certain zerg fights where heals and debuffs are already covered. So might as well get some Maxentius whacks in while I'm here. I'm going to continue playing around with some sets, now that you mentioned those bangles.
By Nariont 2020-01-21 09:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

GEO relic +2/3 is also an okay set to TP in, lacks the attack that jhakri provides but has much more haste, and defensive stats, still would be nice to get a decent set to TP in for mages, if just for the novelty of it.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2020-01-21 09:18:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhm I hardly ever use Fury in Divergence, can't even remember the last time we've had a GEO in a dd PT lol.
When I'm on GEO (non DD, backline/support GEO) I only bother with Indi-Frailty on Wave1, Failty/Malaise on Wave1 Red Eyes (if they last long enough) and of course on Wave2 Red Eyes.

On Wave2 normal mobs most of the time I just indi-Frailty, sometimes landing a Luopan (which depending on what we pulled I guess) if the pull is big enough.
But yeah most of the time stuff dies so fast that I don't really bother with Luopan.
I'm lazy I know, never denied it!

You do realize that Frailty / Maliase is a complete waste of time in Dynamis D due to -75% effectiveness of Geomancer debuffs on champion mobs. Fury is actually more effective at raising your pDiff. Idris Frailty is normally -41.8% defense down, inside Dynamis D it's -10.45% defense down. Fury on the other hand keeps it's full potency of 61.7% attack up. Also if your not putting a Geomancer in your DD party then you are hurting them pretty badly as their gonna be so hard pressed for pDiff that they might as well use magic WS's. Acumen + Barrier if your in a magic based PT (BLU or COR), Fury + Barrier if your in a melee based PT, barrier helps in the sudden spike damage that happens when someone cleaves 10+ monsters, which is a small pull.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-21 09:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
GEO relic +2/3 is also an okay set to TP in, lacks the attack that jhakri provides but has much more haste, and defensive stats, still would be nice to get a decent set to TP in for mages, if just for the novelty of it.

Yeah I looked into Relic +3 before I built my mashed-together set. Problem with all of GEOs TP builds is that it is going to lack somewhere (STP, Multi-attack, DW, Haste, Acc/Att), and you will need to make sacrifices just to cap haste and DW (if /nin). More leeway single wielding, but then your tp gain is slow.