New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Packetgate - Results
Packetgate - Results
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 29 30 31
By clearlyamule 2019-11-20 15:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
If you know, there's no reason not to open all 9 every single time. you're passing up more louds
Assuming their were any louds in the batch. Had some have no thuds after a full 9
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-20 15:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, obviously, but if you knew the mimic was in box 8 there would be zero logical reason not to open all 9 other boxes, even if they were all noises. You would hope they were louds, and you would absolutely open them on the chance they could be.

Even if you got a loud noise on box 1, and you knew the location of the mimic... you would open the other 8 every single time.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Leosin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Leosin
By Lakshmi.Leosin 2019-11-20 15:51:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Even if you got a loud noise on box 1, and you knew the location of the mimic... you would open the other 8 every single time.

Agreed. No point in leaving unopened boxes.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2019-11-20 16:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What if there were more than 1 mimic!?!

Also I think yall missed something
Caerda said: »

100% of the time … you can still fail 30% of the time
See this is why he doesn't keep going because his method is like sex panther
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-20 16:09:52
Link | Quote | Reply

There could be more than 1 mimic, I don't think there is, but I'll concede it's not a 0% chance.

But if you somehow know the location of one, you should know the location of all, and you would open all non-mimic boxes.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2019-11-20 16:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Does the mimic show up in the mob hex id list? or just chests?
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-11-20 18:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinxs said: »
Does the mimic show up in the mob hex id list? or just chests?

It shows up at the location of the chest it last popped from in that bc instance. It has no correlation to which is a mimic in the current round, that is just how SE's entity handler works.
By Artsncrafts 2019-11-20 18:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Between two characters Caerda has 2 omen bodies. The guy is just pulling your leg ppl, ive done many many runs, and imo your best bet is to just follow the same pattern every time until you see loud thud.

Caerda used others selling bodies as proof, well the person that was buying orbs is now gone, he disappeared around the time dupers were banned, could be coincidence...

And you getting lucky once doesnt proof anything...
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2019-11-20 18:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
i don't see why it would matter how quickly you get there, they would have to intentionally code something to change how the chest displays
Im not saying theres something that says "Here! pick this chest!" im saying client side the chest graphics load at the same distance. if you come in at normal speed they will have had time to load, if you come in faster you can see the chest blink as their colors load and they do not do it uniformly. The theory is whichever chest's light loads last is the mimic but theres 10(11 with main) that load at the same time and the change is within 1 second. The way it was explained to me is the guy who discovered it would record him entering and go back and re-watch the chest loading before opening a box but you could see it if you are fast enough.

And as i said this is 2nd/3nd hand info i tested it twice, i saw the chest blinking but i didnt feel like recording it or reviewing it or wasting orbs over it. So its probably BS but it is something you -could- do with vanilla.

Unlike what was implied im not here from 'Big boxma' trying to take your hard earned orbs.I advise againsnt using your orbs on this unless you want to waste them to test. Im sharing a possible lead that i can confirm theres a difference in the boxes lighting up if you come in at normal speed vs faster speed. I just dont know if it means anything.
 Phoenix.Erics
Server: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2019-11-20 18:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Artsncrafts said: »
The guy is just pulling your leg ppl, ive done many many runs, and imo your best bet is to just follow the same pattern every time until you see loud thud.
This is what i do every time. I've even posted what i got after a full month of doing this with 4 characters the dagon mail. I also couple other non omen but rare bodies. Ive also gotten the orph sash and whm ring from trove (and wsdmg ring from goblin box.)
 Cerberus.Aerandir
Server: Cerberus
user: aerandir
By Cerberus.Aerandir 2019-11-20 18:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the next hint going to be zooming in on the chat log and clock?
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-11-20 19:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Erics said: »
Im not saying theres something that says "Here! pick this chest!" im saying client side the chest graphics load at the same distance. if you come in at normal speed they will have had time to load, if you come in faster you can see the chest blink as their colors load and they do not do it uniformly. The theory is whichever chest's light loads last is the mimic but theres 10(11 with main) that load at the same time and the change is within 1 second. The way it was explained to me is the guy who discovered it would record him entering and go back and re-watch the chest loading before opening a box but you could see it if you are fast enough.

If the server does not send any different info, there is no way for the client to know to treat one chest any differently. Thus, any difference is solely due to client sided behavior and means absolutely nothing.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2019-11-20 19:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

As I stated earlier there are many more variables that come into play. It would only take you 38080 orbs to be able to know where the mimic is 100% of the time per orb, per zone. Even then you can still fail 30% of the time if you get greedy.
Are you saying you ARE the Goblin King?
YouTube Video Placeholder

if it's not starting at the right spot:
https://youtu.be/lK_xCyeFqgE?t=945
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-11-20 20:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

oh *** - it works - and you can tell the thuds

[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-11-20 21:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Never said anything about having to open 9 boxes. Just knowing where it is.

"Hey gaiz, i know where the mimic is, but im NOT going to open all the boxes lulz imsosmart"

Troll confirmed.
[+]
 Asura.Aquatiq
user: Aquatiq
By Asura.Aquatiq 2019-11-21 00:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

that's it? it CAN'T be that easy. wtb luck now

[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-11-21 01:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
YYH

Kurama still giving chills.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2019-11-21 02:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

karasu and elder toguro
 Asura.Pocketgeo
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Pocketgeo 2019-11-21 03:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

KONAMI CODE OF COURSE!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Pantafernando 2019-11-21 05:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no real random number.

Its all a function that select a defined number based on parameters given (RNG).

So, to discover what chest is the right or wrong one, you just need to figure the algorithm.

Simple like that
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-11-21 07:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

kireek said: »
It stands to reason the exploit that let you trade items for unlimited medals would obviously work if you're trading silver vouchers for orbs too. In theory they would have one trade module all these NPC call to and fixing one would fix the exploit everywhere in the game
They did. And yes, people were using it for silver vouchers(to get 8x as many, not unlimited). It is fixed now, you cannot use it on any NPC as far as I know, I tested with irrelevant garbage quests in sandy right after the maintenance.

Quote:
given they had to later fix VW trades maybe not though.
VW was an entirely different issue with an entirely different packet. You could send the option 'take out as cell' on an item that was not a cell, and still receive the cell for that boss, provided at least one real cell had been given out since the last maintenance to fill the buffer. So, you could basically convert every drop you got to a cell as desired.

Pantafernando said: »
Its all a function that select a defined number based on parameters given (RNG).

So, to discover what chest is the right or wrong one, you just need to figure the algorithm.

Simple like that
While this is true from a technical perspective, in almost all cases it's using a seed from time intervals much much smaller than communication interval. That makes it impossible to abuse, even if you had the source for it sitting in front of you, because you do not have enough control over the precision of your timing.
By Nyarlko 2019-11-23 16:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I still believe that every chest has a chance to spawn the Mimic. This would make the most sense programming-wise, as that would prevent client-side from being easily cheat-able and effectively be more random (and move the odds more in favor of "the house") than assigning the Mimic to a specific box which is exposed on client-side in any way. All they'd need to do this way would be to re-purpose the standard loot table system with set rates for data flags that determine the final loot pool for the small handful of possible result states.

Assuming there is a server-side roll when you poke a box, I suspect that the odds are higher than 10% spawn chance. My eyeballed experience would put it somewhere between 1/5-1/3.

If the Mimic were assigned to a specific box when starting the zone, then getting it on the first pick should be a much, much rarer occasion than it is. >.>

BTW, MobIDs on the normal boxes are always the same based on positioning, and the Mimic has a different ID than the boxes.

I know not the ways of packet sniffing, so can't confirm/deny absolutely that it's not assigned (and therefore detectable in some way client-side,) but seems like the programmer would have to be both high and brain-damaged to choose that sort of system for implementation.
By Nyarlko 2019-11-23 16:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
While this is true from a technical perspective, in almost all cases it's using a seed from time intervals much much smaller than communication interval. That makes it impossible to abuse, even if you had the source for it sitting in front of you, because you do not have enough control over the precision of your timing.

Especially since the communication interval has a large enough variance that I was forced to give up work on my music-making addon to play with /bell. The system clock heartbeat has like a .75 sec variance range, IIRC. :(
By spengler 2019-11-26 13:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry about the bump but I thought it should be noted here that another ban wave went out for this exploit.

Eiryl/Elidyr and others that said that they would be safe were proved wrong. Quite unfortunate for those of us who said this was what was going to happen. (I almost had the time-line perfect too)

Post deleted by User.
By fillerbunny9 2019-11-26 14:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2019-11-26 14:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

spengler said: »
Sorry about the bump but I thought it should be noted here that another ban wave went out for this exploit.

Eiryl/Elidyr and others that said that they would be safe were proved wrong. Quite unfortunate for those of us who said this was what was going to happen. (I almost had the time-line perfect too)
my ls gonna be even emptier
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 29 30 31