Is It Worth Leveling Fishing In 2019?

Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » Is it worth leveling fishing in 2019?
Is it worth leveling fishing in 2019?
By Snoctopus 2019-10-24 11:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey everyone,

I've recently returned to the game, and was wondering if fishing was still a decent source of income these days. I know it's been up and down over the years, and I remember it used to be an insane time commitment to level.

My skill is pretty low, so I'd effectively be "just starting out".
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-10-24 11:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really. Theres still money....... IF there are buyers. Puffers. Liks. Gugs. Shapers fish that I can't name anymore lol... matsya?

Or find a cook that will buy molamola or sublime fish.

Very low on the potential vs time though.
[+]
 Asura.Botosi
Server: Asura
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2019-10-24 11:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's face it; if you're fishing for gil you're not going to be doing it manually. I'd imagine botting sparks/accolades > botting fish for income. With the time wasted on finding a seller (along with the cramped inventory until you can sell it all) you can't be making that much doing fishing nowadays.
[+]
By Snoctopus 2019-10-24 12:27:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Appreciate the candor, Botosi. I haven't jumped on the bot train yet, and was hoping that fishing could be a good "low-effort" task that I could do to chill out while half-paying attention to it. If it's not worth it though I'll probably look into one of the more traditional crafts.

It's kinda a bummer to hear it's not worth it anymore, I like fishing in MMOs.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2019-10-24 13:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Snoctopus said: »
Appreciate the candor, Botosi. I haven't jumped on the bot train yet, and was hoping that fishing could be a good "low-effort" task that I could do to chill out while half-paying attention to it. If it's not worth it though I'll probably look into one of the more traditional crafts.

It's kinda a bummer to hear it's not worth it anymore, I like fishing in MMOs.

I like it too, but grinding in this game is not really higher-effort than fishing.
 Bismarck.Sterk
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Sterk 2019-10-24 13:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I only bother using my fishing for Dusckcrawlers and Ashen Crayfish for personal use.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-10-24 14:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, if you're not heavily focusing on Cooking, it might not be worth bothering with.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2019-10-24 15:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Echoing everyone's comments that fishing is pretty low reward in 2019 from a financial perspective. Really only useful to ensure a supply of pop items (like Sterk mentioned) and cooking mats.

Or, if you're like me, using it as a meaningless badge of honor. I just like having glowy red and blue fishing rods and capped skill, and mostly leveled it as a way to pass the time during idle chitchat. Didn't and wouldn't do it for the money though.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2019-10-24 16:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Worth it only if you want the trophy rods and quest/RoE completions I guess

citation: has 110 fishing, but no ebisu because zaldon refuses to give me a saber shoot
 Bahamut.Inspectorgadget
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Inspectorgadget 2019-10-24 16:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if Hakuryus weren't nerfed 5 years ago it wouldn't be worth it anymore from a money making perspective.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2019-10-24 19:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Or, if you're like me, using it as a meaningless badge of honor. I just like having glowy red and blue fishing rods and capped skill, and mostly leveled it as a way to pass the time during idle chitchat. Didn't and wouldn't do it for the money though.

Same. Didn't feel right not having a capped skill.
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2019-10-24 20:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

TL;DR: Not really. Few niche reasons why, but wouldnt apply to everyone.

A bit more detail:
I mean, if you want an easier way to get craft skillups with Shapers Shawl from Matsyas, then yeah. That'd be my "biggest" benefit from 110+ fishing (with ebisu+1).

Other ***would be the Ashen Crayfish in escha-sky, and if you're cheap, culinary ingredients. There's always people (at least when I was doing it) buying the Ebisu fish for the 2 items, so thats also an option.

In all honesty, I havent used fishing in a few years outside of needing a few quick crayfish.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Shichishito 2019-10-25 16:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

not worth it from a gil perspective even coupled with cooking. you can make up theoretical scenarios where it becomes profitable but realities like competition, limited inventory and slow sales will make most other gil makers pull ahead.

even though questionable if its worth all the effort i'd like to mention that the final quests for ebisu +1 are among the best the entire game has to offer imho.