Language: JP EN DE FR
2010-09-08
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Optimun Online Ripping people off
Optimun Online Ripping people off
By nomarzenun 2019-10-04 05:58:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Another price increase from Optimun online. They decided to increase my internet speed without my request in order to justify the hike, but here is the catch they didn't actually increased my internet speed.

Every year they are trying to increase their profit by coming out with nonsense justification, they "increase" their internet service speed and force their customers that don't have any other service option in their area to deal with it. Now they don't give you a choice on lower speed to pay less. I was force to go from 30 to 50, from 50 to 100 and now to 200 mbits and every time they eliminate the lower speed so you can't go back.

They increased to 200 mbits a year ago and didn't notice till today because my bill increased. Like many I don't get paper bills so I don't see the break down before I pay, I just see the balance and pay it.

I usually do speed check when my internet start acting up and for the pass year my internet speed has been 90-100 mbits. After I saw the bill I did a speed test and guess what, 90-100 mbits. They did the same when they increased my speed from 50-100 and I had to call when 3 months into the so call increase I didn't notice any difference in speed. This is getting charge for service not provided.

I'm posting this for the people to notice the trend optimun is trying to impose on us. They have a monopoly in areas of Brooklyn and Bronx. People aren't buying their TV and phone service because there are many others that provide better service than they do and their only money maker is their internet service because people don't have a choice.

So check your internet speed and bill to see what you are paying for.
Please share this information and wish me luck, I'm about to call them.
By Gorion 2019-10-04 06:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm at 200 mbps download and 30 up load and I use optimum. while i do agree that they are ripping us off. there is no alternative at this time
 Asura.Slyshenx
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Slyshen1
By Asura.Slyshenx 2019-10-04 06:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Not possible to just pay extra for a mobile hotspot from your phone? I know it won't be anywhere near as fast but I've run x3 accounts at once while watching netflix on 3G speeds before no problem. If you're trying to get internet for your entire house, though, different story.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-10-04 09:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The place to complain about this is to your state and congressional representatives, and your borough, city, and state district attorney's offices.

They can act, we can only sympathize.
[+]
 Asura.Slyshenx
Server: Asura
user: Slyshen1
By Asura.Slyshenx 2019-10-04 10:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
The place to complain about this is to your state and congressional representatives, and your borough, city, and state district attorney's offices.

How else do you spread the word? You think you'll get anywhere if you just walk in by yourself demanding something to change?
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2019-10-04 10:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I read this as
OPTIMUS PRIME IS RIPPING PEOPLE OFF

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2019-10-04 12:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

200 Megabytes per second download feels a little excessive even with today's bandwitch and file sizes. You can get by doing anything online with a 50 or 70 MBPS connection just fine. And lets be honest, most file hosting sites limit the size of a file you can upload. In order to store 3 or 4 gigabyte file sizes you usually have to go to a premium file storage site and they're going to charge you a monthly fee for the services. How often do you find yourself downloading gigabyte + files? I know they're out there, but for typical web surfing and everyday use it's not a common occurance, and even people who do lot of media downloading wouldn't have issues getting their stuff with a 70 MB/second connection. If anything, the download bottleneck would come from the download source throttling file transfer speed to preserve their own network integrity rather than anything on your own ISP's end.

Sure back in the day when ISP's offered file download packages of 1 MBPS, 5 MBPS, 10 MBPS, and 15 MBPS getting the premium package would offer you a significantly better web surfing experience, but nowadays we're capable of such excessive badwitch speeds that ISP's can offer half to full gigabyte per second downloads, which is something that even most mega corporations should have to struggle to effectively tap out. Offering 200 MBPS to the home consumer as an option is fine, but it shouldn't be the standard minimum when you know they probably can't take advantage of it. That just sounds like price gouging your consumer base for corporate greed to me.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-10-04 14:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Slyshenx said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »

How else do you spread the word? You think you'll get anywhere if you just walk in by yourself demanding something to change?
You don't walk in. You write letters.

With documentation.
By Jetackuu 2019-10-04 20:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Your speeds aren't guaranteed, welcome to localized monopolies, 'Murica